• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Tales of Symphonia Q&A (US)

DrDogg said:
Also, the Japanese voice overs are gone, so no option for Japanese voices. Supposedly due to space limitations.

There's no "supposedly" about it...that's exactly why. This game has hours upon hours of speech, and the Japanese version has even more than that. ToS isn't on two discs because of the video, I can tell you that...there isn't much at all. I don't think the GameCube audience is ready for their first four-disc game, and I don't think Namco is ready to pay that extra expense just to include a feature that very few people would use.

DrDogg

Okay man... chill. I didn't want to say it was fact and then have half the forum jump down my throat saying they could've fit it (MMAC anyone?). Instead I avoid saying it's fact and I still get corrected. lol

Link316

Banned
interesting, he dodged the question about the PS2 version instead of just flat out saying no like when asked about the Xbox

kiryogi

Banned
Dual language audio track is almost never an option for GC games.. and I said almost not all :p

NH: There are ~300 face skits in the game. The jokes were changed in order to make sense in English. But in Zelos' case, the jokes had to be toned down a tad bit because he can be a bit...vulgar at times. Don't worry though, his personality still comes through!

no more boob jokes!
sadsmall.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Link316 said:
interesting, he dodged the question about the PS2 version instead of just flat out saying no like when asked about the Xbox

That probably means that Namco is considering releasing the PS2 version at this point but haven't actually decided one way or the other.

ferricide

dark10x said:
That probably means that Namco is considering releasing the PS2 version at this point but haven't actually decided one way or the other.
MoxManiac said:
Maybe they want to see how the GC version sells first?
doubtlessly.

my feeling is that the future of the tales series in general in the US is pretty much riding on this game, let alone the TOS PS2 port in specific. i can totally see them doing the PS2 version -- if this sells well. after all, the localization is already done. they'd just need to touch it up for the PS2 version's added bits. i also imagine that whether or not we get tales of rebirth is also contingent on this game.

kiryogi

Banned
Would be nice if they recoded it then the slop job that the PS2 version is turning out to be so far.. a pipe dream but eh :D

ferricide

kiryogi said:
Would be nice if they recoded it then the slop job that the PS2 version is turning out to be so far.. a pipe dream but eh :D
why are people so negative about the PS2 port? it wasn't at TGS last year (so none of you have played it) and japanese magazines never say anything substantive about preview code (if at all.) the screens don't look bad. i don't get it.

Zelos is still pretty funny and very chauvinist (sp?). There is actually a reference to Sheena's boobs (they are easily twice as big as any other girl's), but it's made by the other girls in an incident in the hot springs. Also, Sheena's status screen character art shows her bending over and squishing them together.

DrDogg said:
Okay man... chill. I didn't want to say it was fact and then have half the forum jump down my throat saying they could've fit it (MMAC anyone?). Instead I avoid saying it's fact and I still get corrected. lol

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound rude or anything. Just making the correction before a bunch of people jumped in and started complaining about no Japanese voice option. It's really not feasible at all.

SantaC

Hey I saw that you reviewed the import version of ToS at planetgamecube. 9.0 When is the US version up for a review?

kiryogi

Banned
ferricide said:
why are people so negative about the PS2 port? it wasn't at TGS last year (so none of you have played it) and japanese magazines never say anything substantive about preview code (if at all.) the screens don't look bad. i don't get it.
Recent press screens released were showing horrible bg textures and aliasing up the wazoo.

I'm just not sure why they aren't moving on Tales of Phantasia on the GBA. You'd figure, at least, that NOA would publish it.

john tv

Kobun Heat said:
I'm just not sure why they aren't moving on Tales of Phantasia on the GBA. You'd figure, at least, that NOA would publish it.

That does indeed sound like a great idea, but I couldn't possibly support this action by NOA until they got FE6 localized and released. THEN we can talk about other companies' RPG projects. :)

john tv said:
That does indeed sound like a great idea, but I couldn't possibly support this action by NOA until they got FE6 localized and released. THEN we can talk about other companies' RPG projects. :)
I get the feeling like it's coming. They're pimping the GCN version which would seem to suggest that the GBA one was enough of a success. OMG maybe there will be connectivity!!!!!1

AniHawk

Kobun Heat said:
I get the feeling like it's coming. They're pimping the GCN version which would seem to suggest that the GBA one was enough of a success. OMG maybe there will be connectivity!!!!!1

We'll probably get FE IX instead of FE VI though.

SantaCruZer said:
Hey I saw that you reviewed the import version of ToS at planetgamecube. 9.0 When is the US version up for a review?

The embargo ends on July 5th. So hopefully that day, although I need to finish up a few things on it.

ferricide

i assume that if TOS does well namco would consider doing TOP for GBA. it's not like GBA games really age badly, after all.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Deku Tree said:
I hope ToS is a success in the US so that we get more tales games.
I'll be doing my part! Hopefully if this game sells very well on the GameCube (which would be awesome in of itself) my PS2 only brethren can enjoy this game early next year?

AniHawk said:
We'll probably get FE IX instead of FE VI though.

I think so too. But maybe NOA reconsideres the decision to bring FE6 to the US if FE7 sells good in Europe too. It is just a slim ray of hope but one nonetheless.

ERZ

Top Bottom