• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda 3DS Impressions and Gameplay footage

Answering questions is arguing?

I have a question for you. Why did you make this post if not to argue with me?

Dunno mate If I was so upset about a reveal that I sold the console it was on I would wipe my hands clean of the whole thing and quit posting about it like I said I would (remember you deciding to leave yesterday after realizing your stance is way below the average gaffer on the whole thing?) from your posts yesterday you clearly don't think all that highly of a 2D perspective Zelda game so continuing to go on and on about it does strike me as more than a bit strange.

Alex

This looks wonderful thus far, really impressed. Zelda really needed something like this again and I hope some of the design philosophy pours its way into the next console game, too.

duckroll

Dunno mate If I was so upset about a reveal that I sold the console it was on I would wipe my hands clean of the whole thing and quit posting about it like I said I would (remember you deciding to leave yesterday after realizing your stance is way below the average gaffer on the whole thing?) from your posts yesterday you clearly don't think all that highly of a 2D perspective Zelda game so continuing to go on and on about it does strike me as more than a bit strange.

Oh I understand now.

You have me confused with someone else, my 3DS is right here on my desk in front of me. I never threatened to sell it and I wasn't here arguing about this yesterday.

Great video, not so great player. I guess it's proof that Nintendo does need to cater to a wide range of skill levels. :p

Dungeon seemed kinda short, but that's the right length for a demo you're expected to play on the spot at a venue. I expect bigger and better things from the full game. :D

It's likely the first dungeon, or very close to it, in which case 13 minutes for a novice to get through and about 8-10 for a more experiences person isn't bad at all. As a LttP veteran I can beat the first dungeon in probably 5-10 minutes, and a speed runner can do far faster than that. So a new game at about the same pace doesn't upset me at all.

duckroll

It's likely the first dungeon, or very close to it, in which case 13 minutes for a novice to get through and about 8-10 for a more experiences person isn't bad at all. As a LttP veteran I can beat the first dungeon in probably 5-10 minutes, and a speed runner can do far faster than that. So a new game at about the same pace doesn't upset me at all.

Can't be the first dungeon though, unless you start the game with the hammer? Doesn't seem right. There's definitely stuff leading into the dungeon. Since it's a sequel to LttP, maybe it'll be similar in structure too, where there's non-dungeon story event stuff early in the game which gives you certain equipment before the first dungeon.

Lunar15

Watched gameplay footage, one thing I didn't like: Link can block all of the spinning tiles with his shield quite easily. I remember having to move around a lot in ALTTP, since you couldn't "pull out the shield". I could see this making the game easier, but then again, ALTTP was never a really hard game or anything.

Oh I understand now.

You have me confused with someone else, my 3DS is right here on my desk in front of me. I never threatened to sell it and I wasn't here arguing about this yesterday.

Ah my bad then mate I think its the avatar that I had mixed up, there was another guy in the other thread yesterday that was very upset about this.

Lunar15

Can't be the first dungeon though, unless you start the game with the hammer? Doesn't seem right. There's definitely stuff leading into the dungeon. Since it's a sequel to LttP, maybe it'll be similar in structure too, where there's non-dungeon story event stuff early in the game which gives you certain equipment before the first dungeon.

I'm assuming this is the dungeon where he gets the hammer, given that most of the puzzles revolve around it. Nothing in the demo showed link GETTING a new item, so yeah, this is not a complete dungeon.

Meelow

Banned
Great video, not so great player. I guess it's proof that Nintendo does need to cater to a wide range of skill levels. :p

Dungeon seemed kinda short, but that's the right length for a demo you're expected to play on the spot at a venue. I expect bigger and better things from the full game. :D

Agreed, I expect a pretty big game in the end.

Didnt know this game was that far along, I hope Zelda WW WiiU is coming along like this ready for hands on at E3

Wind Waker HD is confirmed for Fall so yeah I expect a demo at E3, I actually also wouldn't be shocked if we see a trailer before E3.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The stuff shown in Sessler's video with the 2d wall stuff looked pretty interesting. General quickness in play is also nice to see, though I'm still not a fan of the look.

RagnarokX

I'll repost this here.

Another video of the demo with direct sound.

Zelda: A Link to the Past 2 - 13 Minutes *Direct Sound* Gameplay in perfect Q

Oh god. That remix of Sanctuary Dungeon is sooooo good! I need a soundtrack CD.

Most likely 3rd dungeon. Link already has the bow and hammer. Notice that this level doesn't have a dungeon item either. The big chest contains the boss key, which apparently only opens the boss door instead of multiple doors and the big chest.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, despite this being a sort of New Legend of Zelda for many reasons, the music is amazing with no bahs at all! :lol Man, the boss theme.

It's a demo designed specifically to let you play around with some of the new mechanics in the game... This means you probably have the upgraded versions of all the items. I mentioned this in the other thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if the enchanted never empty quiver is an upgrade found later in the game. I'm probably wrong, but I can hope.

DaBoss

Yea, I think this game is going to be a speedrunner's favourite game due to the morphing mechanics. It can change the way things are done.

And since this is a sequel to ALTTP, the chances of dungeons being done in any order seems high.

I wonder how Zelda looks.

duckroll

Most likely 3rd dungeon. Link already has the bow and hammer. Notice that this level doesn't have a dungeon item either. The big chest contains the boss key, which apparently only opens the boss door instead of multiple doors and the big chest.

I don't think the bow and arrow is indicative of anything. That could have been just put in for the demo. The hammer is definitely required for this dungeon though. We'll see. The dungeon could also be an incomplete version of the actual dungeon, scaled for demo purposes.

RagnarokX

It's a demo designed specifically to let you play around with some of the new mechanics in the game... This means you probably have the upgraded versions of all the items. I mentioned this in the other thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if the enchanted never empty quiver is an upgrade found later in the game. I'm probably wrong, but I can hope.

You can't even begin that dungeon without the hammer. You have to get it from somewhere.
I don't think the bow and arrow is indicative of anything. That could have been just put in for the demo. The hammer is definitely required for this dungeon though. We'll see. The dungeon could also be an incomplete version of the actual dungeon, scaled for demo purposes.

That's what I was implying with the comment about the dungeon not having a dungeon item. The dungeon item could even be the bow.

Teppic

I'm more positive to the game after watching the footage. Looks better than PH and ST. Still doesn't feel like a ALTTP sequel, more like another PH/ST game, but with an (undoubtedly) better overworld.

The sticking to the wall ability, for example, is something I think fits better with the style of Wind Waker. It just feels out of place in ALTTP.

zroid

Banned
I'm assuming this is the dungeon where he gets the hammer, given that most of the puzzles revolve around it. Nothing in the demo showed link GETTING a new item, so yeah, this is not a complete dungeon.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the hammer and vaulting yourself between floors is a central gimmick throughout every dungeon. It's the kind of mechanic they would want to capitalize on for the 3DS.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
So the arrow charging thing is a bit weird, look at these two gifs:
diagarrowlpaid.gif

altt2arrowchargev8u9w.gif

The first arrow in the first gif did was a long charge, the second one wasn't, yet took a big chunk of energy.

The first arrow in the second gif was a short charge, but the second arrow, by eyeballing it looks like it took as long as the second arrow on the first gif.

Maybe strafing while charging an arrow takes up more energy? Maybe I'm a lunatic looking into this more than it needs to be and should wait for the game to come out?
Definitely a yes to the second question :lol

Of course they are!

Hmmm... maybe you upgrade your arrows (i.e. they take less stamina), or maybe you upgrade your stamina but the bar remains the same size.

We won't know, the demo they played seems to only be the dungeon so we can't compare to over world in the trailer, the demo also could have just been like that so they could shoot more arrows in the demo.

Lunar15

Second nitpick:

Moldorm doesn't blow up in pieces. Always loved that in the original. C'MON NINTENDO THIS GAME SUCKS. CHILDHOOD RUINED.

You can't even begin that dungeon without the hammer. You have to get it from somewhere.

That's what I was implying with the comment about the dungeon not having a dungeon item. The dungeon item could even be the bow.
Demo... Who's to say the demo is actually a dungeon from the game?
It could be like the RE Revelations demo. It used assets from the game, but that sequence wasn't part of the full game.

serplux

Yeah, despite this being a sort of New Legend of Zelda for many reasons, the music is amazing with no bahs at all! :lol Man, the boss theme.

As long as we get the overworld theme from Link's Awakening/Oracle of Ages/Seasons, I'm happy. That is, if they don't make a new one entirely.

RM8

I need this game. LTTP is pretty much the only Zelda I like a lot, everything about this looks great.

serplux

I need this game. LTTP is pretty much the only Zelda I like a lot, everything about this looks great.

Link%27s_Crossbow_Training.jpg

No one liked this. :(

I'm rather surprised that Nintendo has never really tried to make a notable spinoff series from the Zelda franchise.

Top Bottom