• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New(?) Unreal 3 Pics

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The character models are spectacular, but for some reason I don't find the environments as stunning. The urban environment looks good, particularly if all the "destruction" apparent happened dynamically (well, I'll be floored if it was), but the outdoor field environment doesn't look to be the same step up from UE2 as the characters are. But of course, it's still early..

FightyF

Banned
If you consider the detail in the terrain, and especially how it's being lit, it's quite impressive.

Epic has never had artists adept at getting a realistic visual. UT 2003 and 2004 are good examples of this. Though the technology for both games is quite good, the games never looked that photorealistic...IMO it's the color palette and texture work.

MaddenNFL64

Fight for Freeform said:
IMO it's the color palette and texture work.

Yeah, it is. The textures have very little detail. The ground textures, though more high res, look the same as textures used for any MX, or ATV dirt track circa 2002-2003 :\. But look at the little details like this grass patch in the foreground

image1.jpg

Add some detail to the textures, change the color palette to a more realistic tone (like S.T.A.L.K.E.R's), and you've got a great looking game.

Tellaerin

It amazes me how so many aspiring art critics here can look at these screenshots and bitch about the 'bad art', yet collectively ignore the bland, generic artwork on display in many (usually big-name) titles, especially when it's a game they're looking forward to playing. :p

MaddenNFL64

Tellaerin said:
It amazes me how so many aspiring art critics here can look at these screenshots and bitch about the 'bad art', yet collectively ignore the bland, generic artwork on display in many (usually big-name) titles, especially when it's a game they're looking forward to playing. :p

Well, umm...

Look over there!

*runs away*

Gattsu25

Banned
Tellaerin said:

image3a.jpg

MaddenNFL64

I don't really care about the art myself (I just know it can look better), but you pulled the trigger, so I went with it ;).

Tellaerin

*shrug* That Gollum-oid thing is no worse (and arguably better) than many of the designs in Doom 3, just to name one example. Yet Doom 3 threads aren't filled with cries of 'bad art' or 'id has great tech, but needs better artists'. If people are going to make themselves out to be arbiters of taste, they need to put every game under the same magnifying glass, rather than exempting certain titles from criticism because they like/want said titles. :p

Gattsu25

Banned
Tellaerin said:
*shrug* That Gollum-oid thing is no worse (and arguably better) than many of the designs in Doom 3, just to name one example. Yet Doom 3 threads aren't filled with cries of 'bad art' or 'id has great tech, but needs better artists'.

It's no-one's fault but your own that you missed out every Doom3 thread since it's Apple unvieling. Only these past 2 months have Doom3's art been spared from the wrath of the art critics

Edit: pic no work = no funny

Tellaerin

Gattsu25 said:
It's no-one's fault but your own that you missed out every Doom3 thread since it's Apple unvieling. Only these past 2 months have Doom3's art been spared from the wrath of the art critics

Edit: pic no work = no funny

Well, I would've mentioned Halo/Halo 2 first (the first game suffered from lackluster, generic SF character designs, and the sequel seems poised to follow in its footsteps, judging from the screenshots released so far), but merely implying that some facet of Bungie's baby might be less than perfect is usually enough to stir the hive into a killing swarm. So I figured I'd name something a little less controversial to start with. :p (And from the sound of it, I'm probably better off for not having paid attention to most of the Doom 3 threads here, to be honest. :) )

The point remains, though: If people here want to criticize art, then no game should be spared their scrutiny. That's part of wearing the critic's hat. :)

Tellaerin said:
*shrug* That Gollum-oid thing is no worse (and arguably better) than many of the designs in Doom 3, just to name one example. Yet Doom 3 threads aren't filled with cries of 'bad art' or 'id has great tech, but needs better artists'.

Early on DOOM 3 got ripped quite a bit for its art. Mainly the plastic looking characters. Other recent popular games to get ripped on the art are stuff like FFXII and Wind Waker.

Today its very rare for a games art not to get ripped apart, it doesn't matter if its Eastern or Western. Unless it's just really good or something unique it's going to take a beat in the art department.

Izzy

Banned
Most impressive. Outdoor sections are astounding considering that all the lighting in the game is dynamic(no lightmaps). Wow!

akascream

Banned
I don't like the outdoor environments, you lose all the dynamice shadow/lighting goodness!! Still very cool though.

DSN2K

Tellaerin said:
*shrug* That Gollum-oid thing is no worse (and arguably better) than many of the designs in Doom 3, just to name one example. Yet Doom 3 threads aren't filled with cries of 'bad art' or 'id has great tech, but needs better artists'. If people are going to make themselves out to be arbiters of taste, they need to put every game under the same magnifying glass, rather than exempting certain titles from criticism because they like/want said titles. :p

GAF has been hating DOOM 3 art for nearly 3 years, I think most are just bored of the subject. :D

FightyF

Banned
The point remains, though: If people here want to criticize art, then no game should be spared their scrutiny. That's part of wearing the critic's hat.

I criticize pretty much any game that isn't done.

Plus I'm working on a UT 2003/2004 MOD, and I understand that the engine is capable of more photorealistic visuals if you have artists with the right mentality.

As I said, when you consider all the things UE3 is doing, it's incredible. But with different developers and artists working on this, it will be even more impressive.

I don't like the outdoor environments, you lose all the dynamice shadow/lighting goodness!! Still very cool though.

I see where your coming from, but do keep in mind that once you walk underneath a tree, some of that lighting goodness will show itself.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Unreal 3: "No, your card won't run it. Ah-pa-pa...NO."

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
xabre said:
Bitching about the art of an engine (not even a real game yet), has a new low been reached?

IAWTP. LOL!

The tech is super impressive. Too bad we won't see a game (with good art! :p) using this for another 2.5 years.

FightyF

Banned
you bad art people piss me off to no end...

Most of the art discussion is subjective really. I think that if a game was released looking like this, I'd still appreciate it. Others may despise it. You have to accept other people's opinions. Plus, if they choose to voice it on these forums, I see no wrong in that, unless they are basing it on faulty assumptions, then by all means correct them.

I'm just critiquing some elements which I feel explain why some people may not be impressed. It has nothing to do with the technology, but rather how it's used. Look at the Forza Motorsport discussion...a game that is supposed to look realistic, and it has an awesome engine that could achieve it, yet it still doesn't look realistic, because it's not used appropriately.

As I mentioned Epic hasn't captured a realistic look in their past games, and there's nothing wrong with that. Obviously, their focus is on gameplay, and they've made some of the funnest games I've ever played.

A game like Splinter Cell, made on the Unreal Engine, looks incredibly realistic because of the artists...they can do realism. Epic's artists haven't really demonstrated that they can.

Personally I like Epic's designs. The mixture of alien/techno characters is something I find interesting, and it makes sense for fast paced games like UT. The locals and levels are wonderous and interesting IMO.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
its not bad because its not japanese. its bad because it looks like they stole some leftover costumes from a B sci fi movie.

Phoenix

First question: what is this running on.

Next question: when will that be affordable by the common man.

Final question: will the gameplay, audio, and networking be anywhere near on par as the graphics.

I've seen a lot of graphics to get sexed up for but lately the best looking games have not been the most fun games for me. Too much attention is being paid to physics and shaders and not enough to actually having a game worth looking at. I just hope the industry as a whole hurries up and reaches maturity with shaders so I can be impressed with gamplay again and not polycount, drawrate, and graphics card cost.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Phoenix said:
First question: what is this running on.

Next question: when will that be affordable by the common man.

Final question: will the gameplay, audio, and networking be anywhere near on par as the graphics.

I've seen a lot of graphics to get sexed up for but lately the best looking games have not been the most fun games for me. Too much attention is being paid to physics and shaders and not enough to actually having a game worth looking at. I just hope the industry as a whole hurries up and reaches maturity with shaders so I can be impressed with gamplay again and not polycount, drawrate, and graphics card cost.

theres a rumor (started by XBN) that this unreal engine 3 game (?) is running on xenon hardware...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
jenov4 said:
I hope this is the kinda stuff we can expect from the next generation consoles! *wipe drool*
It is!

This engine is being specifically catered to all next gen consoles and PCs. This is pretty much what we'll be seeing within the next two years.

Dylx

i dont know what everyone is thinking but that looks amazing............the art direction is good to me

Hajaz

when i saw these scans i was reminded of the first munch screens on xbox myself too.
The problem is is that they are scans. If you look at the proper pics that were released after e3 youll see that much doesnt hold a candle to these graphics.

FriScho

Fleming said:
SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the first word in my message, Einstein? Right: SPOILERWARNING.
So thank you for your redundant posting.

Malakhov

Banned
Very nice. I wonder in how many years we'll see these type of graphics on consoles, heck, even PC. We've just been hit by the technical marvel that is Doom 3 and already we see screens of something that looks even better.

Top Bottom