• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GTA V previews

Socreges

Banned
GTA games always have cheats.
I remember watching my old roommate playing GTAIV, but constantly using cheats. Would give himself max ammo, max health whenever he was hit, etc. Got to the point where he'd enter the cheats unconsciously since he'd done it so many times.

Was kind of pathetic to watch. What's the point of playing if you make yourself invincible?

INTERNET

SERIOUS BUSINESS
I remember watching my old roommate playing GTAIV, but constantly using cheats. Would give himself max ammo, max health whenever he was hit, etc. Got to the point where he'd enter the cheats unconsciously since he'd done it so many times.

Was kind of pathetic to watch. What's the point of playing if you make yourself invincible?
Well, to be fair many people reached the "what's the point of playing" mindset with no cheats at all in IV.

Tr4nce

So it seems like Rockstar has finally unveiled a part of the GTAV map. Nice. And some new screenshots.

iy4Vdv3C15htS.png

Source: http://www.rockstargames.com/V/img/global/special-full.jpg

OOps, sorry. Was already a thread about it. :)

Raptomex

mapdet.png

Assuming this is just Los Santos. The parts that meet together don't add up. There's got to be more.

Thanks to those over at GTAForums.

"Pathetic"? He was enjoying himself. I think that's the point of gaming. I maxed out all the shit on SR3 on PC and just destroyed that city, was more fun than I had in SR1 or SR2.

waypoetic

Banned
I don't think that that is how it's done actually. They probably just made a scroll in Photoshop and then put the jpeg of the map on it like that.

Raptomex

Rockstar needs to unveil Vs website. I want to see the full map. Hopefully this is a sign. Usually when we get a glimpse of something Rockstar releases it officially within weeks.

MAX PAYMENT

Replaying 3D GTAs.

GTA3 is still an amazing game. Incredibly hard. I raged multiple times even with cheats. Cars are made of paper and the cops are ruthless. Fun and interesting characters, compact and memorable city, simple revenge story.

GTA Vice City. Wow. Best in the series. The game is full of major actors that all do a great job. Best and most interesting characters in the city. Best protagonist. My only complaint is that the city itself, structurally, is uninteresting.

GTA San Andreas. Coming right off of Vice City, this game is a huge disappointment. Worst characters in the series so far. Disjointed story that makes no sense. And the quality of the city ranges from incredible to half-assed. The beginning island is dense and feels rather alive. San Fierro looks like random building copied and pasted across a giant hill. And the plains areas are like 2 polygons per 100 yards with tons of useless, wasted space. The desert area is awesome. Compared to the previous GTAs, San Andreas feels like a jack of all trades, master of none. I could only push myself to play to the desert portion before dropping the game completely.

GTA4. This is my fire time playing GTA4 since around launch. Driving became a chore in San Andreas due to the lack of checkpoints and size of the city with no fast travel. GTA4 makes driving fun again. Driving is thrilling because it actually feels risky driving at crazy speeds. Car accidents went from weird high speed fender benders to full on gruesome car accidents with realistic damage. Running over pedestrians is morbid in comparison to the goofy effects of flattening people in previous GTAs. Though I just started, I find driving can be annoying when you try to turn at high speeds, the car just turns sideways and slides until I hit something. I cannot figure ou how to properly slide around a corner.

Once I finish 4 and episodes of liberty city I'll move on to red dead and max Payne. Sort of like a case study of rock stars progressing technology.

Raptomex

GTA3 is still an amazing game. Incredibly hard. I raged multiple times even with cheats. Cars are made of paper and the cops are ruthless. Fun and interesting characters, compact and memorable city, simple revenge story.
Hopefully you remember where all the stands are in the mission "Espresso-to-Go", lol.
GTA San Andreas. Coming right off of Vice City, this game is a huge disappointment. Worst characters in the series so far. Disjointed story that makes no sense. And the quality of the city ranges from incredible to half-assed. The beginning island is dense and feels rather alive. San Fierro looks like random building copied and pasted across a giant hill. And the plains areas are like 2 polygons per 100 yards with tons of useless, wasted space. The desert area is awesome. Compared to the previous GTAs, San Andreas feels like a jack of all trades, master of none. I could only push myself to play to the desert portion before dropping the game completely.
I disagree completely. While I'm not a fan of the whole "gangsta" theme I still really loved this game and the story. My favorite in the series. But to each is own I suppose.

Pandemic

I'd say this is a rumor for now....

New GTAV details leaked by Russian magazines
In May 23 Rockstar Games and 1C-SoftClub (The official publisher of GTAV in Russia), held a closed presentation of the Russian version of Grand Theft Auto 5 in Moscow.

The reporters saw the same demo version of the game that presented in early May, In this 30 minutes of the demo a lots of details leaked some of them issued before and some of them new. Here s the new details:

- Sometimes damages (like wounds, Injured by bullet…) will leave marks on the body of the characters forever.
- In the beginning of the demo we seen Franklin jumping out of a plane with a parachute, - -- While Franklin in the air, you notice a lot of interesting things:
- A military base hidden in the hills.
- Wild animals prey on each other.
- Motocross track and a hunting ground. Also you see tourists walking in the mountains, near the river and a few people go fishing, and more.

- Some of the problems that associated with the low capacity of some platforms still exist, like the number of cars on the street…
- For the first time in the series there was background music.
- The underwater world around Los Santos looks great, it’s probably the most beautiful image of the sea in the games. Colored fish swim among the rocks and Shark swims near you.

Source

Fjordson

Replaying 3D GTAs.

GTA Vice City. Wow. Best in the series. The game is full of major actors that all do a great job. Best and most interesting characters in the city. Best protagonist. My only complaint is that the city itself, structurally, is uninteresting.

GTA4. This is my fire time playing GTA4 since around launch. Driving became a chore in San Andreas due to the lack of checkpoints and size of the city with no fast travel. GTA4 makes driving fun again. Driving is thrilling because it actually feels risky driving at crazy speeds. Car accidents went from weird high speed fender benders to full on gruesome car accidents with realistic damage. Running over pedestrians is morbid in comparison to the goofy effects of flattening people in previous GTAs. Though I just started, I find driving can be annoying when you try to turn at high speeds, the car just turns sideways and slides until I hit something. I cannot figure ou how to properly slide around a corner.

Once I finish 4 and episodes of liberty city I'll move on to red dead and max Payne. Sort of like a case study of rock stars progressing technology.
Seems like I mostly agree with your standing on the games.

Though I think I enjoyed San Andreas more (personal classic for me), it's probably my least favourite of the 3D games. Vice City > IV = III >> San Andreas for me.

You'll probably love Red Dead. Some of Rockstar's best work and a true masterpiece in my mind. Max Payne has some issues and isn't as great as Red Dead, but they're very different games for obvious reasons and was still a fun ride. And it has fantastic combat. Best Rockstar game in that regard.

Source
That all seems pretty spot on. Especially the top five items. Seen all of that mentioned in other previews.

Persona86

Banned
Replaying 3D GTAs.

Yeah Vice City is my favorite so far, I'm excited for GTAV because it looks the closest to Vice City yet, AND it looks like it will be better. Good times ahead.

maybe at e3? they will be released later at launch but the pc version could be released the 17th september

They delayed the game 6 months, I hope the next gen version caught up with the current gen

I still expect the next-gen versions to come out next year with the inevitable PC release. So I wouldn't expect them to say a word about any additional versions until next year once the current-gen versions have made a big sales impact. Then they'll announce the other versions and get people to double dip.

Pandemic

That's what I mean, I want to pre-order this for the PS3, but if they announce a PC version, then I'll want to put my money towards that. Have they said anything whatsoever about the PC version? Such as it's not in the making, etc?

Fjordson

I want to pre-order this for the PS3, but if they announce a PC version, then I'll want to put my money towards that.
Exactly why I really don't think it will happen this year. They want all their big retail numbers initially on consoles, and then I can see them dropping the PC version seven months after (like GTA IV on PC). Would put it right in the middle of Spring which is a time they've loved putting out games in these last few years.

I mentioned this in another topic, but Max Payne 3's PC version was announced with the initial launch trailer. And even that came out a few weeks after the console versions. With V, they have yet to even acknowledge a PC version will exist at some point in the future and we're less than four months out from the console release.

Pandemic

Exactly why I really don't think it will happen this year. They want all their big retail numbers initially on consoles, and then I can see them dropping the PC version seven months after (like GTA IV on PC). Would put it right in the middle of Spring which is a time they've loved putting out games in these last few years.

I mentioned this in another topic, but Max Payne 3's PC version was announced with the initial launch trailer. And even that came out a few weeks after the console versions. With V, they have yet to even acknowledge a PC version will exist at some point in the future and we're less than four months out from the console release.

Mmmm, very dissapointing. Guess I'll go for the PS3 version then. I sort of wanted to sell my PS3, but I guess I'll keep it in order to play it.

Fjordson

I mean anything could happen. I'm just speculating really. But all things considered, I'll be surprised if this is out on anything other than PS3 and 360 before Spring of next year.

Aguirre

Replaying 3D GTAs.

im currently replaying gta4 too. i find it especially morbid when you crash into someone and they die. they slump forward and set of the car horn.

its also pretty awesome with some cars that you fly out of the windscreen in a crash. i have to say though, im replaying this on pc with a trainer installed. setting the time of day and weather is a godsend, i keep it set at 12pm and very sunny.

also installed the mp3 mod where you can listen to music when not in a car.

Source

The wound thing is doubtful. It's more likely that in a specific mission, somebody is injured or hurt in a very scripted scene and then from then on out, carries a scar. I doubt that an organic bullet wound from a random encounter in the game would leave anything on the characters.

Also the details about the game having background music... I'd imagine that would be that the new iFruit smartphone has a built in radio or MP3 player. I doubt that GTA would abandon the radio system in favor of sound-of-god background music. Or, it's like a Sopranos (and GTA for that matter) system where cut scenes may have background music, but they're usually coming from something like a radio, boom box, car stereo, etc.

UrbanRats

Yeah the permanent wound thing would be fucking stupid on multiple levels.

1) waste of memory.
2) if i fuck around and get smashed by the cops, i don't want the mainline story to become absurd because of it, with Michael looking like Frankenstein's monster.

The wound thing is doubtful. It's more likely that in a specific mission, somebody is injured or hurt in a very scripted scene and then from then on out, carries a scar. I doubt that an organic bullet wound from a random encounter in the game would leave anything on the characters.

Also the details about the game having background music... I'd imagine that would be that the new iFruit smartphone has a built in radio or MP3 player. I doubt that GTA would abandon the radio system in favor of sound-of-god background music. Or, it's like a Sopranos (and GTA for that matter) system where cut scenes may have background music, but they're usually coming from something like a radio, boom box, car stereo, etc.

The background music has already been confirmed. It's more of an dynamic soundtrack to your actions though, not god spouting rap music from the clouds if that's what you're thinking.

sqwarlock

Yeah the permanent wound thing would be fucking stupid on multiple levels.

1) waste of memory.
2) if i fuck around and get smashed by the cops, i don't want the mainline story to become absurd because of it, with Michael looking like Frankenstein's monster.

I'm guessing it'll be like the Arkham games where, as the story progresses, you get more and more beat up/bloodied/etc.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Pretty much 100% certain there will be next-gen version(s), the thing is Sony and MS are probably both fighting over day-one release or some other stuff.

It's just impossible that Rockstar wouldn't have the manpower to make the port. It's basically just porting a DX11 PC version.

Top Bottom