• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Metroid Prime 3 Screens

Tristam

HAL_Laboratory said:
It really bothers me that when you use the Wii remote (in your right hand for most people) to open door locks, Samus reaches out with her left hand.

:\

I agree. Shouldn't the accelerometers in the Nunchuk suffice?

White Man said:
Heck no, I thought at least MP had great art design through and through. The game wasn't pushing high tech, but the awesome art design fooled a lot of people into thinking it was. I only played the first couple hours of MP2, but I got the same impression there.

I think your impression of Echoes was based on a hasty judgment; since we've seen less than 20 minutes of footage on Corruption, the impression is even less justified. I'll concede that I'm not hot on the techno-industrial look of the galactic federation's space station, but neither does the space station in Super Metroid give you an accurate representation of the game's appearance. It's not as if the team fell off completely (as is obvious from this shot: http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748547/img_3915496.html).

As for Metroid Prime: the Magmoor Caverns and Phazon Mines? It was all rocks and lava (or phazon) with little space pirate bases cropping up every now and then.

928517_20070522_screen003.jpg

These screens have a stupid resolution of 792 x 451. Can someone try to resize them at 480 x 843 ?

Bah. I have examined the image a little bit and my conclusion is that it is a very low quality screen with strange resolution. I mean, this screen is less then 200k. What do you pretend to have with that ?

StevieP

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Bah. I have examined the image a little bit and my conclusion is that it is a very low quality screen with strange resolution. I mean, this screen is less then 200k. What do you pretend to have with that ?

Yeah, we already came to that conclusion. It was just buried in the mountains of vile crap spewed forth throughout this thread. Bad captures, bad resolution (which makes them look even worse) and overall they probably shouldn't have spent so little time taking these screens. But, nothing we can do until we see the game in motion, or at the very least, a proper resolution that doesn't introduce such horrid looking aliasing and artifacting.

Kevar said:
This is the most absurd thread I've ever read on NeoGAF. Some of you are letting your seething, blind Nintendo hatred show a little too much, and others are just being ridiculous - especially the irrational reactions to the "secondary characters" in that one screenshot.

If you liked Prime 1 & 2, what the hell are you worried about? If you didn't, why are you even paying attention to this game?
I think your post is the most absurd in the entire thread. How can you fail to see why people are worried when:

1. The studio that did the most graphically impressive games for the GC gives their new Wii titel one extra year of development time. Everyone thinks it's to update the graphics wich would make alot of sense. Now they release new screens that looks horrible.

2. They've already shown trailers with bad dialog, secondary characters and Samus boss on a space ship, all with a very Halo-wannabe feeling.

3. MP 1/2 didn't even need dual analog, now they throw in a completly new combat system, PC-style but worse.

If you liked MP 1 and 2 you really should be worried.

bud

The Take Out Bandit said:
Hey, wait guys.

These dudes are really screwing up Metroid. Aren't they in Austin, TX?

Maybe when I move there I can get a job doing character design. Check it out:

futroid.jpg

Metroi/d!

:lol :lol :lol

Krowley

Neo Child said:
I liked Prime 1 but not Prime 2.

I think there was definitly a slight decline from prime 1 to prime 2. I don't think it's all that unusual to be concerned in this case. Some of the weakest aspects of prime 2 seem to be present in this game as well.. Secondary characters is one obvious example.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Once again you guys have outdone yourselves, this is the worst thread I have ever read. Is anyone here over the age of 13?

I say bring on MP3, the follow up to my favourite 2 games of last gen, with controls to suit nintendo's brilliant new controllers.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
FunkyMunkey said:
**** this.

I can make a thread questioning Sony's PR's comment towards using charity as ammunition against other companies, and it's locked immediately. Yet this POS thread(with no insight beforehand of what would happen), infested with angsty Nintendo trolls waiting for ANYTHING to jump on their ass about, isn't locked or modified in ANY way.

GG GAF.

Really? I thought Juniors couldn't start threads?
:lol

Krowley

Geezer said:
In other words, you're dishing out a free pass because it's on the Wii?

uhhh..

metroid prime and metroid prime 2 were some of the best looking games from last gen but they look like crap in screens... This game is the same. In videos there is a DRASTIC difference compared to screens. That's not damage control, it's just the truth..

it's partly due to poor captures,

it's partly due to the abstract art style which makes it hard to determine what you're looking at in screens

and it's also because metroid primes excellent framerate and awesome use of particle effects can't be detected in screenshots.

Just a word at all the troll that complain about the new screenshots:

The playable demo at E³ 2005 looked awsome. Clearly better visuals than MP2. Now we have those atrocious 5 screenshots, and you start thinking that the game will look like THAT? That RetroStudios made the graphics worse? Why? Is it the pure fun of trolling or is there some reasoning behind this?

Hasn't anyone figured out that there's no way to really judge a game's visuals until the retail product hits and you see it yourself? I don't recall a game ever looking the same as it did in shots or even videos, though they sometimes give you a good idea of what to expect overall. It'll look good, sheesh.

brandonh83 said:
Hasn't anyone figured out that there's no way to really judge a game's visuals until the retail product hits and you see it yourself? I don't recall a game ever looking the same as it did in shots or even videos, though they sometimes give you a good idea of what to expect overall. It'll look good, sheesh.
But if a developer is complacent then the criticism is justified. I'm not saying anything about Retro but in general.

Taking feedback from GAF/equivalent (with troll goggles) and professional critique from previewers is a way to improve the product. Jaffe even said when you spend too much time with a product you forget that you are not the end user.

It is undeniable that the work presented here needs work. When coupled with a release date it does nothing to suggest that this is unfinished. They should have put a "work in progress" tag on screens like this to prevent s*** storms like this.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Why is everyone bashing people who are complaining?

I'm really excited about MP3 - I've played it, and its sweet - but stop kidding yourself, those are some really really bad pics.

The game will look good, don't kid yousrelf otherwise, but honestly, its not leaps and bounds better than MP2 (it was never meant to be), and the bottomline is... those pics suck.

Oh well.

Krowley

John Harker said:
The game will look good, don't kid yousrelf otherwise, but honestly, its not leaps and bounds better than MP2 (it was never meant to be)

And that's my only complaint.

It looks great, but it should be leaps and bounds ahead of MP2.. Right now it looks like a high end xbox game in videos. That's nothing to sneeze at, but retro basicly achieved that last gen.. You would expect with stronger hardware and a deep knowledge of the GC architecture, they could achieve a lot more.

The game definitly looks great, but what we've seen so far is a disapointment coming from retro. There are 3rd party wii games that look equal or better (dewy and even Harry Potter are in the same league if not above it.)

I bought a wii so obviously i'm not a graphics whore, but it would be dishonest to say that I was entirley satisfied with MP's visuals so far.

brandonh83 said:

Most people criticizing it don't own the hardware necessary to play it.

Same crap, new day, different system.

Halo 3 = Halo 2.5!!

Now today its one of the other system's game showing up, time for the previously struck fanboys to strike back!

MP3 = crappier than MP1!!

rolleyes.gif

SumGamer

mp3.jpg

Just saw this when checking an email today. Has it been confirmed? Or a hoax?
People here should knows things better than Gamespot. Why do they keep them a secret all this time?

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
SumGamer said:
mp3.jpg

People here should knows things better than Gamespot. Why do they keep them a secret all this time?
W.T.F.?

Muppet345

Thrillhouse said:
I think your post is the most absurd in the entire thread. How can you fail to see why people are worried when:

1. The studio that did the most graphically impressive games for the GC gives their new Wii titel one extra year of development time. Everyone thinks it's to update the graphics wich would make alot of sense. Now they release new screens that looks horrible.

2. They've already shown trailers with bad dialog, secondary characters and Samus boss on a space ship, all with a very Halo-wannabe feeling.

3. MP 1/2 didn't even need dual analog, now they throw in a completly new combat system, PC-style but worse.

If you liked MP 1 and 2 you really should be worried.
1. They are obviously bad captures. Nintendo is retarded. This it not new.

2. Have they? Oh, no, they haven't. We just have some out-of-context screenshots and some neat surfer dude in the E3 demo. The rest was apart of an opening cinematic. Of course, this isn't the first time the whiny part of the Metroid fan base has gotten their nipples twisted - a lot of you seem to scrutinize anything for something to bitch about, and then slurp it up when the game actually comes out. It happened with Prime - oh god, did it ever happen with Prime - and then again with Echoes.

3. Completely new combat system? It's a completely new controller, so of course it is! Plus there's still lock-on, so it must fundamentally be similar.

Threi

notag
SumGamer said:
mp3.jpg

:lol :lol

Tristam

LOL. Is the title that difficult to read? "Samus' next outing headlines Nintendo's Wii and DS release schedule for Q3 2007." It headlines the release schedule of either of Nintendo's systems, especially since the DS release schedule is rather barren. It certainly doesn't mean Metroid Prime 3 is now appearing on DS. Tsk, tsk.

PoliceCop

Banned
I like how it's the same people who were saying that the game was going to reemerge with substantially better graphics and "really show us what the Wii can do" that are getting super defensive about the quality of the screens. Honestly, do any of you actually like the design for the purple haired lady? She looks like she belongs in an entirely different game.

Sullichin

GaimeGuy said:
Erm, yeah, that's old. It's been posted in this thread before, too. It's the intro trailer from the E3 demo of Prime 3 from last year.

Wait -- I'm confused. The video has that purple woman & the other hunters, and everyone here is acting like the screenshot with them is the first time that they've ever seen these characters. Certainly, it's the first time I've seen them. Are you sure that video is old? It also has that (what looks like) on-rails-grappling area that one of the screens in the OP is from.

besada

Banned
Krowley said:
uhhh..

metroid prime and metroid prime 2 were some of the best looking games from last gen but they look like crap in screens... This game is the same.

I agree, in that MP3 will be one of the best looking games from last-gen. I think that's sorta the problem everyone has. If the Wii isn't two GCs taped together, why does MP# not look significantly better than MP2?

And when will someone tell Nintendo that jaggies make our eyes bleed.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sullichin said:
Wait -- I'm confused. The video has that purple woman & the other hunters, and everyone here is acting like the screenshot with them is the first time that they've ever seen these characters. Certainly, it's the first time I've seen them. Are you sure that video is old? It also has that (what looks like) on-rails-grappling area that one of the screens in the OP is from.

It's from Nintendo's september event if I'm not mistaken. I've seen that a long time ago so it's not new. I was gonna say that it was a bit late to be whinning about those characters, since we've seen them a long time ago.

I guess people were too busy bitching about the price of the Wii(ironically enough) to pay any real attention to the games at the event.

Endgegner

Sullichin said:

It's the introduction trailer to the E3 2006 demo, basically 1 year old.

psy18 said:
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1721

there's some metroid action in that trailer. (new?)
It's pretty dark, so it's a bit difficult to see the details.
But at least it still plays smoothly.

It is an interview with Beth Llewelyn. There is something inside, but it is too dark and I have the impression that the environment is the same of last year. Anyway, definitely better then these stupid screens we have had.

Top Bottom