• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS & New Nintendo 3DS XL Launch Thread

Rocky

Banned
The transfer process was a mess for me. Turns out I only have an SD card USB reader and not a writer, and my old MacBook Air doesn't have an SD card reader. So I ran around my place for about half an hour trying to find something. I ended up using my TASCAM DR-40 to write to my microSD card. Moral of the story is don't buy SD card readers if they don't write. :(

Can't wait to try Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter in the morning!

Wow, I've never heard of a reader that won't write. Are you sure there's no write protect switch or something on the reader?

DrKelpo

Banned
Yes you can. It runs the same games as the OG 3DS.

thanks, guys.

for the last few weeks i have been thinking about buying a n3ds. i had a og 3ds at launch, but because i used it barely, i sold it and bought a vita instead, which i played endlessly.
there are some games i really want to try, but it seems like a big investment for a "try out".
i fear that i will again become bored by it and have to sell it :(
help me decide, gaf.

thanks, guys.

for the last few weeks i have been thinking about buying a n3ds. i had a og 3ds at launch, but because i used it barely, i sold it and bought a vita instead, which i played endlessly.
there are some games i really want to try, but it seems like a big investment for a "try out".
help me decide, gaf.

It has a great library of games. It just depends on whether those games are ones you want to play.

Prototype

thanks, guys.

help me decide, gaf.
Have you seen Ironfall?

Condom

I was afraid I was close to destroying my backplate when putting in a new SD card, what the fuck Nintendo.

The device itself is as expected, screen could be better though.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
The auto brightness is pretty terrible on the N3DS. I thought my screen was broken when i turned it on because even with the 3D off, it still had a weird effect , until i found out the auto brightness was on by default.

Springy

Not impressed with the build quality of my white new 3DS. The shell surrounding the lower screen hasn't been glued firmly and has a little give to it when pressed, the C stick has a nick in the rubber and the hole for the mic is roughly drilled causing fracture points either side of it. Side by side with my XL it's a clear step down.

Not sure if it's enough for a store to accept as faulty, but it's certainly worrying.

Gothos

Not impressed with the build quality of my white new 3DS. The shell surrounding the lower screen hasn't been glued firmly and has a little give to it when pressed, the C stick has a nick in the rubber and the hole for the mic is roughly drilled causing fracture points either side of it. Side by side with my XL it's a clear step down.

Not sure if it's enough for a store to accept as faulty, but it's certainly worrying.

I would return it in a hearbeat and asked for new one or just return of the money :)

kubus

That doesn't sound right. I'd go back.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
wooden faceplates from GAME arrived. Now impatiently awaiting the 3ds, dock and MM from amazon.

Was someone going to make a cover plate/accessory thread? There are a few that aren't available in the UK that I'd like - glow in the dark Boo and the Toad ones for instance.

Spades

fPCs2J9.jpg

Here we go!

alexein

I'm considering it. But I just conducted a system transfer, does the 7 day limit apply to a third system or just for going back and forth between two?

Its the same for me, when i wanted to put my micro sd after the transfer, the card wont stay in, and the 3ds dont read it.

kubus

wooden faceplates from GAME arrived. Now impatiently awaiting the 3ds, dock and MM from amazon.

Was someone going to make a cover plate/accessory thread? There are a few that aren't available in the UK that I'd like - glow in the dark Boo and the Toad ones for instance.
TheSlySoul is doing that thread. For now you can use the Cover Plate Import Spreadsheet but I'm afraid the Boo plate is really rare and is likely sold out everywhere except scalpers paradise...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TheSlySoul is doing that thread. For now you can use the Cover Plate Import Spreadsheet but I'm afraid the Boo plate is really rare and is likely sold out everywhere except scalpers paradise...

Although I got my wooden plate for the same price as the regular plates due to a GAME mis-price, I'm not paying over the odds for scalpers. Will wait a little while for the Boo plate - even expensive on amazon.jp.

leng jai

I mentioned this in the AU launch thread but no one seemed to care. The finish of the console is pretty rough, the seams where the plates are glued together are rough as hell.

SuperPac

Attempted the Best Buy in-store pickup thing - it timed me out for some reason, but still ran the charge on my card and no purchase to show for it. Just gonna try my luck at the store, not doing that crap again.

Just discovered the Zelda cover plates on amazonDE http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00TGW541I/ & http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00TGW53WS/
I don't know if amazon listed them or some reseller(either way you can't pre-order them yet) but if it's true both will be released on 27th February. Another interesting thing is that they have a different number 23 & 24 unlike Japan.
That is odd. Even of you take the numbering in EU, only 12 have been launched.
This is very interesting!

Saiyan-Rox

So this morning my tracking number for my DS from royal fail updated to being delivered yesterday :/ and yet nothing here >< rang RM and now they're checking the delivery vans GPS but as it stands my machine is MIA :/ dunno what to do since it shows delivered GAME will most likely be bitchy as hell about it

prateeko

Attempted the Best Buy in-store pickup thing - it timed me out for some reason, but still ran the charge on my card and no purchase to show for it. Just gonna try my luck at the store, not doing that crap again.
Worked perfectly for me. Ordered one for my best friend (as a gift) from across the country. I'm considering doing it for myself and just returning the shipped one so I can play it this weekend...

Tall Paul

Every time I convince myself to go and grab a white 3ds I talk myself out if it. Just not sure there's enough games on it I would like to warrant purchase. Zelda's Yes, mario 3d world, son already has 2ds with smash and mario Kart. Maybe if SNES eshop happened I may flip.

Brick

Just ordered one from the Best Buy website to be "Picked up in store today." Given peoples experience with BB over the Majora's Mask bundle, should I be worried?

LAA

Well, anyone find they're a little disappointed Majoras Mask 3D performance? Maybe I'm being too harsh as I think OOT3D had the same issue, but whenever you break a lot of pots and ruppees come out or just when there's lot of objects on screen, the game slows down. I just wonder whether majoras mask 3D is using any of the New 3DS power. Just sorta sad to have a console promising more power and one of the games to supposedly use new 3DS features still lags. Still loving the game so far, just disappointed.

Also, Ironfall... my word. Just tried the demo now, such an obvious Gears of war clone, and so generic/cheap looking. Can't believe they're charing £16 for the full package. I don't even know what's going for it, other than its a shooter and they're rare on 3DS. Graphics aren't a mark on RE:R's graphics which I thought being made using the same engine was going to be selling point.

Just got my XL. Circle pad is kinda iffy; moving it left to right feels a little rough, there's just some weird resistance at times... Is this something that goes away with a little wear or should I start looking into replacing it?

kubus

Just got my XL. Circle pad is kinda iffy; moving it left to right feels a little rough, there's just some weird resistance at times... Is this something that goes away with a little wear or should I start looking into replacing it?
Mine does this too... Also curious about this.

Padinn

I just grabbed a new 3ds black from Bestbuy using the coupon they sent me for failing with my majora's mask preorder. I had a few other discounts so it came to $145 with tax. Going to try and sell my 3ds xl mario and luigi dream team edition.

DagsJT

My 3DS that I ordered from Amazon.fr to be delivered to the UK today is currently stuck in Leipzig, Germany. Quite why it's gone passed the UK to get to Germany, I don't know.

Tidd

Just discovered the Zelda cover plates on amazonDE http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00TGW541I/ & http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00TGW53WS/
I don't know if amazon listed them or some reseller(either way you can't pre-order them yet) but if it's true both will be released on 27th February. Another interesting thing is that they have a different number 23 & 24 unlike Japan.

They are avaible for pre-order but I can't complete the order =/

Edit: NOW IT WORKS!!!

Saiyan-Rox

I need that trifoce cover plate I NEED it!

Ordering from DE even though I'm in the UK is fine right? Might swell order now in case they don't appear here or sell out.

Top Bottom