• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PBF comic - "Metamorph-Assist"

It's a social-meta-pan-commentary on the dangers of the world wide web and advertising. They offer us a promised land but will send us to the promised land instead.

Deep.

...can "the promised land" mean the afterlife? I thought it was something different.
Edit: Like, it's usually a good place where living people go.

The people not getting the 'I don't get it' GAF meta don't get it.

Er.

Now what if I told you the original Instagram post features the hashtag '#maga'? DISCUSS.

Übermatik;242632837 said:
The people not getting the 'I don't get it' GAF meta don't get it.

Er.

Now what if I told you the original Instagram post features the hashtag '#maga'? DISCUSS.

Oh really? I was just spouting BS when I posted
But how can I understand the deeper meaning if there spiders doesn't have the word "Trump" printed on it?
(also, the butterfly is greatness, the bug is the people, the flower petals is empty promises, the silk represents political action that seems to help but hurts, and the dead bugs probably have meaning too!)
But now it's doesn't seem that far from the truth..

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Seems to be a pretty straight forward PBF joke to me. Are people really having trouble getting the basic joke that its a spider dressing up as a butterfly to trap other bugs in its web with promises that they can be beautiful and fly? Seems about as to the point as you get with a joke like this.

Violet_0

Banned
now we just need someone to write a paragraph-long in-depth analysis explaining the deeper meaning of this comic and the thread is complete

caliph95

Seems to be a pretty straight forward PBF joke to me. Are people really having trouble getting the basic joke that its a spider dressing up as a butterfly to trap other bugs in its web with promises that they can be beautiful and fly? Seems about as to the point as you get with a joke like this.
I think some or half are trolling because some didn't get it

Window

I don't know how many people replying to the "I don't get it" running joke just don't know about it or are keeping the other running joke (of over explaining the comic) going.

Chuckie

I think some or half are trolling because some didn't get it

It is a GAF meme. Everytime a new PBF comic is released, about half of the replies will be: "I don't get it" (By people who get it)
Another part of the meme is really long posts analysing the deeper meaning of the comic.

caliph95

It is a GAF meme. Everytime a new PBF comic is released, about half of the replies will be: "I don't get it" (By people who get it)
Another part of the meme is really long posts analysing the deeper meaning of the comic.
New to gaf so didn't know

now we just need someone to write a paragraph-long in-depth analysis explaining the deeper meaning of this comic and the thread is complete

Obviously, it's all about Trump.
The butterfly simply symbolizes greatness, or someone enjoying the good life.
The bug, a person in a worse position, yearns for similar status.
Along came a spider named Donald.
Those ugly thing, pretending to be one of the beautiful and great butterflies, promises help.
"Come to me, and you too can become like us".
The Trumpspider uses flower petals (beautiful lies) to appear good. The true, evil nature is obvious, but only to those who can bring themselves to properly look at everything from different angles.
So they bug goes to(elects) the spider. It let's him envelop it in silk, which of course is representative of political action. As an example, Healthcare would be appropriate.
While the deadly healthcare legislation is threatening to snuff out the bug, the insect thinks it is being helped, and calls out for even more changes.
The bug corpses represent Donald Trumps previous victims, before his political career.

Edit: The bug sprouting extra legs in panel 2 is meant so symbolize the inconsistencies of Trump voter behavior.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I thought it was a metaphor for the predatory lending practices that occurred before the 2008 housing crisis. The bugs are families who dream of owning a home, buying their way into a better life. They see others around them flourishing and imagine that could be them. The spider/butterfly is the lender, promising assistance, a pathway to this better life. The "cocoons" are subprime mortgages. You enjoy the ride before it strangles the life out of you. Literal and figurative predation.

We could turn this into a movie. A Bugs Life meets The Big Short.

deadlast

This was pretty great. Not the typical PBF. My son just learned about metamorphosis last year and he was dying.

Alucrid

Banned
the butterfly is a reformed gang member (see tattoo) who participates in the local boys and girls club to help the youth blossom into butterflies

BigDes

Do you guys think when Ralph Wiggum said that sleep was where he was a VIking it meant he was dreaming or that he was really good at sleeping?

PBF threads... Jesus Christ... consistently a trainwreck shitshow.

I hope Gurewitch doesn't lurk around here.
Then again, he might laugh his ass off :p

Aurongel

These threads always follow the same trajectory. You could swap the comments of each PBF thread and you'd never be able to tell.

Violet_0

Banned
presumably, at some point, eons ago, some Gaffer didn't "get" a PBF comic, thus a meme was born

the only two other comics that have or had the privilege of getting their own regular threads are VGCats (once upon a time), in which every comic was shortened to two pannels, and Charlie Hebron, in which some Frenchmen make futile attempts to explain the concept of satire
Obviously, it's all about Trump.
The butterfly simply symbolizes greatness, or someone enjoying the good life.
The bug, a person in a worse position, yearns for similar status.
Along came a spider named Donald.
Those ugly thing, pretending to be one of the beautiful and great butterflies, promises help.
"Come to me, and you too can become like us".
The Trumpspider uses flower petals (beautiful lies) to appear good. The true, evil nature is obvious, but only to those who can bring themselves to properly look at everything from different angles.
So they bug goes to(elects) the spider. It let's him envelop it in silk, which of course is representative of political action. As an example, Healthcare would be appropriate.
While the deadly healthcare legislation is threatening to snuff out the bug, the insect thinks it is being helped, and calls out for even more changes.
The bug corpses represent Donald Trumps previous victims, before his political career.

Edit: The bug sprouting extra legs in panel 2 is meant so symbolize the inconsistencies of Trump voter behavior.
I thought it was a metaphor for the predatory lending practices that occurred before the 2008 housing crisis. The bugs are families who dream of owning a home, buying their way into a better life. They see others around them flourishing and imagine that could be them. The spider/butterfly is the lender, promising assistance, a pathway to this better life. The "cocoons" are subprime mortgages. You enjoy the ride before it strangles the life out of you. Literal and figurative predation.

We could turn this into a movie. A Bugs Life meets The Big Short.
The-Wire-Wee-Bey-OMG-1470610504.gif

cr0w

Old Member

Just last week this forum had a thread dedicated to someone asking how to properly wipe their own ass.

clemenx

Banned
Okay, so did the PBF dude see the reactions to the past dozen or so unfunny comics, and decided that he was now making them intentionally unfunny, so that this would be some big meta-joke over all of us?

I sure as fuck hope he isn't reading Neogaf reactions.

PBF threads are the worst threads in this site.

Futureman

I sure as fuck hope he isn't reading Neogaf reactions.

worst threads on NeoGAF? I don't see it. There's some people enjoying the comic, others not, and the typical people doing the whole "I don't get it *wink*"

seems pretty harmless and far from the "worst."

I checked out the PBF site for old times sake just yesterday

A whole lot of their comics are unlisted now (but can still be found on the site with search engines for some reason), what's up with that?
Yeah I noticed that too, I was coincidentally going through them just a couple of days ago and was confused as to why a bunch of them weren't there.

Really? I prefer this kind of thing to any thread involving cops, minorities, feminism, terrorism, freedom of speech..
This is all fun and games.
In the ones I mentioned, people show opinions that can be really depressing.

This is gaf tho

It's about how Marvel are stupid to do a deal with Sony over Spiderman.
Sure the move will make 150 million this weekend, but the Venom spinoff next year will be so bad it bankrupts both companies.

That's how I interpreted it.

Top Bottom