• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New X-Files Series In The Works

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Thanks. We should also use this thread to put forth hte best X-Files vibe TV shows.

I have seen some of Fringe, it was good i need to pick it back up.

I have seen seasons 1 and 2 of Evil, that was pretty good as well.

I assume you've watched Supernatural, I fell off around S8 or so but it was some excellent TV, been meaning to get back into it again.. the Outsider was brilliant, really enjoyed that one

reinking

Gold Member
I am a huge xfiles fan. Rewatch the whole series every 5 years or so.

I'm fine if they try something new like a new show about 2 fbi agents investigating supernatural stuff. But if they try to remake xfiles this is going to fail so hard.
Right there with you. It is one of the few shows I continue to rewatch multiple times. I also agree that it would need a reboot with different agents and not try to remake what is already great.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I assume you've watched Supernatural, I fell off around S8 or so but it was some excellent TV, been meaning to get back into it again.. the Outsider was brilliant, really enjoyed that one

I havent watched Supernatural ... thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Ask Demi Lovato.
Also I must be in the extreme minority in that I loved the alien saga aspect of the show. I felt like that culminated in the first movie, but fell off pretty hard after that. Chris Carter absolutely fucked the legacy up of the show with the last few seasons. Especially the last season which was awful.

When i was younger I was all about the alien storyline, but after watching the show later when i was older and having the benefit of having them downloaded or having the DVDs and watching them in order, the alien storyline becomes pretty convoluted and whack.

The Monster of the Week episdoes are the best now IMO. Alien storyline reached its peak with the train car/lepers/Japanese scientist episode, one of my personal favorites.

Setzer

"I just spoke to a young man, Ryan Coogler, who is going to remount 'The X-Files' with a diverse cast," Carter told host Gloria Macarenko in a retrospective segment about the series.

Well, I'm glad they got the most important part of rebooting a show/movie figured out! You can just make up the rest of the stuff as you go along.

MacReady13

I am a huge xfiles fan. Rewatch the whole series every 5 years or so.

I'm fine if they try something new like a new show about 2 fbi agents investigating supernatural stuff. But if they try to remake xfiles this is going to fail so hard.
Agree with this completely. It's my fav show of all time. Just call it The X Files but have completely different characters. Don't call them Mulder/Scully cause it just won't work.

MacReady13

I must be one of those that never hated the show in the later years. I loved Doggett. Possibly my fav character of the entire show (after Mulder/Scully obviously)! I really enjoyed both films and liked the last 2 seasons as well. I'm still baffled as to why Gillian Anderson doesn't like how her character arc ended at the very end... Is it just another ultra feminist talking point that I'm missing??? She seemed to go off on Chris Carter about it for some strange reason, even though he was the guy who actually gave her a career to begin with.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I truy feel somewhat sad knowing I would have a a hell of a hard time watching shows in this vein. And yes that sounds conceited and arrogant and what have you. I realise that. As if I'm happy being content with the current (AAA) sci-fi output whether in serie or movie form. Dumned down ideas/premises carried through way of poorly written Nickelodeon brain dead characters which most of the case have their impersonal soap drama cast a thicc blanket over the perhaps 0.005% mildy interesting point of interest.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Massive fan here and probably due a 4th rewatch tbf but I'm bating my way through Stargate again.

I'd love to see a new xfiles show where new agents uncover the casefiles and start looking into them, solve some big high profile case and then are assigned to work their way through them by someone/organisation with a hidden agenda e.g. Vape smoking man, giving us a chance to revisit classic episodes through new agents but I am seriously missing some good old monster/alien conspiracy TV show
Thats actually a really good hook for the show, they are junior or "on the outs" agents (probably one of each) that get dumped with the task of following up on the OG reports by Scully and Mulder. That way we can revisit classic eps with a bit of a twist, there is reason for DD and GA to guest star, and they can still do their own thing at times. You know they wanna do the hillbilly family again, the neurotic vamps, that eye smoke shit, etc. So own it and they can rehash stuff within the framework of the show.

Another thing the showrunners gotta realize is that sillier and self-mocking type episodes were EARNED later on, you can't come right out of the gate with too much self awareness. That stuff builds over time, the AUDIENCE determines what it will be, and you have to play off those expectations.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I must be one of those that never hated the show in the later years. I loved Doggett. Possibly my fav character of the entire show (after Mulder/Scully obviously)! I really enjoyed both films and liked the last 2 seasons as well. I'm still baffled as to why Gillian Anderson doesn't like how her character arc ended at the very end... Is it just another ultra feminist talking point that I'm missing??? She seemed to go off on Chris Carter about it for some strange reason, even though he was the guy who actually gave her a career to begin with.

I like Dogget a lot. There are some good eps there but overall the quality had dipped. Agent Reyes was terrible and Duchovney was mostly gone.

If they could have added Dogget as a 3rd agent on the team and Duchovney would have been in like half of the episodes, and no Agent Reyes, they might have been able to hold on a bit longer.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I think seasons 1-6 is arguably the pinnacle of tv in this genre. Seasons after also had some really good episodes here and there, but those first 6 seasons, wow. Duchovny and Anderson at their peak.
Even the alien mythology plot had built up to a fantastic point, only to sizzle out in future seasons.
It reminds me a bit like LOST in that sense.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I havent watched Supernatural ... thanks for the recommendation.
Ah M8 it's the next best thing for that xfiles fix, hell there's loads of injokes and references to Xfiles, has the over arching storyline running through the series interspersed with monster of the week shows, there's some absolute banger episodes

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I can see a new X-Files because of all the buzz in the news about UFO disclosure, especially the tic tac UFO filmed by the Navy. There's a real interest and now more than ever belief in UFOs, now called UAPs.

Personally, my favorite episodes are about the UFOs and aliens (well, it turns out they weren't actually aliens in the show) because I'm a big fan of it in real life as well. I also really like Cigarette Smoking Man.

I'm all for a new X-Files show but the red light went off when I read diverse. It's yet another example of bringing something back or rebooting something with a focus on diversity more than story or characters. You think by now Hollywood and video games and comic books would have learned that people are getting tired of this shit, but I guess not.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I don’t think a show like the X-Files could work in the current age, and I certainly don’t think whoever is making this is able (or willing) to make a show like that. The thing about the old school conspiracy mindset, as it was exemplified by Mulder, is that it only works in a society of relative high trust in private and public institutions, be it government, media, corporations etc. Back in the 90s, the majority of Americans (as well as people in other western countries) were generally patriotic, and believed that the people in charge of their country were mostly acting with the best interest of the nation in mind, even if they disagreed about the means to do so. In a context like that, plots about vast government conspiracies do work, exactly because it’s so contrary to how people perceived their government.

This is simply no longer the case today, especially in the US. The population is sharply split into two camps that accuse the representatives of the other side of being criminals, foreign agents, pedophiles, satanists or whatever else they can think of. Furthermore, the cliché of the ‘men in black’ – hardened, ruthless government agents willing to do shady shit on behalf of shadowy government organizations – is outright laughable considering how government agencies these days present themselves as ‘diverse’, ‘inclusive’, ‘empathetic’ etc., with a leadership half of which consists of various affirmative action hires. I mean, Biden’s current health secretary is a transvestite who looks scarier than any alien.

Not to mention, the kinds of people that will be making this new show probably belong to a milieu that thinks people who believe in conspiracy theories are crazy lunatics at best, and potential domestic terrorists at worst. In an environment like that, how are they supposed to make a show about actual government conspiracies? Are they gonna make the government the good guys, and the conspiracy theorists the villains? Or maybe they’ll just leave out anything about government conspiracies or aliens, and just make monster of the week episodes. But I don’t see how tat could work. I mean, a X-Files show without shady government organizations doing shady shit would just feel wrong imo.

TLDR, I can’t see a show like the x-files being made today, considering the current zeitgeist.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

I don’t think a show like the X-Files could work in the current age, and I certainly don’t think whoever is making this is able (or willing) to make a show like that. The thing about the old school conspiracy mindset, as it was exemplified by Mulder, is that it only works in a society of relative high trust in private and public institutions, be it government, media, corporations etc. Back in the 90s, the majority of Americans (as well as people in other western countries) were generally patriotic, and believed that the people in charge of their country were mostly acting with the best interest of the nation in mind, even if they disagreed about the means to do so. In a context like that, plots about vast government conspiracies do work, exactly because it’s so contrary to how people perceived their government.

This is simply no longer the case today, especially in the US. The population is sharply split into two camps that accuse the representatives of the other side of being criminals, foreign agents, pedophiles, satanists or whatever else they can think of. Furthermore, the cliché of the ‘men in black’ – hardened, ruthless government agents willing to do shady shit on behalf of shadowy government organizations – is outright laughable considering how government agencies these days present themselves as ‘diverse’, ‘inclusive’, ‘empathetic’ etc., with a leadership half of which consists of various affirmative action hires. I mean, Biden’s current health secretary is a transvestite who looks scarier than any alien.

Not to mention, the kinds of people that will be making this new show probably belong to a milieu that thinks people who believe in conspiracy theories are crazy lunatics at best, and potential domestic terrorists at worst. In an environment like that, how are they supposed to make a show about actual government conspiracies? Are they gonna make the government the good guys, and the conspiracy theorists the villains? Or maybe they’ll just leave out anything about government conspiracies or aliens, and just make monster of the week episodes. But I don’t see how tat could work. I mean, a X-Files show without shady government organizations doing shady shit would just feel wrong imo.

TLDR, I can’t see a show like the x-files being made today, considering the current zeitgeist.
Maybe people were a bit more patriotic than they were today in the 1990s, but there were plenty of people that weren't and in fact a lot of people believed in conspiracies. I remember all these shows and specials in the 1990s about government conspiracies.

I do see what you're saying though. I mean you do have UFO disclosure and the government now recognizing it as a real threat so the show could lean more on that. You have stuff like Skinwalker Ranch as well as all your paranormal hotspots that have gained in popularity.

The problem is modern conspiracy stuff will lean heavily into politics. Stuff like QAnon, for instance. It's extremely likely the new X-Files will lean heavily into typical Hollywood politics with "left good, right bad" rhetoric. I mean it's already obvious with the whole focus on diversity.

In one way a new X-Files could work if they focus more on UFOs but overall I don't think it's going to work out because of how politicized people are today and how divisive the show is just going to end up being.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
You could easily do an Xfiles show today, it is after all a fictionalised drama series and with all the recent furore around UFO's that could easily form the basis of a new show with Agents going into the Archives digging out some old case files on UFO's to see if theres a link from past cases to new sightings and in digging through those old files they come across unsolved cases and investigate those aka monster of the week whilst uncovering a long buried UFO threat that's just started to spin up again

My guess is that it will lean heavily into UAPs, and the surrounding conspiracies. Bet we’ll get some weird monster of the week episodes too.

Darkmakaimura

You could easily do an Xfiles show today, it is after all a fictionalised drama series and with all the recent furore around UFO's that could easily form the basis of a new show with Agents going into the Archives digging out some old case files on UFO's to see if theres a link from past cases to new sightings and in digging through those old files they come across unsolved cases and investigate those aka monster of the week whilst uncovering a long buried UFO threat that's just started to spin up again
Yup. But make the aliens actually from a different planet rather than the reveal that they were inhabitants of Earth hundreds of thousands of years ago.

I thought that reveal was kind of lame instead of them actually being aliens or extra dimensional beings.

The new X-Files could focus on weirder stuff too than the original series did. Like beings from other dimensions and stuff like the Skinwalker Ranch. The original series was very grounded in reality and didn't go too much into really weird stuff, aka High Strangeness. Plus, the whole idea of other dimensions is really popular nowadays.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Nothing like a dramatized predictic programming psy op to turn off after 20 min into it's pilot ep.

I like Dogget a lot. There are some good eps there but overall the quality had dipped. Agent Reyes was terrible and Duchovney was mostly gone.

If they could have added Dogget as a 3rd agent on the team and Duchovney would have been in like half of the episodes, and no Agent Reyes, they might have been able to hold on a bit longer.
Robert Patrick didn’t want to be in any of the new stuff. They had a part for him and he declined.

Top Bottom