• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trend of releasing higher priced version of a game earlier

Trup1aya

Shipping logistics is a real issue. However the physical ultimate edition also launches earlier, It's not just the digital edition.

And why not release the other digital versions earlier as well?

There are so many holes in this theory for this practice that it doesn't hold up. Early access solely for the ultimate edition is nothing more than a way for MS to push people towards that edition.

Ofcourse it's it's designed to further incentivize the Ultimate Edition. There was a time when the UE didn't include early access... They took an logistical convienience and used it to sweaten the pot on a preexisting offer. I don't see why it's a problem. There is a difference between rewarding customers who invest the most, and inconviencing those who don't. People who buy the standard version aren't getting anything less or later than they normally would.

Why not give all Digital owners the game ahead of the street date? If I had to guess retailers aren't to fond of the existance of the UE. They'd likely be less excited if their physical versions were further disadvantaged in the competition against Digital. If you owned a game store how happy would you be to find yourself pushing and helping advertise a game, only to have even more of your customers choose to go digital because for the same price they can play it earlier? Publishers are surely interested in preserving their retail presence at this point.

Zafir

No it doesn't. They press and ship these versions a few days earlier as well.
So why can't they press the others a day earlier?

Sure you can just wait but this is nothing more than publishers wanting to convert people into spending the extra on the ultimate edition. I don't know how people can swing this any other way lol.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
There is ZERO price difference between Horizon 2's Ultimate Edition and Horizon 3's. The only difference? You get it earlier. Is it a move to hopefully get a few more sold? Sure. Did it affect the price? Nope. So, how is this bad again?

How is this a move to increase launch day prices? NBA has done this with preorders for three years. Last I checked, this didn't increase launch day prices? It just gave those a chance to play over a weekend. Fuck, even Call of Duty has done this in the past.

this isnt horizon 2, its a new release horizon 3. we cant compare them.

the take home message is "early release (along with other perks) = higher launch price". this is not a good trend folks. whether or not you would buy the UE with or without it and see it only as a "thank you", or can wait 4 extra days for the $60 launch, is irrelevant.

Im okay with this if devs eased the burden elsewhere

For example, giving free maps and content that is otherwise paid for. But we all know they will just charge on top of early access, which means early access is going to end up as a slippery slope

packy34

So why can't they press the others a day earlier?

Sure you can just wait but this is nothing more than publishers wanting to convert people into spending the extra on the ultimate edition. I don't know how people can swing this any other way lol.

I don't think anyone is trying to say it isn't. What we're trying to say is - who cares? You're not losing anything by paying regular price and waiting a few days. Or even by waiting months and paying fractions of the price. The game is the same.

vort3x

I know Gears is doing it but you also get a season pass with it so if you were going to buy the season pass its worth it. I'm not sure about other games. If they don't have a season pass or any valuable reason to get it than no point.

Yeah Gears 4 is doing it too. Guess it might become a standard for MS's big franchises. I don't like it. Nickle and diming the diehard for early access is gross. That's why I'm just going to stick with my $50 version of Gears 4.

Zafir

I don't think anyone is trying to say it isn't. What we're trying to say is - who cares? You're not losing anything by paying regular price and waiting a few days. Or even by waiting months and paying fractions of the price. The game is the same.
Some people are with the retail discussion nonsense.

I've already argued before I think it's bad for MP games which a lot of these are. In fact I find it to be a problem anyway because it is taking advantage of people.

Huddy

This reminds me of a few years ago when my local cinemas would only show the 3D only version of a new movie for the first weekend so they could attempt to profit. They don't bother with this today as consumers who didn't want 3D just waited, I'm guessing the same will happen here.

Doikor

I'm fine with it as long as you are not paying for the actual early access. In Forza Horizon 3 case you are paying for the car pass and vip (vip already comes with deluxe edition giving the car pass a value of $20 in the ultimate edition which is the same price as buying it separately) with the early access thrown in for the Ultimate edition buyers.

darkace

Banned
Though I tend to agree the way the early unlock for Forza Horizon 3 seems fair, I can see it be misused in the future. Therefore I can not agree with your statement that it's basic supply and demand and because of that it can't be bad. I don't feel entitled and can certainly wait a few days to play a game, but I find it a scary thought that a, by virtue of it's nature, reward, is locked to pre-orders, which are bad for consumers, and a lot of people (that pre-order) don't seem to care.

How is giving consumers choice bad for them?

Chaser324

Banned

NBA 2K16 did it last year as well. However, in the case of both games, they were still the typical $60. It was basically just a pre-order bonus.

Both situations (pre-order bonus at standard price or more expensive edition) seem fine to me. In the case of FH3, you're even getting reviews before the early access date, so there's no substantial risk involved in not knowing what to expect.

Wubbys

I like it. I went with the ultimate edition of gears 4 not for the map pack or skins but since I can have the whole weekend to play the game. For me 40$ is worth a weekend of entertainment.

Are there any games where the difference is literally to play it earlier? I don't think it's bad at all to make more premium versions have earlier access, but if the difference becomes the early access, then it's bad.

Justinh

Are there any games where the difference is literally to play it earlier? I don't think it's bad at all to make more premium versions have earlier access, but if the difference becomes the early access, then it's bad.

I thought the Battlefield 1 Early Enlister edition would be that (given its name), but apparently that comes with some content packs/skins/whatever. Not anything that looks too interesting, but it's only 20 dollars more, so fair enough I guess.

NewDust

How is giving consumers choice bad for them?

Because lots of consumers can't (or won't) fully comprehend the extend of these "choices". Gamers are slowly drip fed changing business models, slowly being changed in thinking what is "acceptable". Again I don't see an issue with the handling of the early access to Forza Horizon 3 per se, but the cynic in me sees ways for publishers to fuck up it up badly, but where the consumer already is conditioned to not really care.

Also I don't really like pre-order culture. It's weakening the consumer, who has a lot to lose without much gain. In case of Forza, it all seems to go well, but what if they didn't releas a good game. What if the embargo wasn't lifted for release? What if after several ours of "early access play" you deemed the product not worthy?

I get this seems all really hypothetical, but in the end I rather am careful than careless. And I see a lot of people that don't seem to care at all*.

*until someone fucks it up.

Tjamato88

Not a big deal to me. I'm not sure how this could become an issue honestly. If you want to spend $80 or $100 to play a game early then go for it but it won't impact me IMO.

Zojirushi

Like almost all of the annoying trends in this industry it just leads to me buying less, playing less and ultimately caring less.

Buying a game on release day for $60 is basically paying more to play earlier.
The price drops the longer you wait.

Day 1 games are $60.

I usually wait a month or so and its $40.

Now, a new "Day 0" tier has been added for some extra money.

I literally thought this thread was going to be about how games drop faster these days from their $60 price.

$99 dollar early access... Ridiculous, I'm sure releasing both versions on the same day is impossible. It's not like they are even releasing the expansion/Season pass day one.

I can't wait for the day when they release ultimate/100$ editions a month before the actual release date.

I remember a thread like this made by a friend regarding Forza 6. The general consensus was, "deal with it, no big issue."

Think this is a trend that's probably here to stay.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
...have you actually followed the Deus Ex thing or what?

People were told to pre-order the game, if enough did the game would unlock more rewards, higher one was early access

Can you see the difference or are you just trying to stir shit up?

So now preordering a game won't grant you early access, unless you're spending well over $60. That's the difference I'm seeing. The whales get dibs even though they could release it to everyone.

Great huh?

If pointing out that gamers were upset over one bullshit practice, while being fine with another is stirring shit up, then yeah; I guess I am.

¯_(ツ)_/¯ I def contributed by buying the battlefield 1 ultimate edition that comes with premium.
also 2 copies of PS4 early enlister edition. One for my best friend and one for me.

danowat

Banned
As long as there are people who will do it, it will exist.

I am actually surprised that more releases didn't catch on and do it when FH2 first did it 2 years ago.

Personally, I don't like it, I've done it before, but its a fool errand really, I don't have the time available to capitalize on the few extra early days release, and the extra added value items don't actually add anymore enjoyment (for me) to the game, so I'll just stick to the pauper edition from now on.

I probably wouldn't be so anti if it stopped at the £80, but it doesn't, FM6 also got two carpacks and two expansions that weren't covered by the car pass, it starts to get a bit crazy when the game ends up costing upwards of £100.

IMO this would actually make more sense for pre ordering nowadays. At least for digital, it would be a much better reward (for some people of course) to play the game earlier. I know I would pre order some games just for that.

darkace

Banned
Because lots of consumers can't (or won't) fully comprehend the extend of these "choices". Gamers are slowly drip fed changing business models, slowly being changed in thinking what is "acceptable". Again I don't see an issue with the handling of the early access to Forza Horizon 3 per se, but the cynic in me sees ways for publishers to fuck up it up badly, but where the consumer already is conditioned to not really care.

Also I don't really like pre-order culture. It's weakening the consumer, who has a lot to lose without much gain. In case of Forza, it all seems to go well, but what if they didn't releas a good game. What if the embargo wasn't lifted for release? What if after several ours of "early access play" you deemed the product not worthy?

I get this seems all really hypothetical, but in the end I rather am careful than careless. And I see a lot of people that don't seem to care at all*.

*until someone fucks it up.

It just seems to me like a hypothetical that has never really happened. Until it does it's essentially just fear-mongering without basis.

MilkyJoe

I would never buy a super delux edition to play the game early. If people wants to that, fine by me, but I won't.

But I can see how more and more publishers will do this, and it sucks.

Agreed, MTs is the worst.

I'm here on both points.

In the other thread your man was saying it's anti consumer. I reply it's 4 days difference. It has little to no bearing on anyone's life or enjoyment of the game. I understand it's a bit money grabbing, but it's not out-right wankiness like DLC.

ShinAmano

I like it. I went with the ultimate edition of gears 4 not for the map pack or skins but since I can have the whole weekend to play the game. For me 40$ is worth a weekend of entertainment.
This...but I have gcu so only really spending extra 20...aka price of the season pass...but the weekend play was the big win here. Games should be released on friday.

danowat

Banned
I'm here on both points.

In the other thread your man was saying it's anti consumer. I reply it's 4 days difference. It has little to no bearing on anyone's life or enjoyment of the game. I understand it's a bit money grabbing, but it's not out-right wankiness like DLC.

When the only way to get said 4 days is to buy a bundle with a season pass and "VIP" access in it, yeah it is a little bit wanky.

I'm surprised at how many people are fine with this. The games that are doing it right now, I don't really care for, but if they did this to a game I actually wanted, I would be upset. Yes I can just pay extra for the "Ultimate Editions", but I typically don't want all that extra stuff. I just want to play the game.

I've bought the Ultimate Edition of Forza 6 and Horizon 3, but not Gears 4.

I don't buy it for the early access, but for the car-passes and such. With Gears, there's no worthwhile additional content, so I'm satisfied with the standard edition.

IMO this would actually make more sense for pre ordering nowadays. At least for digital, it would be a much better reward (for some people of course) to play the game earlier. I know I would pre order some games just for that.
Yeah I actually think it's a good kind of preorder incentive. I think the point of contention here is that it's limited to the most expensive SKU. Still, four days is not a big deal.

jeffc919

I don't like it. As others have said, it gives a bit of an advantage in MP games to those that get in earlier, learn the maps, get more unlocks, etc. I started a thread specific to BF1 about this last week. Like I said then, I'm mildly annoyed. This isn't the end of the world but I still don't like it.

I'd be less annoyed if it was more of a reward and less of a complete cash grab. For example, preorder the game...get it a few days early; or play the beta...get it early; or even buy the season pass...etc. But for BF1 it's really pay us $20 and you get it earlier, and we'll throw in a few truly cosmetic things too to make it have the appearance of being less of a complete rip off. I'd be willing to fork over more $ if the value proposition was more than just getting the game earlier. It's a small amount of $ in the big scheme of things but I don't like feeling ripped off.

I'll also add that with the "early" release on a Tues and the general release 3 days later on a Fri it has more of the feeling that the $80 edition is just getting it on time and everyone else gets it late, since traditionally most games release on a Tues. I know I'm nitpicking here.

TNH853

i need my games on day one because i fear spoilers. imagine story games like last of us playing a week later. this would basically mean no internet for this time.

E92 M3

Nothing wrong with it. People have a choice to buy or not. Also, I can buy the UE edition for 80 from Amazon due to Prime. Great deal for interested folk.

misterck

It's a great way of shifting a lot of copies before reviews hit!

Terrible games can be major succeses before a single review is out.

Caayn

If you were a CFO from a publisher you would do the same.

People will buy it.
I'm a consumer, I don't care about the CFO keeping his/her job or not. All I see, as a consumer, is a "Fuck you for not purchasing the uber-ultra-hyper edition version of our product.".

Top Bottom