• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Perfect Dark Scans...OMG Best Looking Next Gen Game So Far

Prine

Banned
Shoot them in the balls and they fall on their knees holding their crotch, looking up in agony, stumble onto their side and finally die after a few spasms.

Next gen hit points :D I want it to be brutal

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The C word was also occasionaly used ("YOU C***" when you shoot an enemy) which i found hilarious at the time being a teenager.

You could also shoot the gun out of enemies hands, then watch them try to pick it up while you lay down some fire.

SO much better than the Halo/Half-life/everything else approach of, "you shot him, it hurt him but you wont be able to tell till he dies".

Drek

Best looking next gen so far? GoW and MGS4 both look better, significantly so. This reminds me of the FarCry engine, juiced up some, ya know, really good level modelling, kinda plasticy characters, really good draw distance. Impressive, but not OMG WTF!?! level.

bigNman

I dont understand the elation, anything less than the best looking FPS ever would be a major cock up considering the time and hardware at their disposal.

Uncle

bigNman said:
I dont understand the elation, anything less than the best looking FPS ever would be a major cock up considering the time and hardware at their disposal.

I don't know about the time thing. They haven't had final hardware very long now and it's launching (or should be) pretty soon.

KingJ2002

I knew rare wouldnt fail to impress... PDZ needed to be a hit and so far it's looking like they will deliver.

I wonder about the online portion

- will there be co-op
- will the game support clans
- is deathmatch, team deathmatch, and capture the flag the only modes possible?

Prine

Banned
bigNman said:

That works against your point, they havent had much time with Beta or Final.

The game looks much improved but I really don't see how anyone can think this is the best looking next gen game so far. If GOW has improved animation then it will trump PDZ in that department (on the 360 at least).

And I don't really understand all of these "eat crow" statements. i recall seeing early PDZ screenshots that looked like shit, so people said it looked like shit. Now it looks good, so people are saying it looks good. There is no crow to eat unless you said PDZ would never look any better (which it does, thank god).

thanks for those shots. MY GOD. PDZ>>>>>>>>>>>>all. THIS is why MS has been holding back. ownage will be evenly distributed come x05! :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Lunar Aura said:
thanks for those shots. MY GOD. PDZ>>>>>>>>>>>>all. THIS is why MS has been holding back. ownage will be evenly distributed come x05! :lol
Huh?

Razoric

Banned
Lunar Aura said:

Seriously just shut up. How are any gamers "owned" if a game ends up good? PDZ looked like complete shit at E3 now it looks like it's coming around. Don't we all win?

DEO3

Am I looking at the same pictures as everyone else? The game might be the bestest looking game ever, but I sure as hell can't tell - the pics are all so small.

raYne

KingJ2002 said:
- will there be co-op
- will the game support clans
- is deathmatch, team deathmatch, and capture the flag the only modes possible?
-Co-op has been spoken about mutiple times. Online co-op is definitely in. As a matter a fact offline co-op hasn't been mentioned as far as I know.
-No clue, they haven't said either way and were never asked in an interview :)lol) but some of the Halo 2 team was(is) helping them during development. Hopefully they had a little input in that regard.
-That's all that has been mentioned.

BigBoss

PartlyCloudlike said:
The game looks much improved but I really don't see how anyone can think this is the best looking next gen game so far.

I don't see how anyone could even say this is the best looking Xbox 360 game that will be released during the launch window, calling PD0 the best looking nextgen game is ridiculous.

bitwise

Banned
Wollan said:
The game has gone down to 32 players now though in multiplayer(which is enough even in BF2 for me personally).

the article says the 32 players is a testing time constraint issue

Mrbob

Razoric said:
Seriously just shut up. How are any gamers "owned" if a game ends up good? PDZ looked like complete shit at E3 now it looks like it's coming around. Don't we all win?

You tell me. You are the one who keeps on running rampant on OA against X360. ;)

KingJ2002

raYne said:
-Co-op has been spoken about mutiple times. Online co-op is definitely in. As a matter a fact offline co-op hasn't been mentioned as far as I know.
-No clue, they haven't said either way and were never asked in an interview :)lol) but some of the Halo 2 team was(is) helping them during development. Hopefully they had a little input in that regard.
-That's all that has been mentioned.

thanks for the info... here's hoping than clan support, offline co-op and extra modes will be added.

I don't understand why people are comparing this game to GOW and MGS4 those games won't come out for at least another 6months +

we should compare PDO to oblivion or kameo or even need for speed most wanted the games that are coming out at launch not games that are coming out months and months from now.

trmas

Banned
Looks better than wallguy, but anyone who thinks this is "OMG THE BEST!!" is smoking something. On the 360 alone, GRAW, Oblivion, PGR3, and GoW all look better.

Don't even get me started with what looks better on PS3. Still if it has decent animation, it looks fun.

Razoric

Banned
Mrbob said:
You tell me. You are the one who keeps on running rampant on OA against X360. ;)

OA != GA. That place is made for goofing off. I come here for decent discussion. :D

Also I've always stated that if PDZ ends up being awesome then I'm buying 360 day of (or whenever PDZ is released). Otherwise I'll probably just wait it out till PS3 and get 360 with GoW or Halo 3.

Looks great (though definitely not the best looking next gen game, PGR3, GoW, Oblivion look better). I'll preorder the Limited Edition. :)

drohne said:
people seem to be confusing low expectations for this game with a desire to see it turn out badly.

As a bystander, I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that most of the posts made in threads about Perfect Dark Zero seem to be trying to negate any optimism rather than any attempt to be realistic. So far most of what I've seen is people jumping into these threads shouting down anyone who thinks the game will be better than average or good, often without reason. Drive-bys.

The funny thing is:

- If you removed all the one word/sentence negative comments/trolling, these threads would often be half the length (being apathetic towards something doesnt mean clicking on a thread, reading the contents, going to the link that it posts, and replying -- true apathy is not even clicking on the thread full stop). Why not let muted response talk louder?

-- The change from all out "THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE SHIT" shouts has steadily dropped to "oh, well the game may look a little better but it's still going to be crap", then to "oh, it looks ok... but Rare haven't done anything for shit for years, so it must be crap" to "I want to see it moving... but I still think it will only be average". No one's talking diminishing returns anymore, curiously.

--- The arguments based on Rare not doing anything worth a shit in the last few years ([chicken head] "what have you done for me lateeeeely" [/chickenhead]) is a curious statement given the team working on PDZ hasn't had a major release since, well, PD. Isn't that faulty logic? If the Mario team hasn't done anything since Mario Sunshine, would I blame them for Mario Party et al? Yes, there are dev team cross-overs, but wouldn't it be better to judge the team actually working on the game, rather than the company who houses them and many other teams for each other title?

Sure, the hyperbole is tiresome (saying it's the best looking next gen game is asking for trouble, esp on these boards), but really, it's scary to see the sheer amount of people saying nothing, coming in the pretence of (often faulty) critique. There's plenty of people waiting to see how the game turns out and fair enough, are sceptical. This is good, it maintains a sense of realism. But there also seems to be a hell of a lot of people out there who thinks Rare eats baby foetus' and want your unborn child's soul. Why they just cant do what I do when I see a game I'm not interested in (sadly, this is barely an option given my job) -- and just ignore it?

A lot here isnt an expression of low expectations, sadly -- instead there's just plain ol venom. And it's baffling. Why not use that time just to go and write in a thread about a game they actually like the look at? Or actually play a game? Or just something else? Why take the time and effort to shit on someone else's dinner plate? (I'm being rhetorical, but you get my point I'm sure).

C.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just saw the shots, i'm VERY impressed wi th the scope shown in some of the levels. it looks really great. it always sounded like it would be a good game, now it will look good too.

easily one of the best looking launch games

PhatSaqs

Banned
Razoric said:
This post comes off as someone trying to save themselves from crow :lol

The change from all out "THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE SHIT" shouts has steadily dropped to "oh, well the game may look a little better but it's still going to be crap", then to "oh, it looks ok... but Rare haven't done anything for shit for years, so it must be crap" to "I want to see it moving... but I still think it will only be average". No one's talking diminishing returns anymore, curiously.
Indeed

miyuru

I can't wait for PD0 :D It's been a looooooong time since I've played a clasically good Rare title.

Then again, I'm not getting an X360, and if I do, it'll be in 3 years or something :lol

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
looks really good in the better quality scans, very excited for this game. the gameplay sounds ace as well, can't till x05

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
everything that happens on gaf is idle chatter, and i don't see any fundamental difference between hype and derision. really: i'm not out to ruin your fun. if disagreement spoils your anticipation of a game as surely as shit spoils dinner, it might be your attitude that's at fault.

cbrotherson said:
As a bystander, I'd agree if it wasn't for the fact that most of the posts made in threads about Perfect Dark Zero seem to be trying to negate any optimism rather than any attempt to be realistic. So far most of what I've seen is people jumping into these threads shouting down anyone who thinks the game will be better than average or good, often without reason. Drive-bys.

The funny thing is:

- If you removed all the one word/sentence negative comments/trolling, these threads would often be half the length (being apathetic towards something doesnt mean clicking on a thread, reading the contents, going to the link that it posts, and replying -- true apathy is not even clicking on the thread full stop). Why not let muted response talk louder?

-- The change from all out "THIS GAME IS GOING TO BE SHIT" shouts has steadily dropped to "oh, well the game may look a little better but it's still going to be crap", then to "oh, it looks ok... but Rare haven't done anything for shit for years, so it must be crap" to "I want to see it moving... but I still think it will only be average". No one's talking diminishing returns anymore, curiously.

--- The arguments based on Rare not doing anything worth a shit in the last few years ([chicken head] "what have you done for me lateeeeely" [/chickenhead]) is a curious statement given the team working on PDZ hasn't had a major release since, well, PD. Isn't that faulty logic? If the Mario team hasn't done anything since Mario Sunshine, would I blame them for Mario Party et al? Yes, there are dev team cross-overs, but wouldn't it be better to judge the team actually working on the game, rather than the company who houses them and many other teams for each other title?

Sure, the hyperbole is tiresome (saying it's the best looking next gen game is asking for trouble, esp on these boards), but really, it's scary to see the sheer amount of people saying nothing, coming in the pretence of (often faulty) critique. There's plenty of people waiting to see how the game turns out and fair enough, are sceptical. This is good, it maintains a sense of realism. But there also seems to be a hell of a lot of people out there who thinks Rare eats baby foetus' and want your unborn child's soul. Why they just cant do what I do when I see a game I'm not interested in (sadly, this is barely an option given my job) -- and just ignore it?

A lot here isnt an expression of low expectations, sadly -- instead there's just plain ol venom. And it's baffling. Why not use that time just to go and write in a thread about a game they actually like the look at? Or actually play a game? Or just something else? Why take the time and effort to shit on someone else's dinner plate? (I'm being rhetorical, but you get my point I'm sure).

C.
why take the time whining like a little bitch, holy fucking christ

dont play games with me. all of a sudden the game is shaping up just like the people who never gaVe up hope said it would and all the naysayers/doomsayers feel stupid now. you know what i'm talking about. 1.5 what? wallguy who? its not my fault you cancelled your pre order. i dont feel sorry for you. :lol

Mike Works said:

Hell, I was feeling frivolous, thanks for drawing attention to it :)

drohne said:
everything that happens on gaf is idle chatter, and i don't see any fundamental difference between hype and derision. really: i'm not out to ruin your fun. if disagreement spoils your anticipation of a game as surely as shit spoils dinner, it might be your attitude that's at fault.

"As an observer", I noted. Me personally, most of the time I cant be bothered to do something like this. Most of the time I cant be bothered to post. For once, I just felt like making a note of it. It wont spoil my fun, hell, I work in the industry so either way I'm going to have to play the game, whether it's shite or not. If you're speaking in general, fair enough, but it's not a personal issue here -- my cornflakes remain unsoiled.

I just find it strange that apathy is often vehemently "OMG, THS GAME SUXORS AND STILL LOOKS SHIT!!!11" rather than [thinking] god, what a pile of cack. I'm going off to talk about how great RE 4 looks on PS2 -- it'll prob piss off some GC fans, but haw haw" [/thinking].

C.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
DaddyZ said:
launch game?....IGN says otherwise.

i'll wait for MS to say otherwise.

either way, pd0 is easily one of the best looking 360 launch window games :p

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
These shots do indeed look tons better than Wallguy but the character models still aren't especially impressive most notably the biker Village People guy. Seems like we'll be introduced to a host of indentical enemy faces and models again but we can't expect something like this to change so early in the generation. I just have to get this out.

How many of you actually think this shot is a real-time rendered city that the player can explore?
http://www.rarenet.com/wiki/images/thumb/d/dd/800px-Edge_PDZ_scan1.jpg

Seriously, if this was real-time and explorable then this far surpasses anything else in the game by like 20x it just isn't realistic. If indeed that city is fully explorable I will indeed be owned and wear a (360 0w3n5 j00) t-shirt as I go pick up my 360 and PDZ on launch day. Not that I don't have faith in Rare to accomplish something like that but that is a tremendous leap from the small enviroments that we have been seeing.

I also wonder how many of you have even played the original Perfect Dark because I have seen people saying things like "OMG she can steal the gun Right OUT of their Hands!!" when PD was doing that 7 years ago. Hopefully Rare will include PD in the game as a bonus so people can understand what are the real innovations Rare have built PDZ around. Lots of posers just jocking the game and its gameplay and have probably never even touched the first game.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that big post doesn't read like observation. it reads like participation. welcome to our level. enjoy your stay.

drohne said:
that big post doesn't read like observation. it reads like participation. welcome to our level; enjoy your stay.

:lol
Fair enough -- wasnt the intent, but semantics can be argued all night.
Why thank you for the welcome, I'll take an Asahi, cheers...

C.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Shaheed79 said:
These shots do indeed look tons better than Wallguy but the character models still aren't especially impressive most notably the biker Village People guy. Seems like we'll be introduced to a host of indentical enemy faces and models again but we can't expect something like this to change so early in the generation. I just have to get this out.

How many of you actually think this shot is a real-time rendered city that the player can explore?
http://www.rarenet.com/wiki/images/thumb/d/dd/800px-Edge_PDZ_scan1.jpg

Seriously, if this was real-time and explorable then this far surpasses anything else in the game by like 20x it just isn't realistic. If indeed that city is fully explorable I will indeed be owned and wear a (360 0w3n5 j00) t-shirt as I go pick up my 360 and PDZ on launch day. Not that I don't have faith in Rare to accomplish something like that but that is a tremendous leap from the small enviroments that we have been seeing.

I also wonder how many of you have even played the original Perfect Dark because I have seen people saying things like "OMG she can steal the gun Right OUT of their Hands!!" when PD was doing that 7 years ago. Hopefully Rare will include PD in the game as a bonus so people can understand what are the real innovations Rare have built PDZ around. Lots of posers just jocking the game and its gameplay and have probably never even touched the first game.

Thats not real time.

Striek

One thing this game has is awesome looking explosions. It is definitely not the best looking next-gen game, or even X360 launch title, but it is looking much better than previously, perhaps, but it still is very rough around the edges. I'm hesitant to make statements based around magazine scans where details are hidden, but some of the areas and character models look decidedly average to sub-par. The scope of the city level and the lighting on the other hand is very nice. The weapon models are so-so.

Its obvious this game has been a sore point to many and they are feeling very relieved/happy from their replies in this thread. The game is improved certainly, but some of you sound like you are seeing a very different game to me. Crow isn't being served based off those pictures, thats for sure.

Direct-feed media is very anticipated now to see those minute details missing, it might look awesome in motion :)

nightez

Banned
Yeah I cant belive they sold out and gave her an american accent. Thats just like James Bond yapping like a yankee :lol

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Mike Works said:

Because he's 100% right-on and there absolutely is a large contingent of people on this forum that want the game to turn out like shit?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Not only is this a HUGE improvement over the previous shots (I never doubted Rare or PD0......EVER!!!) but the gameplay sounds very deep......this seems like it will be a nuainced game, with lots of diffrent ways to play......on the surface, the gameplay discriptions sounds MUCH better than Halo....at least in complexity....

Time will tell if it turns out to be fun and balanced but needless to say, I am excited :D

Yeah, it is no where near the best looking Next Gen games...even on X360, but it now looks good enough to hold its head up high against other top games....not the best, but not a stinker either..

IMO, the graphics are baddass :D

Top Bottom