• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New terminology guidelines for Unreal Engine just dropped

I'm just sitting here wondering what the inclusive terminology replacement is for 'blacklist' and 'whitelist' and I'm drawing a blank

Also, you can no longer 'nuke' your spaghetti code, I wonder what the inclusive terminology replacement for that is

I wonder if the people who write these things know that ships have been referred to with female pronouns since antiquity

I'm just sitting here wondering what the inclusive terminology replacement is for 'blacklist' and 'whitelist' and I'm drawing a blank

Also, you can no longer 'nuke' your spaghetti code, I wonder what the inclusive terminology replacement for that is

I wonder if the people who write these things know that ships have been referred to with female pronouns since antiquity

The majority of the industry has gone woke DEI/ESG.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Ok so here is what we do, we have John Carmack drop everything he is doing and put all of his effort into inventing a method to clone himself. That should take 2-3 years tops. Then we have the original Carmack continue working on AGI, we have Carmack 2 work on VR, we have Carmack 3 work on rockets, and we have Carmack 4 work on 3D game engines and programming. Problem solved.

Mr.Phoenix

Block and Allow
Clear
Just ships? Everything actually. Now for this one, I am with you.

How did we advance this much as a species while being this fucking dumb?
Didn't you know? We have been dumbly stumbling our way into scientific breakthroughs. Just look up stainless steel, penicillin, the microwave....etc.

All dumb fucking luck.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I didn't see a source to know if that's verified, but it's expanded from the first time I saw this style of guideline a few years back. It used to just be master/slave and blacklist/whitelist from what I remember. It was retarded then, and it's extra retarded now that it takes issue with "A poor man's X".

Robb

Gold Member
Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

Welp, I’m just happy I’m not a game dev and have to work around all this stuff and the people who make these things up.

Hudo

nah, Unreal, I'll use continue to use the terms that I think are describing a concept perfectly. The last thing I want it is to obfuscate shit even further when I have to talk about technical things. Communication's purpose is to convey information so that others can understand it.

Soooo they are racist towards the French now I guess 🤷‍♂️

German is now illegal, I see.
If you want to keep it simple, it turns out that all European languages have explicit gendering of proper nouns except Modern English.

I'm being very specific here because while Modern English is a Germanic language, Old English and Middle English both still had the same gendering of nouns that the ancestral Germanic language root that became High German did today but it was lost for rather interesting historical reasons involving the Saxons of what was once called Albion and the Viking raiders from what is today Norway who often plundered the coasts and interior of the island. (As seen, very historically inaccurately, in Assassin's Creed Valhalla.)

Essentially, the woke mind virus of today can only exist because Modern English, alone of all European languages today, lost this gendering. All Romance languages (Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian), Germanic languages (German, Swedish, Dutch, Norwegian), Slavic languages (Russian, Polish, Ukrainian) plus the unique Greek language retain gendering to the present day.

Last edited:

Red5

If you want to keep it simple, it turns out that all European languages have explicit gendering of proper nouns except Modern English.

I'm being very specific here because while Modern English is a Germanic language, Old English and Middle English both still had the same gendering of nouns that the ancestral Germanic language root that became High German did today but it was lost for rather interesting historical reasons involving the Saxons of what was once called Albion and the Viking raiders from what is today Norway who often plundered the coasts and interior of the island. (As seen, very historically inaccurately, in Assassin's Creed Valhalla.)

Essentially, the woke mind virus of today can only exist because Modern English, alone of all European languages today, lost this gendering. All Romance languages (Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian), Germanic languages (German, Swedish, Dutch, Norwegian), Slavic languages (Russian, Polish, Ukrainian) plus the unique Greek language retain gendering to the present day.

Some NGOs here tried to butcher Arabic because like French and German it assigns gendered pronouns to everything, from things like tables, cars to natural like trees and mountains to animals, dog is usually male and cat is female.

So you get some state department NGOs headed by blue and pink haired idiots trying to change a 4,000 year old language and culture to suit their 10 year old world view.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Gold Member
It feels like some old news here cause Whitelist/Blacklist was changed to Allowlist/Blocklist in other places years ago.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

So basically we are exporting culture and unresolved problems in the U.S. and the “cures” they think are safe and sound and proper to everyone else…

Sounds…

Colonial…
csi miami deal with it GIF

mdkirby

Well that was an unexpected by appreciated lesson in etymology 🤣

Hypereides

Gold Member

This has to be a joke. I refuse to believe someone put this into motion.

Hudo

I know. If you took a latin class in school, it basically tells you most of the evolution of certain language properties in europe, including Germanic languages.

I was just trying to make a joke since this "don't assign genders to things that don't have a gender" is such an American perspective to take that I sometimes wonder if these people just deny the existence of everything else outside US or just don't care.

Top Bottom