• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Showtime (CBS) streaming deal with Netflix. Affects Dexter and Californication

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) – CBS Corp.'s Showtime will keep current, original series off Netflix's streaming video service when a current deal expires this summer.

The change, part of a new arrangement, means no "Dexter" or "Californication" episodes from previous seasons will be available on Netflix, as had been the case under the current arrangement which covered the first two seasons of the shows.

Episodes of current originals will be on Showtime's authenticated broadband service, Showtime Anytime.

The new Showtime-Netflix deal will include the streaming of shows that are no longer on Showtime, such as "The Tudors" and "Sleeper Cell," which previously was not on Netflix.

"Current and past seasons of our original series will be available to our authenticated subscribers via our TV Everywhere service Showtime Anytime," a Showtime spokesperson said. "A number of Showtime original series will continue to be available and stream on Netflix, including 'The Tudors' and 'Sleeper Cell,' among others."

The rejigged content agreement comes after CBS and Netflix recently struck a deal that also gives the latter the rights to stream such library shows as "Star Trek," "Family Ties," "Cheers" and "Frasier," but does not include current series.

Netflix, meanwhile, has moved into premium networks' turf with the acquisition of 26 episodes of drama "House of Cards."

Makes no sense.

2Crisis

Man, they never put up season3 of Dexter on Netflix anyway, so anyone who was using that for Dexter isn't really gonna miss out regardless.

I hate that studios do that, but I understand it, offer a season or two to get you to buy the others. Same with IT crowd on netflix.

entremet

2Crisis said:
Man, they never put up season3 of Dexter on Netflix anyway, so anyone who was using that for Dexter isn't really gonna miss out regardless.

I hate that studios do that, but I understand it, offer a season or two to get you to buy the others. Same with IT crowd on netflix.
I know. But I got into Dexter by watching the first season on Netflix. I later bought the rest the seasons on DVD. I can understand not having the recent seasons, but why kill a channel that can bring on new fans.

Roscoe

Neo Member
Freedom = $1.05 said:
Can't wait till they all come crawling back to Netflix, just like the music studios did with apple and iTunes.

I agree, I don't see Showtime on Demand really taking off no?

Van Owen

Banned
Roscoe said:
I agree, I don't see Showtime on Demand really taking off no?

Why? It's free if you subscribe to Showtime.

This will probably be the first of many to get out once the deals are up.

GhaleonEB

entrement said:
I know. But I got into Dexter by watching the first season on Netflix. I later bought the rest the seasons on DVD. I can understand not having the recent seasons, but why kill a channel that can bring on new fans.
I watched the first two seasons streaming, but haven't gone further than that because #3 wasn't up. Go figure.

entremet

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Can't wait till they all come crawling back to Netflix, just like the music studios did with apple and iTunes.
I understand their point with new content--they want make some money on DVD/BR sets. However, why take the first seasons of these shows off the service? Especially for serialized fare like Dexter.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'd be fine with paying for additional streaming sources for current content if it means Netflix keeps their huge old content library. Although thats only if they charge something reasonable like three bucks a month, and not fifteen.

lush

Started watching Dexter on Netflix as well. Ended up watching the other three seasons via "the Internet".

Pretty stupid though, why not leave the two seasons on the service so as to gain new fans of the show that will potentially subscribe and tune in for the next seasons and/or purchase the show on DVD?

Van Owen said:

But I can't watch that on all my devices like I can with Netflix.

Van Owen said:

But it's not like Showtime is on its way up in popularity. These stations are eventually going to have to peddle their content like any other network, as their premium cable channel is made irrelevant by various forms of streaming/on-demand services that combine everything. If you can live without showtime's exclusives, then you have absolutely no reason to go with them at all.

I might just hang with weird people, but none of my friends have cable anymore, aside from a few with the basic local channels. We just use netflix, hulu, southparkstudios, etc.

Zonar

Smision said:
But it's not like Showtime is on its way up in popularity. These stations are eventually going to have to peddle their content like any other network, as their premium cable channel is made irrelevant by various forms of streaming/on-demand services that combine everything. If you can live without showtime's exclusives, then you have absolutely no reason to go with them at all.

I might just hang with weird people, but none of my friends have cable anymore, aside from a few with the basic local channels. We just use netflix, hulu, southparkstudios, etc.
We must be friends! Thats exactly what i use along with "the Internet". I really only want to go through nexflix for old stuff and Hulu for new stuff.

entremet

Teh Hamburglar said:
Guess I'll never see Season 3-4+ then. I hate buying DVDs cuz I only watch them once.

Screw you, Showtime.
There's always iTunes or Amazon's download service.

Zonar said:
We must be friends! Thats exactly what i use along with "the Internet". I really only want to go through nexflix for old stuff and Hulu for new stuff.

yes, I like having a $12 a month netflix bill + $50 5mb cable internet vs. the ridiculous prices my parents pay for a full cable set up with premium channels. I watch just as much as they do, if not more, on my schedule, often without commercials. Don't even get me started on waiting each week for a new episode. Cable just doesn't make any sense.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just charge me a Showtime/HBO premium. Then I don't have to pay Comcast shit, and Showtime/HBO etc would get more direct revenue from me.

Netflix Prime.

entremet

Smision said:
yes, I like having a $12 a month bill vs. the ridiculous prices my parents pay for a full cable set up with premium channels. I watch just as much as they do, if not more, on my schedule, often without commercials. Don't even get me started on waiting each week for a new episode. Cable just doesn't make any sense.
Yeah. Cable companies just don't get it. I will be more obvious as the demographics start shifting.

Hari Seldon

OuterWorldVoice said:
Just charge me a Showtime/HBO premium. Then I don't have to pay Comcast shit, and Showtime/HBO etc would get more direct revenue from me.

Netflix Prime.

Yeah if they did this then I would be ecstatic, perhaps when they renegotiate their deals with the cable companies.

entremet

OuterWorldVoice said:

Netflix Prime.
Yep. I could care less about HGTV, Spike, and all that channel filler.

Teh Hamburglar said:
How much are they on iTunes?
It's cheaper on Amazon's service. 18 bucks per season, while iTunes has it for 23 dollars per season.

You can also try getting DVDs on eBay. You can get some great deals there.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Getting people to watch the first seasons of a show is important to get people to watch the presently airing season. Apparently, they don't see it the same way.

Roscoe

Neo Member
OuterWorldVoice said:

Netflix Prime.

That would be a loss for the consumers. With their revenue stream Netlix should be pushing all outlets to play ball. Bilking consumers for more is a poor precedent.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Cool, didn't know Showtime Anytime was coming out. Hope they have full series like HBOgo

Freedom = $1.05 said:

Don't count Amazon Prime out just yet...

entrement said:
Yep. I could care less about HGTV, Spike, and all that channel filler.

It's cheaper on Amazon's service. 18 bucks per season, while iTunes has it for 23 dollars per season.

You can also try getting DVDs on eBay. You can get some great deals there.

Perhaps I will look into this. Thanks. I gotta check out the fallout from Doukes adventure. Stuff was just getting good (better)!

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
awwww wtf i've been waiting forever for season 3 and 4 ( 5?) of dexter. i only stream, no dvds in mail for me

ascii42

Smision said:
yes, I like having a $12 a month netflix bill + $50 5mb cable internet vs. the ridiculous prices my parents pay for a full cable set up with premium channels. I watch just as much as they do, if not more, on my schedule, often without commercials. Don't even get me started on waiting each week for a new episode. Cable just doesn't make any sense.
Yeah, sometimes I feel I could do without. Unfortunately, I like watching sports. That's the real kicker. No cable would really put a damper on my March madness. Otherwise I suppose I could just catch games at bars or something

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
All of you waiting for seasons 3-5 of Dexter aren't missing much. Go watch some clips of John Lithgow on youtube, that's the only worthwhile content from any of those seasons.

markatisu

OuterWorldVoice said:

Netflix Prime.

I would be all over this, we pay a premium for blu-ray rentals why not allow us to pay a premium to get access to pay channel content

krzy123

Showtime hasn't added any new Dexter or Californication shit in years, this will save me the trouble of getting the dvds for The Tudors tho.

So this confirms when both those series end they'll show up on Netflix? I can live w/ that.

RBH

showtimeanytime-150x150.jpg

mzl.xguwohas.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.soepihnp.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.tlkdzkuu.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.rqiorxrr.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.xidzeniv.480x480-75.jpg

Showtime has joined fellow premium television network HBO in offering an iPad app to stream video to its subscribers. The free app, called Showtime Anytime, serves up Showtime's original programming -- TV series like Homeland, Dexter and Weeds, among other things like boxing -- and the movies running on the various Showtime networks.

Currently, the app only works for Showtime subscribers through AT&T U-Verse and Verizon FiOS. Comcast subscribers can access Showtime's content through the Xfinity TV app, but Showtime says the Anytime app will work for Comcast subs "soon."

The app is expected to arrive on the iPhone in early 2012. For now, though, Showtime Anytime for iPad is free on the App Store.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/10/showtime-delivers-streaming-video-to-ipad/

entremet

So apps are the new channels? I guess Gruber was right. But the whole authenticating crap seems like a fucking nightmare. So unwieldily.

Netflix has been begging HBO to allow them to feature their shows on their site. HBO has laughed every time. With the way the quality of Netflix is going, HBO would seem like a better deal just for The Wire over anything Netflix offers.

entremet

dont get these apps.. i want to watch this stuff on my tv not a fucking ipad

Well if it like HBO Go, you can be able to watch every Showtime series season ever produced. I don't know why they offer this for OnDemand, instead you have wait for the series to cycle. At least that's what I remember when I had cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom