• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Photos Show President Bush’s Response To 9/11 Attacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/exclusive-new-photos-show-bushs-response-to-911-attacks/

On the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, the presidency of George W. Bush changed instantly. In a new collection of never-before-seen photographs from that day, the president can be seen responding to the worst terrorist attack in United States history — an event that would redefine his time in office and propel the nation into two wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The images, which were given to FRONTLINE through a Freedom of Information Act request, provide a new window into President Bush’s actions on 9/11 — from the initial scramble for information upon learning of the attack at an elementary school in Florida, to his meetings with senior staff throughout the day, and his return to the White House that evening, where in an address to the nation he vowed to “find those responsible and bring them to justice.”

The images were released Friday in response to a FOIA request by Colette Neirouz Hanna, coordinating producer for the Kirk Documentary Group, which has covered the legacy of 9/11 in multiple films for FRONTLINE, including Bush’s War, Cheney’s Law, and the forthcoming investigation The Secret History of ISIS.

They were taken by Eric Draper, who was the president’s personal photographer.
51eZODX.jpg

more inside

Fusebox

Banned
Is this belated PR to try and undo his legacy of just sitting in the classroom after he found out?

And whats with putting his feet all over the paperwork? I don't mind feet on the desk but dude...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

This one is especially powerful. His eyes are the very definition of distraught.

Dishwalla

Banned
Must be nice to be president, even in a national tragedy you get to kick back with your feet up and watch the news coverage.

Fox318

This one is especially powerful. His eyes are the very definition of distraught.

Say what you want about him post 9/11 but he never ran on being a pro war president. I'm sure Dick was frothing at the mouth to get the military machine running before 9/11.

Frankly he wasn't ready for that job though I'm sure not many would be after 9/11 but ultimately his failure to apprehend Bin Laden, enter Iraq in the first place, and mismanagement of Afghanistan ultimately created the foreign policy mess we have today in Europe and the middle east.

It's what happens when you act on something like that without knowing how its going to end and while sometimes foreign policy will be like that with Iraq there was no need for it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I've just now realized that George W Bush could look a lot like Don Adams (Get Smart).

Slixshot

Banned
I don't think kicking his feet back has to do with him being "relaxed". More that he's nervous and he needs to move his feet. Whenever I'm nervous I find it hard to get comfortable with any position for more than a minute.

LQX

I'm not sure what people wanted out of Bush during that day. Did they want him to cry or something? I was a better witness to 9/11 than him and I was just in shock. I did not know what the hell to make of it.

Clydefrog

Is this belated PR to try and undo his legacy of just sitting in the classroom after he found out?

And whats with putting his feet all over the paperwork? I don't mind feet on the desk but dude...

he had a The Far Side calendar!! fuck... props

FyreWulff

only thing i ever wonder about air force one is how everything doesn't go flying around the offices when that shit takes off/lands

gotta keep that shiny desk clean.

it's been awhile since I've seen photos taken on film...

opoth

Banned
Not even Republicans like the Bushes anymore.

Trump was nominated on a platform of "fuck da Bushes."

Karma for Jeb facilitating a coup and the installation of his brother in 2000. He gave Dubya the job and now he'll never have it for himself.

Tagyhag

Guys, if he's not crying in a fetal position while sucking on his thumb he's obviously just casual about it.

I don't know why people expect everyone to act like they want them to act.

We got what we deserved when we elected Bush.

Great pictures but I look at them and just hate that man even more. So much damage not only to the US but to the entire world that we're still feeling today.

BlackJet

We got what we deserved when we elected Bush.

Great pictures but I look at them and just hate that man even more. So much damage not only to the US but to the entire world that we're still feeling today.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Thousands of innocent people don't deserve to die just because someone you didn't like got elected.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I always thought he got way too much shit for his reaction. What did people want him to do, immediately jump in a broom closet, change into his cape and superhero outfit and fly off to ground zero? The guy was a shitty president and a doofus, but he was just reading to a room full of little kids early into his presidency when he had news of the greatest national tragedy perhaps ever whispered in his ear.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Do you really want to compare W. and Obama?

I'm sure you could find a large number of Obama facial expressions and body language displays, if you were a fly on the wall in times like these, that could be seen as embarrassing. Its trivial and means nothing.

PopeReal

I always thought he got way too much shit for his reaction. What did people want him to do, immediately jump in a broom closet, change into his cape and superhero outfit and fly off to ground zero? The guy was a shitty president and a doofus, but he was just reading to a room full of little kids early into his presidency when he had news of the greatest national tragedy perhaps ever whispered in his ear.

Well he didn't need to go ahead with the lie that Iraq had weapons of massive destruction. They repeated it over. And over. And over again. Other countries were smart enough but if you said anything back then you were considered unpatriotic.

They lied repeatedly and caused massive amounts of death and destruction. They are war criminals.

We elected an unserious person and people were fine with it at the time. Just like we're in danger of doing it again with Trump.

This dude gets it.
I don't give a fuck about your spin.

Nobody deserved any of the hardship we had to endure due to an inept presidency. Nobody. People are worse off and they deserve it?

Fuck outta here with your bullshit.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Well he didn't need to go ahead with the lie that Iraq had weapons of massive destruction. They repeated it over. And over. And over again. Other countries were smart enough but if you said anything back then you were considered unpatriotic.

They lied repeatedly and caused massive amounts of death and destruction. They are war criminals.

The poster you were replying to was only talking about his reaction on 9/11, not the decisions made later in his term.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't give a fuck about your spin.

Nobody deserved any of the hardship we had to endure due to an inept presidency. Nobody. People are worse off and they deserve it?

Fuck outta here with your bullshit.

It's an expression. We elected an incompetent warmonger and we got an incompetent war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom