• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen: 3D Realms CEO Muses on Next Gen

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2119&Itemid=2

3D Realms CEO Muses Next Gen
By Kris Graft

Scott Miller, CEO of 3D Realms, reveals in his blog that he still has no Xbox 360 development machine, and also mildly speculates that the Revolution may be Nintendo's last console.

"Many people have asked me to comment about the next-gen consoles, and frankly I have nothing enlightened to say," Miller writes. "I've yet to touch the controller of any of them. I can't find an X360 to buy in stores, and we have yet to get a development machine sent from Microsoft even though Prey is being developed for their system."

Miller also had his own predictions for the next generation console war, which weren't exactly bold, outside of the insinuation that the Revolution may be the company's final console. "My prediction for this new round of consoles is that the X360 and PS3 will wind up about equal in terms of sales, with Nintendo's Revolution coming in a distant third--perhaps this will be the last console from this company."

He continued, "The X360 gains ground on the PS3 this cycle by virtue of two points: 1.) Xbox Live rocks (from what I've heard -- again, no first-hand experience). 2.) The X360 has a big head start over the PS3. Finally, I cannot comment on the Revolution's controller until I try one."

:lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Garbage interview.

And the crowd roars, "Throw it back throw it back" :lol

3D Realms... I feel like I need a new "forever dumb" comment.

Maybe... If 3D Realms produced a game that people could play, there might be interest in what he says, otherwise... it's more fanboi banter.

Xdrive05

NEXT WEEK: 3dRealms CEO comments that Duke Nukem Forever us up and running on their brand new 360 dev kit. DNF is expected to hit the shelves in Q4 of the apocolypse.

Xdrive05 said:
NEXT WEEK: 3dRealms CEO comments that Duke Nukem Forever us up and running on their brand new 360 dev kit. DNF is expected to hit the shelves in Q4 of the apocolypse.
well wouldn't that be.... ah never mind.

Ponn

Banned
I don't see any of the big three wasting a development kit on them. The interview really does show how out of the loop they are.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
mckmas8808 said:
Garbage interview.

And the crowd roars, "Throw it back throw it back" :lol

It wasn't an interview. This news is posted on his blog, which hasn't been updated since August until yesterday

Ronok

Can'y really blame Microsoft for not sending one..... Developers that actually release games seem to take precidence in this kinda thing. =P

Uncle

Jerkface said:
Well I would imagine Human Head Studios have 360 devkits but the 3D Realms CEO apparently doesn't.

I hope so. It's just that this bit

"we have yet to get a development machine sent from Microsoft even though Prey is being developed for their system"

gives me the impression of the opposite. Though Miller could be just talking nonsense.

tegdf

WTF would MS, Sony, or Nintendo give 3DRealms a fucking dev kit when they've been working on DNF for the last 9 years and it still doesn't have a damn release date

Sabre Fox

Didn't get one shipped from Microsoft huh? Maybe you should ask them and they would... does he know what an Xbox 360 is considering he has not even touched one?

Ponn

Banned
tegdf said:
WTF would MS, Sony, or Nintendo give 3DRealms a fucking dev kit when they've been working on DNF for the last 9 years and it still doesn't have a damn release date

Wow, that's like 3 generations of gaming consoles right there. I will never say a bad word about Square Enix being late on games again.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ponn01 said:
Wow, that's like 3 generations of gaming consoles right there. I will never say a bad word about Square Enix being late on games again.

To be fair it is only two generations of gaming consoles ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Jerkface said:
Well I would imagine Human Head Studios have 360 devkits but the 3D Realms CEO apparently doesn't.

Either that or the people at Human Head Studios are either FREAKING GENIOUSES or maybe Prey won't be releasing anytime soon ;).

Ponn

Banned
Panajev2001a said:
To be fair it is only two generation of gaming consoles ;).

Depends on view. PSX, N64 then Dreamcast which some considered a different generation (some thought that of N64 though really). Then PS2 and Xbox and now we have Xbox 360 and PS3. We aren't through the Xbox 360 and PS3 gen yet, but DNF isn't out yet either and we have at least reached this next gen.

4 years ago working at Gamestop I found a couple reserves for DNF on the old Babbages name receipt and we all laughed about it then. 4 years later and it's not even funny anymore (well maybe a little) but just sad.

Borys

Banned
Grath said:
Yes, thats why an Xbox 360 version video is downloadable from the official site...

I asked politely, thanks for the answer. I didn't watch *all* Prey trailers/ footages.

jarosh

This is awesome!

"Hi, my name is Scott Miller. I have nothing to say. But I heard that some stuff just came out and in the future more stuff will probably come out. And some of this stuff will be good while other stuff will be bad. I know this because: Some stuff is already out and people are saying that this stuff is good. The stuff that will come out later will be late because this stuff is already out now (from what I've heard -- no first-hand experience). I cannot comment on any of the stuff, though, because no one sent me stuff and I haven't seen stuff."

Gio_CoD

Banned
Boards of Canada said:
Serious question: How DOES 3D Realms stay in business?
The only thing I know is that they own the licensing rights to Prey and Max Payne. They don't actually develop the games, they just farm out the licenses to other developers. I believe Remedy was behind Max Payne, and Human Head is behind Prey.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
MassiveAttack said:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2119&Itemid=2

3D Realms CEO Muses Next Gen
By Kris Graft

Scott Miller, CEO of 3D Realms, reveals in his blog that he still has no Xbox 360 development machine, and also mildly speculates that the Revolution may be Nintendo's last console.

"Many people have asked me to comment about the next-gen consoles, and frankly I have nothing enlightened to say," Miller writes. "I've yet to touch the controller of any of them. I can't find an X360 to buy in stores, and we have yet to get a development machine sent from Microsoft even though Prey is being developed for their system."

Miller also had his own predictions for the next generation console war, which weren't exactly bold, outside of the insinuation that the Revolution may be the company's final console. "My prediction for this new round of consoles is that the X360 and PS3 will wind up about equal in terms of sales, with Nintendo's Revolution coming in a distant third--perhaps this will be the last console from this company."

He continued, "The X360 gains ground on the PS3 this cycle by virtue of two points: 1.) Xbox Live rocks (from what I've heard -- again, no first-hand experience). 2.) The X360 has a big head start over the PS3. Finally, I cannot comment on the Revolution's controller until I try one."

:lol

:lol :lol

what an idiot.

with Revolution getting fairly close to release, I would not be surprised if Nintendo's R&D divisions are in the early stages of planning Revolution's successor.

Microsoft and Sony already are...well Sony definitally is, while Microsoft's X360 teams are getting a break but that does not mean other MS R&D divisions are not looking toward the future.

no doubt Nintendo is too. now if Revolution fails miserably, I suppose there is *some* chance that Nintendo will go handheld-only, but that's a small chance. I expect Revolution to sell 30 to 40 million units and that Nintendo will have an even more Revolutionary system of some kind in 5-6 years.

**cue time paradox**

BREAKING PRESS RELEASE - February 11th, 2006

3D Realms, the creative force behind hits Max Payne and Duke Nukem aquires Xbox Development Kit.

"We've finally got one" says CEO Scott Miller. "Xbox Live is a blast and we hope to aquire 360 development kits in the next five years."

When asked about the status of Duke Nukem Forever, the sequel to the long-awaited hit Duke Nukem 3D, Miller said that "it's a blast" even though he hasn't tried it.

Analysts speculate Duke Nukem Forever, will be 3D Realm's last game.

Mooreberg

Uncle said:
So Prey for X360 won't be coming out anytime soon..?

3D Realms is no longer in charge of developing it, so chances are you'll actually be able to play it by the the end of the year. :lol

Can't say I blame Microsoft for not sending them dev kits either. For all grief Valve causes with delays, they still manged to ship their product in November 1998 and a sequel six years later. :lol

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
im shocked that noone has posted that hilarious 'prey' image with the breasts. and the coloured disco floor.

jipe

Haleon said:
The only thing I know is that they own the licensing rights to Prey and Max Payne. They don't actually develop the games, they just farm out the licenses to other developers. I believe Remedy was behind Max Payne, and Human Head is behind Prey.

They actually sold the rights to Max Payne to Take-Two. I'd guess they're funding "development" on DNF and Prey with the cash from that deal.

_bla_

I guess Nintendo has nothing to fear if their death is supposed to happen after the release of Duke Nukem Forever.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
_bla_ said:
I guess Nintendo has nothing to fear if their death is supposed to happen after the release of Duke Nukem Forever.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I was a believer but this interview is the nail in the coffin. Fuck 3DRealms. Duke3D must of been a fluke.

ThirdEye

MassiveAttack said:
"I've yet to touch the controller of any of them. I can't find an X360 to buy in stores, and we have yet to get a development machine sent from Microsoft even though Prey is being developed for their system."
MassiveAttack said:
2.) The X360 has a big head start over the PS3.
Something doesn't add up.

As for Xbox Live, well... did it contribute to the success of the first Xbox?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
You have to remember that Xbox may only have 23 million market share but has 43 million mindshare and that is mostly thanx to XBL yes.

Tain

In other news, Haleon predicts that Duke Nukem 3D was the last game 3D Realms will ever make.

I was a believer but this interview is the nail in the coffin. Fuck 3DRealms. Duke3D must of been a fluke.

image.gif
shadow_warrior.jpg

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Completely unrelated, but 3D Realms gave permission to me and some of my friends to use a ton of Max Payne sounds for a student film. I think we even sent it to them...dunno if they ever sent anything back though...

Top Bottom