• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Obsidian countdown teaser [Update 2: Kickstarter? One more day!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you have a point. "Less interested" isn't really the right wording. More along the lines of: I sure as hell am not putting any money down until the game is released and I know what I'm going to get. A company can only blame the publisher so much for poor games and buggy releases. It will be interesting to see who they blame if their kickstarter turns to shit. I'm guessing the backers.

Seems likely.

Llyranor

I will kickstart the crap out of you, Sawyer.

I guess if Avellone ever gets a Kickstarter project, it'll come later on (when he's done with Wasteland 2).

Personally, I'd be up for Obsidian focusing solely on Kickstarter. Not sure it'd be completely viable, but it should work for smaller teams. They've been burned enough by publishers.

Make it turn-based, Sawyer!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
They sure have a history of saying that their games were incomplete and unpolished because of lack of time and/or ressources though, no?

They dont comment on that. Their fans do. And with some games its a legitimate complaint. Also the publishers are the ones usually responsible for QA.

Lancehead

They sure have a history of saying that their games were incomplete and unpolished because of lack of time and/or ressources though, no?

Because that's a fact. Blaming implies shirking away from taking responsibility. They never did that.

To be fair, he said "if". His approach to Kickstarters in general is valid and healthy imo. Not every can be an Obsidian fanboy. If there were no more Fallout 3 vs Fallout: New Vegas threads, what would we have left to do?

Yes and I'm responding to that if case. And I don't see how your question at the end is relevant.

Vamphuntr

Probably because it's true~

I'm not really denying that :p. My point was that time and ressources are granted by the publisher in the first place. DS3 is probably the only one where they didn't blame their publisher or the lack of ressources. I'm not saying their games are bad, far from that and I really love New Vegas and NWN2 but they sure have a habit of doing this.

Lancehead

I'm not really denying that :p. My point was that time and ressources are granted by the publisher in the first place. DS3 is probably the only one where they didn't blame their publisher or the lack of ressources. I'm not saying their games are bad, far from that and I really love New Vegas and NWN2 but they sure have a habit of doing this.

What are they supposed to do when the press and gamers love to continually slam them for the deficiencies in their games that are not the fault of their own? State the facts or what?

Fredescu

Yes and I'm responding to that if case.
The portion you bolded makes it sound you were asking him where he'd get the notion that something would be blamed if it went to crap. Which is strange. I'm sure they would blame something, probably not publicly.

And I don't see how your question at the end is relevant.
Just saying that if everyone was an Obsidian fanboy, there'd be no more F3 vs FNV threads, which would make me sad. It is relevant because anyone who says "I will wait and see how the game turns out before paying for it" clearly isn't an Obsidian fanboy.

xenist

Bleh. What does this mean? WRPGs that give any amount of choice/openness to the player are gonna be buggy. Its the nature of the genre.

Hey, don't you know Obsidian games are buggy pieces of shit?

It's not like greater complexity introduces a potential for bugs that's an order of magnitude greater than in "follow the arrow and press A to look at inetresting thing."

Llyranor

This is the janitor idea I had, btw http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35031589&postcount=272

Please please please please make a janitor RPG. It would be a dream come true. Think about it. You could start off with just a standard mop, and as you defeat rats/villains, you'd level up and get access to newer fancier mops. This is just brainstorming, but here are a few quick examples: a two-headed mop, which grants the player the ability to mop twice as much in the same timespan; or an automatic mop, which would drain less stamina per mopping area; a laser-guided mop, which would increase your to-hit ratio; or water and soap, which would allow the mop to remove dirt from the floors, etc. There are so many possibilities, this thing could basically write itself.

The setting would allow for a vast number of possible locales; schools, fast food chains, Iraq, etc. You could also have underwater sequences where the player needs to mop areas under the sea. You'd be trying to mop the sea floor, while fighting off sharks and crabs and stuff and also having to swim back up for air (maybe a diving suit as DLC) - it'd create a great sense of urgency. Maybe in the final level, you could be on a spaceship and some of the other astronauts find some dirt on some of the controls and can't navigate properly, so you have to quickly dust it off before the shuttles crashes into the sun. Meanwhile, you'd have alien space pirates boarding and trying to keep you from doing your job.It'd be party-based, of course. You'd recruit characters throughout your journey. A student in detention, a disgrunted fast-food employee, a talking dolphin, etc.

You'd have different classes; mark 1 janitor, mark 2 janitor, mark 3 janitor, dolphin, astrophysicist. So, they'd all have different abilities like mop, critical hit: mop, make cute dolphin noises to distract enemies. So in the space shuttle defense, you could have the janitor mopping off the dirt off the controls, while the dolphin was distracting the pirates and the astrophysicist was backstabbing them with large physics books, and the marine would be blasting them with shotguns. The game would have destructible environments, so s/he'd be shooting off parts of the shuttle too. The janitor would then have to mop all the broken pieces back together so that the spaceship doesn't fall apart.

This is the perfect setting. RPG players love to grind. This is the perfect opportunity for them to grind. What's more tedious than mopping floors? NOTHING. This is the perfect grind.

Oh, also add in motion controls for the mopping.

Lancehead

The portion you bolded makes it sound you were asking him where he'd get the notion that something would be blamed if it went to crap. Which is strange. I'm sure they would blame something, probably not publicly.

Why do you think they'll resort to blaming? Did they blame anyone for Alpha Protocol? Avellone readily acknowledges the shortcomings. I expect they'd do some sort of post-mortem however the game turns out.

Just saying that if everyone was an Obsidian fanboy, there'd be no more F3 vs FNV threads, which would make me sad. It is relevant because anyone who says "I will wait and see how the game turns out before paying for it" clearly isn't an Obsidian fanboy.

Well yeah, but I wasn't even disputing his opinion that Obsidian games are poor (because, well, opinion) or his stance to wait and see.

Vamphuntr

What are they supposed to do when the press and gamers love to continually slam them for the deficiencies in their games that are not the fault of their own? State the facts or what?

Trying to make sure they are not caught with the same issues with their next game would be a good start?I think they pulled it off fairly well with DS3 and everyone were really surprised by how polished it was compared to their past releases.

It sure gets harder and harder to defend that position multiple times and that is probably why someone brought it up in the thread. I'm not saying they were in the wrong nor do I know the details of each project they've worked on but you have to wonder why they've let the same thing happen so many time.

They've reversed that tendency with DS3 and hopefully they can keep it up with South Park and this new project.

Mindlog

Oh gee, an Obsidian Kickstarter. Let me think about that one for a second.
OyTR2.jpg

Lancehead

IF, man, IF! Now go iron your panties.

Yeah, I know it's IF. My question was for the IF.

It sure gets harder and harder to defend that position multiple times and that is probably why someone brought it up in the thread. I'm not saying they were in the wrong nor do I know the details of each project they've worked on but you have to wonder why they've let the same thing happen so many time.

Like I said on other occasions, it's mostly to do with lack of IP ownership and lack of an in-house engine.

Yep, I expect they will figure out what was to blame.

Yes, and that's different from figuring out who to blame, which was what I originally responded to.

Lothars

Trying to make sure they are not caught with the same issues with their next game would be a good start?I think they pulled it off fairly well with DS3 and everyone were really surprised by how polished it was compared to their past releases.

They've reversed that tendency with DS3 and hopefully they can keep it up with South Park and this new project.
I don't think DS3 was a good game though but hopefully the next games they release will be better, I just don't have a ton of faith in Obsidian kickstarter or no kickstarter.

inky

If it is indeed a kickstarter, hopefully they have alternate ways of supporting the new project. I closed my account over there, but want to get behind Obsidian's stuff any way I can. If not, it will be up to y'all to make it happen for me =)

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm undecided if I want this to be a Kickstarter or not. Lack of publisher restraints is pure gold but I also want them to have a big budget :/

DocSeuss

I kind of hope it's a Kickstarter, because a lot of Kickstarters have come and gone, and I just haven't had any money to support the few that have gotten me really excited. But... I'm finally in a position to support one, and it'd be great if I could support Obsidian.

That's how I read it, too.
It sounds pretty much "Let's take this excuse to talk about something that is totally unrelated to our secret announce".

But it sounds like the ideas--that idea that fantasy takes some things too seriously and other things not seriously enough--may very well be a big element of this. I think he used excitement for The Black Hound to express the philosophy behind this thing.

I hope it's not a Kickstarter, if only because I'll feel compelled to contribute even though I think they're dangerous to the industry.

dude

dude

That's a fantastic post. As I said before, people should just stop obssessing over something like setting. It's probably fantasy, but that doesn't mean anything really. People forget that fantasy is pretty much a ticket to anything you goddamn want, when you establish you've got magic, you can just do whatever crazy thing you want to do. In capable hands, even the most generic fantasy (like Forgotten Realms) can be a rich and interesting world.
Other, more unconventional, settings are obviously fine, but usually they fall into the trap of setting wank, taking the setting too seriously and it all ends up feeling shallow. I'd actually be content with it just being a unique take on fantasy, rather than a shallow world made of stuff the internet thinks are cool like steam-punk or another post apocalliptic setting.

Perkel

Banned
OH MY GOD

As i said earlier Obsidian right now a studio with most powerful nostalgia syndrome for RPG fans out there.
If Wasteland 2 made almost 3 mln with Obsidian heritage they could reach new record.

I will be in 7 heaven if they release this kickstarter made bazilions of money and establish Obsidian with quality RPG for the future.

Lime

I also hope that Obsidian has improved upon their art style or hired better concept artists for this particular game. Their art direction in their current-gen games have been pretty subpar and bland, e.g. Dungeon Siege 3, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas. Especially Alpha Protocol is a pretty big eye-sore to look at.

duckroll

I also hope that Obsidian has improved upon their art style or hired better concept artists for this particular game. Their art direction in their current-gen games have been pretty subpar and bland, e.g. Dungeon Siege 3, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas. Especially Alpha Protocol is a pretty big eye-sore to look at.

I think their environmental art and background modeling is pretty good. Lots of pretty and unique areas in all their games. The characters are where things tend to go wrong because their animators and character modelers seem to not be up to the task of making convincing and attractive looking people in a full 3D game.

Maybe it'll be better if they just scaled it back and used a top down camera, and the 2D character portraits for art.

Durante

I hope it's not a Kickstarter, if only because I'll feel compelled to contribute even though I think they're dangerous to the industry.
Some people repeatedly claim this, and I've never even heard a halfway decent argument as to why it would be the case. Can you provide one?

I thought DS3 was quite pretty. Including the environment art, characters and effects.

Perkel

Banned

tumblr_ma0vt1hpWs1rotbf4o1_400.gif

Which is more important ? Developers which can sustain themselfs making games or publishers holding IPs and changing developers how they want (meaning sometimes destruction of whole teams like RARE, Looking Glass, Psygnosis recently).

If there would be kickstarter few years back we could be playing expansion to Arcanum 2 and probably this year there would be Bloodlines 2.

Publishers are funding and promoting games nothing more. Devs create them.

This mean also game can be created how developers want not how publisher want it. Also it means that game can be released in better shape than standard version because there is no strict release date.

Most of problems with games (bugs, errors, glitches) comes from lack of time and publisher nature.

For example Fallout New Vegas was rushed by publisher so Obsidian could't squash all bugs. Obsidian got fallout and publisher got away.

Arcanum had same problems. Real time combat was added lare in dev cycle because publisher wanted it. They didn't have time to balance game more and squash bugs because they needed to create new gameplay system (which was broken btw).

When publishers were directed by devs and gamers themselfs we had ton of new Ips but there was big change in industry. There are mainly people who don't play games at all and they want focus test games for everything.

I'm not angry about anything,

I just worry that the gold rush mentality surrounding Kickstarter, the literal investment of "fans" in games no one has ever played and the manipulations of the site by importers who are literally using it to flip preexisting products at a huge mark up will eventually lead to some epic, studio-destroying, backer-chilling scandals and melt downs.

And generally, as a rule, I don't like to spend money on things I won't get for 18 months of an unverifiable quality.

zkylon

zkylewd
I never found Obs' games to be really interesting in the visuals department (they did some pretty cool things with New Vegas and its DLC tho), they're usually just competent, or at least they don't look worse than the games they succeed. I always thought Alpha Protocol looks quite alright, though, full of color and with cool character designs and some locations were pretty alright (others were shit though). Sure, the animations are clunky, but so are Dragon Age's and Mass Effect's, though admittedly less so.

I just worry that the gold rush mentality surrounding Kickstarter, the literal investment of "fans" in games no one has ever played and the manipulations of the site by importers who are literally using it to flip preexisting products at a huge mark up will eventually lead to some epic, studio-destroying, backer-chilling scandals and melt downs.

And generally, as a rule, I don't like to spend money on things I won't get for 18 months of an unverifiable quality.
How is it any different from any other preorder? FTL is, I think, the first of the games batch to be released, but Kickstarter has worked for a huge number of other equally abimitious things (the Nuka Cola series, for instance).

A lot of devs are playing the indie card to get money off Kickstarter, yeah, but there's no sign whatsoever that this will end up in disaster.

duckroll

Sounds like a bunch of hot air and chicken little shit to me. Anyone who has done proper research on Kickstarter will know that it's a load of rubbish. There are bad eggs in any given system, and everything in life has "risk" involved.

As far as not spending money ahead of getting a product, that's totally fair. No one is forced to support something they don't believe in. People can still buy these products when they are eventually released.

Drazgul

That's fine, but others clearly do. I also think it's likely we'll see some Kickstarters 'fail' in the sense of end product vs. fan expectations, but I don't think those will ruin Kickstarter altogether. People will just become more wary as the hype dies down.

AHA-Lambda

How is this any different from many of emerging trends in gaming lately like mobile, social, F2P or even AAA to some extent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom