• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yu Suzuki Interview on Shenmue (Budget preventing sequel from being made)

Nintendo funding Shenmue would be a horrible move. They funded Bayonetta 2, which very likely would be a tiny fraction of the budget for Shenmue 3, yet Shenmue 3 wouldn't sell much more if at all.

MCee

Surely with the 10 million Xbox Ones being sold in, microsoft can fund this. Haha. Maybe the mojang deal took all that money so it's in Nintendo's hands dependent upon Bayonetta 2. With open world games becoming the new fps, a game like shenmue might realistically be closer to finding an investor.

Angelcurio

This is how everything has been programmed. At what time the character is going to wake up, leave its home, go to work, stop at a conbini convenience store to buy some food, goes outside again to catch a bus etc.

At noon, there was a lunch break and the NPC usually brought its lunch and ate it at the park. Also, the NPC's behavior would change depending if it was a week day or weekend.

This intelligent process contained a lot of data. This is explained by the fact that even if you were not even close the NPC, it was still leading its own life, like working

Even though this is somewhat hard to achieve and time consuming in game development, and with a huge scale, it definitely changes the atmosphere of a game. I remember playing a PS2 RPG called Radiata Stories, which had a full night/day cycle, and NPC's would react accordingly by closing shops at night, going home, closing their houses, others would wake up and buy stuff and return home, and it made me pay attention to every single one of them, since i really loved all that attention to detail invested in that system.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
Shenmue 3 and beyond, needs a crowd-funding plan like Star Citezen's.

People funding this from 01 Sep 2012 and now is Nov 2014. Two years plus and it's still going on!

This is like a crowd-funding page, with an unlimited fund time-period.
Notice the unlimited. Explanation: supporters can pledge money into the project within this unlimited time period. Therefore, there's no danger of not reaching the goal like with a limited time period, of usually 30-40 days, like it is usual on Kickstarter. Furthermore, while money being pledged continually, the developers can work on the game while this is happening.

Something similar for Shenmue III, is a must in my opinion (unless some other more capable endeavour exists in Yu Suzuki's plans). #SaveShenmue

yurinka

So Sega doesn't want to throw thousands of millions to the garbage bin, it's too expensive for Nintendo and after Bayonetta 2 should have enough 'charity for quality', and Sony only pays 3rd party exclusives when they own the IP.

Sounds a MS exclusive: if they paid 2 Billions to own Minecraft and knowing that in number of exclusive 1st party teams can't compete with Sony, sounds like they wouldn't care to loose a few hundreds of millions on Shenmue 3 even if it can sell a few million copies and some consoles. It would be their 'exclusive GTA' game.

Or well, another option would be Sony buying the IP, and developing the game internally -maybe western people used to make open world games like Sucker Punch- hiring only Suzuki and a few key members for the creative side of the project (Shenmue 1+2 HD, Shenmue 3, 4 and 5).

Shenmue 3 and beyond, needs a crowd-funding plan like Star Citezen

I don't remember Shenmue sales being big in sales, so I don't see it having a true huge fanbase.

Many people in hardcore gaming sites like GAF (which represents a tiny portion of the gaming market) praises Shenmue but only a few bought it, and it was while ago.

A portion of them may have quit gaming.

Jac_Solar

If they tried for a kickstarter, it would likely be in the millions... maybe upwards of $10 million. I don't think they could get that kind of funding.

Video game budgets have only increased since the Shenmue games were made, and they cost 70$ million. Well done open world games generally cost significantly more than any or most other types of games (They generally require a lot more content, activities, etc.).

KageMaru

Shenmue I and II HD are already complete.

If they are complete, I don't understand why they don't take that already ported engine and work off of that. I would think most Shenmue fans would be perfectly happy playing Shenmue 3 with Dreamcast style graphics in HD. This would surely help the budget.

EctoPrime

If it is far easier to get the game out the door I wouldn't mind them dropping combat. Walking around, cutscenes and quick time events comprise the majority of the Shenmue experience anyway.

Top Bottom