• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Orleans School Principal Caught in Nazi gear and speakng on "White Genocide"

Slayven

http://www.theroot.com/new-orleans-charter-school-principal-nicholas-dean-we-1795550775

Nicholas Dean, the principal of Crescent Leadership Academy, a charter school in New Orleans that has a predominantly black student body, appeared in a YouTube video wearing rings “associated with white nationalism and the Nazi movement,” the New Orleans Times-Picayune’s Danielle Dreilinger reports.

Dean was also photographed at the statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee next to a Confederate flag.

According to the Times-Picayune, Dean claimed that he only went as a “student of history” to witness the long-overdue removal of the Confederate monuments.

“I didn’t go to protest for either side. I went because I am a historian, educator and New Orleans resident who wanted to observe this monumental event,” Dean said. “People who know me know that I am a crusader for children and I fight tirelessly on their behalf.”

The video of Dean wearing Nazi rings—posted on YouTube on Thursday by photographer Abdul Aziz—tells a different story, as does his appearance on a “white genocide” podcast where he said some people know him as a white supremacist.

In both the video and the “Guerrilla Radio” podcast, Dean identifies himself as “Nick Andrews.” He says straight off in the podcast that he works in a charter school that enrolls mostly African-American students.

The podcast host says, “So it’s probably fair to say, then, you’re not a white supremacist, or some crazy KKK member from the Confederate past?”

Dean responds, “I am not by my definition, absolutely not. But by others,’ most certainly.”

Being a white supremacist is a pretty much a yes or no question

video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJNK2BXkU0g

Fuchsdh

Today I learned Nazis have rings. And yeah, I don't think that getup in the video matches the "student of history" defense. Glad the school dropped him, the fact that he was teaching predominantly black students makes it that much worse.

Valhelm

contribute something
Really fucking scary to see this shit be normalized. The time for politely engaging with avowed white supremacists has long since passed.

Unless these people are publicly shamed and harassed constantly by those around them, their ideology will continue to spread.

RinsFury

Trump has white supremacists thinking it's safe to come out in the open. Many, many more face punchings afe still required.

hypernima

Banned
Reminds me of the now fake teacher story from the confessionals.
Though it was fake, it's a shame how it could be completely plausible, especially in this instance.

This is a white supremacist with literal power over a group of minorities.
He could find minuscule reasons to ruin the prospects for students at his school.

norm9

These fucking cowards with their subtle clothing nods to nazis are the real dangerous ones. They seem normal if you're not paying attention.

Remember that GAF confessions thread with a teacher who fucked with a black student's answers to make sure he failed a test?

I thought that was too far and it had to be someone trolling but eeeeeh...shit like this makes me think otherwise.

Though it was fake, it's a shame how it could be completely plausible, especially in this instance.

He could find minuscule reasons to ruin the prospects for students at his school.

Yup.

patapuf

When you go as far as wearing Nazi rings why even deny it?

One is clearly past keeping up appearances at that point and that would be some impressive amount of self denial if he actually believed his deflection.

caliph95

When you go as far as wearing Nazi rings why even deny it?

One is clearly past keeping up appearances at that point and that would be some impressive amount of self denial if he actually believed his deflection.
He is simply a student of history and not aa white supremecist by his definition, he should know he has negro black students

Seiryoden

Good to know they fired him. The Times-Picayune has more. Apparently the School in question takes pupils expelled or excluded from other schools. Given the gross racial disparity in US school exclusions how does a neo-nazi get that job?

Bonus fuckery from the above article:

Dean calls Take 'Em Down NOLA, which advocated for removing the monuments, "a black supremacy movement."

Now, consider that many take these positions because they know they will have that power. The KKK deliberately targets law enforcement jobs for this reason.

Good to know they fired him. The Times-Picayune has more. Apparently the School in question takes pupils expelled or excluded from other schools. Given the gross racial disparity in US school exclusions how does a neo-nazi get that job?

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/06/budget_public_schools_cut.html

When you intentionally create budget shortfalls to "trim fat", education budgets get cut.

Teachers willing to work for peanuts in shitty schools are then in high demand.

Fuchsdh

I don't even know what a foreign Marxist is

The worst kind, obviously.

(The weird resurgence of Marxism fears at the same time as Republicans have decided to cozy up with Russia is really odd.)

Can someone tell me what part of his gear is Nazi?, I cant figure it out

The rings, apparently. Although his entire getup does not exactly equate to "reasonable person", even if you take the Nazi label off the table.

Nazis have secret rings?

I'm learning a lot today.

It's weird to think of them this way since they've always been so visible in American culture, but the KKK is a secret society. Very few of their members are actually public, especially those within the spotlight in their communities in some way, so they have all kinds of little secret symbols and codes and shit like that to communicate to other members in public

every bad story I hear lately is from a charter school. Is that a coincidence?

No, Charter schools are largely hit or miss. Some aren't bad, but some are outright pitiful. It really just comes down to who is running it, and by and large, it seems more and more they're being run by right-wing idiots with too much money who either don't give two shits about education, or actively want to destroy education

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

You forgot the best part:

Seeing Lee as pro-slavery and pro-secession is revisionist history, Dean tells the podcast host
lol

Valhelm

contribute something
The worst kind, obviously.

(The weird resurgence of Marxism fears at the same time as Republicans have decided to cozy up with Russia is really odd.)

There's been nothing Marxist about Russia since 1992. Putin just appropriates the worst aspects of Soviet political culture while leaving behind the egalitarian philosophy.

Marxism as a concept still scares a lot of Americans, so fascists create communist boogeyman to explain their own violence and brutality. This is why the extreme right screams about "cultural Marxism", an entirely imaginary concept, when drying to defame efforts to fight racism and misogyny. For instance, an online message against racism at the University of Michigan was replaced with violent rambling about communists.

Because fascists know that many people associate Marxism with faceless authoritarianism, they think they red-baiting can turn normal everyday Americans into fascist sympathizers.

So what was the symbol on his shield thing that he seemed so proud of?

I'd like to know, since apparently anyone who doesn't know is an idiot. Sure know about his rings, though.

Makes you wonder about the rest of the folks involved, huh?

Fercho

These fucking cowards with their subtle clothing nods to nazis are the real dangerous ones. They seem normal if you're not paying attention.

Yup. It is really important to start paying attention to the subtle details, once you pay attention, some things become really obvious and will be easier to call these people out. This applies for people in this forum as well.

Pizza

I don't have a way to say this that won't be bad but like

I'm glad trump happened. These people are feeing empowered and showing their faces in public and facing the consequences. Ideally all this horrid bullshit forcibly pulls all the skeletons from our closet so they're dealt with

This dude should ABSOLUTELY not be a principal and who knows how long he would've supported the school to prison pipeline had he not felt bold enough to go public with his bullshit

It's not like any of these people are recent white supremacists: they're only just getting exposed now. I'm happy the general tone of the country (such hatred!) is telling these people to collectively go fuck themselves.

Informed kids growing up in 2017 are seeing what happens when someone is exposed as a literal nazi and the systemic racism that people had been actively sweeping under the carpet is too obvious to ignore now.

I hope this horrible administration has a long-lasting good impact on the county

RS4-

How the fuck did he even get hired in the first place

Hired by fellow racists and or frat connections.

So Nick, out of 10, how much do you hate black people?
Do you wish you could own some?

Yes to either is a soft consideration, yes to both is hired on the spot.

Top Bottom