• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Assasin's Creed game setting around Vikings

giphy.gif

tumblr_oyn95lt3OT1tt3wuco1_500.gif

42824697732_dc60d08041_o.gif

Isn’t that going to be a ps4 exclusive? :(

D3SCHA1N

Sounds cool. Combat is not my favourite since Origins but maybe they will take some lessons from GoW.

Yeah, I don't really care for the combat at all anymore. They've completely abandoned the one unique concept they had in the social stealth aspect, and a Viking setting certainly won't bring that back.

They need to go to Japan already, and make the Assassin a ninja. The whole thing is perfect for it.

Does the combat element in AC really jive well with being a ninja anymore though? The combat now is so lame in AC, I don't see how having that kind of combat system would gel with the concept of being ninja-like, playing as a samurai could work I guess though, since they've all but abandoned the stealth element already anyway.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Yeah, I don't really care for the combat at all anymore. They've completely abandoned the one unique concept they had in the social stealth aspect, and a Viking setting certainly won't bring that back.

Does the combat element in AC really jive well with being a ninja anymore though? The combat now is so lame in AC, I don't see how having that kind of combat system would gel with the concept of being ninja-like, playing as a samurai could work I guess though, since they've all but abandoned the stealth element already anyway.
Yeah I'm thinking of the stealth part, and him being an assassin. That's easily the ninja type. I haven't played the recent Assassin's Creed though so I've no idea about the change in stealth. I'm still stuck in the Altair era :messenger_beaming:

Lanrutcon

I'm not sure what you're talking about. You can stealth kill entire fortresses in seconds in Odyssey, and leave no trace. You're already a ninja in Odyssey with Assassin Rush, Critical Assassinate, Predator Shot, Hero Strike, etc. Just give the main character back smoke bomb and let him/her Naruto run across roofttops...bam. Assassin's Creed Weebo.

Social stealth has been gone for ages now, but it was bloody stupid anyway. Oh look, I sat on a bench. They'll never find me now, said the heavily armed guy in the suspicious white hood.

Vikings are cool, but will their "cities" be fun to explore? I can only picture small huts scattered about and maybe a feast hall in the middle of the town/s.
Sea battles on those long boats could be awesome though.

What will we parkour in 8th century western Europe? Trees? 20ft high Abbeys? Cliffs?

If they make it focus on the Rus river Vikings then perhaps. Can at least visit Constantinople.

Last edited:

zenspider

Every time a new AssCreed gets announced/leaked I think about how far the series has strayed from it's original promise of an assassin simulator in a living world.

Here's hoping Scandanavia can inspire something more than a zero stakes icon scrubber in a 'Pirates of the Carribean' ride through Viking tropes.

Every time a new AssCreed gets announced/leaked I think about how far the series has strayed from it's original promise of an assassin simulator in a living world.

Here's hoping Scandanavia can inspire something more than a zero stakes icon scrubber in a 'Pirates of the Carribean' ride through Viking tropes.

The thing is is the original Assassin's Creed is not a very good game, cool idea on paper, kinda dull in practice, I got bored after only a few hours and never touched it since.

Same deal with 2, even though 2 got a lot of acclaim it also bored me.

They were smart to move it in a general "historical adventure" direction without the strict focus on assassination.

Last edited:

zenspider

The thing is is the original Assassin's Creed is not a very good game, cool idea on paper, kinda dull in practice, I got bored after only a few hours and never touched it since.

Same deal with 2, even though 2 got a lot of acclaim it also bored me.

They were smart to move it in a general "historical adventure" direction without the strict focus on assassination.

You're right, though I still count the first few hours of ACII as one of the greatest games I ever played before I realized it was a low stakes sham.

I wonder if the next gen tech and a recommitment to the original ideas could fufill that promise.

It probably was a smart move, but boy is it dull.

Ubisoft is trying really hard to avoid Japan like it's the black plague.
They don't have the confidence to make a ninja game. They can't really be criticized for ancient egypt, victorian England etc because they can't be directly compared to the few games in that period.

If they make Japan, the comparisions to Tenchu, way of the samurai, shinobido, ninja gaiden, sekiro etc are going to come and they don't have the skill to go up against that.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I wouldn't mind a main line Assassin's Creed done in China
Redo the combat system bring back the counter attacks, go big on the martial arts.
Get Jackie Chan to choreography the combat and parkour lol
They should really focus on the combat of the era's and locations to spice up the series.
Make it unique to each game.

Last edited:
We will come full circle, and they will make an assassins creed set in present day. Basically a rebrand of Watch Dogs.

Both Origins and Odyssey felt like the same game.

This Franchise bores me.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I wonder how they are going to virtue signal with that setting.

What was the status of women, people of color and gays in Viking areas?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Dang, was hoping for a feudal era AC. Vikings ain’t bad, but would have prefer Japan.
We already got Sekiro and later on we are getting Ghost of Tsushima and in all honestly, Ubisoft games looks so boring and dull no matter what setting they do......at least to me.

Kadayi

Banned
I like the idea of a Viking game, however, I'm not entirely sure once it's been run through the Blancmange-o-matic Ubisoft design process it will necessarily be all that compelling with everything questionable and potentially offensive to perceived modern sensibilities scrubbed away.

Hudo

What will we parkour in 8th century western Europe? Trees? 20ft high Abbeys? Cliffs?

If they make it focus on the Rus river Vikings then perhaps. Can at least visit Constantinople.
There should be a horror themed AC set in medieval times (black plague and all that), where the cities will be made up of large piles of corpses that we can parkour over.

anthraticus

Banned
I like the idea of a Viking game, however, I'm not entirely sure once it's been run through the Blancmange-o-matic Ubisoft design process it will necessarily be all that compelling with everything questionable and potentially offensive to perceived modern sensibilities scrubbed away.
There's always Expeditions: Viking. Their first game Ex:expeditions: Conquistador was pretty cool.

Haven't played Ex: V at all yet, as I'm not crazy about the theme/also think Vikings are boring.

D3SCHA1N

I'm not sure what you're talking about. You can stealth kill entire fortresses in seconds in Odyssey, and leave no trace. You're already a ninja in Odyssey with Assassin Rush, Critical Assassinate, Predator Shot, Hero Strike, etc. Just give the main character back smoke bomb and let him/her Naruto run across roofttops...bam. Assassin's Creed Weebo.

Social stealth has been gone for ages now, but it was bloody stupid anyway. Oh look, I sat on a bench. They'll never find me now, said the heavily armed guy in the suspicious white hood.

I don't know what all those moves you mentioned even are, I haven't played Odyssey because after Origins I realized I wasn't a huge fan of the direction they've taken. I don't like the combat anymore, and in the videos I saw of Odyssey, they're just getting silly with it having you teleport around following spear throws and launch mortar strikes with bow shots. Navigation mechanics seem to have taken a back seat as well, it's all streamlined now and seems to lack any complexity.

With the mention of social stealth I was talking more about the idea of blending into crowds to close the gap and approach a target, not so much the sitting on benches. I thought it was a system that had potential for interesting mechanics but they abandoned it in favor of doubling down on the ship fighting mechanic I guess since that is jammed in to every game now.

The viking theme interests me, but personally I'd been wanting a Far Cry with a viking setting, not AC and for me AC's gameplay no longer matches with what I want in a ninja game.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I'm cool with this. Playing Origins and love the setting and RPGness of it. Will play Odyssey next and heard a lot of great things. I was hoping for Rome next too. I think they are fine doing Vikings and should only do Japan next gen and have a whole Asia theme.

Lanrutcon

I don't know what all those moves you mentioned even are, I haven't played Odyssey because after Origins I realized I wasn't a huge fan of the direction they've taken. I don't like the combat anymore, and in the videos I saw of Odyssey, they're just getting silly with it having you teleport around following spear throws and launch mortar strikes with bow shots. Navigation mechanics seem to have taken a back seat as well, it's all streamlined now and seems to lack any complexity.

With the mention of social stealth I was talking more about the idea of blending into crowds to close the gap and approach a target, not so much the sitting on benches. I thought it was a system that had potential for interesting mechanics but they abandoned it in favor of doubling down on the ship fighting mechanic I guess since that is jammed in to every game now.

The viking theme interests me, but personally I'd been wanting a Far Cry with a viking setting, not AC and for me AC's gameplay no longer matches with what I want in a ninja game.

Oh. You haven't actually played the game you're making sweeping comments about. Ok then.

Carry on.

D3SCHA1N

Oh. You haven't actually played the game you're making sweeping comments about. Ok then.

Carry on.

If I'm making "sweeping comments", it's about the series as a whole, Odyssey is the only one I have yet to play. Besides, I never specified Odyssey in my original post, and I have played Origins. I've also seen enough video of Odyssey to know it's quite similar gameplay-wise to Origins and make what I feel are informed statements on the matter. I actually own Odyssey I just haven't opened it yet. Picked it up when it was on sale for $20, saving it for a dry spell.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Never specified Odyssey in my original post, and I have played Origins. Seen enough video of Odyssey to know it's quite similar gameplay-wise to Origins and make what I feel are informed statements on the matter.

Origins is like an Odyssey prototype, in terms of mechanics. This is especially true in terms of abilities, combat and gear. Stealth is worse in Origins than in Odyssey, for example. It's far easier to be a ninja in Odyssey, and the combat is the closest it's ever been to an actual combat system instead of some half-assed rhythm game where a 7 year old could parry everything to death. I doubt the series will ever regress back the hyper basic gameplay of the initial titles, given the leap to Origins and then beyond.

If that's not your cup of tea, then cool: AC 2 Brotherhood is fantastic and still exists, but the series has obviously picked a direction that's working out for it and adding more depth than ever. I'll happily debate you on the specifics if you ever play the game.

And yeah, we're going to have a ship again in the next game. Can't wait.

SaucyJack

The Viking era goes through to the late 11th century. London, Winchester And York would be I teresting around that time, for example.

The Viking era goes through to the late 11th century. London, Winchester And York would be I teresting around that time, for example.

Even London up until the 1100's was just a medium town of only ~15,000 peeps, far reduced from its roman days. Paris river fortress and its surrounding shanty towns closer to 80,000. Constantinople had ~800,000 in the city proper behind the walls. We're talking early medieval period. There's not much to climb on in those far western regions up until the 1300's. You'd end up exploring giant single story wooden shanty towns around rather limited churches, castles and forts.

Wa1PQ8p.jpg

Last edited:
I kind of was expecting a return to Rome or something more in that vein, but I can’t argue with Vikings. Well, Japan would have been more interesting, but I’d be happy with the Vikings if we can’t have Japan.

Top Bottom