• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Virtua Fighter 5 magazine ad (PS3/360)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
McDragon said:
No release in japan?

i remember seeing news of it.

Virtua Fighter 5: Online in Japan is an impossibility, mainly due to the connection speeds being too fast. It gives the game a wacky Bernie Hill sense speed. Plus Sega has their Japanese Arcade market to think about! Oh noes!

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
I'm looking forward to the sales figures for the 360 version:

1) Good sales. The Xbox demographic stop pretending to like Dead or Alive now they have a good fighter and buy VF5 in droves.

2) Poor sales. The Xbox demographic actually prefer the Dead or Alive series, a sure sign of poor taste.

BlueTsunami said:
Virtua Fighter 5: Online in Japan is an impossibility, mainly due to the connection speeds being too fast. It gives the game a wacky Bernie Hill sense speed. Plus Sega has their Japanese Arcade market to think about! Oh noes!
Was this a sarcastic statement? (cuz I don't understand it otherwise).

MCD

BlueTsunami said:

:lol

Flek said:
5xf8ya0.jpg

A little bitter? :lol

TheDuce22

Banned
Geezer said:

1) Good sales. The Xbox demographic stop pretending to like Dead or Alive now they have a good fighter and buy VF5 in droves.

2) Poor sales. The Xbox demographic actually prefer the Dead or Alive series, a sure sign of poor taste.

Uhh, DOA 4 is a quality fighting game. I dont understand why some people feel the need to crap on it. I mean ive played at least 500 matches online and never felt like the game lacked balance or strategy. And the combat flows better than any other fighter out there. I also find it funny that you look forward to the sales figures more than the actual game.

Barnolde

Banned
Geezer said:

3) Poor sales. Sent to die in one of the most crowded holiday seasons ever.

TheDuce22 said:
Uhh, DOA 4 is a quality fighting game. I dont understand why some people feel the need to crap on it. I mean ive played at least 500 matches online and never felt like the game lacked balance or strategy. And the combat flows better than any other fighter out there. I also find it funny that you look forward to the sales figures more than the actual game.

Good point. The animations and online play make up for the fact that it's a crummy game overall.

I don't and will never understand. If DOA is such a crappy, lackluster fighter, why does it typically score admirably well whenever it is reviewed? The same applies to the entire series actually. I am not saying it is the absolute best fighter on the market and admittedly it does have flaws, but it is a quality fighter imo and apparently lots of reviewer's opinions as well.

Barnolde

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
Well if YOU say its crummy it must be true. Give me a fucking break.
Well if YOU say it's good, it must be true. Give me a fucking break. Even if DOA4 was set in Bed, Bath and Beyond, it couldn't hold a candle to VF4 or 5.

McDragon said:
Is there any other fighting games this holiday on the 360?
No, but there's a couple other titles you may have heard of; Halo and Call of Duty.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Ouch, definitely not helping the PS3 cause and that shit needs all the help it can get.

The irony is, PS3 has the only playable online fighting game in the history of fighting games -- right now. :p

Zonar

chespace said:
Ouch, definitely not helping the PS3 cause and that shit needs all the help it can get.

The irony is, PS3 has the only playable online fighting game in the history of fighting games -- right now. :p
boxart_pal_dead-or-alive-4.jpg

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Damn..does anyone know what gamestop is giving for VF5 ps3? Looks like i'm going to have to trade for the 360 version...

chespace

McDragon said:
Your hate for Team Ninja is really something, chespace.

Don't turn this into hate for Team Ninja. I love the Ninja Gaiden games.

I've never liked DOA4.

:lol @ barnolde hopping on the defense train.

We should play PDZ sometime. Oh wait...

MCD

chespace said:
Don't turn this into hate for Team Ninja. I love the Ninja Gaiden games.

I've never liked DOA4.

So DOA2, DOA3 or DOAU were better? or do you hate the series as a whole?

TheDuce22

Banned
Barnolde said:
Well if YOU say it's good, it must be true. Give me a fucking break. Even if DOA4 was set in Bed, Bath and Beyond, it couldn't hold a candle to VF4 or 5.

Remove the strict timing requirements of VF, add smoother transition animations and give every character counters and you have DOA.

Barnolde

Banned
chespace said:
:lol @ barnolde hopping on the defense train.

We should play PDZ sometime. Oh wait...
Defense train? I thought it was a funny move by Sega. Saying the game won't sell has nothing to do with it, they should have brought it out earlier, but now it'll just get lost. It's a shame, because a good Sega developed game is so rare these days and needs all the sales it can get.

I'd rather shave my nuts with a cheese grater than touch that atrocity again, btw how's the cushy MS office :lol ;)

TheDuce22 said:
Remove the strict timing requirements of VF,
then you don't have VF...

chespace

Barnolde said:
Defense train? I thought it was a funny move by Sega. Saying the game won't sell has nothing to do with it, they should have brought it out earlier, but now it'll just get lost.

I'd rather shave my nuts with a cheese grater than touch that game again, btw how's the cushy MS office :lol ;)

Hahaha, fucking master ninja is here to throw in a :lol

The DOA series has always been more about graphics over competitive gameplay so my opinion of the franchise is that it's a second-rate fighting series.

My particular beef with DOA4 has more to do with just how crummy the online experience is over Live, while admittedly the gameplay is improved in subtle ways over previous DOAs.

Those of you who have never tried playing it online need not reply.

Oh, and life at MS is just fine, thanks. It's nice to be able to come to TGS and not have to live for 3 days in Makuhari and scramble to write up impressions after an appointment, etc. It was nice to hang out with Jane, Mark, Ryan and the whole crew though!

MCD

Playing online is all about the distance and your connection speed.

but then again, it could be DOA4 shitty netcode, we will know soon enough with VF5.

and chespace, sorry if i sounded hostile to you, didn't really mean to offend you or something.

btw man, tell Turn 10 to give their fans some new tracks, the wait is killing them.

vag 2.0

chespace said:

SF3: Third Strike is perfectly playable online on the 360 with backwards compat.

chespace said:
The DOA series has always been more about graphics over competitive gameplay so my opinion of the franchise is that it's a second-rate fighting series.

My particular beef with DOA4 has more to do with just how crummy the online experience is over Live, while admittedly the gameplay is improved in subtle ways over previous DOAs.

Assuming you are playing people with "Green" connections, the online gameplay is fine. Just like Tekken 5DR, however, both games need to be played differently to compensate for lag. I expect VF5 to be no different in this respect. DOA4 is the only DOA game I will defend as being good because it is actually tournament worthy, DOA3, for example, was pretty busted.

TheDuce22

Banned
chespace said:

Who would have thought someone who was paid to review games could be so ignorant. Do you really think people would STILL be playing it online if the experience was horrible. Its virtually lag free and has one of the better communities around.

Barnolde

Banned
chespace said:
Oh, and life at MS is just fine, thanks. It's nice to be able to come to TGS and not have to live for 3 days in Makuhari and scramble to write up impressions after an appointment, etc. It was nice to hang out with Jane, Mark, Ryan and the whole crew though!
Sellout! :D
you and Luke are lucky bastards
though the 1up show hasn't been the same without you guys.

Now, I know you have a strong desire to play online with me, but a REAL FPS comes out in just a few days.

vag 2.0 said:
SF3: Third Strike is perfectly playable online on the 360 with backwards compat.
So is Guilty Gear, but the biggest problem plaguing those is the d-pad. That should be a marketing bulletpoint on the box for the arcade stick
- Makes SFAC playable!

chespace

TheDuce22 said:
Who would have thought someone who was paid to review games could be so ignorant. Do you really think people would STILL be playing it online if the experience was horrible. Its virtually lag free and has one of the better communities around.

I haven't played DOA4 online for well over a year now so I'm not sure if they patched the netcode or what. But I did play it pretty regularly for the first couple months of its release because I was jonesing that hard for an online fighting game.

If the game is virtually lag free now, then I'll pop my copy back in after I get back to Seattle. :)

Nonetheless, I've been playing Tekken 5 and have been very impressed with how lag free it is -- even over my wifi PS3 connection. :lol

chespace said:
If the game is virtually lag free now, then I'll pop my copy back in after I get back to Seattle. :)
DOA4 has been patched, but honestly I think what helped the most is that people with shit connections stopped trying to play it online a year ago.

chespace

a Master Ninja said:
DOA4 has been patched, but honestly I think what helped the most is that people with shit connections stopped trying to play it online a year ago.

That's not what I call good netcode but I'm glad it worked out for you and your kind.

Grayman said:
Sales start to fall flat when the developer says your console has the shitty version
PS3 sales of VF5 were poor way before anyone knew the 360 version would have online.

News that VF5 360 would be online came out about 4 months after the PS3 version was already out.

chespace said:
I said playable. DOA4 is a piece of shit.
LIES! I went back to it tonight and had a blast, its not the best fighting game ever made but it is quite fun and PLAYABLE online if you stick to your region and don't have cable modem speeds from 3 years ago.

Too many haters.

TheDuce22

Banned
The problem was rarely related to cable modem speed or distance from your opponent. I used to play a poster here (Gunstar?) who lives on the east coast, and it was basically lag free. The main issue was some routers caused all kinds of problems with the game and most of the people using them were uanware. I had this problem with DOA 3 and as soon as i replaced my router it ran flawlessly. The other odd thing is every other game ran perfectly fine. Its just something thats in the DOA netcode that fucks up certain routers.

Top Bottom