• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Times - Top 52 Places in the World to Visit in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to 47 out of the 52.
Weird list, but whatever, anything that get people travel more is good.

I've been to 6 :( I'm finally gonna start traveling again this year after putting it off after college.

Looking for a good place to travel solo for about 7-8 days

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Some pretty shitty suggestions on that list.

Mexico City #1.. really?

Yea apart from the incredible museums, art, shopping, sports, restaurants, nightlife, culture, history, surroundings, infrastructure, gigantic meso-American temple complex and people, yeah you're right it's shit.

20. Grand Rapids, Michigan
"A furniture-making city champions urban renewal and art."

Coming from MichiganGAF, I can say GR is a dope area. But one of the top 52 places in the world to visit?

tumblr_mmypk7Pq8b1r4upbwo1_500.gif

inky

Mexico City as number one? The number one city to visit this year also frequently holds the top spots for most dangerous city in the world? Something doesn't seem right about that.

I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you are talking about.

MogCakes

Having been to Mexico City recently, I can verify it deserves to be on the list. It is absolutely a fantastic experience and a metropolis to behold. It's also rife with poverty and not a place I would want to visit again. What the article doesn't mention is the incredible forward-thinking design is limited to the more affluent parts of MXC. Much of the city's structures are low-cost shoddy concrete buildings built without adhesion to the city's building codes, essentially uncontrolled. The lake bed on which it resides is sinking because of the lack of moisture in the ground, an ironic and sad fact when you consider the city is flooded nearly every year. The water management in general is terrible. On the metro, I regularly saw children trying to sell various items traveling from car to car.

On the bright side the food is great and everything is cheap.

You may visit Toronto!
I'm in Toronto atm visiting a friend. He says the planned metro line extensions were halted thanks to lack of funding and the new fleet of street cars is actually just 15 new ones from the projected 52 they were supposed to get. It is a beautiful city however, and despite his complaints the public transit lines are generally clean and not packed to the brim. But holy shit is it cold here. And there are people walking around outside with not much more than a thin coat and leggings. I'm baffled.

hirokazu

Based on Sydney's inclusion as the top place to visit in Australia I can firmly say this is a garbage list not worth your time.
It's really starting to baffle me that every single time Sydney is included in some list or otherwise mentioned in a positive light, there'll always be someone who crawls out to shit on it.

I think the selection process that's been added to the OP explains pretty well why these places have been chosen, whether you personally agree with it or not.

SnowTeeth

Banned
It's really starting to baffle me that every single time Sydney is included in some list or otherwise mentioned in a positive light, there'll always be someone who crawls out to shit on it.

I think the selection process that's been added to the OP explains pretty well why these places have been chosen, whether you personally agree with it or not.

Every. Single. Time.

I mean, look at the comment above - does Sydney trigger people that much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom