• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New spider family found in Oregon. Behold Trogloraptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazzim

Banned
800px-Theraphosa_blondi_1.jpg

The dollar bill looks so small in that picture.

Primitive relatives of other arachnid families may yet be discovered in the same regions, he noted, because many unique evolutionary descendants of other widespread groups live there, including coast redwoods, mountain beavers, coastal-tailed frogs, and some pseudoscorpions whose evolutionary ancestors date back 380 million years.

I find this even more interesting. I wonder what makes this area so unique?

Holy crap, that is so fucking cool!! That spider looks so badass :p

It's incredible that new species of animals can still be found so frequently in this day and age. And in Oregon! <3

Gaborn

I find this even more interesting. I wonder what makes this area so unique?

probably under developed and isolated. The fact that they were found in a cave probably helps it too. Also, the fact that most people don't necessarily think about looking for new species, they just see "Oh, look at the spider" without wondering what kind of spider it is.

Bombadil

Banned
The structure of a spider won't really let them grow that big on land, and it really serves no benefit.

I understand the first part but don't really agree with the second part. Who's to say what the benefits are. The needs of the spider can change drastically.

Think of it this way. Insects breed more rapidly in warmer climates. We are experiencing global warming. Global warming = more insects = more food for spiders = larger spiders.

Come on guys. Believe in something.

Kabouter

More info:
It's an apt name for a spider with unique hooks, or claws, on its legs, which the researchers believe are used to snatch flying insects, like midges, out of the air. With its legs outstretched, the spider measures up to 3 inches (8 centimeters) long.

"They're biggish," Griswold said. "But when you're in a cave and it's dark and there's only the beam of your head lamp, they look much bigger. It's quite astonishing to see them hanging from a few threads."

Griswold and his colleagues think that the newly discovered spiders hang from the underside of caves on simple webs, waiting to snatch a meal with their astonishing sicklelike legs. The few specimens Griswold and his graduate student Tracy Audisio have reared in the lab, though, haven't eaten anything. "It seems very shy," Griswold told OurAmazingPlanet.

The spider also has poisonous glands, although there's no evidence that it is dangerous to humans.
gNOWY.jpg

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48703399/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.UC66jEStBr0

Gaborn

I gotta look up some of these stories!

Yeah I thought that was neat.

Also, I'd like to thank Kab for posting the story update for me while I couldn't access GAF yesterday with the DNS switch. Those claws are AMAZING and very much like the raptors we all know and love.

Trey

I have no issue with spiders. They always have the disposition that they're just hanging out and want no problems.

Stencil

Spiders are ok with me, mainly, but what freaks me out about these buggers is that we don't know how or what they eat.

Bombadil

Banned
Spiders are ok with me, mainly, but what freaks me out about these buggers is that we don't know how or what they eat.

Maybe these particular spiders were affected by their displacement from their natural habitat and lost their appetite.

It happens to higher order animals.

Yes, we really need to know about stories of giant spiders hanging from the underside of caves that snatch people up by their heads with their sicklelike legs...

I haven't been able to find anything online yet, but I'll keep looking... everything I type in so far pops up either a different iteration of the spider discovery, or a general "spider legends from around the world" collection, with no mention of the PNW in any of them.

PS: There is only so long you can be searching for spider related stuff on the internets before you get a little creeped out, even if you're OK with them /shiver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom