• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newest MGSV patch added a hidden feature in it (spoilers for story)

Roni

Gold Member
Okay, boo-hoo. Poor you. You have to deal with the fact people still want Quiet to be playable in a game. This hurts you... how? The arc is still good. Quiet still leaves the first time. Unless you REALLY want her back, there's no reason you can't replay that mission and shoot her in the head and continue on as if she's gonzo for real.

Wtf, dude, I just said it doesn't hurt me.

Despite applauding Kojipro on some degree to letting her actually exit the game after her ending, I always figured and hoped that they allow her to still be played after the fact. I'm glad they actually did it. With the creative/fun ways there are to cheese that boss battle, I don't mind it having to be done seven times, not too much anyway.

fans request lots of things that are stupid

fans are the reason we got MGS4

fans are stupid, it's best for creators to never ever listen to fans. Considering Kojima is now gone, Konami is just pandering to the fanbase for the sake of $$$$$$$$

Was going to ask if you were a fan, but I guess things have changed.

Ridley327

Is this the hidden thing people were talking about a week or so ago?

No, that thing is likely the FOB event to disable all the nukes in the community to trigger the "final" cutscene in the game showing as such. That cutscene has been online for a while now, so Konami better have something more worthwhile in store for the event.

LaneDS

The fact you can complete 98% (I think that's the percent I was at anyway before losing her) of the game already with having Quiet sort of already evaporated any 'sting' from her departure. All this did was enable those people who kept the emblem equipped to finish the rest and recruit her again. I don't understand how someone can be upset about it.

That's only true if you knew ahead of time that she can leave you or you're really strict at clearing all the side content before letting the credits roll. I went in unspoiled and never knew to avoid that mission or do the butterfly emblem thing, so for me (and I'm sure others) there was indeed some small sense of loss there. I mostly said "oh well, that's that" and moved on but was a little bummed that I couldn't at least keep playing the remaining content with her available, which is what I incorrectly assumed I'd be able to do.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny, I actually got a lot out of MGSV by doing the opposite. When doing the side objectives, I gained a lot more appreciation for the number of different ways each mission can play out. When playing through each story mission once or maybe twice the first time (when you're limited by what gear you have at that point in the story), you don't really get to see the full scope of the missions.

After doing the tasks and seeing all of the machinations in play and all of the ways the mission could be completed, that would give me ideas to come up with a plan for S-ranking the mission. It was surprising when I realized that this scratched many of the same itches that the Hitman games do, when going for Silent Assassin ranking (for different reasons, obviously; here it's more about being quick and efficient rather than being quiet and not leaving a trace). Doing the secondary tasks with upgraded gear and whatnot allowed me to essentially "rehearse" for the perfect S-rank run. It's led to a lot of "Hey, maybe I can do this..." moments that feel really rewarding when they work out.

I think it's really cool that taking the opposite approach seems to scratch that Goldeneye itch for others. In all honesty, I was pretty positive overall towards MGSV at the time that I finished the main story, in spite of all of its shortcomings. But it's gone way up in my eyes since I've gone back and replayed the main missions for completion/S-ranks. There's so much more there than I was initially giving it credit for.

Treating it like Hitman Silent Assassin and Blood Money are good ways to tackle this game as well. The side missions really help you appreciate how much detail was put into the NPC A.I., conversations and separate story threads within each mission. If it wasn't for what has been happening this year to Konami and Koji Pro and if this game didn't have (incomplete) issues with story and pacing, I could easily see this game winning multiple awards for blowing a lot of other games out of the water. However, what's there and what's in the game to explore is really, really good.

Oh man, now I'm really looking forward to tackling those side objectives.

If you're the type to get fatigued from a game, make sure you take a break before going after the side missions. When we say it's an entirely different game, it's because it really feels that way. They require patience and learning of your environments, enemy patterns, weapon creativity, and where to be at the right time and right place. I'd say do this quiet mission 7 times(if you want to retrieve her again) then come back to the game a bit later to feel refreshed.

That's only true if you knew ahead of time that she can leave you or you're really strict at clearing all the side content before letting the credits roll. I went in unspoiled and never knew to avoid that mission or do the butterfly emblem thing, so for me (and I'm sure others) there was indeed some small sense of loss there. I mostly said "oh well, that's that" and moved on but was a little bummed that I couldn't at least keep playing the remaining content with her available, which is what I incorrectly assumed I'd be able to do.

I couldn't keep her around because I wanted the thing you get for S-ranking all missions, which ended up being really helpful for some side missions.

BadWolf

Despite applauding Kojipro on some degree to letting her actually exit the game after her ending, I always figured and hoped that they allow her to still be played after the fact. I'm glad they actually did it. With the creative/fun ways there are to cheese that boss battle, I don't mind it having to be done seven times, not too much anyway.

Yeah it does make sense if you think about it, she takes a good amount of effort to upgrade and adds a lot of depth to the gameplay.

If you're the type to get fatigued from a game, make sure you take a break before going after the side missions. When we say it's an entirely different game, it's because it really feels that way. They require patience and learning of your environments, enemy patterns, weapon creativity, and where to be at the right time and right place. I'd say do this quiet mission 7 times(if you want to retrieve her again) then come back to the game a bit later to feel refreshed.

I finished my second fresh playthrough recently so I'm in the midst of a break from the game right now.

Will be tackling these the next time I get back to it :)

Was going to ask if you were a fan, but I guess things have changed.

I am and will always be a fan of the series, I simply hated MGS4 and the direction it went and was extremely bored by MGSV in the story department.

The one decent sub plot the game had (and that's not saying much) is now negated in the worst way possible. No story explanation for her turning up again, zero cutscenes, just ignore it and pretend like it never happened by grinding missions.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Her return has nothing to do with the story, it's just for gameplay.

Story-wise she left and never returned.

Right now, she's actually just a figment of Snake's imagination a la (David Fincher movie spoiler)
Tyler Durden

Yeah, but if you were blind then you wouldn't suspect doing the 7 missions to get her back. Only after going online to look it up would you see it. And by then you already knew about the Butterfly thing before it. I don't know, I just don't see there being any sense of loss regardless of whose shoes I'm in. It really seems like it depends on whether you see her absence to mean something or not. I really don't. It didn't have the same impact as FF7 and the death of a PC for me.

Yeah, but if you were blind then you wouldn't suspect doing the 7 missions to get her back. Only after going online to look it up would you see it. And by then you already knew about the Butterfly thing before it. I don't know, I just don't see there being any sense of loss regardless of whose shoes I'm in. It really seems like it depends on whether you see her absence to mean something or not. I really don't. It didn't have the same impact as FF7 and the death of a PC for me.
He may have suspected that replaying the missions would unlock something though... I did :( I could probably dig up some posts from over a month ago where I probably sounded like a madman or a fanboy ;p

When I noticed that all the 'character recruit' missions for lost characters had Replay added before the titles, I thought maybe there was something up with that. I mean, all the missions are replays... why single out those. So, I actually began replaying Mission 11 a few times just based on the hint the game gives you. Then, when you notice she gets puts back in the Brig haha I thought I was on to something so I replayed that mission probably close to 10 times (also because it's so fun to do creatively). In my case though I probably split my replays evenly between the normal and extreme version so it would have been a while before I naturally discovered it... But when I noticed it only occured with Quiet, not Huey or Eli, then I started to feel some doubt, and eventually gave up figuring it meant nothing.

But... I mean, imagine if that was kept secret and I casually discovered it some day in a year or two haha I'd probably be going bat shit ;p

//edit// found 2 posts here and here from end of september where I was talking about this haha soooo happy it ended up coming true... missed my sniping buddy

IISANDERII

Right now, she's actually just a figment of Snake's imagination a la (David Fincher movie spoiler)
Tyler Durden
Its-Very-Clever-Tyler-Durden-Sarcastic-In-Fight-Club.gif

Top Bottom