• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct upcoming Live on September 1st at 16:00 CEST for 3DS

Gruco

Banned
You said "3DS is on life support" given this slate of games. The same slate of games that will likely also go to NX... are you saying then that the NX will be "on life support" if it gets these same games?

Are you making the assumption that the NX lineup will be exclusively made up of 3DS ports announced in a September direct or something? Without that assumption that's a pretty bizarre comparison.

But yes, if the NX announcement includes this exact suite of games and nothing else I would make the same comment, but still not sure why we're entertaining this thought experiment.

That was another disappointing showing for Nintendo.

I was SO hyped yesterday and this morning only to be severely let down.
It was one of those heart racing / trouble breathing kind of excitements.

I don't even know what I wanted or expected but I'd know if I saw it.
It certainly wasn't this though. The 3DS is dead.

Tanwo

Damn, they are going to port every Wii U exclusive to 3DS. No mercy for Wii U.
Mario Sports could have been nice on Wii U with local multiplayer.
As a Pikmin fan, I guess it’s good to see more games of the series, but I don’t know about this one… I’ll have to see more of it. Anyway, still hoping for Pikmin 4 on NX.

I've never seen so many thread titles with exclamation marks at the end of them for news that is totally not a big deal until today.

disappointment.png

Don't understand this at all. There were new games. That's already better than a 3DS-focused direct had any right to be. If you were let down then you must have expected new significant games which is honestly pretty stupid to expect for a 5.5 year old console which will probably be replaced in 6 months. If you didn't want a direct about DLC, updates on already announced games and a few port/side-game announcements then this direct should have been ignored. This was completely predictable.

Ogodei

So what's the verdict on what this means for NX? 3DS titles announced for Spring 2017, but that means little given how GBA and DS were supported (hell, Pokemon Black and White were earlier in the same month as 3DS).

MicH

More filler games from Nintendo. Not really surprising. Ports and repurposing IPs for other genres.

Just give us NX news already. This is not Direct worthy

marmoka

Banned
I couldn't Watch it. I was hoping for the announcement of the NX official Reveal Date, just a date, and nothing.

Either nothing about the release date of SMTIVA in Europe? I will import it from USA and play it with Homebrew, with the Region-Free hack.

I didn't expect much, and I'm disappointed. I saw the Dewei gif some pages below, and I'm lazy to copy it here, haha.

Retrobox

Damn, there was not a single unexpected thing that made me go apeshit. Which I honestly thought would happen.

Oh well, still alright all things considered. A little confusing at the end though because I thought we still had 10 minutes left.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Mario Sports game just copy/pasting Mario Tennis/Golf for the 3DS? Either I wasn't really paying attention or that wasn't well communicated.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I don't know if you can call the Wii U games ports per se. The 3DS is pretty ancient in design and isn't exactly compatible with modern middleware or much of anything. I imagine most stuff had to be built from scratch in Yoshi and a fair bit besides assets in Mario Maker.

Not interested as I didn't even pick those two up in HD on Wii U, that's where I'd go first if Mario Maker is ever a Select.

I'm starting to believe NX release will be delayed a bit next year..

NX = holiday 2017, call it. Console sucks in Japan anyway so why rushing it out? All Nintendo needs to do is stretching 3DS a little thin into the end of 2017. The recent rumor said Nintendo is planning to support 3DS all the way to 2018, isn't it?

Oddish1

Decent direct. Admittedly I mostly tuned in for more on Ever Oasis which I got so my criteria was met. Of the new announcements nothing really exciting for me, but I think the tank game and Pikmin 3ds could be interesting. I at least like the character designs for the tank game.

This was a disappointment. I expected nothing and was still letdown.

I'm really concerned about NX now, since they haven't learned a damn thing about marketing and hype building.

Zoon

I'll definately buy Pokemon, but from today's direct I might get Ever Oasis as well. It doesn't look as bad as I thought.

And finally a good Link amiibo.

Kurt

It was a nice Direct. Much more than expected.

However there are still games which i prefer a lot more.
For instance a 2d metroid would sell more than many of those games, also it's much cheaper to develop.

Besides that, i still hope a super mario 3d land version of super mario bros 2 setup.
But i know that this would never come.

But i'm far from disappointed.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Is the Mario Sports game just copy/pasting Mario Tennis/Golf for the 3DS? Either I wasn't really paying attention or that wasn't well communicated.

I think the base games are carried, yes, but without all the content. The other sports seem to be from scratch though. Camelot can do a good job at the sports collection I think. Potential hidden gem of this Direct.

Scrawnton

I can see Nintendo still releasing NX in March, but I can see it being so expensive that Nintendo still provides games for 3DS for people who are not upgrading.

It's crazy how much support 3DS is getting considering NX will be (supposedly) replacing it.

I'll definately buy Pokemon, but from today's direct I might get Ever Oasis as well. It doesn't look as bad as I thought.

And finally a good Link amiibo.

I'm definitely intrigued by Ever Oasis. Feeling positive about it, but cautious optimism when it comes to these things has been more rewarding than pre-ordering and getting a day-one "meh".

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
It was a nice Direct. Much more than expected.

However there are still games which i prefer a lot more.
For instance a 2d metroid would sell more than many of those games, also it's much cheaper to develop.

Besides that, i still hope a super mario 3d land version of super mario bros 2 setup.
But i know that this would never come.

But i'm far from disappointed.

I don't think a 2D Metroid would outsell anything Nintendo showed in the stream, tbqh.

Regiruler

What was that weird train rts they showed on the japanese direct?
I don't think a 2D Metroid would outsell anything Nintendo showed in the stream, tbqh.

I prefer prime style but lets not be hyperbolic, there was quite a few titles they clearly didn't expect much out of, and mainline metroid's baseline is at least 100k IIRC.

I didn't have much hype going into this even still... Not a lot to like here. DQ8 confirmed delay for next year (kept saying it was this year until now), barely any new Pokemon S/M info (really dark rattata is what you decide to show off?), Mario Maker 3DS was cool but no online sharing is a major fail in every aspect and it should have been announced at E3 if it was coming this year and between that and Yoshi on 3DS it really feels like they are just porting over Wii U games at this point.

Also on that note, during the Mario sports trailer did anyone else see the Tennis game looking almost exactly like the full 60$ Mario Tennis game they released on Wii U last year (obviously with reduced graphics)? I didn't play it but it looked exactly like that game from waht I remember seeing from trailers.

I'm still not feeling Ever Oasis, really getting tired of this chibi artstyle that so many games are using on 3DS now, they all just look so similar, and the gameplay doesn't look that interesting.

I can't believe after how badly Sonic Boom bombed last year they would actually show off this new one on 3DS, not to mention did that guy actually talk about speed running strats for it? The hell?

Then you have the Zelda stuff which was largely... just non announcements, the Amiibos are fine I guess but when they were talking about the past Zelda games I was thinking they were doing like a 2D zelda collection on eshop or something but nope, just advertising that NES console that will be sold out because Nintendo won't make anywhere near enough. Skyward Sword actually made me think we might be selling a remake for a second but nope, just a Wii U DL release (which I should have seen coming since we've known about this for a long time).

This was a fairly long direct and while its nice to see some older games and features getting updates all the major announcements were either ports (Mario Maker, Yoshi) or games we didn't really want (a 2d pikmin, another mario sports game). Right before they ended with Pikmin and most of this just being relatively disappointing I kept thinking to myself 'They've gotta have some kind of megaton right? They hyped up the 2017 games from the beginning!' But nope, Pikmin yet another 2D side scroller which will likely be good but I've had enough of those lately and it doesn't really look all that interesting. Hell even a Proper Pikmin 4 for Wii U or 3DS wouldn't have been the greatest to end on (really a niche series as far as Nintendo is concerned).

I mean they at least could have ended on some kind of pre-announcement about when they'll be talking about NX so there would be more positive things to say but most of this was just... meh.

IT really feels like e3 last year when it was clear most of the teams were off Wii U projects for the most part, feels that way now for 3DS, everyone seems to be working on NX stuff and they won't say anything about the fucking thing yet.

Scrawnton

Hypothetical:

If the NX bombs, is Nintendo going to port Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild to 3DS?

If NX bombs they're going to make the next 3DS system. From what NX seems to be, it's not carrying on the philosophy of DS and 3DS, I wish that it was though.

This was a disappointment. I expected nothing and was still letdown.

I'm really concerned about NX now, since they haven't learned a damn thing about marketing and hype building.
Given what has been anounced and released for 3DS this year, what were you expecting from this direct? They anounced almost as many games for 3DS as they are releasing this year. Pikmin sidescroller is the only surprise and I enjoyed it. Everything else is expected.

Shikoba

I enjoyed it. Wasn't expecting much from it though.

Damn I'm excited for Dragon Quest VII (and VIII!), SMTIV:A, and Yo-Kai Watch 2 this month!

Does anyone know if we can get the 3DS Dragon Quest VII theme without preordering digitally? I get my 3DS games physical, but want that theme!

Top Bottom