• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Prey Screenshots

Chiggs

DrM said:
are they using Doom 3 engine for this game?

Yep.

I'm a little surprised at the backlash so far. Personally, the monsters in those screenshots look much scarier than the ones in Doom III or RoE.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Am I in a time warp, or was this game cancelled like 8 years ago???

Mrbob

Chiggs said:
Yep.

I'm a little surprised at the backlash so far. Personally, the monsters in those screenshots look much scarier than the ones in Doom III or RoE.

Yeah but it looks like Doom 3.

I already played Doom 3. It wasn't that good. Decent, but not mindblowing.

These pics look in the same vein. I don't want to be stuck in tight corridors anymore.

Chiggs

demon said:
Am I in a time warp, or was this game cancelled like 8 years ago???

The game has actually been in development since 2003; it's actually been one of the worst-kept secrets in the industry.

I dig that shot of what looks like an enemy aiming at you through a portal; as if the two locations can be completely bridged.

I do remember a lot of portal talk from old PC Gamer mags around '96, but I can't remember if the articles were for Prey or Unreal.

^^ EDIT: Guess it was Prey. ^^

Pimpbaa

There are 2 games using the doom 3 engine (this one and quake 4) and they look almost the freakin same! When is someone gonna make something different with the engine?

Chiggs

Pimpbaa said:
There are 2 games using the doom 3 engine (this one and quake 4) and they look almost the freakin same! When is someone gonna make something different with the engine?

Hahaha, you see, that's just it: It seems you really can't. Just ask a modder who has worked with the Doom III engine.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
wow, now that is some bad art. seriously, looks like monsters i scribbled on binder paper in 4th grade. :lol

the 3D models look like they are built out of paper. You know, like those things you see occasionly on the internet for some games (FZero, Metal Gear) where you print out a design and fold it up into a 3D model, thats what these graphics look like.

Eric-GCA

Banned
Technically it is impressive (of course it'd be since its using D3's engine), artistically however, well, I get the feeling that the monsters looked much better as concept art than they do in the game engine. Of course, I think that thats mostly due to the fact that the Doom 3 engine makes model's look awfully plastic-looking.

COCKLES

being watched
Doom 3 engine games are never done justice in screenshots. It's when their moving around with full lighting that you can appreciate them - the bump mapping FX certainly gives the models more visual complexity and a definte, tangible feeling of 'existing' on the screen that flat models really can't match in this day and age.

Borys

Banned
Cold-Steel said:
LOL I'm probably the only one who thinks this game is going to be awesome. :lol

No, you aren't.
This looks way better than Doom 3 IMO, especially on the shots with the portals and big-ass demons.

Doom 3 had nothing revolutionary - Prey, for starters, has portals, changeable(sp?) gravity (you can walk on ceilings etc.) AND better than Doom 3 visuals.

WTF!? Earlier today I asked myself whatever happened to that prey game. Deja Vue for sure. My eyes must have caught some headline somwhere without me noticing it. Anyways I remember reading it had dynamic environment. You could blow up all the walls and stuff.

sammy

fuck...
When will developers learn to apply some modesty and subtlety to their creature designs.........

I'm so damn sick of fighting against McFarlane toys.......

sale -1 (yes that means I'm gonna steal one and throw it away :lol )

pestul

Retarded-looking model syndrome. :(

It must come with the D3 engine. Having said that, that screen with the monster coming through a portal looks fucking awesome (from a technical standpoint).

DrM

Redmond's Baby
From Gamespot :
An enthusiastic Timothy Gerritsen, CEO of Human Head Studios, said, "Prey is sure to breathe new life into the first-person shooter genre with a compelling story, innovative gameplay mechanics, and dazzling imagery, which is powered by our significantly enhanced version of id Software's original Doom 3 engine."

However, the Prey announcement did contain a few surprises. First was the fact that Prey is coming not only to the PC, but also to an unnamed "next-generation console." The fact that Doom 3 has already been successfully adapted for the Xbox makes it likely that the Xbox 360 is the platform in question. However, nothing is official...yet.

Release date = 2006

Chiggs

Does anyone remember the tagline for Prey when it was announced years ago? If not, let me refresh your memory:

"Prey: You are... and you'd better."

Hahahahahahahaha, that's so fucking cheesy. I love it.

Also:

"The initial concept for Prey had been incubating for a while, waiting for the right opportunity to come along," said George Broussard, President of 3D Realms. "We jumped at the chance to create this game with a talented developer like Human Head Studios and next-generation technology like the Doom 3 engine."
Scott Miller, CEO of 3D Realms, added, "Prey is special for many reasons, including several new and original gameplay features and a tightly integrated story that packs an emotional punch, unlike other first person shooters."

"Our collaboration with 3D Realms has been enormously rewarding," added Timothy Gerritsen, CEO of Human Head Studios. With their help, Prey is sure to breathe new life into the first person shooter genre with a compelling story, innovative gameplay mechanics and dazzling imagery, which is powered by our significantly enhanced version of id Software's original Doom 3 engine."

Packs an emotional punch? The name of the fucking character is Talon Brave, for Christ's sake.

Borys

Banned
teepo said:
quake3 had portals :(

Yeah, but it wasn't a SP game. And portals in MP game = the suck. I hated those maps and you really won't find any player created maps with portals because, as I mentioned earlier, portals in deathmatch SUCK.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ninja Scooter said:
the 3D models look like they are built out of paper. You know, like those things you see occasionly on the internet for some games (FZero, Metal Gear) where you print out a design and fold it up into a 3D model, thats what these graphics look like.
Nerdcraft models?

Mooreberg

These are the same screens from PC Gamer. Quake 4 actually looks like Quake II running on the Doom III engine, which is what it should look like since it's a sequel to that game. This just looks like a Doom III expansion pack.

Top Bottom