• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God Of War III screens/trailer

jett

D-Member
bryehn said:
Honestly, considering the pedigree of the series I was expecting the best looking game yet on PS3. These screens do not deliver that.

This.

I think the problem is that everything looks too clean, there's not enough detail in the scenery. If I could use one word to describe these pictures it'd be "flat".

edit: Like elostyle said, it's the exact same art design mentality behind the PS2 games. Weird that they chose to replicate that on the PS3.

RubxQub said:
Game looks great and can't wait to play it.

Since I'm passing on KZ2 for terrible controls, I pray that this game can deliver.
So you have no other games to play on your PS3? -_- this comment really has no place in this thread anyway. Not trying to sound insulting, it just doesn't.

Zophar

Annihilator said:
I think it looks pretty awesome. I'm not sure what all the naysayers were expecting. Looks a million times better than Ninja Gaiden 2 and that new ninja game coming to the 360.
While I think thes screens look fantastic, that's not saying a whole lot. NG2 was one ugly-ass game.

Luckyman

Banned
jrricky said:
Not impressed at all...again.

Link_Posing.gif

:lol

Very suprised..

Esch

Banned
This reminds me of early Killzone 2 threads. Proof that if you want to have a game that makes people drop jaws or place a graphical stamp of approval, you need to normal map the shit out of everything and throw framerate out the window. Can't wait till we see the game prerelease in 2010 and people eat crow. By the time this game is finished, it will look incredible. It probably looks better in motion too. Why do you think the journos are gushing about the latest showing?

Thrakier

RubxQub said:

Since I'm passing on KZ2 for terrible controls, I pray that this game can deliver.

lol, nice one, I see what you did there. It still hurts, does it? ;)

elostyle said:
It looks very nice but I am surprised they stuck to the exact same look and style in textures and setting design that was essentially picked to make the game look good on PS2 hardware. It did, but it makes it look a bit dated now I think.

Funny, I was just thinking how happy I am that they kept a consistent visual look.

To me, what you think looks dated, looks fresh to me now that we've been accustomed to games stuffed full of normal maps and shiny surfaces.

I love the fact that each of sony's 1st party games all have engines that look distinct.

USD said:
Framerate doesn't exactly translate well onto screenshots (assuming this is 60FPS of course).

from hcoregamer
Everything in the game seems like it shouldn’t be running as smooth as it is. Even the smallest character in God of War III seems advanced and alive.

I'm hyped.

DrXym

I'm a little underwhelmed at the moment. Shadows are especially odd. But I think it will look great when all the atmospherics and other stuff are turned on.

Donos

ahhh now i see the whole titan in that picture (his shoulders etc.), oh shit if hes moving and fighting in the back while you are rocking in the front .... we need moving pictures ASAP

Yeah the "unimpressed" , "GoW1 in HD..." ppl are totally expected after the "painting" lines from Jaffe. This was a free ticket to downplay everything GoW3 related.

Really nice pictures but like someone said, something is missing. But they will polish this *itch up. Remember how polished GoW2 was.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
jett said:
This.

I think the problem is that everything looks too clean, there's not enough detail in the scenery. If I could use one word to describe these pictures it'd be "flat".

OK, but what does this mean ?, your put off the game now then ?, the game is going to sell poorly due to non amazing shiny GFX!111!1OnE, tell me ?

Tieno

They're not showing the right screenshots yet. God of War isn't about close-ups of Kratos...but Kratos fighting in front of epic backdrops, against lots of badass enemies.

thaOwner

_leech_ said:
Some people are trying way too hard.
Its sad really but whatever. Game looks great and still in it's early stages of development. Am sure by the time it's ready for release,
it would have come and long way and improved heaps on the graphics.

Donos said:
ahhh now i see the whole titan in that picture (his shoulders etc.), oh shit if hes moving and fighting in the back while you are rocking in the front .... we need moving pictures ASAP

There's fingers and thumb top right I think.

elohel

looks really nice

is this really the warhawk engine? i read somewhere that it uses the warhawk engine

im probably mistaken/completely and totally off

braimuge

Banned
EschatonDX said:
This reminds me of early Killzone 2 threads. Proof that if you want to have a game that makes people drop jaws or place a graphical stamp of approval, you need to normal map the shit out of everything and throw framerate out the window. Can't wait till we see the game prerelease in 2010 and people eat crow. By the time this game is finished, it will look incredible. It probably looks better in motion too. Why do you think the journos are gushing about the latest showing?

It does bear striking similiarity..

DrPirate

Banned
Tieno said:
They're not showing the right screenshots yet. God of War isn't about close-ups of Kratos...but Kratos fighting in front of epic backdrops, against lots of badass enemies.

This. Definitely. There will be dropped jaws. I know it.

EschatonDX said:
This reminds me of early Killzone 2 threads. Proof that if you want to have a game that makes people drop jaws or place a graphical stamp of approval, you need to normal map the shit out of everything and throw framerate out the window.

Bingo

BeeDog

Tieno said:

Eeeeexactly, 1up for you.

Anyway, can we expect videos today, or only written coverage with screenshots?

Zophar

elohel said:
looks really nice

is this really the warhawk engine? i read somewhere that it uses the warhawk engine

It probably uses some tech from it, being Sony Santa Monica and all.

Blutonium

Tieno said:

And still, that close up of Kratos looks great. Can't wait to see more of GoWIII, I looooved the first two.

belvedere

Junior Butler
bryehn said:
Honestly, considering the pedigree of the series I was expecting the best looking game yet on PS3. These screens do not deliver that.

Seeing that the journalists covering this event are all saying the game looks much, much better in motion and instead of relying on speculation to fuel our opinions, maybe we could just compare these screens to something else, like from this generation in the same genre.

NG:Sigma
NG:2
Heavenly Sword
DMC4

Without a doubt, GoW III looks at least as good as those titles.

The best new combat feature, though, is the ability to disembowel. It’s not known how often or to which enemies you’ll be able to use this new feature. In one of the sequences shown, Kratos is fighting a large centaur that he finally pins to the ground. He takes out a blade and rips open his stomach, revealing his entrails.

That's all you really need.

There's some crazy amount of detail (especially on Kratos :eek: ) but I fear that we won't be able to look at it in motion with the camera being pretty far :(

Majmun

I don't know what people expected. I looks better than any next-gen action title so far IMO.

RubxQub said:

what :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PS3 gamers are spoiled.

These shots may not be unprecedented in their visual quality - and maybe that is expected from a GoW game - but it looks very good, and I'm sure Santa Monica will blow some socks off when the final game is running on peoples' TVs.

gantz85

Banned
soldat7 said:
Rewind to the early Halo 3 threads...Funny how similar arguments are being used by both sides here.

Eh? Just rewind to Killzone 2.

Lots of slamming about the fantastic screenshots and videos even.

And in the later stages, people were as recently as one month ago complaining about how the destructible environments were being shot off too easily by revolvers and at too large chunks apiece :lol I'm not saying they're not logically true, but the way they go about diminishing technical achievements is amazing.

God of War 3 is going to be the NEXT BIG THING for the haters on the other side after Killzone 2 is out.

thaOwner

elohel said:
looks really nice

It's the same PS2 engine ported over to the PS3 with a lot of advances. But, yeah it's possible that it's using some tech from the Warhawk engine a well.

Tieno said:

I think the fact that they can show Kratos upclose and he looks very impressive gives me hope that the pulled back shots look even better.

Cruzader

Banned
EschatonDX said:

Well some folks around here are avoiding eating their crow after KZ2 delivered and started to nit-pick shit ala "lag..ew I want noob controls". They find anything to avoid eating their tasty crow.

methane47

I'm not impressed at all... I mean.. I can visually see that the graphics are better.... but ya... they dont blow my mind..

I think that is more a testament to how great the originals looked.

teepo

what an entirely flat looking game. there is no life to be found within these images, everything looks so barren and detached from the environment.

WEAK

jrricky

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
Link_Posing.gif

Not surprised at all...again.
So damn predictable that someone will refute this way when their hurt...again.:lol
Crisco said:
You guys really need to measure your expectations and remember that this game is going to run in 1080p at 60 fps. This means it's not going to be the texturezilla that Uncharted 2 is or go insane with post processing effects like Killzone 2. It's just not possible from a technical standpoint, when those games run at 720p and 30fps. It's going to look incredibly crisp, clean, and have the most impressive art and design you'll ever seen in a game. These screenshots convey exactly that.
Uncharted had that covered and Uncharted 2 will still have that covered. Now thats one game with impressive art direction.

Top Bottom