• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Weight Loss Before/After thread! Pics ahoy!

Seanspeed

Banned
C'mon, don't be depressed. It's 20 pounds. That's literally a few weeks of work to fix.
Maybe more than a 'few' weeks, but yea, it's not the end of the world. If you've lost 75lbs before, you clearly know how to do it now, so just get on it. You'll be back to it in no time.

JCX

Finally steadily losing weight, about 2-3 lbs per week. It's encouraging that the process is working, but I feel a bit like I'm behind when I see friends who lost 40 or more pounds in just a couple months.

Seanspeed

Banned
Finally steadily losing weight, about 2-3 lbs per week. It's encouraging that the process is working, but I feel a bit like I'm behind when I see friends who lost 40 or more pounds in just a couple months.
Never expect more than 2-3lbs a week. That is fantastic progress already. Even 1lb a week is nothing to be unhappy with if you're keeping it up.

It's not a race man. Stick with it and results will come.

FStop7

Banned
Pic update.

Before (Sep 14)

111132xwukr.jpg

After (Today)

11113343u5d.jpg

'sup Weight Loss GAF.

I've tried a few times over the last couple of years to lose some weight, but I always fall back into my old ways. I figure posting here will help motivate me to make some changes.

On New Year's Day 2010, I made a resolution to lose some weight. I was around 20 stone (280lbs), and wanted to get down to around 13 stone (182lbs), which is a weight I'm most comfortable at (I'm 6ft, for reference). I set myself a target loss date of 1st July 2010. Pretty tough, right? Well, after going on my treadmill for pretty much every single night for 180~ days (and not eating as much crap), I weighed myself on 1st July 2010, and had reached my target; a few pounds under, in fact. A 7 stone loss in 6 months. Around 4lbs per week on average. I maintained this weight for the rest of the year, but over the following 4 years, slowly went back into my old ways, and I'm now at around 18 stone again (I've not weighed myself yet, but that's about right, I reckon).

I want to be 13 stone again. I'd love for this to happen in the same period of time - by the end of the year - but realistically due to how my life and routines have changed since then that's probably not realistic. I don't have any hugely personal reasons for wanting to do this, it's the usual; feeling healthier, looking better, being more confident...I'm sure most of you reading this understand. Other motivations are my mother who has lost several stone and got pretty fit for her age over the past year and a half or so, and the fact that I have a shitload of clothes from 5 years ago that I no longer fit into. Oh yeah, and the fact I turn 30 next year. That's become a really weird thing on my mind recently.

So, the plan:

- Treadmill every night. At first I did 30 mins, then as I got fitter, upped it. Eventually went to 1 hour, and another 15 mins or so on my rowing machine (which I no longer have...but could get one again).

- Cut the crap food. I eat a lot of bad stuff. I've had so many takeaways and bad meals out in recent months. I need to stop. A treat now and again, sure, but I need to cut a lot out from my current diet.

- Stop smoking. I didn't smoke when I lost all that weight, and it's certainly not going to help me now. There's so many reasons I need to stop this. I've done cold turkey before, and I'm going to try again. If I struggle, I'll try a Vape or something.

I think the main challenge is the fact that the last time I did this, I worked from home, and basically hermited myself. Now, I work in an office, and usually go out drinking on a Friday night. Most of the people I work with smoke, too. That'll be fun. I'll just have to suck it up and focus on my goals.

I'm going to weigh myself on Sunday night and report back here next Sunday with how the first week has gone. Over the weekend I will read through this thread for some added motivation.

So, wish me luck on my journey, guys. I've done it before and I know I can do it again.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck my body, it always does this. Whenever I lose a good amount of weight I put most of it back on. I was at 8lbs down for the month but gained 4lbs this week without a change in diet. I've been really struggling the last couple of months. Next week is my 1 year weight loss anniversary as well.

Fuck my body, it always does this. Whenever I lose a good amount of weight I put most of it back on. I was at 8lbs down for the month but gained 4lbs this week without a change in diet. I've been really struggling the last couple of months. Next week is my 1 year weight loss anniversary as well.

I'm at this stage at the moment, have been for some time. Just keep at it, try to mix things up. For me, changing my breakfast every few days helps, as does occasionally shifting some calories over between meals, so I have a slightly smaller meal than usual and a slightly larger one. And most of all persevere. It's a life change, so don't get frustrated if it doesn't go down how you'd like it because you've made the important change and the results will come with time. :)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at this stage at the moment, have been for some time. Just keep at it, try to mix things up. For me, changing my breakfast every few days helps, as does occasionally shifting some calories over between meals, so I have a slightly smaller meal than usual and a slightly larger one. And most of all persevere. It's a life change, so don't get frustrated if it doesn't go down how you'd like it because you've made the important change and the results will come with time. :)

Here's my graph, it's just a bit up and down lately. I'm going to cut my calories back, ATM I'm on enough to lose 1lb a week, I'm going to change that to 1.5lbs per week.

Here's my graph, it's just a bit up and down lately. I'm going to cut my calories back, ATM I'm on enough to lose 1lb a week, I'm going to change that to 1.5lbs per week.

Looks to me like you're doing great, as long as you're on a downward trend.
What app are you using for that?

Subaru

So I'm trying to lose weight again... *sigh*

9th June: 131.5kg / 289.90 pounds
8th July: 122.6kg / 270.28 pounds

No exercise yet, just diet. Monday I'll return to gym =D

oh man. 2 days of bad eating. had like 3 slicess of that hotdog crust pizza from pizza hut. but TBH while it's bad it was 3 small slices that equates to 1.75 large slices lol

the day before i had some BBQ ribs. that fat though.

all these temptations.

On day 4 of my pre-op diet for my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy and had my pre-test today at Harper hospital. All they needed to do was to get my blood type just in case that I need a transfusion during surgery.

Still on for surgery on 7/13/15 (Monday)!

Fistwell

82 this morning (181lbs, right)
Hmmm, kept losing a little bit over the week, down to 79ish this morning (79.2Kg, 174.6lbs). Haven't really changed much recently (eating habits or exercise), dunno what made me lose a cple of Ks in a week (edit: wait, lol, that's 2 weeks, not one... still, pretty weird). I mean, I'll take it, and I don't think I'm sick or anything, but this is kinda weird ater having stalled for so long.

oh man. 2 days of bad eating. had like 3 slicess of that hotdog crust pizza from pizza hut. but TBH while it's bad it was 3 small slices that equates to 1.75 large slices lol

the day before i had some BBQ ribs. that fat though.

all these temptations.
Eh, temptations happen. It's fun to indulge every now and then. As long as you're serious most of the time you'll pull through.

On day 4 of my pre-op diet for my Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy and had my pre-test today at Harper hospital. All they needed to do was to get my blood type just in case that I need a transfusion during surgery.

Still on for surgery on 7/13/15 (Monday)!
Best of luck, dude! :D

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Today is my one year weight loss anniversary! In the year I have gone from:

21st 3lbs to 15st 7lbs (297lbs to 217lbs)
55" chest to 45" chest
52" waist to 43" waist

I'm not done yet but I'm really happy to have made it to a year, hopefully by next year I will be completely done.

Fistwell

55" chest to 45" chest
52" waist to 43" waist

I'm not done yet but I'm really happy to have made it to a year, hopefully by next year I will be completely done.
Good job dude! It's not just the magnitude of the weight loss (although you certainly have lost a lot), but it's also being able to stick with it. It's pretty awesome you're able to keep losing one year later (+/- the occasional setback that happens to everyone).

Congrats on the hard work paying off! :D

SeanR1221

55" chest to 45" chest
52" waist to 43" waist

Awesome brother! Keep it up!!

So, errr, just had my first weigh in. I've lost 6.8 lbs since last Sunday. Nearly half a stone. I am *genuinely* shocked by that. I figured it'd be about 4 lbs as I've done really well. How did I do it? Looking at the goals I posted last week...

- Treadmill every night. I didn't even do this. Did 20 mins on 5 nights, so 1 hour 40 mins total. However, in work I've been walking a lot more, on breaks and at lunchtime. A pedometer I downloaded has me at about 50 mins - 1 hour walking per day, so added to the treadmill time, it's about 6 hours of walking at a decent pace a week.

- Cut the crap food. I've done superbly with this. Took a look at my diet, cut out a load of crap and replaced it with healthier stuff. I've never been a huge fan of fruit or salad, but I've done a well enough job of having lower calorie meals and snacks. LOTS of chicken, which I love. I've cut out the likes of fizzy drinks, pastries, red meat, chocolate...MyFitnessPal is truly a godsend.

- Stop smoking. I haven't had one in 9 days. Haven't craved one either. Completely cold turkey.

I can easily keep up this routine and smash my target by the end of the year. :D

psychotron

So I'm down 56 lbs and now my hair has started thinning like mad. I started taking biotin and GNC mega man vitamins a few weeks ago hoping it would help. No family history of baldness. Wtf!

Azulsky

Well, tomorrow is my surgery and I leave tonight at 3:30 AM. First time I'll ever have regular anesthesia.

Anesthesia is not a big deal imo. You get a drip and wake up x hours later a bit groggy and dehydrated feeling.

Best of luck on the recovery, we are rooting for you.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Started adding some cardio to calorie restriction to help keep me on pace. Feels pretty nice to be a little achy again.
So, errr, just had my first weigh in. I've lost 6.8 lbs since last Sunday. Nearly half a stone. I am *genuinely* shocked by that. I figured it'd be about 4 lbs as I've done really well. How did I do it? Looking at the goals I posted last week...

I can easily keep up this routine and smash my target by the end of the year. :D
Good shit dude. Don't be surprised if you gain some of it back as water with big swings here or there, just keep on track!

kris.

Banned
So I've been dieting since March. I started around 315, and weighed in at 294 as of yesterday morning. Went to the store today because a pair of jeans ripped and I need to buy some new ones anyways. MOTHERFUCKERS I'M OFFICIALLY DOWN A SIZE. I haven't been able to fit into 38s in YEARS. Feels amazing. No pics because I feel like there really isn't that much of a difference in appearance yet. But yeah, this feels fucking awesome. Add me on MFP! uhhkris

So I've been dieting since March. I started around 315, and weighed in at 294 as of yesterday morning. Went to the store today because a pair of jeans ripped and I need to buy some new ones anyways. MOTHERFUCKERS I'M OFFICIALLY DOWN A SIZE. I haven't been able to fit into 38s in YEARS. Feels amazing. No pics because I feel like there really isn't that much of a difference in appearance yet. But yeah, this feels fucking awesome. Add me on MFP! uhhkris

You'll start feeling the difference in your face soon, I don't really see any when I look down but someone showed me a picture from before I started dieting and there is noticeably less fat around my cheeks and neck.

kris.

Banned
You'll start feeling the difference in your face soon, I don't really see any when I look down but someone showed me a picture from before I started dieting and there is noticeably less fat around my cheeks and neck.

Man, I hope so. I'm so sick of having a baby face.

Azulsky

It happened really suddenly going from chubby cheeks to paneled looking face for me.

That's honestly how I've felt it happen for any particular fat bearing area. Which is probably more of a result of the way you stop paying attention for some time and then one day you notice.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How have people dealt with their loose skin? I have serious depression regarding mine, and it's not as bad as some people's, I just can't get over it. I avoid women just in case there's a spark because I know I'd never pursue it due to my skin, how fucking depressing and sad is that? When I was 300lbs+ I was lonely and sad because of my weight, now I'm still lonely and sad because of my skin. I think once I've lost another 7lbs or so I will try a GoFundMe campaign as I will never be able to afford roughly £10k myself. For me it's arms and belly that are the worst, followed by chest, back and legs.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
so ive decided to throw my hat in the weight loss game before i die or kill myself. been watching obese to beast on youtube and felt some sort of inspiration. my life is sucking right now so i dont know if i can do this or not and especially after eating a large steak&cheese sub, large fries and a cheese burger for dinner.

I'm doing MUCH better than I was doing the last few days.. I didn't really ever believe how much the gas pain was going to be.. but it was horrible!! No kind of pain medication helped at all. AT ALL!! :(

I was finally able to fart Wednesday morning and was able to sleep last night. (I didn't get any sleep from 13-15th. The pressure was that bad)

Today is much better and now I've had two premier proteins, a propel, and water so far today with my chewable vitamins. 2 neat side effects from surgery is that I don't have hunger and my body temperature (funny story, I thought I was having a fever but once I used my thermometer, I found out my temp was 97.5!). I'm officially a cooler person! :D

Hopefully the main port pain (more of a mild burning sensation if my binder rubs it wrong or I move just wrong) will go away soon. Thanks for all the nice comments that I saw when I was suffering!

(Btw the hospital rainbow jello was nasty, so was the beef broth)

Azulsky

How have people dealt with their loose skin? I have serious depression regarding mine, and it's not as bad as some people's, I just can't get over it. I avoid women just in case there's a spark because I know I'd never pursue it due to my skin, how fucking depressing and sad is that? When I was 300lbs+ I was lonely and sad because of my weight, now I'm still lonely and sad because of my skin. I think once I've lost another 7lbs or so I will try a GoFundMe campaign as I will never be able to afford roughly £10k myself. For me it's arms and belly that are the worst, followed by chest, back and legs.

You can greatly improve its appearance by lifting weights. Not going to remove scars but it will fill it out greatly. This is a few if not several years of work. It will also help you a bit with your confidence issues as it is an activity that has slow progression and hard work involved.

Reality is that everyone is self conscious about their body. Bringing it up to someone you want to date is something we are just going to have to handle rejection potential over it.

They are definitely out there you just have to look. If someone is going to pass me over because of it then good riddance.

Plus if I wanted to die alone I wouldn't have gotten healthier in order to drag that process out.

I'm doing MUCH better ...

Glad to hear, keep it up!!

Fistwell

Is anyone doing Couch to 5k? I just finished day 1 of week 2 and I think I died. This is brutal.
Hi there! A lot of people here have been doing cardio to help with weightloss. I didn't do that particular program but I did start from pretty much zero about 15 months ago, so I can sympathize to some extent. It is pretty fucking brutal in the beginning. It gets better and easier (eventually). Don't be shy about lessening the load a bit if your body can't keep up. Better to slow down for a week rather than to break down and give up. Your body needs to get used to what probably is a pretty new kind of effort for it. It's hard but it's also good. If it's being difficult/exhausting, it means your body is doing some serious adaptation work. Stick with it for great results! ;D

FStop7

Banned
I pulled some numbers out of the iOS health app, today. I started the weight loss thing in early June of 2014. I didn't get the phone until October. So there's 4 months of data missing. That said, I've carried it with me nearly every single day since I got it.

From 10/18/14 through 7/17/15 I have walked/jogged/ran 860 miles, or 1.6 million steps, and lost exactly 100 pounds. I had already lost 40 pounds between 6/14 and 10/14. So the total weight loss is at 140.

But yeah, that's what it's taken, along with eating better. And that does include the fact that the month of May 2015 was pretty much a wash - I was basically on vacation that entire month. I was working out, but not as efficiently. And I was eating more. Not a lot of junk, mostly very good food. But a lot of it. So I basically stayed even that whole month.

Thanks for all the nice replies for the last couple of days. Will be saving up for an AT&T branded unlocked LG G2 to take even nicer pictures (the price/performance ratio is outstanding on it, great camera too) of my progress.

Azulsky

I pulled some numbers out of the iOS health app, today. I started the weight loss thing in early June of 2014. I didn't get the phone until October. So there's 4 months of data missing. That said, I've carried it with me nearly every single day since I got it.

From 10/18/14 through 7/17/15 I have walked/jogged/ran 860 miles, or 1.6 million steps, and lost exactly 100 pounds. I had already lost 40 pounds between 6/14 and 10/14. So the total weight loss is at 140.

But yeah, that's what it's taken, along with eating better. And that does include the fact that the month of May 2015 was pretty much a wash - I was basically on vacation that entire month. I was working out, but not as efficiently. And I was eating more. Not a lot of junk, mostly very good food. But a lot of it. So I basically stayed even that whole month.

That's awesome. How much do you think you need to lose total?

I've lost 10 lbs in the past month. Walking as a means of transportation, cutting fast food and going back to a Japanese diet are attributable. That and cutting my alcohol.

Good shit dude. Don't be surprised if you gain some of it back as water with big swings here or there, just keep on track!

Thanks buddy. Just had my weigh in after week 2. Lost 3.4lbs this week, exactly half of my first week. I was thinking/hoping for around 4lbs, so I'm happy with that. That's 10.2lbs in 2 weeks. Probably too much but it will slow down.

Enjoying the journey! That's half the battle right there. Keeps you at it.

Azulsky

Thanks buddy. Just had my weigh in after week 2. Lost 3.4lbs this week, exactly half of my first week. I was thinking/hoping for around 4lbs, so I'm happy with that. That's 10.2lbs in 2 weeks. Probably too much but it will slow down.

Enjoying the journey! That's half the battle right there. Keeps you at it.

The important thing is that the changes you are making are ones that are sustainable.

TMONSTER

Some progress pics from when I started intermittent fasting in 2012. Cut down from 220lbs to 175. Lost a ton of strength from my bench press but manged to keep most of my strength in my other lifts. Goal now is to get my bench back while staying around 185.

sidecomp49uf2.jpg

frontcomp0oujg.jpg

backcompqzumu.jpg

Some really amazing pics and it gave me de confidence to share my own story :) :

3 years ago now I weighed a lot more then I should have. At the highest point I was about 74kg and looked like this:

(Edit: photos down the post)

And often at school when people joke about each other well, the weight was ofcourse one of the jokes that kept coming back. Someone did take a step to far with his jokes, funny enough later he became my best friend and even helped me with losing weight :)

Three years later I look like this:

(Edit: photos down the post)

at about 54kg.

The reason I wanted to lose weight was because it was my last year at school and I figured now was the time to start fresh. I am going to the gym 3 times a week for the past 2 years, spilled a year because of the wrong training method (didn't eat enough but kept training heavenly resulting in a far greater weight loss then I wanted.. Really didn't like eating anymore, glad I got back on the right pad or it might have gotten anorexia I fear)

the second year I trained with all the right stuff like weight gainer and whey and all kind of milky products etc.. And kept that going for a year. Now my third year I do my training at home and I am a bit more relaxed about the whole whey etc. I'm glad I took the chance to change myself, it will benefit me forever :)

Edit: How do you upload photos :( can't figure it out
Edit2: Photos uploaded now: http://imgur.com/a/OVWvq

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Ate horribly today. Burger king, movie nachos then some Japanese food with soda. i felt bad so i stopped by the new balance factory store and bought some jogging sneakers. dont know if i will use them or not. i really really want to lose this weight.

Great work! Same sentiment from me.

Its like that standard inspirational quote, except its the victorious version

"Today, I am glad that I started (a) year(s) ago"
Yeah it sounds really standard but it's true really. I was always like 'Yeah I do want to lose some weight... *opens bag of chips*' But if you REALLY want to do it everyone is strong enough to I believe :) Only strange thing I have now is that I weigh myself multiple times a day... Still worried i'm gain weight etc, hope that goes away after some time..

Ate horribly today. Burger king, movie nachos then some Japanese food with soda. i felt bad so i stopped by the new balance factory store and bought some jogging sneakers. dont know if i will use them or not. i really really want to lose this weight.
You can do it if you want :) Everybody can if they want. So if you really put your mind to it you will get to your goal. Go for it!

Azulsky

Yeah it sounds really standard but it's true really. I was always like 'Yeah I do want to lose some weight... *opens bag of chips*' But if you REALLY want to do it everyone is strong enough to I believe :) Only strange thing I have now is that I weigh myself multiple times a day... Still worried i'm gain weight etc, hope that goes away after some time..

I still weigh myself daily. Over the course of a week I can fluctuate up and down about 4 lbs based on water, etc.

Worth the 30s investment every day to keep me from veering off course.

Top Bottom