• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xcom game. Xcom - Chimera Squad.

Atrus

Gold Member
I've been playing this since Saturday and I have to say that the game has great potential but seems to be somewhat rushed out of playtesting. It's tone is more camp than the last 2 XCOM games but the idea of an XCOM SWAT to go alongside the regular XCOM Spec Ops games is a good premise.

The problem is that there's a couple game breaking bugs that have caused me to stop and find some console work arounds until they patch the game. The hours fly by when its working fine but keep in mind its a much shorter game with a more restrictive playstyle as compared to XCOM.

There are things that the main series does well that doesn't seem to translate over into this spinoff so it seems like a completely different team learning the same ropes of game development. I got my $10 worth so far and hopefully they touch it up and expand on the premise.

Last edited:

manfestival

I bought the game Friday and played it some Saturday(was finishing up Ori this weekend) and some last night.

I have come across some bugs, one of which forced me to reboot the game since it ruined the entire encounter. However, this is Xcom and unfortunately normal/expected with these games. I remember all the crashes and issues I had with xcom 1, 2 and wotc.
People complaining that this game looks low budget... well it is technically a $20 game that is being sold at $10(for launch). So far, the $10 is beyond worth it. I think people are expecting the $60 traditional experience here

cMIUqE2e_400x400.jpg

waqxfGu.jpg

Last edited:

chriskun

Ive put several hours into this game now and Im liking it. General Lee I definitely see what you’re saying, the game is definitely way more cartoony than the previous entries, who ever says its not does not have a very discerning eye. Is it just me or is overwatch kinda useless due to the smaller maps and no fog of war?

I am really enjoying it (one exceedingly brutal difficulty spike aside). It feels like they wanted to play around with the XCOM formula and try out a few new things. I wouldnt want this in the main series as core content but as a diversion/DLC/small game these changes are a lot of fun.

Interleaving really makes you rethink your old XCOM habits and I think thats where this game will get the most pushback. Unfortunately I feel like (at least on normal difficulty) this new addition makes agent movement and placement matter much less. Since interleaving means your highest priority is cancelling enemy turns, you will often finish most encounters in the position you ended up in after Breaching. Without ever having moved to flank or cover.

The devs must have known this was gonna be the case too because a lot of missions will respawn enemies endlessly forcing you to move to finish the mission.

Anyway, rambling aside, its nice being in the XCOM universe again. I wasnt a fan of Mutant's level gating encounters and there isnt much else that scratches my XCOM itch. If you like the series, there isnt much reason not to buy it as long as you understand its a $10 experiment and not a full fledged DLC/Sequel.

xrnzaaas

Damn there's a pretty big difficulty spike with the third faction's last battle and then with the last mission of the game. I was smooth sailing to the end having a tight group of strong characters and suddenly had to repeat both missions after losing all team members.

Considering i had the first game at my mercy on my Vita for like 8 months then uninstalled it, I'm not too sure I'll be all in on this one.

llien

Original XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Terror from The Deep - still masterpieces in my books

Firaxis XCOM:
1) I liked tactical visuals / sound / first time from the original XCOM something was new, yet cool
2) Still would prefer (hard to sell?) timeunit based turns, instead of dumb 2 step
3) Psycho felt too short
4) Exloding black holes, oh dear...
The most serious XCOM reboot so far.
Still, it had less depth than original (which was A SIMULATOR!!! UFOs didn't simply atttack, because it's so in script, there was object flying, there was your radar with X% chance of detecting it, there was you downing or not downing it, if not, it would proceed to do whatever their goal was... )
Played, war of the chosen expansion, I don't like where it is heading.

And now we get.. alliance with alliens, give me a break...

UFO:Extraterastrials - felt like original dumbed down a lot, with upgraded graphics. Ok for people feeling nostalgic.

Xenonauts: notable clone
* closer to original, but still lacking depth, jacked psycho.
* Aerial combat cooler than in the original

Keeping my fingers crossed for Xenonauts 2 not to suck. (they are going from iso sprites to 3D) For me it has bigger potential, than whatever the heck Firaxis is doing.

Last edited:
Im really liking this game, the breach is a nice addition, the different aliens are really cool to play.Its a great entry point for a new player, the start is much more simple than other xcom games. I hope that the breach, different races and the turn timeline stay for xcom 3 in some capacity.

Patrick S.

Banned
This game is a lot of fun and a worthy bearer of the XCOM name. I love the art style, and I like that the soldiers have a bit of personality. Would buy more of this!

xrnzaaas

It's a cool game, but damn, I've had a crash to desktop several times now.

Usually when dealing with reinforcements. I wonder if that's related.
I've had the game freeze twice when reinforcements showed up, but it's pretty much the only major issue I had regarding bugs. I've noticed weird animations while targetting aliens in Breach mode (like your agent facing / shooting in a different direction), but that didn't break anything.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
After encountering more bugs like having all of my gear on a character disappear, and having a character being stuck on a tile in battle, I can see why they only charged $10 for this. I might have been annoyed if this was a full price game.

Top Bottom