• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super-Strain of HIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This comes at an odd time, because wasn't there news of an 'HIV VACCINE' a few weeks ago? Anywho, this is pretty scary. People really need to smarten up.

But yeah, I'm surprised GAF wasn't aware of the whole gay sub-culture that thrives on getting HIV. I read an expose in Rolling Stone a year or two ago, I believe they're called "Bug Catchers" or something to that effect.

edit: I found.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5939950

Quite an interesting read.

Diablos said:
It's amazing that they still haven't found the origin of this virus. There's stories about monkeys, gay men, and a government or military experiment gone horribly wrong. Which one is it?
As I found out by way of the KKK it is caused by a Jewish mutation of a protein or something :lol

ksinghsf

Naked Snake said:
What are my chances? I really want us to go get tested, but one part of me is dreading it and the other is saying "You'll just be wasting money on the test, you know you're most probably clear, stop being paranoid."

Thoughts?

The chance of being infected from one single encounter is generally low. Obviously, the probability increases the more you have unprotected sex. Also, the type of sex affects the ease of transmission-- for instance, unprotected anoreceptive anal sex (bottoms) is consider to be "high risk", whereas "topping", while still very risky, is statistically not as dangerous. If you're really concerned, just get tested 3+ months after the encounter.

BuG

Coincidentally enough, this short film, Team Red, is on SBS right now here in Australia, and it's all about people who are intentionally infecting specific corporate bigwigs. I'd never heard of this Team Red before so all I have is Google, and he's saying it's fiction. It sounds too unreal to be real.

edit: The credits say 'Department of Theatre, ra, ra, ra', so I guess it's fiction. Still freaky considering the same topic was being discussed here today. :p

edit2: You can watch Team Red on IFILM. It's a very good short film.

Crispy

In this case, the patient developed AIDS from 2 to 10 months after being infected. Usually, it takes 10 years for the average person infected with HIV to develop AIDS.

In a way this is a weakening of the virus. Normally you could infect hundreds of people before you even know you have HIV. Now you can infect much less because you know you have it sooner.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I am as paranoid as hell about safe sex and STIs etc. Like freakishly paranoid. Reading this makes me nauseous. I think I could develop serious issues re. sex/trust. There's a certain way I'd like to go about things in a relationship, but I'm worried people will think I'm crazy. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with unprotected oral sex, for example...is that understandable? If you're a gay guy, how would you feel if your partner wasn't OK with that?

pestul

Totally inappropriate but, soon.. everyone will really have aids. Your sister, your grandmother and your dog too. Better start quilting.

Star Power said:
But yeah, I'm surprised GAF wasn't aware of the whole gay sub-culture that thrives on getting HIV. I read an expose in Rolling Stone a year or two ago, I believe they're called "Bug Catchers" or something to that effect.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/5939950
Not Bug Catchers. Like in the article, they're called Bug Chasers. Dammit, I don't want to be mixed up with these retards! My body is fucking pristine!

Diablos

Within this online community, bug chasers revel in their desires, using their own lingo about "poz" and "neg" men, "bug juice" and "conversion" from negative to positive. User profiles include names such as BugChaser21, Knockmeup, BugMeSoon, ConvertMeSir, PozCum4NegHole and GiftGiver. The posters are upfront about seeking HIV, even extremely enthusiastic, possibly because the Web sites are about the only place a bug seeker can really express his desires openly. Under turn-ons, a poster called PozMeChgo craves a "hot poz load deep in me. I really want to be converted!! Breed me/seed me!" Carlos' profile on one Web site lists his screen name as ConvertMe, and he says he wants a man "to fill me up with that poison seed." His AOL Instant Messenger name is Bug Juice Wanted.
No words. Absolutely no words. Unbelievable.

3phemeral

Diablos said:
No words. Absolutely no words. Unbelievable.

That really disturbs the hell out of me. I can't imagine what situation you'd have to be raised in to really want something like this to happen to you. Are they really that desperate to belong to some sort of specific social network?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Diablos said:
It's amazing that they still haven't found the origin of this virus. There's stories about monkeys, gay men, and a government or military experiment gone horribly wrong. Which one is it?

My favourite is the story that it originated in free smallpox inoculations given by the US government to Africa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom