• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda Breath of the WIld Weapons Gameplay video

ReyVGM

While this is very cool, I'm actually concerned about games making the player too passive.

There is minimal input from the player in there. 99% of the action in that gif was played out by the computer. Watching a video of gif could replicate what you see in game.

If this was a Sim game like Sim City, then yeah, that's fine, but I'm worried about how this will be fun in Zelda. Zelda isn't Sim City.

But that's just one situation. If you want you can take a torch, stick, deku leaf, club, wood shield or arrow, light it on fire and burn the grass yourself.

ReyVGM

Again, these are fairly simplistic and limited interactions being shown here, and many of them don't really seem to have any purpose in the game and as tools of the player besides the sheer novelty of their own existence. I get that these sort of "you can do anything" interactions are how you sell directionless sandbox titles to the masses, but I don't see anything that's more impressive than what the competition is doing.

The "competition" is several unrelated games of different genres. Zelda is the only one combining the antics of a game like Just Cause/GTA with the openness of a game like Skyrim/Witcher.

And I don't get that feeling a lot of people have that this Zelda needs to do something no one has done before. Is Street Fighter 5 a more superior game than Tekken because it uses 6 buttons for moves?
Is Virtua Fighter inferior to King of Fighter because it doesn't have projectile attacks? No, they are just different games.

And what's even so groundbreaking about Skyrim and Witcher 3? Sure, they are more refined and graphically impressive, but those games are repeating the exact same template previous open world games have been using for decades now.
The difference is most of those open world games were only on the PC/Online in a time when most of use were still playing Sonic 1 or Ocarina of Time, and thus, since most of us started experiencing them on consoles pretty much last generation, then they still feel new and exciting.

But if Elder Scrolls, Witcher, Dragon Age, Fallout can just keep repeating the same open world elements over and over (but with better graphics) and still be praised for it, then by god Zelda can do the same (and it worked judging by how many accolades it has received).

Top Bottom