• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New swimming park in France: forbidden to dogs and hijabies.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Pubic hair, it does.

I can confirm that Olympic style swimming pool in Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands have the same kind of rules.

Nope, it doesn't. Sorry. Speedos aren't better because they "trap more pubes", LOL.

The reason normally given is this:

Why the enforced parading of Frenchmen's bulges? "Hygiene," says Emmanuel Dormois, a head pool attendant in Paris's 11th arrondissement. "Small, tight trunks can only be used for swimming. Bermudas or bigger swimming shorts can be worn elsewhere all day, so could bring in sand, dust or other matter, disturbing the water quality. By banning them outright, we're not forced to stand there measuring what can be defined as swimming shorts. I accept that some men feel very ill at ease wearing small trunks, but others don't mind."

But even that's bullshit as I don't wear my swim / board shorts for anything but swimming.

Zoe

I would find the "no shorts" thing more believable if it was because people try to pass off normal shorts as swimming trunks. None of this pubic hair crap. Y'all realize women's suits don't contain that either, right?

Miles X

Nowhere else has these rules and they seem to be doing alright. Speedos aren't more hygienic, they just more revealing.

Eh, imagine if someone did the ultimate public disgrace in the pool. Tight trunks/speedos is keeping that shit locked in. Shorts? nah.

lol @ the ignorant that thing it's either board shorts below ya knees or tiny speedos and nothing in between, educate yourselves.

Stupid racist mayor of a 5000 inhabitants city takes yet another stupid racist and illegal decision.

(This was the same guy who invited muslims to keep quiet during ramadan...).

PS: the "speedo rule" is because someone decided one day that people who wore shorts at the swimming pool didn't change before going in the water and should therefore be banned.

Elandyll

Banned
I think the rule is because of the pubic hair that can get out of loose shorts.
No, as a French person myself who would rather wear swim trunks rather than speedos or athletic swim trunks, I did some research as to why France bans large swim trunks in pools (nowhere else).

It's indeed for hygiene, but actually because people in large swim trunks, apparently, and specially kids, tend to go around and play in those like they are shorts, potentially bringing dirt and debris in the pool.
Add on top the mandatory feet bath (pediluve) and shower -before- entering a pool, and you'll see that France is in general pretty paranoid about the cleanliness of its guests for pools (and yes, pools are chlorinated in France).

About the news in op, if challenged (and it will be) it won't hold.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
It's indeed for hygiene, but actually because people in large swim trunks, apparently, and specially kids, tends to go around and play in those like they are shorts, potentially bringing dirt and debris in the pool.

I mean this is the reason they give, but it's a total fabrication.

People don't just turn up and swim in what they're wearing, who does that?

Bombless

"I don't wear my swimming shorts elsewhere."

Maybe, but plenty of other people do. It's the same thing here in Belgium and I'm completely fine with it.

The headscarf ban though, fuck that.

The chlorinated water is also a reason why swimming caps are (usually but not always) mandatory in French swimming pools. Chlorine isn't good for your hair.

Zoe

Add on top the mandatory feet bath (pediluve) and shower -before- entering a pool, and you'll see that France is in general pretty paranoid about the cleanliness of its guests for pools (and yes, pools are chlorinated in France).

I've never heard of that before. Is that the second blue picture?

I mean this is the reason they give, but it's a total fabrication.

People don't just turn up and swim in what they're wearing, who does that?

People in the US definitely wear their swimming trunks elsewhere before getting in the water.

Though people in the US generally don't believe in showering before getting in the water either.

The chlorinated water is also a reason why swimming caps are (usually but not always) mandatory in French swimming pools. Chlorine isn't good for your hair.

Now this is flimsy reasoning :lol

spekkeh

Banned
Even then I'd rather swim in someone's tiny bit of sand than in their piss, and the speedos ain't blocking that. Luckily there's chlorine for both. French people just want to be special.

water-parks-for-kids-schlitterbahn.rend.hgtvcom.1280.720.jpeg
look at these plebs, disgusting /s

Elandyll

Banned
Even then I'd rather swim in someone's tiny bit of sand than in their piss, and the speedos ain't blocking that. Luckily there's chlorine for both. French people just want to be special.
Wait...

You think swim trunks "block" pee in water?

o_O

cwmartin

Only the french could convince themselves they are actually being progressive by severe limitation on swimming attire.

Only the french could convince themselves they are actually being progressive by severe limitation on swimming attire.

"the french"

lol

This is very clearly a nationwide, government approved, parliamentary sanctionned policy that will not be annuled by courts of law.

sheesh...

azyless

Or you know, only one mayor of a town of 5 000 that will probably have his ban revoked by the justice anyway.
And even then I doubt he thinks of himself as progressive in any way.

I don't think the issue is only with this insignificant mayor. It would be hopefully outlawed, but a majority of french approved the (illegal) ban of burkini last year:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/20...opposee-au-port-du-burkini-sur-les-plages.php

How lucky we are that we're not governed by polls or referendums then.

(But yeah I'm expecting yet another summer filled with essential controversies regarding women attire because that's clearly what we should focus on)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm completely fine with this. I am of course correct in assuming that it is also forbidden to wear a cross around the neck, a nun's outfit or a priests outfit, right?

Mimosa97

It's not just the american south that has far right loonies who'll do anything for publicity. This mayor is a well known anti-muslim bigot. France isn't banning the hijab in swimming pools ffs.

Anyway soon you'll have an update on this topic about how a higher judicial entity ruled against the ban and how hijabi women are allowed to swim freely in the swimming pool. Stop giving so much attention to far right bigots. They don't deserve it.

I'm completely fine with this. I am of course correct in assuming that it is also forbidden to wear a cross around the neck, a nun's outfit or a priests outfit, right?

Of course it's not forbidden for those type of outfit, you cannot use the common french racist deflection in this case. Find something else.

It's not just the american south that has far right loonies who'll do anything for publicity. This mayor is a well known anti-muslim bigot. France isn't banning the hijab in swimming pools ffs.

Anyway soon you'll have an update on this topic about how a higher judicial entity ruled against the ban and how hijabi women are allowed to swim freely in the swimming pool. Stop giving so much attention to far right bigots. They don't deserve it.

Does the OP have anything in it to indicate that french is banning hijab in swimming pools nationwide?

xrnzaaas

No shorts rule is weirder. Reminds me of the clubs that won't let you in unless you're wearing a certain type of boots.

azyless

No shorts rule is weirder. Reminds me of the clubs that won't let you in unless you're wearing a certain type of boots.
It's in a park, people are going to go sit down or play football on the grass in their shorts and then bring all that shit in the water.
I also don't know about other countries but here I always see dudes putting their shorts on top of their boxers and just swimming like that, which doesn't seem super hygienic.

LQX

I can agree about dogs. I fucking hate seeing dogs on beaches. Leave your fucking dogs at home.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
This shorts thing is both new to me and fucking ridiculous.

I swim in board shorts, that's what they're for. I'm not wearing a fucking speedo, jesus christ. What a backwards-ass rule.

I can agree about dogs. I fucking hate seeing dogs on beaches. Leave your fucking dogs at home.

Why? I love bringing the dog to the beach.

Some of you need to chill the fuck out. Thank god I live in Canada.

Top Bottom