• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New starcraft II units revealed!

mr. puppy

Banned
Terran
Warhound: This versatile factory unit is great against mechanical ground targets and can dish out area-of-effect anti-air attacks.
Battle Hellion: New transformation mode to gain durability in exchange for slower movement, great for fighitng mixed forces using light troops combined with area-of-effect attacks
Shredder: Mobile unit that can deploy and create a whirlwind of death around it. Safety protocols auto-disable the attack if other friendly units enter the danger zone.

Protoss
Replicant: Microscopic robots can fuse themselves to copy a targeted non-massive unit. The replication also auto-enables any specific upgrades of the targeted unit (ex: cloaking, etc.)
Oracle: This flying support unit can scout and disrupt the enemy economy. It can reveal what structures are making and also temporarily disrupt building productions & resource harvesting.
Tempest: Powerful capital ship that dominates the skies with massive area-of-effect attacks against light enemy flyers and a strong beam against ground targets.

Zerg
Viper: Flying unit with support abilities, it can grant detection to units, create a cloud to hinder ranged attacks & abilities, and quickly pull units to safety (friendly) or their doom (enemy).
Swarm Host: This zerg host can gradually spawn endless waves of attackers while burrowed to overwhelm your enemy.

uAvmT.jpg
qZR1c.jpg

u0T5R.jpg

edit:

gonna add a few professional player quotes:

TLO:
wooh Goliath, more versatile hellion and spidermines... I think I am pleased.

Z and P seems to get some funky stuff but I am satisfied wiht machine guns, flamethrowers and smth that just slashes throuhg all the shit coming at me. Much more down to the ground ;D

carrierre and mothership gone:
AcS1t1YCMAAB1BY.jpg:large

arc shield:
AcS9CN1CAAA3mn5.jpg

From IPL Caster AskJoshy:
Terran: aoe spine crawler, transforming factory unit, Goliath substitute online
Zerg: burrow moveable blank, reverse dark swarm, detection changes
Protoss: mineral shields, new nexus defensive ability, and............ Cloning?
More concrete details after doors open.
EDIT: Doors are open now. The aoe spine crawler is a Shredder. It costs 150/150 and comes from the factory. It does nothing in its mobile form, but when you plant it in the ground making it stationary, it fires a quick aoe pulse in a visible, kind of large radius. The hitch is, if friendly units are standing near it, it won't fire the pulse. It has to be alone. Good for map control, and blocking expansions maybe.
The transforming unit is the hellion. I only got to see it a little but it basically just flips into a firebat sort of thing and fires in a different pattern, more like a cone than a line. It's slower in its firebat form, as it's walking around.
Goliath substitute is the Warhound, also from the factory. Shoots rockets at air kind of like a thor, but no/weaker splash and actually a really weak base attack. Its ground to ground attack looks like it's firing a tazer at its enemy. Decently quick fire rate, good for support I think, not viable to mass them.
Burrow moveable banelings. That is all.
Reverse dark swarm is just disruption web from the corsair, you guys were right. It's fired from the new "Viper" unit. This unit can also cast a spell to make any unit a detector. Overseers are out of the game. Viper's last spell is 100 energy (out of 200) and it pulls any unit from range to itself, like Scorpion's "Get over here!" or a chameleon tongue. I did it on an ultralisk and laughed.
Protoss mineral shields come from a new flying raider unit. It coats enemy minerals in little white bubbles/shields that must be attacked down or time expired. My SCVs freaked out when Artosis did it to me, so my marines came and cleaned up the shield things.
The new nexus defensive ability seems to be decent for super early game, not much else. Basically you can cast it on any of your structures and it gives it a weak attack. Artosis built a pylon in my mineral line and cast the new spell on it. My SCVs killed it and it only managed to take one SCV to 5 health. Not sure if this will be changed.
Cloning? Looks like another unit, the replicant, can also transform itself like a shapeshifter into an enemy unit that it gets in melee range with. Artosis cloned my shredder, warhound, and an SCV and began building a command center with it.
There's more stuff in the demo, but I only got to play one round and observe the Zerg stuff after my session was over.
OH and the destructible rocks are actually a new thing. There are rocks that you can attack to CLOSE paths called collapsible rocks. This really confused me at first, I thought it was a bug, but it's a defensive measure you can choose to use.

King Boo

i really don't like how terran units are like transformers.

but the other two races have some cool looking units.

mr. puppy

Banned
King Boo said:

terran doesn't need more stuff.

I think Thor is being replaced?

Harlock

In Protoss seems like a replace for Carriers. Nobody uses carriers.

I don´t know if they gone to introduce 3 new units in multiplayer mode. Is very hard to balance and the pro players are already not liking Blizzard that much.

raphier

Banned
King Boo said:

. except protoss. None of these sound super exciting really.

RickA238 said:
Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt.

Updating when I get home.
:/ You have the expansion pack already?

None of these sound that interesting. Hopefully Replicant is cheap to build; if it consumes itself to reproduce an unit AND doesn't take said unit away from the enemy, it had better be both cheaper to do and appear earlier in the game than Mind Control in SCBW.

V_Arnold

DEAR LORD!

badcrumble said:
None of these sound that interesting. Hopefully Replicant is cheap to build; if it consumes itself to reproduce an unit AND doesn't take said unit away from the enemy, it had better be both cheaper to do and appear earlier in the game than Mind Control in SCBW.

Dude, use your imagination.
Having just 20% of your army be these guys basically defend against tech switches. You will know what to replicate!

Proelite

Maybe these units are campaign only? Terran and Protoss units looks like a mess visually, Blizzard needs some new concept artists.

Replicant and Oracle look like they could be very dangerous in the right hands.

The Terran units seem too much alike. A bunch of higher tier ground units. I guess they want people to expand past MMM? Then again I haven't played in several months now so MMM might no longer be the flavor of the month.

V_Arnold

Proelite said:
Maybe these units are campaign only? Terran and Protoss units looks like a mess visually, Blizzard needs some new concept artists.

No, they are absolutely amazing, honestly. And once we see them ingame, you will agree also :p

raphier

Banned
Proelite said:
they said that the units in silhouettes are MP units too, so it means that mushroom, hellion transformer and "moonphoenix" are MP units.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
The Lamonster said:
Are these going to be added to multiplayer? That is going to mess with the balance for sure.

Yes, you can see "MULTIPLAYER" above the protoss units

woober

The zerg units sound interesting. Swarm Host sounds like a freaking burrowed broodlord. Nightmares.

As for the other 2 races, I don't like the unit design. Why do the protoss all look like orbs? I want to see more designs similar to the zealot. The terran units look generic, too. Nothing I haven't seen from other games : (

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Can replicants fuse enemy workers? Then you can do the whole Dark Archon mind control > build up an army with your opponent's race thing that you could do in Brood War.

Protoss units look cool, but I don't know about functionality. one of them sounds mostly like an overseer/observer combo, and the capital ship looks like a counter to mutalisks while serving more or less the same air-to-ground function as a void ray.

The burrowed zerg unit sounds like a modern lurker.

Proelite

V_Arnold said:
No, they are absolutely amazing, honestly. And once we see them ingame, you will agree also :p

They'll have the most amazing animations, so in motion they'll look great. I am not impressed by the stills, especially the warhound. For an unit with such a badass name, it looks like a scrapped design that's going to be used for a neutral doodad in other games.

Terrans also have way too many robots now.

SCV
Warhound
Hellion
Thor
The shredder.

Why couldn't have the made the Warhound into a battle armor variant like the Marauder?

boiled goose

good with gravy
V_Arnold said:
DEAR LORD!

Dude, use your imagination.
Having just 20% of your army be these guys basically defend against tech switches. You will know what to replicate!

it will be interesting if u can replicate units in your own army.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
amtentori said:
it will be interesting if u can replicate units in your own army.
It would be REALLY interesting if you could replicate hallucinated units. Imagine tech switching to void rays without needing to build a stargate.

Chris R

Wonder how expensive the replicant is going to be. I'd love to see it cost very little to begin with, but then have a variable cost depending on what it is cloning.

Also, anyone think the replicant is going to be able to clone other races units? How sweet would it be to roll into a zerg army with some infestors of our own??? :D

Zhutchka

The transformer shit is ridiculous, I hate Blizzard art.

The Protoss and Zerg units sound like they could add some depth to their races and make multiplayer more interesting if they're well-balanced.

Crystalkoen

For those asking if these will be Campaign units versus Multiplayer, remember that Heart of the Swarm, similar to Wings of Liberty, will be a single race's campaign (in this case Zerg). Wouldn't make much sense to introduce 3 new units for both other races simply for the AI to use (although something like the Shredder works in such a case, storyline gating early-on).

No, these are definitely multiplayer, and my jaw dropped at the possibilities of those Protoss units. Dicking with an enemy's buildings? Slowing/stopping unit creation and upgrades? Toying with resource gatherers? CLONING shit? If I weren't a Protoss player previously, that'd almost make me convert outright.

New Zerg units look micro-heavy. But very interesting.

Don't understand the battle hellion description, "great for fighting mixed forces using light troops combined with aoe attacks". Not seeing what that means/how that works.

Protoss units look weirdest--replication? new type of scouting? Could be game changer but will have to see in action.

Top Bottom