• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sega Genesis Plug-In-Play Console announced, Coming in October

2 WIRELESS controllers, 80 games and it can play your old cartridges?
Dayum, Sega really went all out there. Like, seriously, I wanna buy it.

NoKisum

This particular re release of the same old garbage probably has little to do with Sega themselves at this point.

Ah, didn't see that it wasn't by Sega themselves. Still upsetting to see the game get the shaft most of the time when it comes to Sega themselves reminiscing about the old Sonic games.

Ideally, I just want the opportunity to play the game on a portable device, but Sega shit the bed with Sonic Classic Collection.

dracula_x

Here are the features.

Cn_YMxnWEAAPytK.jpg:large

too many Sonic games

but can it run Crysis?

If Nintendo were to do the same thing with the SNES I would be so in. I had a Genesis but I was definitely a SNES-centric kid.

I'm a bit confused though, it looks like this particular Genesis console has been around for a while already?

IIRC aren't there some messy legal or technical issues with that game?

It's weird how 3&K was totally absent from the PS3/360 collection, and Wii Virtual Console. Was Mega Collection the last time it was re-released completely?

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is on the Wii VC. I own it. As long as you have both Sonic 3 and S&K, you can play it.

It's also on Xbox 360 via XBLA (you also need to own both Sonic 3 and S&K digitally), which I also own. It's even BC on XB1, though I can't get S3&K to work by that method. Both Sonic 3 and S&K work, but my XB1 won't recognize the "lock on" aspect. Works great on 360 though.

Sorcerer

If Nintendo were to do the same thing with the SNES I would be so in. I had a Genesis but I was definitely a SNES-centric kid.

I'm a big confused though, it looks like this particular Genesis console has been around for a while already?

It seems like a really long time. Chance are if you head to your drugstore you could pick one up and take it home today. (Please don't actually) Just remember to blow the 10 inches of dust off the box to spare yourself some vacuuming at home.

Takao

Banned
AtGames shits out a new revision of these with a slightly different game library every year. At one point they did one in the shape of Sonic's head:

qMwZSW0.jpg

I'm guessing Sega isn't in position to directly fund and develop their own version of this( with the genesis model 1 aesthetic to tickle the nostalgia nerve) with HDMI, load it up with their own games and allow for cart playback, right? Because I've heard nothing good about these atgames plug and play models.

Sorcerer

I'm guessing Sega isn't in position to directly fund and develop their own version of this( with the genesis model 1 aesthetic to tickle the nostalgia nerve) with HDMI, load it up with their own games and allow for cart playback, right? Because I've heard nothing good about these atgames plug and play models.

I'm sure Sega could, but they have ported these games on so many systems, so many times, they probably figure they will take the licensing fee from Atgames and let them produce the hardware.

I wish Sega would step up but its unlikely.

DjRalford

I want to see a saturn version of this, and a dreamcast one too.

Few changes though

A built in HDD to hold the bundled games.
A drive capable of reading and playing the original game disks.
A LAN connector to replace dreamcasts modem.
A HDMI out with built in upscaler.

It surely wouldnt be that expensive to get on the shelves, i wonder how well it would sell.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is on the Wii VC. I own it. As long as you have both Sonic 3 and S&K, you can play it.

It's also on Xbox 360 via XBLA (you also need to own both Sonic 3 and S&K digitally), which I also own. It's even BC on XB1, though I can't get S3&K to work by that method. Both Sonic 3 and S&K work, but my XB1 won't recognize the "lock on" aspect. Works great on 360 though.

Ohhh, you might be right. I think I'm just misremembering because wasn't Sonic and Knuckles added looooong after Sonic 3? I kinda stopped paying attention to the Virtual Console around 2009 or so once the releases slowed to a trickle. Sonic 3 was in late 07 and I never remembered Knuckles being added.

I'm sure Sega could, but they have ported these games on so many systems, so many times, they probably figure they will take the licensing fee from Atgames and let them produce the hardware.

I wish Sega would step up but its unlikely.

I hope they do. Nintendo directly producing the mini NES and using the original NES design as the shell adds to the appeal and authenticity IMHO.

Raitaro

I've been looking into Genesis/Mega Drive plug 'n play options these past days (inspired by the mini NES announcement of course - which I've pre-ordered) to find out that all of them seem to have been quite shit. Then I saw this thread's title and thought my dreams of getting an actual first party version would be coming true...for it to be yet another third party one. :-(

How does Sega think this will prove to consumers that they've become more quality focused, like they promised they would a while ago? Surely they could find a way to create such a mini version themselves, or at least be very strict with the third party they choose to partner up with?

As a PAL gamer who grew up with Nintendo consoles and 50hz, bordered games, I've had a longstanding interest to play catch up with Mega Drive games more extensively and play them in 60hz and full screen without the hassle of emulators. I guess I'll have to be patient still...

Edit: I briefly forgot about compilations and VC re-releases but the problem with those options is that 60hz is not always guaranteed for the latter I believe, while the former always omits some great games (like S3&K or the first two Shinobi's on that PS3/360 Genesis compilation). The amount of Genesis games you can play on current consoles like the Wii U (natively, not in Wii mode) and PS4 is shockingly low actually. It feels like it might be zero in fact.

Ohhh, you might be right. I think I'm just misremembering because wasn't Sonic and Knuckles added looooong after Sonic 3? I kinda stopped paying attention to the Virtual Console around 2009 or so once the releases slowed to a trickle. Sonic 3 was in late 07 and I never remembered Knuckles being added.

Yes, Sonic & Knuckles was released on the VC in 2010.

Sorcerer

I want to see a saturn version of this, and a dreamcast one too.

Few changes though

A built in HDD to hold the bundled games.
A drive capable of reading and playing the original game disks.
A LAN connector to replace dreamcasts modem.
A HDMI out with built in upscaler.

It surely wouldnt be that expensive to get on the shelves, i wonder how well it would sell.

I think anything past the cartridge era is out of the question. It gets expensive replacating cd and laser mechanics, and the games start getting rather large.

These machines are garbage.
Don't consider them for a second.

It's such a shame that they are. Because the concept for this is a great one. 40 built in Genesis games with 9-pin control ports for Genesis games and a cartridge slot. It sounds fantastic. But the build quality is garbage, and the sound and emulation is questionable. It does have a lot of compatibility issues with Genesis carts as well.

I want to like this thing, but there are too many strikes against it.

Yes, Sonic & Knuckles was released on the VC in 2010.

That explains it then. I didn't really keep up with Virtual Console at all by 2010. Guess I messed up there.

I remember its exclusion in the Ultimate Collection on PS360 was pretty conspicuous, and the fact that & Knuckles took so long to be on Virtual Console still makes me think that there's something tricky about that game's situation.

Justinh

It's even BC on XB1, though I can't get S3&K to work by that method. Both Sonic 3 and S&K work, but my XB1 won't recognize the "lock on" aspect. Works great on 360 though.

Same here. It didn't work like what... months ago and this thread had me check to see if it still didn't work. It doesn't. I submitted another "problem" report.

Same here. It didn't work like what... months ago and this thread had me check to see if it still didn't work. It doesn't. I submitted another "problem" report.

I've submitted multiple reports and have even posted a few times on the official Xbox forums. I don't expect it to ever be resolved.

It will work if you have a S3&K save from a 360 that is retrieved on your XB1 via the cloud, but since I haven't owned a 360 in years, this method is completely useless for me.

Rival

Gold Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't the previous versions of these been complete shit? I think I have every old Genesis game I could ever want between my old original collection and the Genesis collections I have on steam.

wrowa

80 games is kinda misleading, since half of the titles aren't actually Mega Drive games, but just generic bullshit like "Snake" and "Sudoku Quiz" that you'll never ever want to play. It's just there so they can write a bigger number on the box.

The actual line up of Mega Drive games isn't bad per se, but it lacks games like the Phantasy Star and Shining series, which makes it completely uninteresting for me (bad emulation aside).

Sorcerer

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't the previous versions of these been complete shit? I think I have every old Genesis game I could ever want between my old original collection and the Genesis collections I have on steam.

Its just meant to be something cheap you might find in a drugstore and buy on impulse. take it home, try it, unhook it, and throw it in a closet. I am sure every penny that could be pinched in producing them was pinched.

At least Nintendo is producing their own and it looks like there is a fair amount of quality behind it so far.

Justinh

I've submitted multiple reports and have even posted a few times on the official Xbox forums. I don't expect it to ever be resolved.

It will work if you have a S3&K save from a 360 that is retrieved on your XB1 via the cloud, but since I haven't owned a 360 in years, this method is completely useless for me.
Ah, thanks. I'll give that a shot.

Edit: yeah, I didn't even have to load it up. It just started working after I uploaded a save from my 360.

It's such a shame that they are. Because the concept for this is a great one. 40 built in Genesis games with 9-pin control ports for Genesis games and a cartridge slot. It sounds fantastic. But the build quality is garbage, and the sound and emulation is questionable. It does have a lot of compatibility issues with Genesis carts as well.

I want to like this thing, but there are too many strikes against it.

I mean, it's basically a relic from the days where every clone system flooding market stalls across the world (mostly NES/Famicom) was SOAC and they always had accuracy issues (mostly sound and incompatible games). Now we're into the Android era where these systems are all just Ouya style boxes that use modified versions of existing emulators (sometimes without permission).

Realistically there is nothing stopping Sega taking back the license to make these and put out their own NES Mini style system - one which has decent build quality and accurate emulation - but we know they won't since that's not the easy option.

Harlock

Without HDMI this will look crap on modern TVs. No way this is in the same level of what Nintendo is doing with the NES Mini.

80 games is kinda misleading, since half of the titles aren't actually Mega Drive games, but just generic bullshit like "Snake" and "Sudoku Quiz" that you'll never ever want to play. It's just there so they can write a bigger number on the box.

The actual line up of Mega Drive games isn't bad per se, but it lacks games like the Phantasy Star and Shining series, which makes it completely uninteresting for me (bad emulation aside).

They're going for the quantity over quality angle, which IMO cheapens the perceptual value of their back catalog, something Nintendo has always been careful about protecting. If Sega wants to seriously compete with this, between retro enthusiasts and those who like indie games with a 8/16 bit retro look I think there's a decent market for these things. But Sega needs to put some effort into it, make it themselves, use the model 1 design( I still think it looks cool as hell 30 years later), modern display connection in HDMI, upscaling, original cart playback, and don't tout 80 games if half of them are generic crap and not specifically genesis titles. Give us the essentials: Sonic series, Streets of Rage, Eternal Champions, Ecco, Phantasy star etc etc, and get as many third party titles on there as you can. If they really want to push it, get some sega CD stuff on there though that might be a pipe-dream. But licensing out to Atgames for them to be making these shoddy emulation machines isn't helping their brand image IMO.

MrNelson

Banned

Don't, they're shit.

I had so many people return them back when I worked retail. I'd ask and the most common complaint was that the controllers were fucking garbage.

That and only like half the games are actually Genesis games, and the emulation is lacking compared to other offerings.

FaintDeftone

So what was wrong with the past iterations of this thing? I doubt I would ever buy one since I own that awesome Genesis collection on PS3 and many of them on Steam, but I'm just curious what's wrong with it.

The Nintendo one has HDMI and controllers that work with Wiimotes, which makes it automatically superior.

You don't. Seriously. You don't.

Even Mark over at CGR couldn't stomach the damn things.

Somehow the handheld versions are even worse.

Don't, they're shit.

I had so many people return them back when I worked retail. I'd ask and the most common complaint was that the controllers were fucking garbage.

That and only like half the games are actually Genesis games, and the emulation is lacking compared to other offerings.

Oh well, there goes my excitement.

MrNelson

Banned
Oh well, there goes my excitement.

If you have a 360 or a PS3 and don't already own it, I would suggest picking up Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection. It's got a lot of the games listed here, it also has plenty that aren't on it like the Phantasy Star series, as well as some Master System and arcade games.

Top Bottom