• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New X-Files Series In The Works

I’m not really sure how they can start fresh with a lot of people interested. Best part of X-Files was the monster of the week episodes, so if they lean hard on that aspect then it might be ok. Good luck replicating Mulder and Scully’s on screen chemistry. They’ve tried that already and it didn’t work.
Still……They Never Did Find the rest of The Peacock Family in the “Home” episode 🤔
giphy.gif

Indulge me.
Ask Demi Lovato.
Also I must be in the extreme minority in that I loved the alien saga aspect of the show. I felt like that culminated in the first movie, but fell off pretty hard after that. Chris Carter absolutely fucked the legacy up of the show with the last few seasons. Especially the last season which was awful.

Spaceman292

Banned
I’m not really sure how they can start fresh with a lot of people interested. Best part of X-Files was the monster of the week episodes, so if they lean hard on that aspect then it might be ok. Good luck replicating Mulder and Scully’s on screen chemistry. They’ve tried that already and it didn’t work.
Still……They Never Did Find the rest of The Peacock Family in the “Home” episode 🤔
giphy.gif
Even Mulder and Scully had trouble recreating the Mulder and Scully chemistry in the later movies and stuff

jason10mm

Gold Member
A big part of X-files was that 80s/90's era alien abduction stuff which has almost totally disappeared today. I'm trying to think of a conspiracy theory show being made today that DOESN'T dive straight into Jan 6 MAGA nonsense. Maybe reptilians? It's been done. More of a cosmic horror versus the greys? Possible. Personally, I'd go with an "invasion of the body snatchers" theme but they can't quite get it right and that explains all the gender dysphoria we have these days but that'd jump on the third rail of social consciousness waaaaaaaaaay too easily.

The other key is the dynamic of an educated skeptic who straight denies all the shit right in front of their face paired with an intelligent believer that constantly adjusts their world view to include all the counter-factuals when they are wrong. Scully also had a strong faith element which flipped the tables at times where she would be the "believer" and Mulder suddenly started shooting down kooky ideas. Writers these days can't grok the subtlety required to make that heady combo work for over almost TWO HUNDRED episodes (plus the later seasons and the films)!

I dunno, this is gonna be a tough one that has a higher bar of excellence than damn near any other show I can think of at the moment.

wipeout364

It’s going to be hard to succeed but it might work. I never thought Magnum PI would be a hit but it’s still going and they got like 8 seasons out of Hawaii 5.0.

X files is tricky as it had that romantic chemistry in the background and it took place in an era where I think people were more gullible in some ways as the internet was not so prevalent.

Coogler is not some hack so he might be able to put something compelling together.

Ristifer

The other key is the dynamic of an educated skeptic who straight denies all the shit right in front of their face paired with an intelligent believer that constantly adjusts their world view to include all the counter-factuals when they are wrong. Scully also had a strong faith element which flipped the tables at times where she would be the "believer" and Mulder suddenly started shooting down kooky ideas. Writers these days can't grok the subtlety required to make that heady combo work for over almost TWO HUNDRED episodes (plus the later seasons and the films)!

I dunno, this is gonna be a tough one that has a higher bar of excellence than damn near any other show I can think of at the moment.
Pretty much this. Writers of these kinds of series these days can't actually grasp these elements and end up blowing their loads about three episodes in (three if we're lucky).

sCHOCOLATE

giphy.gif
Thank God for that. I have the BD set. The season four disc has gotten the least playtime because of this episode and the stupendous make-up job for such a hideous character.

Ownage

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
They barely pulled it off with the original beloved cast. And I'd argue even similar shows like the outer limits and fringe didn't even get close to what the x-files was at its zenith.

Even with Doggett and Reyes I thought it fell off massively, though the continuations gave me closure. This will fail, and massively. And everyone can see it a mile off.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Black woman and transgender woman confirmed. They will spend each episode complaining and saying which one is more oppressed. No cases solved. Canceled after 3 episodes.
If only.

The studio will keep funding it, even though it's universally panned and mocked relentlessly. They'll somehow get through 4-5 seasons of this schlock while simultaneously cancelling good shows that people actually enjoy. You'll flip through the channels one day, years from now, and see that there's a new episode premiering. You'll think, "damn, how is this show still on the air? It was so bad." And you'd be right, but the studio's got a diversity quota to fill, and creative accounting to perform. We just have to deal with the fallout of those policies and decisions.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Jesus Christ the absolute fragility of some of you.

And XFILES may have been a trailblazing genre show, but others - including FRINGE which absolutely was better in the long run than XFILES with that original series ending - have come and shown on what it means to be fun, episodic science fiction.

. . . I'm all for a reboot, but it needs to have more of a hook than "aliens among us."

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I am a huge xfiles fan. Rewatch the whole series every 5 years or so.

I'm fine if they try something new like a new show about 2 fbi agents investigating supernatural stuff. But if they try to remake xfiles this is going to fail so hard.
Massive fan here and probably due a 4th rewatch tbf but I'm bating my way through Stargate again.

I'd love to see a new xfiles show where new agents uncover the casefiles and start looking into them, solve some big high profile case and then are assigned to work their way through them by someone/organisation with a hidden agenda e.g. Vape smoking man, giving us a chance to revisit classic episodes through new agents but I am seriously missing some good old monster/alien conspiracy TV show

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I am a huge xfiles fan. Rewatch the whole series every 5 years or so.

I'm fine if they try something new like a new show about 2 fbi agents investigating supernatural stuff. But if they try to remake xfiles this is going to fail so hard.
You should check out The Outsider on HBO sometime. Just a single season. You'll probably be into it. I was.

daffyduck

Juice Vaping Man will probably be part a cabal, with the goal of maintaining the systemic oppression of minorities and special interest groups.

Wonder what Mulder and Scully would drive, since the Prius isn't an eyesore anymore, and is a unicorn anyway.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

No way. Look at the ending to FRINGE versus XFILES. Sure they both pulled those out of their arses, but FRINGE felt like it had earned its ending versus just being cobbled together at the end.

. . .the less said about the "later" seasons post original series finale of XFILES the better.

GeekyDad

Without David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson? Good luck!
Yeah, if they're not in it, I have little to no interest.

Now, if they are at least part of the regular cast, as maybe higher-ups at this point, I'm totally willing to give it a chance. And there is no effin' better time for this kind of storytelling than now. They can start with fast food, and work their way up to Pokemon Go.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Ask Demi Lovato.
Also I must be in the extreme minority in that I loved the alien saga aspect of the show. I felt like that culminated in the first movie, but fell off pretty hard after that. Chris Carter absolutely fucked the legacy up of the show with the last few seasons. Especially the last season which was awful.

Different times for sure.

Try Millennium from Chris Carter.

Top Bottom