• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New LOZ, will it be Nintendo's fastest & best-selling game?

Tritroid

Kiriku said:
I don't think the Zelda series is that popular, but it'll probably sell fast due to a lot of Nintendo fans already pre-ordering one or two copies. And well, yeah...it could become Nintendo's best-selling game this gen...but that's partly because the competition isn't exactly amazing so far.

As of March 04:

1987 NES Legend of Zelda 6.510
1988 NES Zelda II: The Adventure of Link 4.380
1992 SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4.610
1993 GB The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 3.830
1998 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of TIme 7.600
- CGB The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX 2.220
2000 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3.360
2001 CGB The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons 3.960
- CGB The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages 3.960
2002 GBA The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/FS 1.890
2003 GCN The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 3.070

Total sales: 41.43 million

Yeah, so unpopular. :rolleyes

beerbelly

Banned
I don't think it will sell as much as WW because by the time it comes out a newer system by Sony or Microsoft will be a big distraction. Zelda fans are a dying breed.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Society said:
Except Zelda.

Wait, you seriously think the next Zelda will outsell the next Final Fantasy? I hate to say this but you, sir, are an idiot.

You can argue the quality of game (hell, I think the FF series is crap). You can argue "sells more compared to the overall installed user base." But if you really think that the next Zelda will outsell the next FF iteration, you're just in denial.

Chrono

Banned
beerbelly said:
kids always scream the loudest ;)

uh, the same kids that bought all those zelda games? look at the first post in this page again.

Kids or no kids, Zelda is alive and kicking and will continue to kick ass and turn every game developer green with envy. Zelda >> *

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Tritroid said:
As of March 04:

1987 NES Legend of Zelda 6.510
1988 NES Zelda II: The Adventure of Link 4.380
1992 SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4.610
1993 GB The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 3.830
1998 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of TIme 7.600
- CGB The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX 2.220
2000 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3.360
2001 CGB The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons 3.960
- CGB The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages 3.960
2002 GBA The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/FS 1.890
2003 GCN The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 3.070

Total sales: 41.43 million

Yeah, so unpopular. :rolleyes

Save the :rolleyes and read my previous post.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Guys & SSX, I was referring solely to NA sales, not ww. I don't see anything challenging it sales-wise here next year. JPN is another story completely. And Society, was the 3 million+ you posted OOT's NA total? If that's the case, then yes the new LOZ could definitely outsell it.

AniHawk

Li Mu Bai said:
Guys & SSX, I was referring solely to NA sales, not ww. I don't see anything challenging it sales-wise here next year. JPN is another story completely. And Society, was the 3 million+ you posted OOT's NA total? If that's the case, then yes the new LOZ could definitely outsell it.

Nintendo would have to do a lot of advertising, and hype it even more than OoT itself to get those kinds of sales in basically about 1 year. Nintendo will have two holiday seasons to sell the game, but the second one will be when Revolution hits. I don't think the new Legend of Zelda, as spectacular as it looks, will outsell OoT in NA.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Nerevar said:
Wait, you seriously think the next Zelda will outsell the next Final Fantasy? I hate to say this but you, sir, are an idiot.

You can argue the quality of game (hell, I think the FF series is crap). You can argue "sells more compared to the overall installed user base." But if you really think that the next Zelda will outsell the next FF iteration, you're just in denial.

Yes, I think LOZ will sell more than 2Million copies.

.. yes. I think it will be. Zelda fans + an increased installed base = best selling game... on the cube. It could quite easily also be their best selling game across the board.

Nerevar

Society said:
Yes, I think LOZ will sell more than 2Million copies.

Uh, I hate to break it to you, but FFX sold almost 2 million copies in four days for its initial release. It's going to have to sell a lot more than that to beat out FFXII, considering that the finals for FFX were something like over 6 and a half million.

Nerevar

Society said:
FFX has barely sold 2 million copies in 30 months. MK: DD is close to eclipsing FFX, in a much shorter time period.

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~hokora/ps2ranka.html

I would like to see this 6Million copies of FFX sold in America number.

Umm, I was referring to international numbers ...

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasy10/news_6086686.html
Square Enix has today announced that more than a million copies of Final Fantasy X-2 have been sold in North America since it was released in November. Combined with more than 2 million sales in Japan and around 6.6 million worldwide sales of Final Fantasy X, today's announcement brings the total number of units shipped for Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 to more than 10 million

Li Mu Bai

Banned
beerbelly said:
I don't think it will sell as much as WW because by the time it comes out a newer system by Sony or Microsoft will be a big distraction. Zelda fans are a dying breed.

Another console by Sony? You have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about do you in regards of projected console releases do you?

Li Mu Bai

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Now unless this game is the single biggest gameplay evolution of the Zelda series, which would really be difficult to accomplish after OoT and its new-fangled 3D gameplay, I'd say that this game will end up being the 2nd best-selling GC title ever...with SSB: M ahead of it and RE4 being right behind it.

The gameplay evolution doesn't matter MH, this is what the masses want. Although some obvious innovations are being made, (like fighting on horseback for example, etc.) but it could best SSBM for overall NA sales. I was attempting to echoe the casual gamer in my regards to buying based upon system specifications, but also personally I'll be investing in the Revolution & the PS3. I do not like the fact that MS is cutting the system's lifecycle short, basically giving the gamer no reason to invest money into it after this Christmas essentially. RE4 behind LOZ? I wish. It will sell extremely well in addition to pushing consoles, but this would be a gargantuan feat to be the 3rd best-selling Cube title. Can it eclipse a million sales in NA? Yes. I believe it is the first Nintendo exclusive that possesses the potential to be a major cross-over mainstream hit. But competition from MP:Echoes, PM2, & ultimately LOZ could prove too much. Top 5 or 6 in overall sales? Easily. Also consider when WW & MKDD go Player's Choice. (sustained sales) Unless RE4 has a GTA-esque like effect on the GC & its userbase, (dependent upon its marketing & how heavily it's pushed) which is indeed a possibility, & a thought I've been entertaining, then you could indeed be correct.

AniHawk

Li Mu Bai said:
The gameplay evolution doesn't matter MH, this is what the masses want. Although some obvious innovations are being made, (like fighting on horseback for example, etc.) but it could best SSBM for overall NA sales. I was attempting to echoe the casual gamer in my regards to buying based upon system specifications, but also personally I'll be investing in the Revolution & the PS3. I do not like the fact that MS is cutting the system's lifecycle short, basically giving the gamer no reason to invest money into it after this Christmas essentially. RE4 behind LOZ? I wish. It will sell extremely well in addition to pushing consoles, but this would be a gargantuan feat to be the 3rd best-selling Cube title. Can it eclipse a million sales in NA? Yes. I believe it is the first Nintendo exclusive that possesses the potential to be a major cross-over mainstream hit. But competition from MP:Echoes, PM2, & ultimately LOZ could prove too much. Top 5 or 6 in overall sales? Easily. Also consider when WW & MKDD go Player's Choice. (sustained sales) Unless RE4 has a GTA-esque like effect on the GC & its userbase, (dependent upon its marketing & how heavily it's pushed) which is indeed a possibility, & a thought I've been entertaining, then you could indeed be correct.

Nintendo should do a 2.5 minute movie trailer for this game before the big fall movies next year (which I have no clue what they'll be) using Riders of Doom.

Or if I were them, I'd use Charging Fort Wagner.

beerbelly

Banned
Li Mu Bai said:
Another console by Sony? You have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about do you in regards of projected console releases?

Read again. I said Sony OR Microsoft. Knowing Nintendo, they will release Zelda till Christmas 2005, when a new console may be released. But so what if I have little knowledge on projected console releases? Do you feel l33t3r than I? Some of you seem to disapprove any negative comments (which could come true) and only like to glorify your own theories. Why bother ending your topic question with a question mark if you're only expecting a 'yes they will sell like hotcakes!!' answer?

AniHawk

5{elly]Read again. I said Sony OR Microsoft. Knowing Nintendo, they will release Zelda till Christmas 2005, when a new console may be released. But so what if I have little knowledge on projected console releases? Do you feel l33t3r than I? Some of you seem to disapprove any negative comments (which could come true) and only like to glorify your own theories. Why bother ending your topic question with a question mark if you're only expecting a 'yes they will sell like hotcakes!!' answer?[/QUOTE]

What he meant was that Sony is not gonna be releasing a console next year.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
beerbelly said:
Read again. I said Sony OR Microsoft. Knowing Nintendo, they will release Zelda till Christmas 2005, when a new console may be released. But so what if I have little knowledge on projected console releases? Do you feel l33t3r than I? Some of you seem to disapprove any negative comments (which could come true) and only like to glorify your own theories. Why bother ending your topic question with a question mark if you're only expecting a 'yes they will sell like hotcakes!!' answer?

BB, it's simple here. Don't make uneducated & unfounded comments, them being negative or positive. This isn't Opa-Ages, have at least a basis for making or defending an opinion you have formulated. We can debate here without degenerating into hurling obscenities. And no, I don't feel better than you.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Kiriku said:
I thought this was about worldwide sales. And what I meant was, there hasn't really been any BIG hit (like Super Mario 64 or Goldeneye last gen). Yes, the games have sold well, but not amazing IMO. Maybe I'm just expecting too much. ;)

Kiriku, ww sales show multiple million-sellers. (many more than the X-Box) If you're referring to quality, that's completely subjective. But I understand your point, & somewhat agree with the lack of "super" killer console sales application. (although MP deserved this honor IMO) But you also must consider the now installed ww userbase, ratios, etc. Although there's always RE4, Echoes, & LOZ on the horizon. The X-Box has only one, Halo. Though understandably, MS is just establishing its IPs.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
In a perfect world, RE4 would sell a million in NA. :)

Hopefully CVXFREAK, there are enough, or will be by this holiday's season rush, to support those numbers. IMO, there will be. Graphic whoredom & gratuitous violence both have their strong allure to the casual gamer. A $99 GC price-point coupled with this exclusive will most assuredly move systems as well. On top of that, it being a great RE game IMO, (after the RE:Online debacle) only adds credence to my 1st statement. (I played the demo repeatedly at E3) Also, many more casuals own the system now since last year's price drop. And many others will purchase one for this title alone. Capcom's marketing always beats out Nintendo's by showing plenty of game footage. (remember MP's commercial) Also Perrin Kaplan did say they would be assisting Capcom in their marketing efforts. They even see this game's mainstream potential & appeal.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Grubdog said:
It has potential. But i've said that about almost every big GC game ever released by Nintendo, and heh, they haven't impressed that much. There's no way anyone can predict how much this game will sell yet, we have to wait and see, but yes, it has potential.

No Nintendo produced game thus far has shown close to this much potential. To say otherwise, you would only be deluding yourself. The demo did much more than impress, I thought people were losing their minds while it was being shown. I am not really predicting, it will be their top-seller. Stating the obvious here, but it will easily surpass all other internal projects that Nintendo has actually produced utilizing & finally exploiting the technical power of the GC. To this date, I don't believe EAD has truly done so. When complete, comprehensively it will be a sight to behold.

geogaddi

Banned
If the game captures the imagination of people, then it will sell. I don't think "hype" alone can make the new LOZ the fastest and best selling game. The game needs to able to make people think "damn, I wish I can live in this fantasy world of Zelda" and the game also needs to have its strong nostalgic factors to attract the ol' school gamers. An orchestrated and fully realized, organic rendition of the blue, dungeon 1 from Zelda 1 would be sweet.

Deku Tree

I hope so Zelda Reborn is Nintendo's best and fastest selling Next-Gen game.
It looks like a great game and if it is then I hope customers buy it so they encourage Nintendo to make more of 'em!

Li Mu Bai

Banned
geogaddi said:
If the game captures the imagination of people, then it will sell. I don't think "hype" alone can make the new LOZ the fastest and best selling game. The game needs to able to make people think "damn, I wish I can live in this fantasy world of Zelda" and the game also needs to have its strong nostalgic factors to attract the ol' school gamers. An orchestrated and fully realized, organic rendition of the blue, dungeon 1 from Zelda 1 would be sweet.

Ummm....Enter the Matrix & a host of others come to mind.

Joe

i havent been into zelda since the 8-bit days but watching my friend play through ocarina of time the past few days i can see how a "mature" zelda would kick all sorts of ass.

AniHawk

Joe said:
i havent been into zelda since the 8-bit days but watching my friend play through ocarina of time the past few days i can see how a "mature" zelda would kick all sorts of ass.

Play OoT and then MM. MM is darkest in the series. TWW had style, but I think the cartoony look and the seriousness in the dialogue (mostly and especially during the ending) clashed too hard.

It could be cool to start the game at the end of OoT, in all the new graphics, as sort of an interactive prologue, and then some text like during TWW's beginning to describe what has happened, and why Link must fight again.

That is, only if this is a prequel to The Wind Waker and/or a sequel to Ocarina of Time.

Deg

Banned
AniHawk said:
Play OoT and then MM. MM is darkest in the series. TWW had style, but I think the cartoony look and the seriousness in the dialogue (mostly and especially during the ending) clashed too hard.

It could be cool to start the game at the end of OoT, in all the new graphics, as sort of an interactive prologue, and then some text like during TWW's beginning to describe what has happened, and why Link must fight again.

That is, only if this is a prequel to The Wind Waker and/or a sequel to Ocarina of Time.

It better be all new.

AniHawk

Gunsmoke said:
Not only that, but the cube will undoubtedly be selling at a price cheaper than the game itself.

LOL! "Undoubtedly?"

Nintendo has a variety of options before dropping the price THAT low!

The main problems with WW were the obscenely weak difficulty, poor dungeon design and bland challenge, and slow, not-so-fun boat piloting/wind waking. I hope the new Zelda has none of WW's problems. A reimagining of Zelda I or, better yet, II is needed in 3D. I kinda hope that the new one is that game.

AniHawk

Gunsmoke said:
sure, they can always spray paint a cube gold color and sell it as a bundle.

But this game looks like we won't see a release until the END of 2005.

And that means Xbox2, NDS, PSP ? would have hit market.

It's already started, so what do you think the price is going to suddenly jump up ? in another 18 - 24 months ?
I have no doubts, there is no doubts and it is undoubtedly so !

I'm talking about the US. The GC is pretty much screwed in the PAL regions, especially UK.

The options I see for GC:

Two controllers and system for $99.99
Bundle with SSBM for $99.99
Bundle with SMB for $99.99
Bundle with MK:DD for $119.99
Bundle with Sonic Adventure 2:Battle for $99.99
Zelda: FSA + GC link cable + mem card 59 + Zelda TWW bundle for $149.99
Pricecut to $79.99
GC + GBA + link cable for $129.99
GC + GBA SP + link cable for $149.99

THEN pricecut to $69.99, then pricecut to $49.99

Like I said, Nintendo has a variety of options before selling their system at their games prices. I think the GC will be $100 for a long while, at least until the next Zelda comes out. I'd be surprised if they skip to a price cut without trying anything else out first.

AniHawk

Gunsmoke said:
I'm talking about when ZELDA hits the market. I distinctly said in another 18 - 24 months time. All those thought provoking bundles wil be worthless.
N.Revolutions will be on the front of every video game magazine cover.*

*cept rival mags ;)

When Zelda hits the market, Revolution and PS3 will still be another 12 months away.

AniHawk

Gunsmoke said:
I don't think so . . . once xbox2 hits the streets, we all know that both rivals will start releasing their press media in order to put a damper on xbox2 sales.

Well I'm not so sure Sony would be also willing to hurt PS2 sales as Kingdom Hearts II and Final Fantasy XII hit US shores either.

Uno Ill Nino said:
I don't think the general public will give as much of a shit as you think. Zelda has been over-exposed this gen. I'm not saying it'll be a sleeper, I just don't think it'll be hotly anticipated like say, GTA:SA, Halo 2, or even a new Mario game. I think Nintendo has milked that cow and all the lon-lon milk is gonna dry up if they milk it too much more.
Alittle on the special side i see./././

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
I don't think so . . . once xbox2 hits the streets, we all know that both rivals will start releasing their press media in order to put a damper on xbox2 sales.

Just as Ani said, highly unlikely. Sony still has some very high profile software releasing in '05, as does Nintendo & MS. (KOTOR 2, CBFD, Kameo, Splinter Cell 3, BC, DOA4, HL2, Jade Empire, FFXII, LOZ, DK:Jungle Beat, Animal Crossing 2, Geist, SMB3, Mario Tennis, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Dead Phoenix, Maximo 3, Ice Nine, Starcraft:Ghost, ICO II, Dynasty Warriors 5, The Punisher, Timesplitters 3, Tekken 5, Xenosaga:Ep. II, Phantasy Star:Universe, Hulk 2, God of War, Dark Cloud 3, The Getaway:Black Monday, Star Wars:Ep. III, Black, Kingdom Hearts II, 1945, Enthusia:professional Racing, Dragon Warrior GT, etc.) Should I go on?

You seem to somehow believe that MS is in some sort of a driver's seat, you're gravely mistaken. Any software being released for the X-Box in '05 is virtually a consumer waste IMO. Also this may put Xenon on the DC's path, of course MS would never allow this to happen monetarily.

LMB, why is it that you always talk in factual terms? I mean, you always type in responses that sound like what you're saying is incontrovertible.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
LMB, why is it that you always talk in factual terms? I mean, you always type in responses that sound like what you're saying is incontrovertible.

I try not to MH, that's why I state IMO. But saying that 3rd parties are basically going to drop their most lucrative ship, & that Nintendo & Sony have to go on a major press release campaign to counteract MS's momentum is somewhat of a fanboyish comment & highly presumptious. Sony is the industry leader, not the reverse.

Alittle on the special side i see./././

Oh wow. You sure told me! I guess I'll know better than to have an opinion that doesn't hold Nintendo in the highest esteem from now on! Go polish your Zelda action figures.

Top Bottom