• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Ocean 4 scans & info + SO 1&2 scans

soul

Several new scans of Star Ocean I, Star Ocean II and Star Ocean IV from the latest issue of Famitsu have surfaced online. For those unaware, Square Enix has recently announced that Star Ocean I & II are to be remade for the Sony PSP.

New information regarding the new title of the franchise, Star Ocean IV, has also been revealed:

· There are two main characters called Edge Maverick and Reimi.
· Similar to Final Fantasy IX, you will now be able to fight with up to four characters.
· No platform has been announced for the game, but Famitsu says new information is to be revealed at Tokyo Game Show 2007.

» View Star Ocean I scans
» View Star Ocean II scans
» View Star Ocean IV scans

Creds to http://www.forever-fantasy.net for the story.

szaromir

Banned
guidop said:
I'd say from the scans that it would be using the same engine as FFXIII, so ps3 exclusive imo
It's on the same engine as Infinite Undiscovery. I bet it's a PS360 title.

soul

guidop said:
I'd say from the scans that it would be using the same engine as FFXIII, so ps3 exclusive imo

Seriously doubt they will release more PS3 exclusives after Versus & XIII; perhaps a 360 game?

guidop

soul said:
Seriously doubt they will release more PS3 exclusives after Versus & XIII; perhaps a 360 game?

thats what i was thinking but then why does last remanet look so bad, if this is a 360 and ps3 title you would expect it to look like that, NO?

Loudninja

dai said:
sometimes i think i'm the only person on this forum with good taste in games. so3 an abomination? what the hell, dude?

Nope,SO3 was great to me, the story could have been much better, but the battles were fun.

szaromir

Banned
guidop said:
thats what i was thinking but then why does last remanet look so bad, if it was a 360/ps3 you would expect it to look like that, NO?
We're talking about Tri-Ace here.
dai said:
was this confirmed somewhere, or are you just guessing?
Confirmed.

DiddyBop

I loved SO2, and will prolly be buying SO1 since I never played it, but SO4 doesn't interest me much, I didn't really like SO3. How come SO can get all these games and Chrono can only manage two? cmon square

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
I really didn't like what was apparently SO3. So maybe I'll get the PSP ones or the new one. But I dunno. Can someone explain to me what the first two were like? Final Fantasy esque or that horribly laggy "real time" battle stuff?

szaromir

Banned
dai said:
i don't remember reading that anywhere, tbh. link?
Loudninja said:
Do you have a link for that?Because I have heard nothing about what engine the game uses.
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20060911/vp2.htm
Took me a while to find that. The article is about Valkyrie Profile 2 engine, but it also mentions that after PS2 era bulding engines from ground up for every game is not an option and beginning with Infinite Undiscovery (horrible name) they are building a general multiplatform engine (even though IU is exclusive to 360) on which all future Tri-ace's games will be running on.

soul

szaromir said:
Took me a while to find that. The article is about Valkyrie Profile 2 engine, but it also mentions that after PS2 era bulding engines from ground up for every game is not an option and beginning with Infinite Undiscovery (horrible name) they are building a general multiplatform engine (even though IU is exclusive to 360) on which all future Tri-ace's games will be running on.

Thanks for the heads up.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I seriously just unloaded in my motha fucken pants

szaromir said:

I would think this is the correct answer

nightside said:
so..there is any chance that what shown on the scans isn't CG?

The original image that was released for "Infinite Undiscovery" looked real good and was supposedly real time.

BlueTsunami

dillenger said:
Since when has Tri-Ace ever developed a multiplatform game?

You would think they would do Multiplatform first then move from there but they've already announced an exclusive game for the 360 (Infinite Undiscovery).

I reckon it`s FMV, they want to keep the platform of choice a secret and this is the best way of doing it. Besides, I don`t think PS3 or 360 could handle the level of graphics in those images anyway!

BlueTsunami

Nuclear Muffin said:
I reckon it`s FMV, they want to keep the platform of choice a secret and this is the best way of doing it. Besides, I don`t think PS3 or 360 could handle the level of graphics in those images anyway!

The shot with the floating islands and the two characters standing together looks ingame to me

soul

Nuclear Muffin said:

So which console can? PlayStation 4?

So, it's PS3 or X360. Well..... I don't really know which console could be. Star Ocean is not famous as FF in occident. So, the X360 could not compense enough. Maybe it will be on PS3...

icecream

Public Health Threat
guidop said:
Except it's Tri-Ace developing, not Square-Enix. No White Engine here.

szaromir said:
Where does it say that? I didn't catch that from the interview.

szaromir said:
And beginning with Infinite Undiscovery (horrible name) they are building a general multiplatform engine (even though IU is exclusive to 360) on which all future Tri-ace's games will be running on.
What it says is that while developing the 360 version of this general purpose engine, they're finding ways to see if they can implement what they've learned in the broader perspective of multiplatform development. It's like Capcom.

And since they're not doing it alone (the LO staff is helping out as well) chances are the 360 engine for IU will turn out different than a hypothetical 360 version of SO4.

Loudninja

szaromir said:

Sorry but how does that mean this game, use that engine ?Oh and I doubt they will give 360 2 exclusive rpgs.

Kyoufu

Doesn't make much sense to divert away from the Playstation brand when you've been there since SO2, are making SO1/SO2 remakes for PSP and a HD SO4 game which you actually want it to sell more than 200k in Japan. It'll be on PS3 for sure, but who knows, it could be on 360 too.

I'm just glad its being done on powerful hardware. Star Ocean is great.

Loudninja

Kyoufu said:
Doesn't make much sense to divert away from the Playstation brand when you've been there since SO2, are making SO1/SO2 remakes for PSP and a HD SO4 game which you actually want it to sell more than 200k in Japan. It'll be on PS3 for sure, but who knows, it could be on 360 too.

I'm just glad its being done on powerful hardware. Star Ocean is great.

Agree, that show give some clue that they feel comfortable with Star ocean franchise on a PS system/I mean the game is pretty big in Japan is it not?

Lebron

Loudninja said:
Agree, that show give some clue that they feel comfortable with Star ocean franchise on a PS system/I mean the game is pretty big in Japan is it not?
SO3 sold pretty well in Japan, I think the original sold around 550K or so, and the Director's Cut sold another 400k or so. The original sold the most in the US, I believe, which was around 620k.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
X26 said:
Hope it's better than the abomination that was SO3

Nevermind

Agreed. SO3 was soooo dissapointing considering how great SO2 was.

The VA was terrible, the story was a big mess... the whole game just screamed of "what happend?"

SO2 was great though. Hell, I even watched the anime.

Rolf NB

X26 said:
Hope it's better than the abomination that was SO3

Nevermind
:lol
Though if you want to be famous in Sweden, "Cliff Fitter" is the better name to have.

I didn't even think the voice acting was bad, it was just that the writing was one putrid vomitty bowel rejection.

Novid

Banned
SO 3 i felt TRIED way too hard to be a new Xenogears. Hell, everybody tried to out do Xenogears...but what i want more in SO4 is more "Trek" than..."Wars"

(Oh come on, you dont think i know what ST episodes they based the whole damn franchise on? lol)

Nolan.

Loudninja said:

I wouldn't rule out a multiplatform and I wouldn't think there's anyway the ps3 wouldn't be getting it. Putting it on either the ps3 or 360 alone could have it's drawbacks. Plus where tri-ace don't usually do the muliplatform thing the interview seems to hint heavily towards them going that way with this. The only thing i'm thinking is if the have a big enough team to be doing a multiplaform game, and an exclusive.

kammy

Banned
Why would SE want to release an RPG on the 360?

The Japanese dont want it and its going to flop in the US and europe.

dai said:
sometimes i think i'm the only person on this forum with good taste in games. so3 an abomination? what the hell, dude?
Naw dude. The game was pretty bad maybe not an abomination. The exploration was horrible, the gameplay was inferior to the second game, and the story and acting was bad as well.

Top Bottom