• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizons will flyby Pluto on July 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Nmg13pO.png

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
I will make one over the weekend. Put it up on Sunday night or Monday.

Just a suggestion, but I'd include an FAQ in the OP that covers the most asked questions from this thread. Things like

Will New Horizons orbit Pluto or just fly by? What will it do next?

How close will it come to the surface?

Why is Pluto red/orange? I thought it was blue!

Why can Hubble see galaxies so clearly but Pluto is a fuzzy blob?

EDIT:

Probably overused to death but how about "Pluto Flyby OT | That's No Planet (alternatively: That's No Dwarf Planet")

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Just a suggestion, but I'd include an FAQ in the OP that covers the most asked questions from this thread. Things like

Will New Horizons orbit Pluto or just fly by? What will it do next?

How close will it come to the surface?

Why is Pluto red/orange? I thought it was blue!

EDIT:

Probably overused to death but how about "Pluto Flyby OT | That's No Planet (alternatively: That's No Dwarf Planet")

Ohh yeah, I will include a FAQ. Hopefully people read it lol.

Pluto Flyby |OT| Your mom thought I was big enough NASA

Probably doesn't fit.

fallout

I think for the OT, it would be worthwhile to also point out a few things. For example:

This was the best image we had of Pluto until a few days ago:

Pluto_animiert_200px.gif

This is how big Pluto and Charon are compared to the United States:

United_States_with_Pluto_%26_Charon.jpg

This is the oddly inclined orbit that Pluto takes relative to all the other planets:

Plutoorbit1.5sideview.gif

Also, this article is required reading for what to expect from the flyby and when to expect it:

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2015/06240556-what-to-expect-new-horizons-pluto.html

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
It may be too long but

Pluto Flyby |OT| We choose to go to Pluto not because it is easy, but because it is hard.

Could possibly be shortened in the first part like "We go to Pluto" or "We go there"

fallout

I'd really like to live in a world where we could stop concerning ourselves so much with what classification we've given Pluto. We explore planets, dwarf planets, the Sun, moons, asteroids and comets. The filing cabinet we stick something in doesn't make it any more or less scientifically interesting.

I get that people feel strongly about it, but I find that the constant focus it gets really detracts from the worthwhile discussion.

I'd really like to live in a world where we could stop concerning ourselves so much with what classification we've given Pluto. We explore planets, dwarf planets, the Sun, moons, asteroids and comets. The filing cabinet we stick something in doesn't make it any more or less scientifically interesting.

I get that people feel strongly about it, but I find that the constant focus it gets really detracts from the worthwhile discussion.

+1.

I like to think Pluto is King of Dwarf Planets, not The Smallest Planet.

It's exciting that it was reclassified because we *learned new stuff* and *found new things.* That's a good thing.

+1.

I like to think Pluto is King of Dwarf Planets, not The Smallest Planet.

It's exciting that it was reclassified because we *learned new stuff* and *found new things.* That's a good thing.

That would be Eris. Actually there is a debate on which is bigger based on Pluto's atmosphere, and this will be likely answered by New Horizons.

Eris is still denser than Pluto though.

G-Bus

Banned
I'm not sure you grasp just how vast space is, it's pretty incomprehensible how vast it is. It's like having two gnats in the middle of like 100 Atlantic oceans.

Haha okay fare enough. Definitely puts things in a better perspective.

Thanks for the replies.

Damn this is exciting. Really hope they receive more funding after the fly by.

That would be Eris. Actually there is a debate on which is bigger based on Pluto's atmosphere, and this will be likely answered by New Horizons.

Eris is still denser than Pluto though.

Believe it or not, I considered this before posting. Just because Eris is (or may be) bigger doesn't mean that Pluto isn't the King. Size isn't everything.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Pluto Flyby [OT] New Horizons boldly going where no one has gone before

Pluto Flyby [OT] Great pics of the largest dwarf planet in our solar system

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I will make one over the weekend. Put it up on Sunday night or Monday.

Edit - Hit me with witty titles.

Pluto Flyby |OT| Come for the dplanet, stay for the BBQ on Charon

Pluto Flyby |OT| Woof

Pluto Flyby |OT| Mandog is a more evolved form of dog

Pluto Flyby |OT| Snow White and the dwarf planet

Pluto Flyby |OT| Put it in Uranus

Christian

I feel like this is an appropriate place to ask, although it's slightly off-topic. Anyone have suggestions for astronomy books? Either for general celestial bodies, or about the bodies in our solar system? This really has me in the mood to read some new books about the topic.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I feel like this is an appropriate place to ask, although it's slightly off-topic. Anyone have suggestions for astronomy books? Either for general celestial bodies, or about the bodies in our solar system? This really has me in the mood to read some new books about the topic.

I would actually be interested in this as well.

If anyone wants a good documentary, When We Left Earth, is excellent. I believe it is up on Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom