• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City is eyeing a ban on electronic cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Espresso

Banned
sorry-stephen-dorff-but-your-blue-e-cig-may-soon-be-unwelcome-in-new-york-city.jpg

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is so concerned with public health, he doesn't want people to even feign smoking anymore.

The mayor who banned trans fats and tried to kill large sugary drinks has turned his attention to electronic cigarettes, those pen-shaped devices that are supposedly a safer way to get your nicotine fix. The city's Health Committee is considering several proposed ordinances related to cigarettes, including one that would classify e-cigarettes as tobacco products, according to a leaked copy of those proposals obtained by the Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association.

The proposals, via CASAA, would:

• Redefine "tobacco products" under New York City law to include e-cigarettes and related components, parts, and accessories
• Ban the display of e-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco in retail stores
• Ban the sale of e-cigarettes or e-liquid in flavors other than tobacco, menthol, mint and wintergreen in areas other than an age-restricted "tobacco bar." New York City law prohibits "tobacco bars" that were not open in 2001, and thus even an e-cigarette store in New York City would be prohibited from selling flavored e-cigarettes!
• Mandate that e-cigarette products and parts, components, and accessories only be sold in their original packaging [CASAA]

The battery-powered cigarettes typically use liquid cartridges containing nicotine and some other chemicals. They do not, however, contain tobacco, so they technically fall outside the laws that regulate traditional cigarettes. Would-be smokers are therefore allowed to "light up" in city establishments, like bars, confounding bouncers and patrons who often mistake an e-cig's small cloud of vapor for the real thing.

The proposals under consideration, critics say, would effectively outlaw e-cigarettes by regulating them into extinction.

"This is a de facto ban on electronic cigarettes," Dr. Michael Siegel, a professor at the Boston University School of Public Health, tells Gothamist. "Pretty much all electronic cigarettes are flavored; they're essentially flavored products. You're basically telling a bunch of ex-smokers to go back to cigarettes."

Across the country, California's legislature is considering similar legislation that would treat e-cigarettes like other tobacco products.

Yet whether e-cigarettes are actually safer than the real thing is still up for debate.

The Food and Drug Administration issued a warning about the products back in 2009, saying some samples contained ingredients found in anti-freeze. The agency added that the products were not approved by the FDA, and could not be deemed safe without further testing. Furthermore, critics say e-cigarettes serve no purpose but to perpetuate nicotine addiction.

A more recent Drexel University study released this month, however, concluded that the supplementary chemicals in e-cigarettes were not harmful to users or bystanders.​

Source: Yahoo! News

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Electronic cigarettes are some serious bullshit and they should be regulated as proper ones, but Bloomberg strikes me as a GIGANTIC do as I say not as a I do-type of asshole.

Surely, NYC has bigger problems waiting to be fixed.

Mengetsu

I don't smoke nor like being around it but, I wouldn't push people away or tell them what to do what there lives and neither should the mayor. I'm so glad he's going soon. Even I don't mind the E Cigs.

Madness

Bloomberg should worry less about what grown adults want to consume in their lives and try to fix the myriad of problems the state has...

Reminds me of the old guy from Demolition Man.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What the hell is an e-cig? I've never heard of it...

I don't know much about Bloomberg apart from the odd thread that pops up every now and then here. He actually sounds pretty cool. Bans the shit the needs to be banned.

Madness

What kind of loser uses e-cigarettes?

Is there an e-heroin needle out there on the market as well?

Probably guys who need the nicotine hit, but don't want to get tobacco and other harmful additives. Not to mention it removes the smell and second hand smoke that comes from normal cigarettes.

More and more studies are showing that E-cigarette vapor is sort of like second hand smoke, but it's not as bad.

Lucario

I thought the reason cigs kept getting banned was because of secondary smoke concerns? What are these crybabies afraid of, water vapor?

kirblar

The only thing that needs to be banned are the a-holes who think it's ok to go around blowing water vapor in other people's faces.

Angry Fork

I don't know much about Bloomberg apart from the odd thread that pops up every now and then here. He actually sounds pretty cool. Bans the shit the needs to be banned.

He's a racist, endorses police brutality and is opposed to the most elementary, common sense labor rights like paid sick days.

Aurongel

Quitting cold turkey just isn't an option for a lot of people and e-cigarettes are a nice stepping stone towards quitting that many people CANNOT do without. This just seems counter intuitive to what his original end goal was.

ShinNL

Probably guys who need the nicotine hit, but don't want to get tobacco and other harmful additives. Not to mention it removes the smell and second hand smoke that comes from normal cigarettes.

More and more studies are showing that E-cigarette vapor is sort of like second hand smoke, but it's not as bad.
Please link me to those studies.

DBT85

They are being regulated as medication in the UK from 2016

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2013/06June/Pages/e-cigarettes-and-vaping.aspx

Electronic cigarettes are to be licensed and regulated as an aid to quit smoking from 2016, it has been announced.

E-cigarettes – battery-operated devices that mimic cigarettes – are to be classed as 'medicines', which means they will face stringent checks by medicine regulator the MHRA and doctors will be able to prescribe them to smokers to help them cut down or quit.

This move has been widely welcomed by medical experts and officials, as tighter regulation will ensure the products are safe and effective.

Until this happens, e-cigarettes are only covered by general product safety legislation, meaning they can legally be promoted and sold to children, and we cannot be sure of their ingredients or how much nicotine they contain. The MHRA will not ban the products entirely during this interim period, but will encourage e-cigarette manufacturers to apply for a medicine licence.

Colonel

Neo Member
Fuck New York! I dont live there or anything but there way of doing things is down right crazy. Cant smoke outside for fuck sake's its outside theres penty of damn Oxygen to go around! and then trying to ban soda pop over 16oz's was a another crazy only in New York crap.

Lucario

The only thing that needs to be banned are the a-holes who think it's ok to go around blowing water vapor in other people's faces.

E-cigs are extremely popular here, and I have never seen anyone do this. Seems like it'd get you kicked out of a store already if you were being rude about it.

They need more regulation -- like, I kind of am bothered by people smoking them in non-smoking restaurants, even if that's a little irrational. Also, a lot of stores around here will sell them to kids, which is utter bullshit.

But this is effectively a ban, forcing people back to much-more-obnoxious cigarettes. There's absolutely no reason for that.

Madness

I thought the reason cigs kept getting banned was because of secondary smoke concerns? What are these crybabies afraid of, water vapor?

How about trace amounts of nicotine and liquefied particles like propylene glycol and other particles that accumulate in the air and go in the lungs of others. It's not just harmless water vapor.

It's especially bad when you have several E-Cig smokers in an area and the vapor pollutes the air in the immediate vicinity.

I'm not a smoker, I've never touched cigarettes or E-cigarettes and I think this ban would be dumb, but let's not say they're completely safe just yet. And I agree, just because tobacco smoking was banned in an area, doesn't mean you can just start using your E-Cigarette there. I'm seeing more and more people use them in non-smoking areas as well.

kirblar

E-cigs are extremely popular here, and I have never seen anyone do this. Seems like it'd get you kicked out of a store already if you were being rude about it.

They need more regulation -- like, I kind of am bothered by people smoking them in non-smoking restaurants, even if that's a little irrational. Also, a lot of stores around here will sell them to kids, which is utter bullshit.

But this is effectively a ban, forcing people back to much-more-obnoxious cigarettes. There's absolutely no reason for that.
Had a guy down and across the table at SCG NJ just puffing his vapor all over the table. Completely gross. Imagine The Dude pretending to be a dragon.

How about trace amounts of nicotine and liquefied particles like propylene glycol and other particles that accumulate in the air and go in the lungs of others. It's not just harmless water vapor.
I'd love to know how that compares to crossing the street.

It's especially bad when you have several E-Cig smokers in an area and the vapor pollutes the air in the immediate vicinity.

The output is still harmless and dissipates within seconds. But you're right, no matter what you're smoking you should take others into account. I'd never blow vapour in close proximity to strangers.

Madness

I'd love to know how that compares to crossing the street.

That's true, but when you are sitting in the no-smoking section of a restaurant or in a non-smoking coffeshop and the guy next to you pulls out his E-Cig and starts blowing his vapor around, you never know.

It's one thing that I choose to cross the street and breathe in the pollution, quite another when it's someone else affecting my health no?

That's true, but when you are sitting in the no-smoking section of a restaurant or in a non-smoking coffeshop and the guy next to you pulls out his E-Cig and starts blowing his vapor around, you never know.

It's one thing that I choose to cross the street and breathe in the pollution, quite another when it's someone else affecting my health no?
Your fear sounds... irrational.

"starts blowing his vapor around"

Madness

That's not what I asked for. I asked for a link to a study that states it's kind of like second hand smoking, which we know is almost as dangerous as actual smoking. Don't ignore me Madness.

Not ignoring you, was trying to find more credible sites I guess. I said it's sort of like second hand smoke in the sense that you have external chemicals being blown into the air that may or may not impact someone else. The one main german study is a PDF file, don't know how I'd post it here.

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/view...t-call-in-snuffing-out-e-cigarettes-1.5712857

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/...ronic-cigarettes-e-cigarettes-real-cigarettes

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news...-cigarettes-smokeless-vaping-risks/57121894/1

http://www.businessweek.com/article...nt-your-attention-now-before-the-fda-steps-in

http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...f-smoking-bans-apply-to-e-cigarettes/2481267/

You'd have to read through them all, but quite a few touch on the fact that trace amounts of nicotine, propylene glycol (chemical that affects some people) and other liquefied particles can accumulate in the air and be inhaled by others.

Edit: Wtf? Continue my zealotry? How? By saying I'm supportive of e-cigarettes, against this ban, but that I'm worried that there may be concern about the vapor that is emitted, especially when you have a lot of folks in the immediate area blowing their vapor?

caramac

That's not what I asked for. I asked for a link to a study that states it's kind of like second hand smoking, which we know is almost as dangerous as actual smoking. Don't ignore me Madness. You have no right to continue your zealotry until you clarify your statement.

Then please accept my apologies.

Lucario

Had a guy down and across the table at SCG NJ just puffing his vapor all over the table. Completely gross. Imagine The Dude pretending to be a dragon.

juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge

The funny part about e-cigs is, you have no idea what anyone's actually smoking.

Turns out that most e-cig users at my previous LGS were getting baked. I couldn't smell a goddamn thing, and the most competitive players in my area were going outside after each round to smoke hash oil.

....unfortunately, I feel like that's going to be the deciding factor in upcoming regulations, and not the more logical reasons (they're rude to use indoors, people don't know what they're putting in their bodies, nicotine is being sold to minors.)

(Seriously though, blowing vapor in your opponent's face is definitely warning: unsportsmanlike conduct -- minor)

So all of those people who've stopped using regular cigs, and starting vaping instead, will just be forced back to using regular cigs again?

Now that's some sweet irony when considering it's all for "public health".

fallagin

Bloomberg is fucking horrible at crafting regulations. Why the hell would you ban a comparatively safe alternative to cigarrettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom