• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New laptop suggestions - No OS discrimination here

Status
Not open for further replies.

velociraptor

it's all dependent on budget because there definitely is. But are you willing to pay that much?

What price are we talking about? My budget is roughly £1,000

I've been searching around and found this:
http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

Dell XPS 15. Seems to be pretty good. Worth a shot or anything better?

I actually like the price of the Inspiron 15 (http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC) but the laptop looks bulky as feck. The battery life is superior to the XPS 15.

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-15-9550...p/pd?ref=PD_OC

I actually like the price of the Inspiron 15 (http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15...p/pd?ref=PD_OC) but the laptop looks bulky as feck. The battery life is superior to the XPS 15.
xps 15 is obviously great. The bigger brother of the XPS 13 that everyone is recommending here. Also check out the Asus Zenbook Pro for beast specs at a similar price point. I think. Not sure how things are priced in the UK TBH.

BioFan

I have the SP3 and just recently got the 2015 MacBook...they are on sale, you can get one at Amazon for $1000.
I am an artist so I know both OSes pretty well, but I never owned any Macbook previously.
But I looooooove my Macbook, it's so lightweight, no fan and it's so much more powerful than I fear it to be. I don't need to render videos etc, and even doing photoshop and 3D software, its so snappy. I am loving it more than my SP3, though I miss the touch screen. Good thing though, I don't play games on my laptop/PC so I'm enjoying my Macbook so much.
So if you want something light, fanless, get the Macbook. It will be able to do what you need to do and more. It's quite expensive but its sexy as hell. And I would take the $300 off rather than to get the latest model.
I know that you are not looking for anything smaller than 13". But the Macbook is pretty close lol.

I have a Lenovo Carbon X1 and a Macbook Pro for work. At home I have a Dell Inspiron 15", a Surface Pro 4 and a Toshiba Chromebook 2. My wife also has a Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 that I borrow occasionally.

For your use, I'd get a Dell. The XPS line is nicer but the Inspirons are great too. While the track pads are not quite as good as a Macbook, they're pretty close. Build quality is excellent and they're pretty reliable. The Lenovos are great too and have the best keyboards, but the trackpads are crappy (although mine has the nub so that helps).

Macbooks are solid, with the biggest advantage being the trackpad. Beyond that I find OSX and Windows are roughly the same in overall features, you just have to get used to how each OS does it's thing. I prefer Windows though as you get more granular control over features and settings. MS Office is also much better on Windows so if you need to use Excel or Word a lot you should go with a WIndows machine.

I love my Chromebook but Chrome OS is probably too limited for what you want to do.

While the track pads are not quite as good as a Macbook, they're pretty close.

Macbooks are solid, with the biggest advantage being the trackpad.

In my experience, it's not really the laptop or the trackpad it's the OS/drivers. Using the MBA trackpad in Windows is frustrating as fuck.

Vyer

I'd go Dell XPS. Sounds like sticking with Windows would be most convenient to you because of your primary usage for the system. Cost isn't really a concern, so while Chromebooks are solid might as well get a full blown OS.

The dell will be rather premium, you can get great performance/specs since you can pay a little more, sleek hardware and an awesome screen.

Cast my vote for XPS13, OP. It's really a lovely little windows machine.

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-15-9550-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

I actually like the price of the Inspiron 15 (http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC) but the laptop looks bulky as feck. The battery life is superior to the XPS 15.

The XPS15 is to my knowledge the best balance of performance (960m can do a fair few modern games) and usability as a laptop (e.g. light weight and good battery life) in the windows arena.

velociraptor

xps 15 is obviously great. The bigger brother of the XPS 13 that everyone is recommending here. Also check out the Asus Zenbook Pro for beast specs at a similar price point. I think. Not sure how things are priced in the UK TBH.

The Asus looks beautiful. Shame the price is slightly high in the UK (£1400 on Amazon), otherwise, I think this would now be my first choice.

Anion

Dell XPS 13 or 2016 Razer Blade 14

If you are cross shopping from $250-$3000, you should spend the extra money for speed and quality as you have mentioned. I can recommend the latest Razer blade only as it has gone though several revisions and it gold now.

OP check the subnotecook categor at NBC; http://www.notebookcheck.net/Notebookcheck-s-Top-10-Subnotebooks.98632.0.html

You could also check out the Lenovo Yoga Thinkpad; It has optional LTE , so if your carrier allows it, you could get a extra sim card to share data plan with your phones data plan, and be online when you are away from a wifi hotspot. You'd be able to be online when your bringing it with you in the park. Not many laptops have wireless internet these days, even among business laptops. A good review; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL2-kK81k3o&list=PLFA3F5FE83F9D791B&index=26

Is there a laptop which ticks these boxes:
- fast
- decent battery life
- good design/form
- decent gpu (eg 960M)

I'm impressed with the Dell 7579. Look at this round up of sub <1000 USD laptops with 960m; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0mXMTjZy5M

I'm glad I had been moving away from the Acer Chromebook 14, as Best Buy went from preorder to you can't get it. What a bunch of a-holes.

I managed to find myself at BB last night and I fondled the XPS 15. It felt really great, and now I'm even more curious about the 13. I have seen issues reported about the QHD scaling, even though that screen is really nice. I'm torn between FHD and QHD, a lot because of the matte screen that the FHD comes with. Mine now has matte, and I can't decide if I like it or not. Easier to see outside, but the colors don't pop. Plus less battery life for the QHD, and usually about $400 more. Something really cool about the XPS (and probably the new MBPs) is charging over USBc. With my 6P, I can bring along just one cord.

Basically, I think I'm down to an XPS or a MacBook Pro. Not sure what size I'm going to get, I think I would have to get the 13" and see if it fit my needs. While I will be seeing what the new MBPs have to offer, if they get the keyboard of the Macbook, it's a non-starter. I'm leaning XPS, because being in a hospital role, it would make sense to go with the operating system that would be compatible no matter what, and spend less money.

We'll see, though. I've changed my mind a few times over the last month or so, there's always the chance it will happen again.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Life is too short to not spend money on Macbook Air
MacBook Air is outdated and currently EOL.

However I wouldn't recommend the more expensive MacBook at this stage.

So my vote goes to a 13" MBP if you're going Mac. However they won't be updated again until possibly October now with supposedly a brand new design. But the current Pro is perfect anyway.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I bought this Acer Aspire E 15 last week from Amazon and I absolutely love it.

$550
-6th Generation Intel Core i5-6200U Processor (Up to 2.8GHz)
-15.6-inch Full HD Display, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
-8GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB SSD
-Windows 10 Home; Backlit Keyboard
-Up to 12-hours Battery Life; 6-cell Li-Ion (2800 mAh) Battery

I mainly bought it for school, but it's definitely a capable gaming machine as well. Perhaps too capable, because I keep getting distracted from my studies >.>
Oh man, thanks for this link. My girlfriend desperately needs to get a new laptop as she goes into her final two years of her Elec. Engineering degree. I think I might get this for her - it looks absolutely awesome for this price. Loaded.

Frostburn

As far as all around great laptops go you can't go wrong with the Dell XPS 13 decked out or a 13" MacBook Pro decked out. Both are excellent laptops though the MBP wins out on build quality. Just need to decide if you would want to use OSX or just use the MBP with Remote Desktop. I work in a Windows based environment but still use a MBP as my laptop and work from home system with a full HP desktop in the office. We use HP though so the XPS isn't an option for me :(

grumble

Dell XPS 13 or 2016 Razer Blade 14

If you are cross shopping from $250-$3000, you should spend the extra money for speed and quality as you have mentioned. I can recommend the latest Razer blade only as it has gone though several revisions and it gold now.

I'd argue that it's challenged by heat management, as all thin and light laptops with powerful graphics cards are. That might change this fall with the new process, which could be a game changer for that subcategory.

By reading the op, it's clear that he's doing the same kind of thing I see all the time on this forum: namely judging a lower end windows laptop against a premium priced Mac, then saying that the Mac is nicer. If the user judges macs against competing windows machines at the SAME price point there are options with excellent build quality and internals that can challenge (and in my opinion beat) the Mac equivalent. The dell xps and hp spectre series are awesome for example, and could also look at the surface pro.

Like, not shit.

problem is all decent non chromebook laptops in that range are going to have some crippling flaw or just be shitty in general. Up that to 600 or so and you'd be wayyyy better off. I tried finding one but they're all varying degree of shit. More of a pick your poison kind of thing.

See that Acer Aspire E posted above for 549. Light years better than anything available at 400.

SMattera

I'd argue that it's challenged by heat management, as all thin and light laptops with powerful graphics cards are. That might change this fall with the new process, which could be a game changer for that subcategory.

By reading the op, it's clear that he's doing the same kind of thing I see all the time on this forum: namely judging a lower end windows laptop against a premium priced Mac, then saying that the Mac is nicer. If the user judges macs against competing windows machines at the SAME price point there are options with excellent build quality and internals that can challenge (and in my opinion beat) the Mac equivalent. The dell xps and hp spectre series are awesome for example, and could also look at the surface pro.

Specs wise, the XPS line is better than a similarly-priced MacBook Pro, but I still think the Mac has better build quality, keyboard, trackpad, etc.

I played with an XPS 13 and 15 in Best Buy the other day. The displays are top-notch, but I don't understand the love. They feel cheap and plasticky to me and the trackpad still sort of sucks like all the other Dells I've used before.

The only Windows machine that matches Macs build quality is the Surface Book. That thing is amazing. But the hinge is meh.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
problem is all decent non chromebook laptops in that range are going to have some crippling flaw or just be shitty in general. Up that to 600 or so and you'd be wayyyy better off. I tried finding one but they're all varying degree of shit. More of a pick your poison kind of thing.

See that Acer Aspire E posted above for 549. Light years better than anything available at 400.

Hmm...I might save for a little bit longer then. I'm not a fan of shitty things.

I bought this Acer Aspire E 15 last week from Amazon and I absolutely love it.

$550
-6th Generation Intel Core i5-6200U Processor (Up to 2.8GHz)
-15.6-inch Full HD Display, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
-8GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB SSD
-Windows 10 Home; Backlit Keyboard
-Up to 12-hours Battery Life; 6-cell Li-Ion (2800 mAh) Battery

I mainly bought it for school, but it's definitely a capable gaming machine as well. Perhaps too capable, because I keep getting distracted from my studies >.>

What kind of games can it play?

Kai

If money isn't that tight I would get the Surface Book over Dell XPS. Both are great, Surface Book is just better in battery life, performance & utility (foldable/detachable screen).

I have the i7, 16gb Ram, 512g Surface Book with dGPU and my wife has the Dell XPS 13 4K (same specs - without dGPU). The SB outperformes it on everything and better track pad.

What would be the best laptop for the following use

- browsing, email, office, video/netflix

No games or other demanding stuff.
But good screen and battery life.

Chromebook maybe?

eddie4

Genuinely Generous

Chromebook maybe?

Wife has this for exactly what you mentioned, it does the job. Battery life is good.

SMattera

Chromebook maybe?

If you can get by with Google Apps, or the online version of Office, then yes, Chromebook.

What's the screen footprint of the latest XPS 15? I know the XPS 13 is around 11 inches due to the infinity display, ago presumably around 13 inches?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
What's the screen footprint of the latest XPS 15? I know the XPS 13 is around 11 inches due to the infinity display, ago presumably around 13 inches?

Ya its 15" screen in 13" laptop size. Its pretty awesome. Stands out everywhere you go and open.

SMattera

Going to follow this, my current one is on its knees. Seems you can only get Chromebooks and £800+ mega monsters.

Mid-level laptops just don't make much sense anymore.

Almost all light computing tasks can now be handled in the browser, where ChromeOS excels. There's plenty of mid-tier and high-end computing that still requires a powerful machine (gaming, video editing, etc) but most mid-level laptops aren't going to give you enough horsepower for that.

Unless you have specific needs like, "the only game I play is League of Legends" or "I don't do much computing, but I need full Excel for certain functions/iTunes." Then sure. You're also going to find a lot of hefty bricks with bad battery life and traditional hard drives. After you try a slim machine with an SSD, it's hard to go back. Paying a few hundred dollars extra is worth it.

spuckthew

i got a macbook pro 13 there maybe 8 months ago. had disliked os x for no reason for years just because apple, but i absolutely love my MBP, best laptop I've ever had or used and transitioning to os x was fine.

Yeah same. I'm a Windows guy through and through because video games and my job, but I don't think there's a better OS for 'general usage' than OS X. I use a MacBook Pro (fat model) daily for web browsing, YouTube, remote access, other light workloads...and it's honestly perfect for that. You could even put a Windows VM on there if you needed to something only Windows can do (hardware resources permitting).

Any MacBook really is probably overkill for just light workloads (in terms of price mostly), but the OS is fantastic and the aesthetic is sublime.

I've always liked Ubuntu, too, but it's impossible to justify buying a pretty and well-built laptop only to throw a free OS on it (I'm not just talking about MacBooks here either).

This isn't really a recommendation, just some general thoughts.

kaitoe

I'm rocking a 2012 MacBook Air as my daily and it is mostly great. Battery doesn't last as long but everything else is fine. I got the base model at the time but I should've splurged on 8gb of ram... Could be a tad faster.

Anyway, it lasted me through university (engineering) and I couldn't have been happier with the computer, especially as an upgrade from an Acer I had bought in 2010. Got used to the OS rather quickly and the touchpad is fantastic. Spaces and mission control are two things I miss when I use my windows desktop at work.

I probably use windows more often than OS X because of work, but ever since I got my MacBook I've never wanted to go back. Win10 is nice though. I built myself a mini desktop a year after buying the laptop for heavy lifting (3D Modeling) but I only use it now when I need to remote into work via VPN & RDP (haven't got my laptop to work properly with this yet).

I was a Windows user from the first time I touched a computer until 2012 when I got the MacBook and I haven't wanted to go back to Windows since then. I'd highly recommend trying out one of the variants at an Apple Store if you can.

There are very few products that can match up with the MacBooks, no matter what the price. Fit, finish, reliability, battery life. When I'm comparing products of similar price points, a lot of the time it makes sense just to get the MacBook and call it a day. Even the XPS, which I adore, does suffer from a few reported issues. I don't think I'm the only person who looks at a certain ceiling for Windows products and say, 'Anything over that, I'll go with Apple.' And look, as I said, I haven't used an Apple computer in thirty years. I haven't used an iPhone regularly in three years. I moved on from my iPad about a year ago. I have used Windows computers since 3.1 was a going concern, use Android smartphones and tablets, and dabble in some Linux distros. No bias here. I just look and feel the line of MacBooks, and can understand where the price premium comes from.

Getting another Windows laptop makes the most sense for me, but at a certain price point, I feel I would get more out of getting a MacBook. I get to use OSX, for one. I get a product that it seems like they really fleshed out the user experience (stuff like the balanced weight, etc). There's also a ton of accessories for it - I could get an easy dock if I decided I also wanted to use it with a third monitor. Could I do it otherwise? Absolutely. Not denying that at all.

Comparing the XPS and the MBP, for the 1080p at around $800, I think it's good value. I like the battery notifications, I like the USBc, I like the carbon palm rest, and I think the trackpad is very good. Now when I look at the QHD display at the $1450 price point, that's when it becomes a hard choice. At that price the XPS has slightly better specs in CPU and display, but I get what is almost universally described as a better hardware experience, the ability to use OSX and BYOOS, better webcam. If I wanted to go with the 15" screen, the XPS leaps ahead again.

Like I said in the OP, I'm looking for a premium experience as much as anything else. I want a well-made machine that gives me a pleasurable encounter. I want to want to use something, not just use it because it's there. I've done the cheap laptop thing, and hate it. While I wouldn't consider my ProBook a premium experience, it was a step up from the entry to mid-tier stuff at the time. I don't need a powerhouse computing experience.

tl;dr - If I can get a near-Apple experience for less, it's a viable choice. If I can get a near-Apple experience for the same price, I might as well go for the real deal.

Now, the XPS isn't the only choice on the Windows side, but it does seem the most appealing. The Surface Book really isn't on my radar at all. At that size screen, I don't really care if it detaches. The SP4 is very nice, and I quite like the keyboard. Then again, though, you're looking at a grand straight off.

TheExodu5

Banned
MacBook Pro 2014 owner here.

The build of the MacBook is fantastic, as is the battery life. Performance is middling (though somewhat expected from an ultrabook form factor). OSX is terrible for multitasking and productivity...I feel so hamstrung compared to Windows 10. Using multiple desktops and swiping between full screen apps is basically a necessity for productivity on OSX. I've also found OSX and Safari to both be incredibly unstable. The old saying "it just works" is absolutely untrue when it comes to OSX. Windows 10 is far, far more stable than OSX. I've had frequent OSX crashes, hard locks when trying to log in (causing me to lose unsaved work), audio refusing to output over HDMI until I restart my MacBook, among other general instability issues. Plus, the MacBook takes well over a minute to boot up, while my Windows PC takes about 10 seconds. All in all, I'm really disappointed in the experience and I don't think I'll ever buy an Apple device with the intent of using OSX again.

LewieP

Apple make nice laptops, but most people I know who have one have encountered some kind of serious hardware issue (with either the laptop or the charger) within 3 years.

They are nice machines, but I'm not convinced they are built to last.

Obviously this is just anecdotal evidence.

georly

as someone who doesn't follow PC tech, any word on when the new pascal/polaris chips will be hitting laptops? And will there be reasonably priced versions (aka < 2k)?

Apple make nice laptops, but most people I know who have one have encountered some kind of serious hardware issue (with either the laptop or the charger) within 3 years.

They are nice machines, but I'm not convinced they are built to last.

Obviously this is just anecdotal evidence.

I remember the logic board issues.

I think what it will honestly be is a XPS. What size, and what screen resolution may be negotiable. 8GB of RAM most likely, and not too concerned with the SSD size because you can upgrade it later. I'll have to do some in-depth research into battery life differences between the sizes and screens. The XPS 15 I played with on Monday (QHD, I believe) and the XPS 13 (QHD) were both fantastic. It's a shame no one puts the 1080p display out to play with, but I guess it's understandable.

Funny this thread comes up... I'm actually thinking of getting a Chromebook to replace my 2012 MBA. I literally just have this thing hooked up to my monitor and power plug 24/7 to run Plex. Might as well just get a cheap desktop to do that and run with a Chromebook since it'll pretty much be able to do everything I need once they all run Android apps.

Mid-level laptops just don't make much sense anymore.

Almost all light computing tasks can now be handled in the browser, where ChromeOS excels. There's plenty of mid-tier and high-end computing that still requires a powerful machine (gaming, video editing, etc) but most mid-level laptops aren't going to give you enough horsepower for that.

Unless you have specific needs like, "the only game I play is League of Legends" or "I don't do much computing, but I need full Excel for certain functions/iTunes." Then sure. You're also going to find a lot of hefty bricks with bad battery life and traditional hard drives. After you try a slim machine with an SSD, it's hard to go back. Paying a few hundred dollars extra is worth it.

Hmm good point. I basically use mine for storing music, making DJ mixes via Traktor (which seems to be a horrendous resource sucker) and rigging up to my TV for shows and movies.

SMattera

Funny this thread comes up... I'm actually thinking of getting a Chromebook to replace my 2012 MBA. I literally just have this thing hooked up to my monitor and power plug 24/7 to run Plex. Might as well just get a cheap desktop to do that and run with a Chromebook since it'll pretty much be able to do everything I need once they all run Android apps.

You just get a cheap Plex-compatible device like the Roku stick, Fire Stick, etc.

I only seem to have two choices left: 13 or 15, and matte vs glossy.

The screen on my HP is matte, and I can use it outdoors without much problem. However, the colors SUCK. I really love how much the colors pop on the higher resolution, glossy displays. 1080P would probably be just fine, but I'd really like the display to pop. Not to mention the 1080P model still has a bordered display, the glass overlay on the other models is very nice. There is a significant price to pay in terms of price and battery life. I think I'd be looking at 4-600 cheaper for the 13 FHD model and about two hours or more battery life. Such a tough choice.

Size is important as well. That can only really be determined by getting the smaller one and seeing if I can work adequately.

There is one other thing I am confused on: drive specification. These are m.2 hardware spec, which supports PCIe speeds. The 128GB entry level drive doesn't mention anything about PCIe, whereas the bigger drives do. Is it just that Dell is using a cheaper drive with a cheaper controller on it? If (when) I upgrade down the road, if I buy a good drive that supports PCIe speeds, the mobo should support it, yes? ie, the difference is in the drive/chip/controller and not the motherboard.

Up to today I still hadn't made a decision. I was even broadening my searches back to a potential new MBP, a MBA, and a couple of HP Win 10 laptops and convertibles. The XPS 13 was still at the top of my list, but I still didn't know if this screen size would work for me.

I had to get my car repaired today, and took the opportunity to test drive an open box base model (9350-673SLV). I figured if the screen size didn't work out, or I didn't like the base amount of RAM, returning an open box isn't a big deal.

I have to say, it is fantastic. The matte screen had no problems being visible or bright at the repair center, even at 40%. The battery life is extremely impressive, I could get close to ten hours on this working, if I played my cards right. Tried a YT video when I got home, and it's very clear and bright. I guess it was more the 768P of the old laptop that let me down instead of the matte finish. 1080P also lets me get the whole screen for work I need, so no issues there. Not sure I would want to put in a full day of work on it, but I could, and that's the point. The trackpad is nice, keyboard good with good travel and the backlight seems good. Thankfully I don't use the webcam, or that might be a negative.

I think I will still end up returning this one and getting the 8GB RAM version, just to play future cases safe. I can also get that one a few bucks cheaper than this 4GB model, so that's also a contributing factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom