• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super-Strain of HIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rorschach

The virus was found in a New York City man in his mid-40s who engaged in unprotected anal sex with other men on multiple occasions while he was using crystal methamphetamine
Talk about doing all you can to get infected with the virus short of injecting it in your bloodstream.

teiresias

The amount of gay men just casually having unprotected anal sex is astounding, it blows my mind to think people would even entertain the notion.

Wired

It's fucking incredible, how long would it take to exterminate this virus if (yeah yeah, big if) people used protection?

Edit: Spelling

teiresias said:
The amount of gay men just casually having unprotected anal sex is astounding, it blows my mind to think people would even entertain the notion.
Have you seen that documentary Sundance has been showing recently, I believe it's called "The Gift" or something to that extent? It's about HIV in the gay community and the amount of people who actually WANT to get it and host sex parties and whatnot that are geared towards that. It also goes into stuff about barebacking parties and how using condoms or asking about HIV is shunned upon. I believe the common thinking is that, if they get it they can have all the sex they want or some sort of ignorance. I've seen bits of it a couple of times, both of which I was pretty freaked out after watching. I can't believe people sometimes.

This article is even more scary, all the more reason for people to get a fucking clue about things.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
It is my belief that New York will is trying to bring down America from the inside. Better Quarantine New York from the rest of the world.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
DarthWufei said:
Have you seen that documentary Sundance has been showing recently, I believe it's called "The Gift" or something to that extent? It's about HIV in the gay community and the amount of people who actually WANT to get it and host sex parties and whatnot that are geared towards that. It also goes into stuff about barebacking parties and how using condoms or asking about HIV is shunned upon. I believe the common thinking is that, if they get it they can have all the sex they want or some sort of ignorance.
huh? How the fuck can anyone with an actual brain actually think something like that?

Justin Bailey said:
huh? How the fuck can anyone with an actual brain actually think something like that?
You know it's beyond me, the people do exist though, however rare. But yeah, unprotected sex is far too common in all cultures now, along with prostitution, cruising, and other actions that encourage or rather make it easy to spread disease. People are just plain stupid when it comes to getting their fluids mixed, it's sad, and I really don't think things will ever turn around for us in that area.

goodcow

DarthWufei said:
Have you seen that documentary Sundance has been showing recently, I believe it's called "The Gift" or something to that extent? It's about HIV in the gay community and the amount of people who actually WANT to get it and host sex parties and whatnot that are geared towards that. It also goes into stuff about barebacking parties and how using condoms or asking about HIV is shunned upon. I believe the common thinking is that, if they get it they can have all the sex they want or some sort of ignorance. I've seen bits of it a couple of times, both of which I was pretty freaked out after watching. I can't believe people sometimes.

This article is even more scary, all the more reason for people to get a fucking clue about things.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0355482/

aoi tsuki

Justin Bailey said:
i guess the bonus to this is that you could have unprotected sex all the time. i could see how some would see this as a form of invincibility, and as long as you don't develop symptoms, it's as if you don't have it at all. Denial can be that strong. Thing is, HIV isn't the only STD, and with having sex with multiple partners unprotected, you're opening yourself to a host of diseases, especially as your immune system degrades. Unprotected anal sex is especially dangerous IIRC.

Okay, I seriously don't know what's worse. The new SUPER HIV CHAMPION EDITION EX+, or the fact that people are trying to contract it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Divus Masterei said:
Well as long as it doesn't change the mode of transmission...

Now that would have me very scared. Can you imagine if a new strain of AIDS came out that could be passed around like a common cold...I'd be running for the hills.

ge-man

Grizzlyjin said:
Now that would have me very scared. Can you imagine if a new strain of AIDS came out that could be passed around like a common cold...I'd be running for the hills.

Good lord, as if worrying about bird flu wasn't enough.

teiresias

i guess the bonus to this is that you could have unprotected sex all the time. i could see how some would see this as a form of invincibility, and as long as you don't develop symptoms, it's as if you don't have it at all.

Well, even the non-super strains of HIV have variations, so someone already infected with HIV still is supposed to prevent exposure to HIV again because the last thing you need is a slightly different strain of HIV in your system on top of the one you already have.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Does this mean we get an 'And The Band Played On' sequel?

Jeffahn

Some good news...

If you're European (Caucasian) then you have about a 5% chance of being immune to AIDS and the same chance of being resistant to it.

Jeffahn said:
Some good news...

If you're European (Caucasian) then you have about a 5% chance of being immune to AIDS and the same chance of being resistant to it.

You got a site on that. I did a google search, though I had a site abou it and read a paragraph and thought it was a bit sus and realised it was from the KKK :lol

Drexon

Banned
Isn't there laws against having unprotected sex when infected? I know there sure are here in europe. And they should put you in jail (not prison) and make you call everyone you've ever had sex with and inform them that you have <insert dicease> and not let you go until you pass a lie detector test.

PS. If I ever found out someone was spreading a dicease knowingly and thought it'd open up a way to more sex, I'd just have to beat that person until his life's hanging by a thread. Doing anything like that is denouncing you have a brain at all, it's anti-intelligence. Not a violent person, but that just boils my noodle. :p

karasu

Watch that documentary called The Gift. It opens your eyes to some strange shit as far as segments of the gay community and the aids virus is concerned.

I really hope that didn't come out wrong.

Drexon said:
Isn't there laws against having unprotected sex when infected? I know there sure are here in europe. And they should put you in jail (not prison) and make you call everyone you've ever had sex with and inform them that you have <insert dicease> and not let you go until you pass a lie detector test.

PS. If I ever found out someone was spreading a dicease knowingly and thought it'd open up a way to more sex, I'd just have to beat that person until his life's hanging by a thread. Doing anything like that is denouncing you have a brain at all, it's anti-intelligence. Not a violent person, but that just boils my noodle. :p
I think the problem is that people knowingly have sex with HIV patients.

Fresh Prince said:
I think the problem is that people knowingly have sex with HIV patients.

Unfortunately that is true with some people, I know of one... Incidentally he's a drug user too. He thinks that as long as he's using protection and is "being careful", he can have sex with an HIV infected person on a daily basis... I think that's like playing russian rollete with your dick.

africa8jk.gif

On a serious note, this news is horrible.

Confession time, I'm not the smartest person in the world when it comes to protected sex... Me and my partner have recently decided to stop using protection... He was willing to drop it from very early on in the relationship, but I was strongly against the idea and insisted on using condoms for the first 7 or so months of the relationship, then I eventually caved-in in a "brain overpowered by dick" moment, and since I've been saying "well I've already done it once, damage is done [IF any], no use going back now"... That was about a month or two ago.

The facts: I never had unprotected sex with another person before this, while he has but only once. I never got tested, he did but only a month after his first and only unprotected sex incident (which occurred before I knew him).

What are my chances? I really want us to go get tested, but one part of me is dreading it and the other is saying "You'll just be wasting money on the test, you know you're most probably clear, stop being paranoid."

Thoughts?

Edit: Our relationship has been totally monogamous for the past 8+ months.

goodcow

Naked Snake said:
What are my chances? I really want us to go get tested, but one part of me is dreading it and the other is saying "You'll just be wasting money on the test, you know you're most probably clear, stop being paranoid."

Thoughts?

Aren't the tests free? Just go get tested.

goodcow said:
Aren't the tests free? Just go get tested.

Not where I live. They're not expensive though, about $25 for an HIV test, but I'd really like to do an all-out STD test, that would cost a ton more though.

In this case, the patient developed AIDS from 2 to 10 months after being infected. Usually, it takes 10 years for the average person infected with HIV to develop AIDS.
I know this is like looking for the silver lining on a tornado, but if symptoms show up much quicker, that could mean less inadvertent spreading due to years of ignorance?

Diablos

It's amazing that they still haven't found the origin of this virus. There's stories about monkeys, gay men, and a government or military experiment gone horribly wrong. Which one is it?

Mason

If you have unprotected anal sex with only one partner who does not have HIV, you're safe, right?

Also, side note: I wanted to see The Gift really badly when it came to a film festival near me a couple years ago but wasn't able to make it. How easy is it to get ahold of a copy?

Diablos said:
It's amazing that they still haven't found the origin of this virus. There's stories about monkeys, gay men, and a government or military experiment gone horribly wrong. Which one is it?

Gay military officer doing experiment on monkey gone terribly wrong.

FoneBone

Mason said:
If you have unprotected anal sex with only one partner who does not have HIV, you're safe, right?
Um, I'm not exactly an expert in biology, but it's not like it spontaneously generates...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom