• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NeoGaf TOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evlar

Banned
Maybe most people don't realize it because they don't think it through, but we are the performers... I presume most of the views on NeoGAF come from non-members due to our industry exposure, fairly frequent call-outs by the professional game media, and the gated access; they are here because of what we post, what we create. (Someone can correct me if NeoGAF's views are actually dominated by members.)

I mean, sure, I post here because I enjoy being a small part of the discussion, that's my compensation, but I have no illusion that this is a private forum.

Dresden

Miri said:
Yeah, this is a pretty big blow to the creative threads--writer/photography/etc... It's all done up here for free anyway, but the idea of GAF allowing itself, and partners, a royalty-free freedom with it is not cool at all.
Well, writing wise, anything you post on the forum is pretty much ruled out for actual publication since it loses first world electronic/print rights as it's considered to have been published here first. So it's not losing much.

I'm not seeing how this will have an impact on the creative threads. If you are protective of your work, you shouldn't be posting it on the internet anyway. Evilore is the least of your concerns.

I'm curious, though, is this fallout from the Jim Sterling debacle?

notsol337

marked forever
Over reactionary posts all over this bitch. EviLore is just trying to make sure that no one steals stuff off GAF. Sounds to me like he's just trying to keep it inside GAF as best he can. I don't see EviLore stealing work from users anywhere.

joelseph

Jobiensis said:
Lulz, like any of the posts or photos here are actually worth anything.

They are claiming rights to use your copyrighted works, they aren't claiming copyright on what you post.

Neogaf hiphop albums, production albums, videogame music collabs, actual videogames, alternate media slip covers, the list is endless. There is a ton of creative content created by gaf on gaf for gaf. Not saying the sky is falling but something to consider when reading that bs legal crap.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Guess what everyone who's ever posted in this thread?!

All your wives are belong to NeoGAF. Handle it.

FStop7

Banned
EviLore said:
I am against it, which is why it wasn't there before and I acted informally about it. But people are making a big fuss, so it's added to protect the site and clarify our position if it comes up in the future.

To clarify, it's a non-exclusive license, not a transfer of ownership or losing your own rights to what you post. So if you feel I'm a completely evil asshole who will use your posts for nefarious means, by all means go ahead and delete your posts and stop using your account and all. But nothing has really changed, because what is described in the ToS is how we've always operated in effect up to this point anyway.

This is perfectly reasonable.

And like I said - if you are truly concerned about maintaining control of one of your creative works, be it a photograph, a drawing/painting, or a story, then post a link to it off-site rather than embed it. Then everyone's happy. Not a big deal at all.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I've seen a ton of GAF stuff on Reddit lately too. I bet EvilLore made a top secret shady backroom deal with them too! AND GOOGLE ALSO!

Poyunch

notsol337 said:
Over reactionary posts all over this bitch. EviLore is just trying to make sure that no one steals stuff off GAF. Sounds to me like he's just trying to keep it inside GAF as best he can. I don't see EviLore stealing work from users anywhere.
Yeah but what if he dies and gets replaced by an asshole that uses our stuff? What then? WHAT THEN?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My legal skills professor would faint reading that 151 word sentence!

Recon

Banned
Has Evil Lore made any official statements regarding this yet? Curious to what his reasoning is to do this now.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
What I don't understand is if you don't like this then why did you agree to the Kotaku thing which enabled this to happen? Did you just not forsee the issue?

Or are you just against the adding of it to the TOS or do you feel it's a necessary evil? You're post says you are against it but that's the way it's essentially always been.

blame space said:
can we at least get a post history back so we can delete all of our posts
Oh yes, good excuse for getting post history back. ^_^

Toby said:
This can't apply to already created accounts, right?
It says when registering an account with neogaf and participating. The wording makes me think it only applies to accounts created going forward, as this clause wasn't present when I registered.
Thinking of going full lurker anyway.
You could probably argue it only applies to posts made after the change, but there's no way you could say it's only new accounts.

The_Technomancer said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this apply to pretty much all internet writing? Can you publish something you previously posted online?

Sure you can, though a lot of publishers will refuse work that's already been published online. That's generally a rights thing, though; putting it on neogaf or in a blog won't hurt your chances. Not to mention, you could always self-publish it.

ReconYoda said:
Has Evil Lore made any official statements regarding this yet? Curious to what his reasoning is to do this now.

Read the thread

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
ReconYoda said:
In the previous page actually.

Evilore said:
To clarify, it's a non-exclusive license, not a transfer of ownership or losing your own rights to what you post. So if you feel I'm a completely evil asshole who will use your posts for nefarious means, by all means go ahead and delete your posts and stop using your account and all. But nothing has really changed, because what is described in the ToS is how we've always operated in effect up to this point anyway.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
As I said in the gaming version of this thread, this is very common. Many/most forums of significant size has similar language.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sir Fragula said:
Why bother doing anything of worth here if it has a chance to benefit Kotaku?
I don't mind sharing my crappy posts with NeoGAF as an entity if that keeps the community safe from legal action, but using the TOS to republish them in other sites and specially shit blogs like Kotaku is outright inappropiate.

ReconYoda said:
EviLore said:
I am against it, which is why it wasn't there before and I acted informally about it. But people are making a big fuss, so it's added to protect the site and clarify our position if it comes up in the future.

iNvid02

blame space said:
can we at least get a post history back so we can delete all of our posts

haha yes

seriously though, i've put a lot of effort in the revelation's official thread and now this pops up

iavi

andycapps said:
Doesn't it really just mean that if you broadcast it here, then you're giving Neogaf the right to broadcast it since you're hitting the submit button?

Sounds like it. And honestly, at this point, I don't like the idea of not receiving compensation , were any of my creative stuff to get passed down the line (Like that's ever happening) but if it's up here for the world to see with no expectations of compensation, then the idea of it getting mirrored somewhere else doesn't exactly bother me too much. I'd see it as an extra bit of publicity, at this point.

Dresden said:
Well, writing wise, anything you post on the forum is pretty much ruled out for actual publication since it loses first world electronic/print rights as it's considered to have been published here first. So it's not losing much.

That's true.

kehs

Banned
This is not transferring of rights.

This is licensing so that the site can legally move the content around and redistribute it other people

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The funny part is that I've been to law school for a while and I still couldn't tell you what that sentence means.

The only thing I really want to know is whether I am already dead.

yencid

tumblr_ldp9kiYf761qbqhhuo1_500.png

totowhoa

Banned
Evil Lore just needs to lock the thread and make an official announcement with explanation, or hijack the OP. This thread is already doomed.

ArjanN

It's just a way to cover their ass legally, in the same way that if you sell a hammer nowadays you have to include instructions that say not to smash yourself in the face with it or someone might sue you.

And nothing you posted on neogaf has any real value anyway. Well, not until I publish that "My body is ready" photoshops coffeetable book anyway.

Jobiensis

joelseph said:
Neogaf hiphop albums, production albums, videogame music collabs, actual videogames, alternate media slip covers, the list is endless. There is a ton of creative content created by gaf on gaf for gaf. Not saying the sky is falling but something to consider when reading that bs legal crap.

If you wanted royalties on such stuff, you shouldn't be posting it on public boards.

Copernicus said:
This is not transferring of rights.

This is licensing so that the site can legally move the content around and redistribute it other people

Exactly, lots of chicken little in this thread.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Angry Grimace said:
The funny part is that I've been to law school for a while and I still couldn't tell you what that sentence means.

The only thing I really want to know is whether I am already dead.

That's because law school doesn't teach you a single thing about actually being a lawyer :p

syllogism

Here's youtube's relevant TOS clause, for comparison

For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your Content. However, by submitting Content to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the Content in connection with the Service and YouTube's (and its successors' and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Service (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Service a non-exclusive license to access your Content through the Service, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such Content as permitted through the functionality of the Service and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in video Content you submit to the Service terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your videos from the Service. You understand and agree, however, that YouTube may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of your videos that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in user comments you submit are perpetual and irrevocable.

El Sloth said:
Posting pictures of your wives on an internet video game forum was never a good idea in the first place.

Good thing it's a video game forum, they can say they were lying and they're actually fat lonely nerds instead. Hey-oh! (I had to get that out of my system)

teiresias

notsol337 said:

Seeing as how this TOS change seems solely designed to facilitate the agreement made with Kotaku to allow them to re-post anything posted on NeoGAF, the bolded seems as far from the actual reality as possible. It was actually put in place to facilitate the posting of NeoGAF material outside the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom