• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii U accessories, Nintendo Land + Wiimote, and White 32GB Wii U announced

Damian.

Banned
I have seen two sets of 4 Wiimote Nyko batteries not able to hold a charge longer than a few minutes after a year into ownership. I didn't use the 3DS extended battery long enough to see if it had any degredation. Hopefully the Power Pak is high quality. It certainly took them long enough to get it released.

You guys might want to wait for reviews on the Nyko batteries before jumping in as Guinea Pigs. Last I checked, there was some minor concerns about it using a different battery technology. Either way, I guarantee you're going to get better quality going Nintendo than Nyko in the long run.

Tuck

I want a Wii U in white. So I hope this comes to Canada. Though, if the basic bundle drops to $199.99, I'll probably just get that.

Nekofrog

Banned
reggie-whats-wrong-with-you-gif.1795

wii-u-battery-blurry.jpg

It kind of sucks; I wanted a white Wii U, but I also wanted a 32GB one. So now I have this black one, and I kind of want the white one.

There's no way I'm trading in to buy it in white though.

bomblord

Banned
Don't forget this too!

8GBDDR5 RAM Pack!

images

Is that what the mystery port on the bottom of my gamepad is for?

this is sarcasm

On topic
Honestly I've never had a problem with my gamepad battery i just leave it plugged in while I play but this seems like a better solution I will probably get one.

Also, why is Nintendo announcing all of this stuff before E3?

Finally, I was gonna go buy some more Nyko Charge packs but I have gone through several just because they burned up for being left on the cradle too long.

Thank you Nintendo :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kind of odd announcements, frankly.

Obviously this is coinciding with Pikmin 3 and NSM Luigi U in July, but just a new color doesn't seem like it will do much.

DoubleTap

Already have the Nyko pak on the way. If it craps out, then I'll get the Nintendo version. $25 is not that big of an investment. Anything is better than the shitty stock battery at this point.

Kind of odd announcements, frankly.

Obviously this is coinciding with Pikmin 3 and NSM Luigi U in July, but just a new color doesn't seem like it will do much.

It's almost like there is going to be some huge industry wide event in the coming weeks that they'd be saving big announcements for.

Or Nintendo has absolutely nothing and they've just blown their entire load....

/sarcasm.

Nekofrog

Banned
Nintendo made a Zelda game he didn't like and he's been like this ever since.

Oh, right, that's ABSOLUTELY what it is.

It's not the fact Nintendo is constantly finding new ways to completely rip off their "loyal" fan base, while they turn around and swallow their shit happily. If you're more than happy to drop $350 on a console that, at BEST, is a complete disaster, then drop more money to make it barely functional, then feel free. I'm just going to be there to call bullshit on it.

The ironic thing? These are the same people who will be the first people there to cry about DLC, map packs, and other things that other companies use to make money. It's fucking hilarious.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I told you guys the White Wii U was getting discontinued in favour of a version with more space. ;) I don't need the battery, your screen loses a notch of brightness when you unplug it.

jay

It's not the fact Nintendo is constantly finding new ways to completely rip off their "loyal" fan base, while they turn around and swallow their shit happily. If you're more than happy to drop $350 on a console that, at BEST, is a complete disaster, then drop more money to make it barely functional, then feel free. I'm just going to be there to call bullshit on it.

The ironic thing? These are the same people who will be the first people there to cry about DLC, map packs, and other things that other companies use to make money. It's fucking hilarious.

I was just kidding. Selling a better battery five minutes after releasing the console is bullshit. You do have that scorned lover temper, though.

#1: That's not ironic.

#2: Do you have proof that it's the same people? Or are you just being tired and hyperbolic? (serious question, by all means you can link to users posts in this thread who've done both)

#3: Unrelated, but you quoted "loyal" as if you were referring to them as sarcastically being loyal, but then imply that they are loyal... So yeah, not sure what you were going for there.

(edit) #4: If that's your real pic as your avatar... you look like Husky Starcraft.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's funny how people always want the colored system they don't own.

If a system launches in white, everyone ooohs and aaaahs when a black one is announced and vice versa. It happens all the time lol

jimi_dini

If a system launches in white, everyone ooohs and aaaahs when a black one is announced and vice versa. It happens all the time lol

I disagree.

I always want white. Wanted a white DS. Got one.
Wanted a white Wii. Got one.
Wanted a white PS3. Sony didn't want to sell one in Europe. Had to import from Hong Kong.
Wanted a white Wii U. Nintendo onlyreleased the proper edition in black.

At least now I will definitely wait until they release this beauty in Europe. Otherwise no deal. Sony got lucky because they made PS3 region free.

Wii U technically launched in both black and white, although only the gimped 8GB version currently comes in white.

I honestly just wanted it in white to match my Wiimotes, but I wanted the 32GB one. So I have it in black.

Fox Mulder

Except glossy piano black is always shitty. Even worse when they make the faceplate of the controller you hold in your greasy hands the same finish.

I think it's funny to see Nintendo go down the accessories road with the wiiu struggling. Gotta milk the early adaptors for more money. Why wasn't there a wiimote charging stand before? Why did the WiiU launch with a shitty gamepad battery? Would have been nice to have a wiimote bundled in earlier.

I guess I'll buy the wiimote charger, and white premium.

OzPinoy

Banned
It would be funny if Japan get the Transparent clear WiiU before the West. That sh!t will drive my inner rabid nintendo fanboi to rebuy the console again. Leaving my black WiiU with dust.

SmokeMaxX

PROTIP: The Wii Remotes have a bad tendency to drain the batteries even when the system is off. Remove the batteries completely when not in use and you should find they will last longer.

This is no joke. I have them in a little bin and if there is any movement at all, they start blinking for like 5 minutes.

I was about to jump on the Basic @ Target for $239 but with new premium bundles coming I should probably wait until after E3.

man I can't decide $239 is pretty good.

Meelow

Banned
Yesterday I said "Nintendo will probably make the White Wii U have 32GB soon and a price drop"

I was half right, now lets see about the price drop lol.

Me too. Hopefully some GAF guinea pigs can test them out for us :).

I just got mine last night and installed it. I set it on the charging dock and was pretty sure I saw an orange light. Checked it this morning....still an orange light. I'm *assuming* the kids didn't bump it, but even so, it should've had hours and hours to charge uninterrupted....

Anyway, I turn it on and it shows two bars of charge after all that time, so suffice it to say I'm a bit concerned about its performance at the moment.

Fox Mulder

I was about to jump on the Basic @ Target for $239 but with new premium bundles coming I should probably wait until after E3.

man I can't decide $239 is pretty good.

I think that if they do a price drop, the best they would probably do is eliminate the basic and drop the premium down to its price. No way they do something sharp like a $100 price cut.

espher

I was just kidding. Selling a better battery five minutes after releasing the console is bullshit. You do have that scorned lover temper, though.

Can I apply a similar rationale to different SKUs, since that drives me nuts? They're selling us more stuff for more $$$. Is it okay now because it's in a big box at launch? Can't they stick to one, definitive model featureset?

I don't know, I just don't see it as a problem -- it's entirely optional in my eyes. I have no need or intend to pick it up, but I don't see a problem with offering upgrades like this.

jay

Can I apply a similar rationale to different SKUs, since that drives me nuts? They're selling us more stuff for more $$$. Is it okay now because it's in a big box at launch? Can't they stick to one, definitive model featureset?

I don't know, I just don't see it as a problem -- it's entirely optional in my eyes. I have no need or intend to pick it up, but I don't see a problem with offering upgrades like this.

The problem here is that the battery they sell with the system is not very good. Before the 3DS, battery life seemed like a priority to Nintendo so it's a shame to see them selling stuff with short life then selling us a fix later.

Personally, I dislike marginal SKU upgrades because I dislike being nickel and dimed. Big changes like a DS to DSlite I feel differently about, and then the inbetweens like the DSi are hazy.

Jackano

So 13 july is japanese Wii U relaunch. Are they gonna slowly ditch the basic pack then?
And what's this Super Secret thing?

Top Bottom