• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God of War Gameplay

Manus

Looks like they got The Last of Us in my God of War...sigh Don't get me wrong I loved the Last of Us but come on.

I'm so sick and tired of cinematic gaming in video games. I feel like every AAA game that is released this day is like this. Monster Hunter World was such a breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

kevm3

graphics look awesome, but the fighting looks like uncharted/last of us, which is completely unfitting for this game, and that kid is extremely annoying. I really wish they would take him out.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Looks pretty solid.
They should of just done a new I.P though.
I bet it will get around 85 on metacritic.

Dargor

Man that looks great, can't wait to put my hands on this game.

The only thing I disliked is the disappearing shield, I really preffer when our equipment is on display all the time. Having it appear and disappear like that is so weird.

Hotspurr

Banned
Looks like a fun 3rd person action adventure.
Combat reminds me of darksiders a little bit. I generally don't expect to play GoW for intricate combat, mostly just something to do while I enjoy the story and high production values.
I think people consider GoW in the hack-n-slash genre (perhaps less so this most recent iteration), but sadly it falls into the C tier in terms of this type of gameplay. DMC/Ninja Gaiden being tier A (maybe NiOh now too), and Bayonetta and anything Platinum as tier B.

This game looks rather mundane, unlike the rest of Sony's stable I do not see this fairing well critically or by community reception.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm still looking forward to this game because I played all God of War games I want to see where story takes Kratos but god fucking damn it!!! When Capcom changed Resident Evil's gameplay style from 3 to 4, they still able keep the part of what made series Survival Horror even tho they changed camera angle but here developers decided to make Last of Us style game and they put half ass RPG element in to it. We had 100 of these type of games but we barely get any character action games these days. I get developers want changes things up with series but they cant just fucking take heart of what made God of War, God of War. This so fucking frustrating!!!

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Super hyped for this, don't understand TLOU comparisons apart from the camera angle, playing GOWIII atm and I can see why it needed a change.
The orange is lava, I believe elements play a role in the game... Most enemies are fire.
The combat seems to be a bit more layered and I can't wait to see how the lore develops, very beautiful too.

Danjin44

Super hyped for this, don't understand TLOU comparisons apart from the camera angle, playing GOWIII atm and I can see why it needed a change.
The orange is lava, I believe elements play a role in the game... Most enemies are fire.
The combat seems to be a bit more layered and I can't wait to see how the lore develops, very beautiful too.
I love GOW series, so I'm hoping I'm wrong about this same way I was wrong about Tokyo Mirage Session from first glance. But with every new gameplay shown it like my biggest fear is coming true. My biggest fear we wont have those epic boss fights like we did with pervious GOW games.

I'm still looking forward to this game because I played all God of War games I want to see where story takes Kratos but god fucking damn it!!! When Capcom changed Resident Evil's gameplay style from 3 to 4, they still able keep the part of what made series Survival Horror even tho they changed camera angle but here developers decided to make Last of Us style game and they put half ass RPG element in to it. We had 100 of these type of games but we barely get any character action games these days. I get developers want changes things up with series but they cant just fucking take heart of what made God of War, God of War. This so fucking frustrating!!!
Yeah, I've played them all too. The Last God of Souls isn't clicking with me from watching gameplay either. Maybe it's actually good when the controller is in your hands, like Darksiders, but it's definitely a try before you buy from me.

Also I freaking hate that kid already. Hope there is a shut the fuck up for more than 2 seconds command in there.

And the child companion that seems to work just like Ellie but with basic commands added, getting on knees and then boosting companion onto ledge as you wait for them to find something you can use to get up on the ledge as well, and going into a TPS/Souls control scheme with said camera.

Yeah, that comparison is totally baseless.....

Last edited:

Nimoy

Neo Member
I want to be excited for this but without the Blades of Chaos/Athena it's going to be really hard for this to feel like GOD OF WAR.

MayauMiao

Looks awesome. I like that you don't have to worry about his kid, and he is Kratos' support. The upgrades looks nice too and gives the game longevity. Can't wait!

DavidGzz

What am I reading on here
It looks fucking awesome

Exactly! I guess I'm one of the ones that prefer the Souls style combat over insane Ninja Gaiden nowadays. Can't wait!

I just hope it looks good on base PS4, I'm now used to 4k visuals and I never upgraded to the Pro.

Last edited:
Okay, I've only watched a few minutes of that footage but I've already seen enough and I'll be buying this on day one. It's time for me to go on a media blackout for this one. Hyped.

Last edited:
Calm down. It's better that a TC does offer an opinion otherwise we end up in race wars to post 'news' with nothing else of interest. If you disagree with the conclusion then offer insight as to why. This post is far worse than the OP
Sigh...

OP, I appreciate the effort you went into posting this. Regrettably you do not find the source content to be to your liking and that is honestly too bad, for I have had an immensely satisfying experience rejoicing in these clips that you have provided. I appreciate your colorful commentary on your disdain. I'm glad this is the OP for these clips.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Exactly! I guess I'm one of the ones that prefer the Souls style combat over insane Ninja Gaiden nowadays. Can't wait!

I just hope it looks good on base PS4, I'm now used to 4k visuals and I never upgraded to the Pro.
Its not that thats bad gameplay. Its just off-putting seeing that form of gameplay in the next big installment of a series thats renown for its fast-paced combo system. (Plus it does kinda look like pandering to the TLoU or RYSE cinematic approach)

It'd be like if gears 5 was made into a top-down stick shooter instead of a cover-based tps.

The Shepard

This looks great and I imagine it will have big sales. God of war was definitely starting to feel stale when I played ascension, I couldn't even complete it and I've completed all of them. I'm defo in the "I'm glad it changed" camp. My most wanted game. Can't wait.

Armorian

Banned
When GOW3 came out many people wanted series to change after 5 games that were very similar, it's interesting that it's a negative right now. Game looks quite good to me, reviews will tell us if it really is.

Ar¢tos

All I could think while watching that was : SHUT THE FUCK UP KID!
If there is no way to control how much the stupid kid talks I will wait for a good PSN sale instead of buying it at launch. If I wanted to hear kids babble I would visit my nephews.

Fbh

Looks pretty good IMO. I was worried about the combat after the initial reveal trailer but it actually looks really fun here. I hope the enemy variety is good.

The only thing I still dislike is the kid. Both his dialog and voice acting sound off IMO. If you close your eyes he sounds almost cartooney (like some sidekick in a Disney show/movie) and it seems out of place in the GOW universe.

DavidGzz

Its not that thats bad gameplay. Its just off-putting seeing that form of gameplay in the next big installment of a series thats renown for its fast-paced combo system. (Plus it does kinda look like pandering to the TLoU or RYSE cinematic approach)

It'd be like if gears 5 was made into a top-down stick shooter instead of a cover-based tps.

That's understandable, I wasn't a huge fan of the series before so this change is welcome to me. I get where you're coming from though, for many RE4 was an upgrade to the Resident Evil series, for me it sucked since it no longer felt like RE.

Pretty much, and it doesn't even look like it's living up to the stuff it's copying, and I don't just mean the gameplay itself, but look at the kids personality and dialogue (especially during combat) and then compare it to Ellie. Glad I'm not seeing too much positive reception to him, this could be the greatest game ever but that fucking kid.....damn!

It's not that it looks necessarily bad, but the game just has that "all these other games were popular, acclaimed, and they sold, so we'll do it too!" vibe to what I've seen so far, which is popular in "AAA" gaming (see FPS' after CoD4), but comes off as missing what actually made those games special when watching someone else play it. Like you see Souls influence in the controls over traditional action game controls (even Nioh didn't adopt the Souls control scheme since it was faster), but is that a good thing when those controls were designed for a harder and slower pace, and not for super axe whacking fun time? We'll see.

Like I implied in my previous post I thought Darksiders 1 looked like shit (not that I'm saying this GoW footage looks like shit, but I did Darksiders) when watching someone else play it, but the demo changed my mind as I really liked it. However super cinematic flashy flashy look at the piss detail on that rock graphics footage don't sell me on a game like they used to, but I'm hoping for the best and that it's really good.

But seriously, fuck Kratos' kid.

Last edited:

Dunki

I am sorry but that is not God of War. This feels like Sony has lost somehow the talent to create anything other than Last of Us like games.

Back in the old game he did climb Titans and now he needs help from a little boy to get him a ladder? I am so not interested in this game. Luckily Yakuza 6 comes out almost on the same date.

drotahorror

The more I see, the more I think the combat looks like shit. Probably grab this on a sale.

So what's left for big exclusives for PS4 this year? Spiderman and Detroit?

Rodolink

It's sad they ditched such a polished combat gameplay for a generic one that doesn't give anything new. At least from what I see on the videos, gotta play it myself to see if they change my mind.

cormack12

Gold Member
This excerpt doesn't excite me, and I loved GoWIII and didn't even mind Ascension. I can't help feel but those who complain about the simplistic button mashing of those titles where the same people who moaned and moaned about the Labyrinth in GoWIII and the Trial of Archimedes in Ascension (which eventually was nerfed in a patch) - despite the extra mechanics on hand to manage the encounters. Even on higher difficulties the combat increased in complexity and depth. But the common theme seems to be 'button mashing shit', which is just wrong. Yeah on easy, you could ▢, ▢, △ your way through large chunks of the game.

Just looking at the interface to the game is horrible - those bright yellow energy bars? And needing to 'charge' a finisher - would be interesting to revisit those 'Ryse' threads now. The point is the finishers were earned by taking down a middle tier enemy (Minotaur, Cyclops, Centaur etc.). Now you have to do that, and mess about doing it in a certain way to earn a QTE. No thanks. The troll fight was disgusting, and the energy bar just screamed 'Dark Souls imitation', with poorer combat. Running in to hack at knees, I'm bored of it now. In the earlier titles the BoE/BoA had reach and you could jump, hitting the enemy in various places. All the popups on every screen as well - worse than Rise of the Tomb Raider, and that had a noticeable amount as well. It looks like a game that FHI would publish with the stellar artwork of SSM. Like The Witcher meets Bound by Flame/Lords of the Fallen.

I respect that maybe the team wanted to make a different type of game but Kratos's story was done. He was left to lie. Most of the threads created were actually around the fact that people hated his character and he was an asshole. So the answer is to create a story arc where his character changes (due the child), yet Kratos was still a rage machine even when it was clear he was touched by Pandora in III. The more I see of this the more I think this is a project that the team really wanted to make and had to slap the IP over the top to either get funding or because they lacked the assurance it would be a success after the pathetic internet reaction to The Order 1886. They need to look at Guerilla Games and what they did with Horizon I feel for inspiration here.

The previous games were fast, fluid and that led to a brutality that is just missing from everything I've seen so far. It drove a sense of urgency into the quest, that's now missing.. It's descended into let's go on epic quest but take it really slowly and meander from point to point, having long drawn out battles with trash mobs. That's not even mentioning the platforming/traversal as well. I understand and respect there are a large swathe of gamers excited for this title, but they also need to respect and acknowledge that the existing fanbase who loved these titles are being left high and dry. Since the first trailer, the criticisms and concerns have been there from us, and enough time has passed now that these concerns could have been alleviated. Instead we get the same small cutscenes, with small amounts of enemies and the same mash enemy until dead, then take out the next one MO. A major part of the titles was mob management and prioritising enemies, freezing them with Medusa's head, or cloning yourself with an amulet. I think this looks like an imitation of other titles, and it looks worse than them. Walking round at Uncharted pace to arena's with that combat doesn't grab me or excite me.

The reality is I'm probably going to buy it anyway because I love the franchise but it might not be a day one and I might just see what reactions are like first. I'd love for the studio to take some of the concerns of the fans of the previous 2/3 games and show us something that at least indicates that the heart and soul of the game is still there. I mean we're down to single wielding an axe with a shield on our back.

Caestus / BoE / BoA / Nemesis Whip were all dual wields, why hamstring himself. Lose the kid and the bow and equip another axe?

This is the intro/early starter area for Ascension - the difference is like night and day here

Danjin44

As if we already don't have enough games trying to be "like Souls" these days.

My problem with kid is not how much he talks but way he talks. I can't exactly put my finger on it but it feels like the kid is not in same era but rather he just transported from modern era.

Last edited:

Super_EMT

Neo Member
As a long time God of War fan, I can’t help but feel disappointed with this new entry after 10 years since the glorious God of War 3. I was so excited for the new and this is what it came down to?
I was upset they replaced the original voice actor. In my opinion his voice is what makes Kratos.
Combat seems painfully slow and it feels more stiff. In previous God of War you could take multiple enemies from every direction.
Having someone to baby sit throughout the game is possibly the most ridiculous addition to GoW.

Danjin44

As a long time God of War fan, I can’t help but feel disappointed with this new entry after 10 years since the glorious God of War 3. I was so excited for the new and this is what it came down to?
I was upset they replaced the original voice actor. In my opinion his voice is what makes Kratos.
Combat seems painfully slow and it feels more stiff. In previous God of War you could take multiple enemies from every direction.
Having someone to baby sit throughout the game is possibly the most ridiculous addition to GoW.
I guess people who never liked pervious GOW are happy about this but long time fans who follow the series from PS2, PSP and PS3 got completely screwed. Sigh.........:(

xviper

God of war is my favorite hack and slash series, but it had 6 main games with almost the exact same gameplay, exact same combos, a change is a must, i know that they kinda changed it too much, but the series needed a change, you can't make the same thing over and over and expect people to still love it, look at Gears of war 4, the game is pretty much the exact same thing as Gears 1 and look how many doesn't even remember that it came out, look at how Cod doing compared to the PS3\x360 era

do i have to remind you of Resident evil 7 ? and how almost all fans( including me) judged the game as another P.T rip off ? then it came out and it turned out to be an instant classic masterpiece

my only concern with the new God of war is 2 things, 1) lack of epic large boss battles, 2) trying to have an emotional story even though we only know Kratos as that blood thirsty savage badass who only cares about fucking and killing

so don't judge the game yet until it comes out, then we can decide if they fucked it up or not

Last edited:
i've seen non god of war fans hating the original series because it wasn't deep enough like the other games it was being compared to(dmc and ninja gaiden being one of them). This new god of war doesn't look any better though.

Dunki

God of war is my favorite hack and slash series, but it had 6 main games with almost the exact same gameplay, exact same combos, a change is a must, i know that they kinda changed it too much, but the series needed a change, you can't make the same thing over and over and expect people to still love it, look at Gears of war 4, the game is pretty much the exact same thing as Gears 1 and look how many doesn't even remember that it came out, look at how Cod doing compared to the PS3\x360 era

do i have to remind you of Resident evil 7 ? and how almost all fans( including me) judged the game as another P.T rip off ? then it came out and it turned out to be an instant classic masterpiece

my only concern with the new God of war is 2 things, 1) lack of epic large boss battles, 2) trying to have an emotional story even though we only know Kratos as that blood thirsty savage badass who only cares about fucking and killing

so don't judge the game yet until it comes out, then we can decide if they fucked it up or not
Resi 7 tried something bold though. This looks like any current AAA Sony 3rd person game to me. They even use the TLOU formular with mechanics, the kid companion, the camera etc. So now in development games like that at Sony and that we know of are. Last of Us 2, Days done, this one, and maybe other game we do not know of. Its like Sony has lost its creative edge

Danjin44

But here is the thing, at end of the day RE7 was still SURVIVAL HORROR game just like its pervious series even with new perspective. But in this new GOW, it's no longer hack & slash, It's like Bayonetta 3 turns in to RPG, sure it's different but its longer Bayonetta.

Last edited:
I guess people who never liked pervious GOW are happy about this but long time fans who follow the series from PS2, PSP and PS3 got completely screwed. Sigh.........:(
Completely screwed? You aren't entitled to that, the creators of those games you think you know better, created this and created something they wanted to create. You weren't "screwed".

Dante83

Banned
The gameplay is actually very solid with new mechanics and looks brutal, and I like the new camera perspective. I don't know what some of you are expecting. If it's similar to the previous games, I am sure you would be saying that it's the same old, same old. To be honest, ascension feels very tired and the formula was getting old. This is the fresh air the series needed. I saw that footage many times, and I like what I see. The scale of the environments and boss fights will be there, going by past trailers. This is just a short vid on the melee. I like it.

Top Bottom