• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new nintendo 2ds xl comes out july 28 $149

Saladinoo

This would have been absolutely perfect for me and my one working eye, if I hadn't already bought a new 3ds only last christmas, so a lot more $$$ than this -_-

KingErich

Banned
With them doubling down on the DS handheld, I wonder if we could see them dumping the portability of the Switch in a few years. Which isn't needed IMO, especially since they aren't sun setting a directly competing portable product.

I would love a Switch that was just a normal console. I can poop and game on my phone or the REAL NEW SUPER 2DS XXXL.

TrisMcC

Neo Member
With them doubling down on the DS handheld, I wonder if we could see them dumping the portability of the Switch in a few years. Which isn't needed IMO, especially since they aren't sun setting a directly competing portable product.

I would love a Switch that was just a normal console. I can poop and game on my phone or the REAL NEW SUPER 2DS XXXL.

Sony is still making minor hardware revisions to the PS3. I don't understand why a new hardware revision for the 3DS line means that Nintendo may walk back the portability features of the Switch.

Kaizer

Banned
Well, looks like it's time to finally get a 3D- err......2DS now! This feels like the Game Boy Micro of the 3DS era, have to wonder if it'll be hard to find in a year or two.

ZOONAMI

Sony is still making minor hardware revisions to the PS3. I don't understand why a new hardware revision for the 3DS line means that Nintendo may walk back the portability features of the Switch.

Really? You can't even buy a PS3 in the US.

KingErich

Banned

They already have a fantastic portable product in the 3DS line. Why have a product like the Switch that does none of what it sets out to do well? 2 hours of battery life is abysmal for a portable gaming device these days. By adding a cost prohibitive screen to their home console, it bit into a chunk of money they could have used to up the power of their console. And those milking controllers? Really? A regular controller would have been fine.

Ya, I am not a fan of their current design choices. Maybe I am not their target market anymore. I grew up with Nintendo and loved the NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, SP, DS. At the Wii mark they seemed to not cater to their now grown up fans. It was a hit for sure for Grandma and her grand kids. They stumbled with the WiiU, grandma didn't want that nor did the grand kids or anyone else for that matter.

Now the Switch just looks like their ambitions got the better of them again. They ultimately can't decide what they want to accomplish. A poorly designed combo device demonstrates this, at least to me. They want so much to be very different from MS and Sony and end up in another world, leaving long time supports like me saying WTF?

All I want is to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, DK, Bond, and all the other games I enjoyed in my youth on my couch again with my friends. I'll take those same games with me on a dedicated mobile device with great battery life, true portability and durability like the New DS.

Good move on their part. The Switch as of now is an enthusiast's console; the higher cost and small line up of games aren't mainstream attractive, but will sell those who will advertise the game through word of mouth. The 3DS models are for those less willing to spend and more interested in getting a cheap system with a solid library of games.

In a year or so the Switch should have a new, cheaper model which attracts more of a mainstream audience. I think a $250 Switch is reasonable in a year or so.

A year is being too optimistic. With how well the console has been selling, there's no real incentive to put out an updated version. I can't recall any hardware from the big three that came out in a year. I see it happening in 2019 at the earliest.

I have a few questions:

1.Is this the same size as a 3DS XL?
2.Are 3DS region free? If I bought that DQ version can a US account work on it? Can I DL US games?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I have a few questions:

1.Is this the same size as a 3DS XL?
2.Are 3DS region free? If I bought that DQ version can a US account work on it? Can I DL US games?

1. Screens are same but the actual thing is smaller
2. No, this would be a first if this one is.

original_nintendo_ds_repair_service_ends_april_2016.jpg

i don't see it.

What a fantastic system.

SeanR1221

I'd like to see what it actually looks like next to a N3DSXL. It looks really cool but I feel like it's actually not that different at all

Jacce

Banned
They already have a fantastic portable product in the 3DS line. Why have a product like the Switch that does none of what it sets out to do well? 2 hours of battery life is abysmal for a portable gaming device these days. By adding a cost prohibitive screen to their home console, it bit into a chunk of money they could have used to up the power of their console. And those milking controllers? Really? A regular controller would have been fine.

So you want Nintendo to take away everything about the Switch that is making it a giant success so far? The reason Switch is flying off shelves and people are eagerly buying games like Mario Kart 8 again is BECAUSE its a portable console. The hybrid nature is why it is flying off shelves.

So you want switch to no longer be a hybrid and no longer have the motion controls. You want Switch to just be another WiiU without even the off screen play. Basically you are asking Nintendo to release something no one wants.

Damn it Nintendo, I need all of these games to go to the Switch..

Put the 3DS to pasture already >={

yes yes and yes

this guy gets it

switch is flying off shelves and they are still pushing this walled garden dinosaur for 50percent over premium for the hardware

get fucked

3D is already dead in the mainstream. It just never caught on. The new 2DS XL just further proves that.
Yep. I think 3D gimmick has been more of negative than a positive for the 3DS. Probably should have never had 3D to begin with, and just been called something like the Super DS, or something like that.

I like it. The clamshell design really was the best way to go.

If the NA was also getting that white/orange color way, I'd pick one up though the teal/black is fine as well.

BooJoh

I was going to say something about how ridiculous this sounds but this person said it perfectly.
So you want Nintendo to take away everything about the Switch that is making it a giant success so far? The reason Switch is flying off shelves and people are eagerly buying games like Mario Kart 8 again is BECAUSE its a portable console. The hybrid nature is why it is flying off shelves.

So you want switch to no longer be a hybrid and no longer have the motion controls. You want Switch to just be another WiiU without even the off screen play. Basically you are asking Nintendo to release something no one wants.

I wonder WHEN are they going to upgrade the screens resolution, so many revisions and still 400x240 :(
As long as it's playing the same games, never. The hardware can't just upscale the games. I mean, technically it could, but people have to mess with a lot of stuff to get those upressed emulated games looking decent. Even Pokemon has to have outlines disabled to not look like total garbage in high res because of glitches.

They did, however, just release a handheld with a 720p screen if that's what you're into.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
This is what I always wanted the 3DS to be: an even sleeker design than the DS, no 3D, no bullshit, just a great piece of hardware... Well, provided the screens aren't crap.

But it's too late. I never bought a 3DS, bought a Switch at launch, so I'm done with that gen. Might buy one years from now if I want to play 3DS and DS games for cheap.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I want one, I've missed out on the past 2-3 years of 3DS content, but I simply don't have the time / money to add another platform to my life right now. I'm pretty much Switch / Blizzard games only for the foreseeable future.

Ya, I am not a fan of their current design choices. Maybe I am not their target market anymore. I grew up with Nintendo and loved the NES, SNES, N64, GC, GBA, SP, DS. At the Wii mark they seemed to not cater to their now grown up fans. It was a hit for sure for Grandma and her grand kids. They stumbled with the WiiU, grandma didn't want that nor did the grand kids or anyone else for that matter.

Now the Switch just looks like their ambitions got the better of them again. They ultimately can't decide what they want to accomplish. A poorly designed combo device demonstrates this, at least to me. They want so much to be very different from MS and Sony and end up in another world, leaving long time supports like me saying WTF?

All I want is to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, DK, Bond, and all the other games I enjoyed in my youth on my couch again with my friends. I'll take those same games with me on a dedicated mobile device with great battery life, true portability and durability like the New DS.

I clocked 3 hours and 4-ish minutes playing Zelda in portable mode last week (not at max brightness, but max brightness isn't at all necessary indoors).

I do agree there are courses of action Nintendo could have taken to have Switch release with more graphical horsepower.

oti

Banned
At $99 it'd make sense. Why would you buy this instead of the *new* 3DS XL...

For how long do you believe any 3DS will remain on store shelves?

And why cut into the 2DS share with a $99 price for a much more premium device that is the N2DS XL? That doesn't make any sense.

I agree that a Switch home only console would be a TERRIBLE idea, but I think there's argument for the opposite: portable bundle. Switch tablet only bundle, or the rumored Switch Mini, with a option to buy the dock separately. Especially the Switch Mini. If they shrink it down, and revise the hardware, they could bring down the cost, and appeal more to the 2DS/3DS market that wants something cheaper, and more portable.

Have they confirmed that this is meant to stand alongside the "new" 3DS XL models? I haven't seen any of those on store shelves for a bit now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And now we know why there were 3DS hardware shortages. I bet this is their default version of the hardware for the remainder of its life cycle.

Amon37

My daughter has been bugging me for a 3ds but the price point was no, at 50 dollars less I may bite on this for her though.

It will play every 3ds game correct?

Shikoba

Super random lol.

I actually kind of like it. I was wanting an XL to go with my regular face plate ones so I might get this at some point.

Rodolink

Nintendo is still testing the waters in the market with this release, they'll affirm
or not
if they continue with this or focus absolutely on the Switch, and is a win win, since if it doesnt work, theyve still managed to suck the last drops of blood from the DS legacy. But I think this is gonna be the "DSi" of the 3DS family.

Doesn't bringing the clamshell design back kind of negate the whole point of the 2DS' design? It was a single piece so it'd be harder for kids to break.

Other than that, it's a solid concept. It's literally half the price of a Switch, and is thus a more attractive budget option.

Top Bottom