• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New look for PS5 console coming this holiday season

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

James Franco Flirt GIF

Spiderman 2 and COD back to back?

//DEVIL//

The last PS COD bundle

Sad Doctor Who GIF
I thought the exclusivity deal ends by the end of 2024. Doesn't that mean next year is the last one ?

Also I am thinking of selling mine and buying the slim one. But the lack of previews and hands on are concerning .

I want to know more about the noise of the system.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I thought the exclusivity deal ends by the end of 2024. Doesn't that mean next year is the last one ?

Also I am thinking of selling mine and buying the slim one. But the lack of previews and hands on are concerning .

I want to know more about the noise of the system.

Honestly I don't know the timing and how MS would respond to PS trying to sell bundles after that cut off date

Not going to lie I have a PS5 under my main TV that I am considering getting one of the new ones but I too want to know more about noise levels.

//DEVIL//

Honestly I don't know the timing and how MS would respond to PS trying to sell bundles after that cut off date

Not going to lie I have a PS5 under my main TV that I am considering getting one of the new ones but I too want to know more about noise levels.
We are on the same boat. Because the minute I know it's louder than the current 1200 series I am out. Fuck it. Hell I'll try to grab a second ps5 same model for cheap or something as back up ( or just wait for the pro ).

I am not in the mood and allergic to high pitch or annoying sound consoles / PC.

I have 12 lian li infiniti fans and STRIX 4090 and paid so much for these just to have a low noise level pc.
Can't stand a washing machine PC / console close to my desk . Especially when the ps5 is under my monitor and not far away under a TV

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Not with the online check-in bullshit they just introduced.
People need to learn how to read. The internet required is for setup process. And always required.

Either that or I need to learn how to read because I didn't read anything else that says it does require online all the time.

Looking forward to the tear down, intreasted in what they have changed with the storage to get 1Tb wonder if they have just switched to a fast ssd from the original config.
Some people will be surprised how much they downgraded this time. The last revision has a heatsink that is glued on. No more screws needed.🤣😂🤦‍♂️

The Launch units are still the best. Unless, of course, you exclude the coil whine.

If they really removed the liquid metal the garbage thermal paste will make your console go loud after one or two years.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Some people will be surprised how much they downgraded this time. The last revision has a heatsink that is glued on. No more screws needed.🤣😂🤦‍♂️

The Launch units are still the best. Unless, of course, you exclude the coil whine.

If they really removed the liquid metal the garbage thermal paste will make your console go loud after one or two years.
Couldn’t care less about the internals as long as it remains relatively quiet and isn’t a ginormous tower like the OG.

I’m only keeping it for 3 or 4 years, just has to last that long.

Dream-Knife

Banned

There's nothing wrong with thermal paste assuming the cooling system is adequate. The PS5 isn't running a 13900k and 4090.

The pricing is a disappointment. I was expecting lower. A $50 increase from the original digital to this digital edition. I thought it'd be the same $399. But I think we knew the digital edition was losing them money.

Sony’s costs to make are likely not lower enough to be able to lower the MSRP at this point. Due to higher shipping costs, parts costs, and generally higher inflation across the board. I don’t know that we’ll ever get back to the days of consoles being cheaper in the second half of the generation vs the first half. Sony was literally raising PS5 pricing all last year everywhere except the US.

Have to remember nowadays consoles like PS5 and Xbox Series are subsidized by the console manufacturers, and sold at a loss. They only make money when you buy multiple games and pay for subscriptions & accessories.

Last edited:

Tsaki

Sony’s costs to make are likely not lower enough to be able to lower the MSRP at this point. Due to higher shipping costs, parts costs, and generally higher inflation across the board. I don’t know that we’ll ever get back to the days of consoles being cheaper in the second half of the generation vs the first half. Sony was literally raising PS5 pricing all last year everywhere except the US.

Have to remember nowadays consoles like PS5 and Xbox Series are subsidized by the console manufacturers, and sold at a loss. They only make money when you buy multiple games and pay for subscriptions & accessories.
PS5 DE has been sold at a profit since June 2021. This new model will be even cheaper. I think Sony upped the price because they just can. They release it in the holiday period where they will sell consoles (almost) regardless of their price, so might as well make some extra profit for these 2-3 months. MS has introduced the new S model which is $50 more expensive, so that gave Sony some extra breathing room as well. I bet they will lower the MSRP to $399 in about 6 months.
The past months PS5 has been in constant bundles and price promotions all over Europe, so they are pretty flexible with the pricing.

PS5 DE has been sold at a profit since June 2021. This new model will be even cheaper. I think Sony upped the price because they just can. They release it in the holiday period where they will sell consoles (almost) regardless of their price, so might as well make some extra profit for these 2-3 months. MS has introduced the new S model which is $50 more expensive, so that gave Sony some extra breathing room as well. I bet they will lower the MSRP to $399 in about 6 months.
The past months PS5 has been in constant bundles and price promotions all over Europe, so they are pretty flexible with the pricing.
The issue is ever-increasing freight and shipping costs, and that internal components don't always gradually go down in price due to higher-yield production efficiencies like they used to. Not to mention with historic inflation, and purchasing power of a $1 is less relative to what it was worth in 2020 when the machine launched (at a loss). So my point is that the old days of a console launching at a high price, and then gradually becoming super duper cheap it's last few years on the market before it's successor launches are permanently over, I think.

The Series S, like the X, is still sold at a loss, although we won't know for some time if the new Series S with the 1TB SSD is break-even yet or not at the $50 higher price point.

Last edited:

Tsaki

The issue is ever-increasing freight and shipping costs, and that internal components don't always gradually go down in price due to higher-yield production efficiencies like they used to. Not to mention with historic inflation, and purchasing power of a $1 is less relative to what it was worth in 2020 when the machine launched (at a loss). So my point is that the old days of a console launching at a high price, and then gradually becoming super duper cheap it's last few years on the market before it's successor launches are permanently over, I think.

The Series S, like the X, is still sold at a loss, although we won't know for some time if the new Series S with the 1TB SSD is break-even yet or not at the $50 higher price point.
Yeah I don't expect PS5 to go below $399 for a good while. Maybe $399 with some bundle to lower the effective price, but that's it.

Audiophile

Gold Member
Decent size reduction and I like the changes to the design... the line on each side breaks up the negative space nicely; as does the concave portion at the top of the center panel. I know a lot of folks just want a black box, but I appreciate Sony's attempt to make something interesting and iconic, though the OG system had some very bare, unbalanced elements to the design; some of which have been addressed here. On closer inspection the plastic panels also appear a little thicker and have a nicer bevel to the edge.

Not sure how I feel about two USB-Cs. The only device I plug in the front other than the controller is a USB drive for transferring captures; and they all use USB-A.

Wondering how they're doing the main SSD @ 1TB. If they've added channels or increased chip capacities; or if they've removed the embedded NAND altogether and have switched to a standard M.2 drive that simply uses the abstraction layer & I/O stack just like user-added drives on the OG PS5. And, if this is the case, whether the default drive is replaced when upgrading or if there is a second bay.

The clear horizontal "stiletto" stand (not sure if it's fold out or detachable..?) looks completely out of place. Then the vertical stand being a 30 buck add-on is a piss take and the metal look while being fine in itself doesn't really fit. It'd be fine as a premium add-on, but a vertical stand should be included (or built-in to the design) as standard.

The price of the SKUs is also absurd.

The drive still looks tacked on rather than thought out as an integral part of the design. Though contrary to what a lot of people saying -- and making the best of a bad situation -- I actually prefer the more angular protrusion of the drive here. The old look occupied a half-arsed middle ground where it was clearly out of place but trying (and failing) to fit in with the curves. Good design ethos usually says follow the lines/rules or break them. Don't "try" to fit something in, either fit it in or don't. The physical button next to the drive looks a bit cheap.

Ideally they'd utilise a slimline drive bay in the centre strip of the console and then use a partly L-shape motherboard or some combination of a stilted/split-level mother+daughter board.

Finally, I would have had just one SKU and then the add-on drive with good availability, letting retailers bundle them (and I say that even as a strong physical media guy, as long as the option is there...). I'd also have just one SKU of the Pro and make the drive itself universal and interchangeable between the "Slim" & PRO. That way you'd have 2 eventual console SKUS and a single add-on rather than 3-4 eventual console SKUs and 1-2 add-ons. It'd simplify marketing material, manufacturing, packaging etc.

Last edited:

Brucey

Wondering how they're doing the main SSD @ 1TB. If they've added channels or increased chip capacities; or if they've removed the embedded NAND altogether and have switched to a standard M.2 drive that simply uses the abstraction layer & I/O stack just like user-added drives on the OG PS5. And, if this is the case, whether the default drive is replaced when upgrading or if there is a second bay.
It's been confirmed the m2 slot is empty and available like the OG PS5.

sendit

The drive still looks tacked on rather than thought out as an integral part of the design. Though contrary to what a lot of people saying -- and making the best of a bad situation -- I actually prefer the more angular protrusion of the drive here. The old look occupied a half-arsed middle ground where it was clearly out of place but trying (and failing) to fit in with the curves. Good design ethos usually says follow the lines/rules or break them. Don't "try" to fit something in, either fit it in or don't. The physical button next to the drive looks a bit cheap.
The drive is meant to be tacked on. Sony wants to do away with physical releases. This gives them an easy out and a data point to make the decision clearer.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The drive is meant to be tacked on. Sony wants to do away with physical releases. This gives them an easy out and a data point to make the decision clearer.
Will be curious to see the split sitting in stores though it looks like the ones pictured include the drive

Side note its really odd to me to make a single sku console with a detachable drive and still sell them with the drive installed.

Brucey

Will be curious to see the split sitting in stores though it looks like the ones pictured include the drive

Side note its really odd to me to make a single sku console with a detachable drive and still sell them with the drive installed.
It certainly goes against the narrative that Sony are desperate to ditch physical media and disk drives in favor of digital only with very limited drive availability...

ReBurn

Gold Member
It certainly goes against the narrative that Sony are desperate to ditch physical media and disk drives in favor of digital only with very limited drive availability...
I don't think they did it specifically to ditch physical media. I think it was primarily to reduce the cost associated with manufacturing separate motherboard and case configurations. People are already ditching physical media on their own. They don't need the push.

Brucey

Surely Sony would have made these COD bundles digital PS5 only if that were the case?

Mr.Phoenix

Surely Sony would have made these COD bundles digital PS5 only if that were the case?
I think we should wait and see the price of the bundle before we make assumptions. I won't be surprised if it costs $560

Can some mfer grab one and start doing some testing on youtube ? i wanna hear how loud is it and are we going to play the fan lottery again ?
I am sure someone like Austin Evans will get one in the next couple of days. And rip it down in the most anticlimactic way possible while making nonsensical assumptions of what is wha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom