• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New RE3 patch just went live, fixes Xbox performance issues

thelastword

Banned
Let’s see where thelastword moves the goalposts to this time
What are you talking about, the resolution is CB 1620p, same as PRO...... This is not how XBONEX was marketed. ... Where is that 43% uplift...... PS4 beat XBONES at a higher resolution with better effects and better framerate in most games.... This is far from the true 4k console with no compromises.

FlyyGOD

What are you talking about, the resolution is CB 1620p, same as PRO...... This is not how XBONEX was marketed. ... Where is that 43% uplift...... PS4 beat XBONES at a higher resolution with better effects and better framerate in most games.... This is far from the true 4k console with no compromises.
It's never the devolpers fault for underutilization of the system is it?

Kagey K

Banned
I hope they unpatch it when the series X comes out. It would be a shame to have it gimped for the better systems going forward.

RSB

Banned
They should add options: 4K 30fps lock, 4K variable (like retail) and 60fps mode that was introduced in this patch. They already have 2 of these working.
Reducing the resolution to 1620p is a good move to get better framerates on the XB1X, but yeah, Capcom should have kept 4k as an option.

In fact, having those kind of options should be the norm, especially now that Microsoft is taking Backwards Compatibility very seriously. The 4k60 option is too much for the XB1X, but with the added power of XBSX it should be doable.

Edit: Wolfenstein 2 TNC and Youngblood did this very well IMO.

Last edited:
its a loosing battle, some people just have agendas. just read the posts for the fun they are lol goal post moving al the time

Xbox runs a tiny bit slower: Framerate is king and always has been!
Xbox runs smoother at the same res: Resolution is king and always has been!

That should make it obvious enough to everyone that TLW isn't a serious poster. He's only doing it for entertainment so we may as well enjoy it.

Armorian

Banned
tv´s can´t do 50hz or something?. Cheap lcd monitors have been handling 50-75hz since they were 4:3.

You can't force console to output 50Hz and even if you could games would stutter like mutherfucker (30fps on 50hz doesn't look good, nor any other framerate aside 50fps obviously).

Reducing the resolution to 1620p is a good move to get better framerates on the XB1X, but yeah, Capcom should have kept 4k as an option.

In fact, having those kind of options should be the norm, especially now that Microsoft is taking Backwards Compatibility very seriously. The 4k60 option is too much for the XB1X, but with the added power of XBSX it should be doable.

Edit: Wolfenstein 2 TNC and Youngblood did this very well IMO.

Yeah it's sad that developers don't care about user preferences. Things like disable motion blur/depth of field/chromatic aberration should be mandatory and performance/resolution options with 30fps locks and variable (would still look good with VRR) too, I doubt it will be common next gen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: RSB

GetSchwifty

Banned
This is funny... pinned top comment from the linked VG Tech video.

rrgDVhb.png

He just keep going as well and he has a little bit of a point, but It's crazy for him to think that RE3 owners on Xbox should wait a further 8 months and purchase another $5-600 console in order to play a game they've already purchased at stable framerates. It's a mind-boggling perspective.

Soodanim

I keep seeing this thread and thinking it's some sort of functionality patch for all versions, then getting disappointed when it isn't.

This English "bloke" He angry 😂😂😂🤭 and salty AF

7cUcQUS.gif

lKTHrDV.gif

X beats all head to heads vs Pro...DEAL WITH IT you numb nut of the forums.

There were zero factual inaccuracies with his post though?

X1X is an underpowered 4K machine, and it BOMBED HARD on the market, DEAL WITH IT.

Try harder ..not even close...on your way out don't forget to grab on to his pocket and hold it real tight, blue team buddies 🤭

X is miles better than the Pro and SeriesX Annihilation on every head to head @ DF..aha..yea..yea..wha??!! You were saying something.?..sit your ass down, Nnnneeeext!!

oPwRgwX.gif

GetSchwifty

Banned
Try harder ..not even close...on your way out don't forget to grab on to his pocket and hold it real tight, blue team buddies 🤭

X is miles better than the Pro and SeriesX Annihilation on every head to head @ DF..aha..yea..yea..wha??!! You were saying something.?..sit your ass down, Nnnneeeext!!

oPwRgwX.gif

I didn't try and I don't need to try. X1B is a failure and they're basically being given away, and you know what? People still don't want them. 🤭

BTW, who's that dancing in the pic? It's you right? You realise that makes you the salty one?

Last edited:
I didn't try and I don't need to try. X1B is a failure and they're basically being given away, and you know what? People still don't want them. 🤭

Now when you say an X a "Failure" I know who Im dealin here with, Delusional squad of salty dum-dums. And another down in the salty bum doushe list 🤜🤛

Goddamn SeriesX DOMINATION will be a suicide watch for so many..good times ahead.

Edit. Wait tha fuck up!!..39 messages created an alt account by some banned bum on the GAF?..GTFO, not another min will be wasted on your bum ass.

pkxpqHP.gif

Last edited:

GetSchwifty

Banned
Now when you say an X a "Failure" I know who Im dealin here with, Delusional squad of salty dum-dums. And another down in the salty bum doushe list 🤜🤛

Goddamn SeriesX DOMINATION will be a suicide watch for so many..good times ahead.

pkxpqHP.gif
X1X absolutely is a disaster on the market and being discounted everywhere. Damn, if you think that's a success... I'd hate to see what your failure looks like.

thelastword

Banned
It's never the devolpers fault for underutilization of the system is it?
In some of these cases I agree, it's why I've been saying in the majority of these cases devs are pushing the rez on XBONEX way too high than it can muster, hence why framerates fall below PRO in so many games.....It's in these scenarios XBOX fans say to me, but the rez is way higher than PRO, but that's my whole point isn't it.....Rez has to fall on XBONEX to match or exceed PRO's framerate......

The truth is with all the extra Vram and bandwidth that XBONEX was touted as having with an extra 1.8TF over PRO, you expect much better from XBONEX in such scenarios......TBF, this is not even a 1620p native, this is using CB to get to final rez…...So currently the divide is 57.61 average on PRO vs 59.14 on XBONEX at the same resolution......Based on the TF divide, I would expect XBONEX to be at least 1800p vs PRO's 1620p with slightly better effects and framerate....I'm not sure a console matching PRO's resolution with not much of a huge divide in framerate is something to boast about.....

However, I will say, the game getting patched is a good thing, few games actually do get patched to improve framerate, since so many try to push the 4k moniker on XBOX too hard......Even then, some people tried to pretend it was fine before this patch due to the higher rez, NO it was certainly not....I'm pretty sure it's a much better game to play right now on XBONEX due to the massive uplift in frames...

As I always say, framerate before rez, the only time you push rez higher is when you have a huge surplus of frames....

Banned
The truth is with all the extra Vram and bandwidth that XBONEX was touted as having with an extra 1.8TF over PRO, you expect much better from XBONEX in such scenarios......

Final Fantasy XV = 2X the amount of pixels with the same performance
Red Dead Redemption 2 = 2X the amount of pixels with better performance
Rocket League = 2X the amount of pixels with the same performance
Modern Warfare =1.6X to 2X the amount of pixels with slightly lower performance

do you see a pattern here?
the One X is punching way above the expected difference when you just look at the teraflops numbers. it regularly renders twice as many pixels a second compared to the Pro, sometimes with slightly worse framerates, sometimes with slightly better framerates.
so what exactly did you expect from the system? 4.2TF vs 6TF and what you get in many games is a 2x boost in raw pixel pushing performance on a system with 1.4x the raw TFLOP performance compared to the PS4 pro.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Don’t bother, it’s like arguing with the jehovah's witnesses when they knock on your door. They will just keep standing there talking bollocks.

Best off just closing the door and leaving them to it. Common sense is not in their vocabulary, they believe something far different.

thelastword

Banned
Final Fantasy XV = 2X the amount of pixels with the same performance
Red Dead Redemption 2 = 2X the amount of pixels with better performance
Rocket League = 2X the amount of pixels with the same performance
Modern Warfare =1.6X to 2X the amount of pixels with slightly lower performance

do you see a pattern here?
the One X is punching way above the expected difference when you just look at the teraflops numbers. it regularly renders twice as many pixels a second compared to the Pro, sometimes with slightly worse framerates, sometimes with slightly better framerates.
so what exactly did you expect from the system? 4.2TF vs 6TF and what you get in many games is a 2x boost in raw pixel pushing performance on a system with 1.4x the raw TFLOP performance compared to the PS4 pro.
I'm not going down that path, there are many other games which have a very high resolution and XBONEX loses in framerate...…..,Even RE3 had to basically match PRO's resolution to push slightly ahead of PRO in framerate. No one has denied that there are some exceptions where XBONEX has better resolutions with about par or slightly better performance, but you rarely see exceptions in the vein of BF4, Project Cars, and pretty much the majority of games on PS4 vs XBONES......Where it was a clean sweep in all categories......It's how the majority of multiplats on PS4 played out vs XBONES as opposed to XBONEX vs PRO…..Just that XBONEX was boasted to be a much bigger gap than PS4 vs XBONES and Phil said that PRO should be compared to an XBONES and not XBONEX.....In that sense, we expected much better from XBONEX over PRO and a consistent uplift in all categories as we saw on PS4 vs XBONES...

DaGwaphics

I'm not going down that path, there are many other games which have a very high resolution and XBONEX loses in framerate...…..,Even RE3 had to basically match PRO's resolution to push slightly ahead of PRO in framerate. No one has denied that there are some exceptions where XBONEX has better resolutions with about par or slightly better performance, but you rarely see exceptions in the vein of BF4, Project Cars, and pretty much the majority of games on PS4 vs XBONES......Where it was a clean sweep in all categories......It's how the majority of multiplats on PS4 played out vs XBONES as opposed to XBONEX vs PRO…..Just that XBONEX was boasted to be a much bigger gap than PS4 vs XBONES and Phil said that PRO should be compared to an XBONES and not XBONEX.....In that sense, we expected much better from XBONEX over PRO and a consistent uplift in all categories as we saw on PS4 vs XBONES...

Mathematically, there isn't as much difference between the PS4 Pro and One X as there is between PS4 and One (especially in regards to the memory system). The base PS4 should have a clear victory in all multi-plats when considering pixel count along with frame time. A game would need to be extremely CPU bound for that not to be the case. I need to see a reputable source for this Spencer comment about Pro being more like a One S.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Mathematically, there isn't as much difference between the PS4 Pro and One X as there is between PS4 and One (especially in regards to the memory system). The base PS4 should have a clear victory in all multi-plats when considering pixel count along with frame time. A game would need to be extremely CPU bound for that not to be the case. I need to see a reputable source for this Spencer comment about Pro being more like a One S.
Well people have been boasting the extra Vram and bandwidth when they want to show how superior XBONEX is over PRO, but when many games comes along and XBONEX can't hold it's resolution over framerate, people just say, the rez is super high as justification, no matter the framerate.....In RE3, I'm sure they could push PRO's rez to CB 2160 too and get just slightly lower frames than what we saw on XBONEX prior patch, but who does that benefit.....Frames first and rez after....It's the most important rule....

As for Phil;

“I look at Pro as more of a competitor to S than I do to Xbox One X,” Spencer told Eurogamer in an extensive interview. “This is a true 4K console. If you just look at the specs of what this box is, it’s in a different league than any other console that’s out there. When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that.

“This is 40 per cent more GPU,” he continued. “The amount of RAM we have in this, the speed of the RAM, the speed of the hard drive, the reaction we’re getting from developers… There’s not a tonne [ton] of work developers are having to do to get to 4K, and then they can spend the extra headroom they have and time to perfect the game they want to build. That’s why we’re able to say, over 30 games will have 4K updates for Xbox One X when we launch it.”

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...-everybody-claims-ps4-pro-competes-xbox-one-s

DaGwaphics

Well people have been boasting the extra Vram and bandwidth when they want to show how superior XBONEX is over PRO, but when many games comes along and XBONEX can't hold it's resolution over framerate, people just say, the rez is super high as justification, no matter the framerate.....In RE3, I'm sure they could push PRO's rez to CB 2160 too and get just slightly lower frames than what we saw on XBONEX prior patch, but who does that benefit.....Frames first and rez after....It's the most important rule....

Not really, no, frame time at 4k would be significantly worse on the Pro due to the higher bandwidth required by the frame buffer at 4k.

That is an out-there quote from Spencer, full PR mode detected.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You do know there’s head room for better res and keeping that frame rate. The difference between the two consoles allows it. Watch it get patched again with better res and the same frame rate

sendit

With
This is funny... pinned top comment from the linked VG Tech video.

rrgDVhb.png

He just keep going as well and he has a little bit of a point, but It's crazy for him to think that RE3 owners on Xbox should wait a further 8 months and purchase another $5-600 console in order to play a game they've already purchased at stable framerates. It's a mind-boggling perspective.

With the resolution dropping down to 4 Teraflop levels. That is roughly a 50% reduction in Teraflops (down from 6 sustained). Are you stating this was a lie now?

42HCouV.jpg

Last edited:

lukilladog

You can't force console to output 50Hz and even if you could games would stutter like mutherfucker (30fps on 50hz doesn't look good, nor any other framerate aside 50fps obviously).

Ms and Sony can make consoles output 50 or 74hz easily with an update. Those games that can´t reach perfect 60fps, they play great @50fps/50hz, games running around 40fps look way smoother locked at 37fps/74hz than 30fps/60hz. So I don´t understand why sony and ms never did it.

BigLee74

I'm not going down that path, there are many other games which have a very high resolution and XBONEX loses in framerate...…..

No please go down it. Please go through every game released on the Pro and X, and detail both average resolution and average frame rate. I'm fairly sure you're almost anal/fanboy mad enough to have kept notes.

Let's see all these games on the Pro that perform better than they do on the X. And by better, let's not pretend 1 fps here or there with half the resolution satisfies the criteria. Put your money where your mouth always is (and I don't mean in Sony's ass).

Armorian

Banned
Ms and Sony can make consoles output 50 or 74hz easily with an update. Those games that can´t reach perfect 60fps, they play great @50fps/50hz, games running around 40fps look way smoother locked at 37fps/74hz than 30fps/60hz. So I don´t understand why sony and ms never did it.

It's not immpossible to implement of course but 50hz output could be interesting only at the beggining of the generation and it would have to taken in mind by developers, option like that right now would probably break many 60fps games (internal speed). Plus I don't think all HDTVs on american market can handle 50Hz, there is no "normal" source of signal like that (aside from PC maybe), 75Hz is completly out of the question as only some monitors support it.

I used to switch my driver to 50 of even 48Hz for most demanding games for smooth gameplay when I didn't have adaptive sync monitor, it works quite well on PC but now that VRR/AS is heading to NG consoles (even X1X supports it) there is no hope for Hz switches other than 60-120Hz.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The Xbox One X, if I recall, was designed to do at 4K what the One could do at 1080p. But since most games these days run at more like 1600x900 on the One, it makes sense the One X struggles to hit full 4K. I will say though, I don't think the One X has done as well vs. the PS4 Pro as I would have thought when it came out years ago, especially after Shadow of War which was an early One X patch and it blew away the Pro version.

Yeah it's sad that developers don't care about user preferences. Things like disable motion blur/depth of field/chromatic aberration should be mandatory and performance/resolution options with 30fps locks and variable (would still look good with VRR) too, I doubt it will be common next gen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If only there was a platform that would give you a full range of these options, including frame rate caps and variable refresh. I really wish there was a platform that did that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom