• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Music Tuesdays: Week of January 24th, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGRE

Banned
WxPDC.png

Hey guys. This is a new thread I wanted to start so that everyone could see what was coming out music-wise every week. I'm going to try to have the thread up Sunday or Monday so that people can be ready for when the releases hit stores (digital and analog) on Tuesday.

I'm also going to give personal picks so that the lists are a little less daunting.

Where possible, I'll try to link to album streams that are available prior to release.

Of course, I will miss albums, so please just let me know in the post or through PM and I'll try my best to be diligent in adding them. Any other suggestions are welcome, too. I'm trying my best here, hah!

Without further ado, the list!

My Picks

ZorBR.jpg

John K. Samson | Provincial
RIYL: Hockey (He's a HUGE fan), The Weakerthans, Mountain Goats, Josh Ritter
The first full length solo album from John K. Samson of the Weakerthans (and Propaghandi). Samson has an impeccable talent for writing in a way that instantly transports you to the world he's created with his quirky lyrics. This album is hardly a departure from the Weakerthans sound, but, if you're a fan, that isn't a bad thing by any means.

You can stream the album here.

9TKbq.jpg

Cloud Nothings | Attack on Memory
RIYL: Superchunk, Half Japanese, Milk 'n’ Cookies

Wow. This albums came out of nowhere for me, and the band itself has kind of done the same for everyone else. Started as a distraction, Dylan Baldi's Cloud Nothings is tour de force of lo-fi indie rock. With three full lengths in three years, there are no signs of slowing. This album is a departure in that it's a bit more melodic and polished, yet slivers of brashness are found throughout. Oh yeah, legendary producer Steve Albini was at the helm on this one.

A great, honest interview with Baldi can be found here and you can stream the album here.

T1Inq.jpg

Nada Surf | The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy
RIYL: Superdrag, Actionslacks, Death Cab for Cutie

Remember that weird, spoken-word hit in 1996, "Popular"? Yeah, they're still around. On their seventh album, in fact. And they're still awesome. Great, straight forward pop rock from a band that could've gotten crushed in the cogs of the mainstream industry.

Stream the album on NPR.

jNfeX.jpg

Chairlift | Something
RIYL: The 80's with a bit of tension

As I'd said in the listening thread, this album really surprised me. I was completely bored by Chairlift's first album. I saw them open for Peter, Bjorn, and John in 2009, and was, again, completely bored. It seems like they've really hit their stride as a duo. If the pop of the 80's had taken itself a bit more serious, musically, it might sound like this album. Gorgeous hooks on the upbeat songs and moody ambiance on the tracks that aren't, many people are already touting it as the best album of 2012 thus far (I know, I know).

Stream here.

This Week's Other Releases

bIDgD.jpg

First Aid Kit | The Lion's Roar
RIYL: Emmylou Harris, Daniel Martin Moore, Fleet Foxes

Swedish Bluegrass/Folk duo that NPR says is drawing comparions to Fleet Foxes. I don't necessarily hear it, but you can stream the album on NPR and decide for yourselves.

0kM7N.jpg

Craig Finn | Clear Heart, Full Eyes
RIYL: The Hold Steady, Bruce Springsteen, Husker Du

The first full length from The Hold Steady front-man, Craig Finn. I've never been a huge fan of The Hold Steady, but I'm sure some of you are. You can stream the album in full on NPR.

QSc3z.jpg

Matt Pryor | May Day
RIYL: The Get Up Kids, Reggie & The Full Effect, New Amsterdams

The Get Up Kids are set in stone as one of the most influential bands in emo/indie rock and that is thanks to, in good part, Matt Pryor. Holding down duties in TGUK, New Amsterdams, Reggie & the Full Effect, and the Terrible Twos, this is Matt's second solo album. Stream the album here.

9vqC5.jpg

Lamb of God | Resolution
RIYL: Pantera, Machine Head, Hell Within, Shadows Fall

Self described as a return to form, this is the sixth album from heavy metal band Lamb of God.

xoaF5.jpg

Foxy Shazam | The Church of Rock and Roll
RIYL: Queen, The Darkness, Mika, Fun.

Foxy Shazam's second full-length finds the band trying to repeal a bit of the shine that made their debut somewhat sterile. The single "I Like It," retains every bit of ridiculousness you've come to expect from these Cincinnati natives. A choice quote from the chorus "That's the biggest black ass I've ever seen, and I like it." Yep. Deep.

Stream on Rolling Stone.

9MEXo.jpg

Cardinal | Hymns
RIYL: Matt Pond PA, Of Montreal, Belle & Sebastian

Their second album in 17 (!) years. Cardinal has finally gotten back together, and the results are apparently passable, but less revolutionary than they were back in the 90's.

S2X1p.jpg

Ingrid Michaelson | Human Again
RIYL: Jewel, Colbie Calliat, Natalie Cole, Ani DiFranco

Something about a coat and a sweater. Michaelson's fifth album.

UmIAQ.jpg

Gonjasufi | MU.ZZ.LE
RIYL: Flying Lotus with Captain Beefheart vox

The fourth album from this San Diego DJ/Rapper/Singer. He teaches yoga during the day?
Stream it here.

Qnjuk.jpg

Lacuna Coil | Dark Adrenaline
RIYL: Century Blade Metal, Evanesence

Italian female-fronted metal oufit Lacuna Coil is releasing its sixth studio full-length. There's a cover of REM's "Losing My Religion" on it. Reviews seem to skew toward "pass," but you can stream the album here to see if it's up your alley.

vAYGOl.gif

Volcanoes | Heavy Hands
RIYL: Noise Rock Duos (Japandroids)

Smalltime release from a small time Minneapolis band, Volcanoes. These guys are pretty good and this is their debut full length on Afternoon Records. Best of all, IT'S A FREE DOWNLOAD. No reason not to check it out.

Download here

Would help in deciding what to listen to if you described the music a bit, even a genre would be nice.

Going to be getting the chairlifts album at some point.

DGRE

Banned
Would help in deciding what to listen to if you described the music a bit, even a genre would be nice.

Going to be getting the chairlifts album at some point.

Yeah I guess I gave my personal opinion but not much more, so a RIYL tag on each would certainly be useful. I'm scared to put a genre on anything, because then the thread would just end up as a petty argument about semantics.

Thanks for the suggestion.

bluehat9

Thanks for all the streams. Probably wouldn't feel like looking for them myself, but now I'll give them all a listen.

Yeah I guess I gave my personal opinion but not much more, so a RIYL tag on each would certainly be useful. I'm scared to put a genre on anything, because then the thread would just end up as a petty argument about semantics.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah haha that's a good point.

Cool idea for a thread. The only two I bothered to listen to were Nada Surf and Cloud Nothings.

Cloud Nothings' newest is interesting. Very solid guitar album, and the band's songwriting has definitely matured. With that being said, I still didn't enjoy it as much as their previous releases.

Nada Surf is definitely music, so... There's that. It's very boring.

Nothing I'm too hot on this week. Next week will be a little bit more intriguing because Lana Del Rey will be out.

DGRE

Banned
Thanks for all the streams. Probably wouldn't feel like looking for them myself, but now I'll give them all a listen.

Yeah sometimes it's hard to track them down.

I really recommend John K. Samson's album to anyone that's into lyrics. His voice can be polarizing, but I find it endearing.

Smithy C

Cool idea for a thread! Listening to the Cloud Nothings stream now, it's pretty good. I'll probably buy the CD if I see it somewhere.

DGRE

Banned
There's a good chance one of these albums will be the daily deal on Amazon Mp3 Tuesday or Wednesday. The deals usually have the album at $2.99 or $3.99 so make sure to check Amazon Mp3 on those days.

I support yr thread. I'll be up in this piece with some opinions soon as I get some. Internet tells me I oughta hear the Cloud Nothings album; nothing else is calling to me this week at a cursory glance.

EDIT: Actually, I guess I'm interested in the Craig Finn thing AND the Gonjasufi thing, at least a little bit. Anyone know if they're supposed to be good?

DGRE

Banned
I support yr thread. I'll be up in this piece with some opinions soon as I get some. Internet tells me I oughta hear the Cloud Nothings album; nothing else is calling to me this week at a cursory glance.

EDIT: Actually, I guess I'm interested in the Craig Finn thing AND the Gonjasufi thing, at least a little bit. Anyone know if they're supposed to be good?

Just found a stream for Gonjasufi's new album. I'm adding it to the OP. Craig Finn's album is also available to stream. Check it out for yourself!

DGRE

Banned
Sorry for the bump. Would it help if I added the singles that the band's have been pushing from the albums? It might be easier to swallow than an entire streaming album...

daffy

Banned
First Aid Kit is just O.K. Too depressing for me. Lion's Roar and Emmylou are good tracks. Listen on the NPR thing before you buy!

DGRE

Banned
vAYGOl.gif

A noise rock duo from Minneapolis just released their debut album "Heavy Hands" FOR FREE this week on Afternoon Records. If you like Japandroids, then you would probably be into this.

Get your free copy here.

Did anyone pick anything good up this week?

Rhaegar

Have been streaming Cloud Nothings on Spotify and have to say I'm digging it quite a bit. Reminds me a little of early ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of the Dead, which is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom