• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New major publisher coming to GoG

The only Star Wars game that I truly want back from the dead, it ain't never gonna happen :(

Star_Wars_Galaxies_Box_Art.jpg

inm8num2

I wonder how this will unfold - how many games released at first, and how frequently will new ones come?

Given that most of the adventure titles run in ScummVM, those seem to be strong candidates for games to expect sooner rather than later. Then you have DosBox for the other older games, which would probably need more testing/tweaking.

Arcadius

Banned
I never played old Lucas Art games, so this would be really cool to have them be a publisher with GoG, but is there a reason why those fonts make people think of LA right away?

Zeeman

I never played old Lucas Art games, so this would be really cool to have them be a publisher with GoG, but is there a reason why those fonts make people think of LA right away?

Because they're the Indiana Jones, Star Wars and Monkey Island fonts

e: At least, I think the last one is Monkey Island, but looking at the old game logos, now I'm not sure

e2: No wait, I was right, Tales has that same style "O"
1snOYwT.jpg

I wonder how this will unfold - how many games released at first, and how frequently will new ones come?

Given that most of the adventure titles run in ScummVM, those seem to be strong candidates for games to expect sooner rather than later. Then you have DosBox for the other older games, which would probably need more testing/tweaking.

The million dollar question would be how many of the games would be games that are not already available on Steam, especially considering Disney dumped a load of old games on Steam a couple of weeks back. It would be a massive disappointment if all GOG got was the stuff LucasArts released on Steam a few years back and the new Disney dump. There's an absolute tonne of classics in the LucasArts catalogue that are not legally available, and it would be a massive shame if GOG fails to get them.

inm8num2

The million dollar question would be how many of the games would be games that are not already available on Steam, especially considering Disney dumped a load of old games on Steam a couple of weeks back. It would be a massive disappointment if all GOG got was the stuff LucasArts released on Steam a few years back and the new Disney dump. There's an absolute tonne of classics in the LucasArts catalogue that are not legally available, and it would be a massive shame if GOG fails to get them.

I hear what you're saying. Sometimes I forget that a fair amount of old LucasArts games are on Steam. It's certainly possible that the Disney titles recently released on Steam are a major part of the early wave of releases, but hopefully in the long run the old LA games which aren't available on Steam trickle through.

The good sign is that GOG is teasing Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Monkey Island, and it would be foolish of them to do so if at least one of those series isn't part of the first releases.

Wow thanks inm8num2 for the detailed analysis. That's pretty exciting!

No problem (I borrowed those images from a thread at GOG). :)

GOG have a much bigger interest in getting everything then steam do. I'd not be surprised if they offered to the heavy work for any games that don't function easily.

They should just drop FATE, DOTT, TIE Fighter, MI2 & Racer on day one and show anyone who's not familiar with Lucasarts just how damn good they once were.

Hot damn! I thought this was pretty much dead in the water, and even if it did happen I figured it'd be limited to the adventure games. Very exciting!

Yeah, all of the adventure games would be super easy since I think everything on their list has extremely thorough ScummVM support these days. The most classic Star Wars games will be pretty challenging -- the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games are all Win 95, for example, which is far and away the most challenging era of games to adapt to today's PCs.

Yeah, all of the adventure games would be super easy since I think everything on their list has extremely thorough ScummVM support these days. The most classic Star Wars games will be pretty challenging -- the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games are all Win 95, for example, which is far and away the most challenging era of games to adapt to today's PCs.

I recall TIE Fighter having a DOS version so I assume X-Wing did too. The DOS version also had imuse, which the win95 version lacked.

androvsky

Hot damn! I thought this was pretty much dead in the water, and even if it did happen I figured it'd be limited to the adventure games. Very exciting!

They could release the original DOS versions of X-Wing/TIE Fighter, or at least include them with the remakes. Funny thing is Win 95 games tend to run much better on Linux through Wine, so hopefully support will be forthcoming on Linux for those versions of the games.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that's Lucasarts alright. That'll be a LOT of games bought at GOG.

Again.

Minsc

Gold Member

TIE Fighter and X-Wing are both DOS as well though (640x480 SVGA in the Collector's CDs), and the DOS versions had the superior iMuse music. The looped audio from the 95 version is pretty crappy due to how abruptly it kicks in and out compared to the dynamically mixed score from imuse.

Edit: Not fast enough lol

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, I guess I'll guy Jedi Academy a 3rd time. Also, I really wanna check out Day of the Tentacle. For Grim Fandango I'll wait for the Vita port.

Yarbskoo

Oh god is it happening? It's happening isn't it?

Time to call the bank, because I'm about to make some purchases from a blocked country.

Come here, actually buyable Curse of Monkey Island. And you too, Escape, while we're at it. Yes. Even you.

Escape will probably take a while to show up, as it's still fairly buggy in Scummvm's Residual. It's made big strides in the last year though, and is now completable.

halfbeast

Banned
YES! :O

if they released TIE Fighter, I would SO buy it! like, with my money and everything!

also, hypothetically, are there any good but cheap usb joysticks (that are leftie friendly)? it's the only way to play that game.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Yeah, I guess that is true. But even still, at the time of release this game was considered non-canon? (genuinely can't remember)

Either way, that game was amazing, I don't think it is on steam either, so it would be amazing if it got a release!

Edit: side note, i fucked the name up. It's Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

The Jedi Knight games are as canon as anything was in the EU (read: as canon as the novels or comics), and Kyle Katarn showed up in non-videogame EU content semi-regularly. All four Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games are available on Steam, although Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight lacks music.

Imagine a world where Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight has full Windows 8 compatibility and licensed music. Not saying it'll happen, but Disney's opening up in ways few expected.

i'd love to play the phantom menace game, that game is great

Not a lot of people liked it, I never thought it was all that bad. Enjoyed it more than the movie, at least.

That said, I'd suggest people not get their hopes up too much. I just can't see a situation where GoG inks a deal to release some of the highly sought after games (TIE Fighter) before Steam could. Especially after Disney just dumped a load of games on Steam, I would assume their relationship is pretty good. I'd bet it'll be a release of a lot of the stuff Steam already has, just maybe that it'll work a little better since GoG puts some good time into modern compatibility.

epmode

That said, I'd suggest people not get their hopes up too much. I just can't see a situation where GoG inks a deal to release some of the highly sought after games (TIE Fighter) before Steam could. Especially after Disney just dumped a load of games on Steam

Those games were dumped onto Steam with practically no changes from the original release. Probably took no time at all. That's why Split/Second still has that awful, useless DRM.

While Valve isn't hands-on when it comes to tweaking old games for modern compatibility, that's precisely what GOG does. They've often gone the extra mile, doing the extra work in exchange for temporary GOG exclusivity. I'm pretty sure we'll see the same thing here.

inm8num2

Those games were dumped onto Steam with practically no changes from the original release. Probably took no time at all. That's why Split/Second still has that awful, useless DRM.

While Valve isn't hands-on when it comes to tweaking old games for modern compatibility, that's precisely what GOG does. They've often gone the extra mile, doing the extra work in exchange for temporary GOG exclusivity. I'm pretty sure we'll see the same thing here.

Yup, and funnily enough Disney will probably release certain games onto Steam after GOG tweaks them and makes them playable on modern OS. :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if Disney realises it owns Stubbs the Zombie. I did my due diligence and PM'd the account that did the Steam-related AMA with a rather long message that basically boiled down to "You guys own the game and here's proof, so please bring it back", but never got a response. I'm not surprised it was a throwaway account, however I didn't have much of a choice as there doesn't seem to be any other way to contact the department within Disney that's handling all of this.

SparkTR

Holy fuck if they actually pulled this off. With this and NOLF possible coming out I'm more excited for older game releases than newer stuff.

My immediate thought before entering the thread was "EA!" thinking that maybe I'd finally be able to buy EA games digitally through GOG, but Lucasarts classics would be even more amazing, ESPECIALLY if they bring back all those amazing games that aren't really available anywhere else anymore (Tie Fighter, Episode 1 Racer, etc.).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, I know they had the older EA games, I meant more like newer games like Dead Space 3 or Dragon Age 3. Granted those aren't GOG specialties, but they do get some newer games on occasion.

That's not going to happen for the same reason none of Ubi's Uplay games are on GOG: because they exist to prop up the publisher's own service.

That's not going to happen for the same reason none of Ubi's Uplay games are on GOG: because they exist to prop up the publisher's own service.
Haha, I know. :(
It wasn't the smartest thought in the world, but it was still the first thing I thought of, oddly.

But seeing the OP and the hilariously obvious evidence of Lucasarts was even better than I had hoped for!

bigjig

Wow I had legitimately given up hope of ever seeing Lucasarts' back catalog on gog when they closed and were sold to Disney. Damn between the Star Wars, point and click games and random oddities like Afterlife and Outlaws I'm probably going to be up for 100 - 200 bucks depending on how they price them :p

vazel

Banned
Really looking forward to Star Wars Episode I: Racer, Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo, Shadows of the Empire, X-Wing series, and of course the adventure games.

mclem

Seeing the fonts side-by-side with the originals, they haven't quite got Indy right, have they? No drop shadow and too rigidly sized (although the latter's probably just a side-effect of making the font viable.)

celebi23

It's finally happening? Damn, Tuesday is going to be awesome :D So, how many SCUMM games do you think will be up on Tuesday?

Top Bottom