• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City now requires restaurants to freeze raw fish before serving

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_lt8eifgzok1r0d99io1_400.gif

Love when goes mental at people fot freezing their fish and then saying its fresh on the menu.

This isn't unreasonable if you can show me that pathogens transmitted in this fashion are a serious concern.

How often do people get diseases from raw fish: does it happen to 1 out of every 10 customers? Or 1 out of every 10 million? Probably somewhere in between, and at some point we'd draw the line and say "Your taste preferences are not worth the disease this causes."

This is my thinking as well. If there's good reason to freeze the fish, by all means please go ahead.

New York is dirty.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Most restaurants would voluntarily freeze their fish if there wasn't a law anyways. No restaurant wants the stigma of food poisoning hanging over their heads.

All the bacteria is killed off when the surface of the meat is grilled. Now if they wanted to put a raw steak on your table for you to eat, I think the FDA would have a problem with that.

We have a high population of Ethiopian in DC with a lot of restaurants. Some of items on the menus contain raw meats. I don't believe it's cooked in anyway.

SRG01

I thought this was already the norm? I wouldn't dare eat at a sushi place that didn't cryo-freeze their fish beforehand.

Edit: if this law is to catch edge cases, surely there are other laws in existence already that can be used to force compliance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom