• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Mario Bros. U - Review Thread

dc89

IGN - 9.1
Kotaku - Yes
Polygon - 8.5
Destructoid - 8.5
Venturebeat - 83/100
Joystiq - 4.5/5
1Up - B+

Gameinformer -

New Super Mario Bros. U is a great game, but we can't stamp a score on it quite yet.

We played through the entire game, but the Wii U itself still needs an online update that will be ready for the system launch this Sunday. Until this update happens, any online functionality for New Super Mario Bros. U is simply not working. Nintendo could activate the update today, tomorrow, or Saturday. It's still up in the air. So until then we'll all just have to sit around and wait.

In the meantime, you should know that the offline parts of the game (which is probably 99 percent of it) are way awesome.

I'll do my best to update this! Someone asked for one in the OT

Finally hyped for the game and I like all the New Super Mario games.

I think the extra modes are going to be what makes this one stand out from the rest though.

Glad to see the level design is inspired though not all too surprising.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's nice for Gameinformer to wait until the Miiverse functionality works before giving a final note and review.

Other reviewers, take note.

Vire

Great scores, glad to see this game isn't the disappointment the 3DS version was.

Will pick up later when I finally get around to getting a Wii U.

TriGen

Nice reviews. I would probably enjoy it anyway, but it's good to see that it's getting, at worst, good reviews, and at best some 'great' ones.

Hiltz

I expected the visuals and audio to be rightfully criticized, but it's good to hear that the game is better than its predecessors in most ways.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not what a Mario 64 caliber game would get, but still, this has to be one of the best launch games of all time.

As much as I want another Galaxy game in HD, I wouldn't be shocked to see r next one based around the same structure as 64.

Glad to see great reviews coming in. I'll be DL'ing this day one.

Nibel

Hate the art style

Hate the music

Hate what you want

This is one of the best reviewed launch games of all time - you should give it a try when you have the chance to

TriGen

Right, but hasn't that more to do with Wii U system's features?

NSMBU has it bulit-in, where all the third-party stuff just has OS level Miiverse use. They must want to see how it's fully integrated, seems fair, though I understand why others would post theirs now.

.hacked

money-hat.jpg

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
Hate the art style

Hate the music

Hate what you want

This is one of the best reviewed launch games of all time - you should give it a try when you have the chance to

The music is what kills it for me. Thank god for those adorable singing yoshis.

braves01

Banned
We already knew it was going to be a 8.5-9.0 type of game. Waiting for every features to work properly before giving the final review just makes more sense.

Tag quote

It's scoring about 0.5 higher than I though it would, although numbered scoring is really dumb and doesn't matter anyways.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It's nice for Gameinformer to wait until the Miiverse functionality works before giving a final note and review.

Other reviewers, take note.

Agreed. +1 for journalistic integrity. Every other review is effectively incomplete.

Hate the art style

Hate the music

Hate what you want

LOL. I will be curious to see where it ranks in a couple of months.

Vire

Not what a Mario 64 caliber game would get, but still, this has to be one of the best launch games of all time.

Uh what?

Mario 64 (N64)

Super Mario World (SNES)

Super Mario Bros. (NES)

Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)

Tetris (Gameboy)

Halo CE (Xbox)

All beg to differ.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So is this game basically a HD version of the Wii game we've already got?

ASIS

Tag quote

It's scoring about 0.5 higher than I though it would, although numbered scoring is really dumb and doesn't matter anyways.
I never understood why the hate for numbers. I mean I get if you think the system needs a revamp, but scores are an easy way to estimate anything in life.

Top Bottom