• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
A simple explanation is that Navi10Lite is the gfx portion of the Gonzalo APU, which is designated by AMD coding as a gaming console. Whole DF vid on this...

Don’t know if it’s me this forum is more optimistic about specs in comparison to era
85% of reeee- thought PS5 would be 12TF or above. No excuses, too, we always knew Vega 64 wasn't going into consoles, but instead Navi. Navi was being pegged by most as better than Polaris jump in perf/watt. AdoredTV had everyone on the trail of a $250/150W/Vega 64-level GPU with Navi 10.

If you want conservative estimates, check my takes, or DF. We'll have you depressed in no time. :messenger_halo:

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"Based on". In the same sense the PS4's GPU was closest to a Radeon HD 7850, but modified and in an APU.

Both companies back then were being very conservative while shifting to a new platform (x86) and handcuffed with the tech at the time, as well as budget constraints. (MS losing billions and never profiting in gaming, and Sony coming off a thin margin PS3 era).

I have a feeling this time around, since they both have a much higher ceiling in revenue and profits in those divisions, make a killing on the back end of services, better deals worked with AMD due to repeat customers (i.e. longterm contractual agreements), etc., that they are not going to take such a conservative approach hardware wise as in 2013.

Hope I am right.

Edit: Remember, these roadmaps were laid with AMD/Sony/MS almost a decade ago with the initial plans and signing of deals. The whole "ecosystem" thing, etc.. What we see at the consumer announcement level now, has already been in the works for years prior by the 3 of them.

Last edited:

SonGoku

es, they are more expensive now, but have better cost scaling as the gen progresses.
You can use 24gb gddr6 now and when costs drop switch to hbm3, that would make more sense
How does it relate to “this means anaconda has a bigger soc”?
NaviLite = small navi
SNEK 385 mm2 = 64CU (big Navi)
How confident are we that a holiday 2020 PS5 is the Navi10 Lite we are talking about?
0%
This gozolo crap its not related to the PS5 at all, when the PS5 monster die its revealed people will be ashamed of their words and deeds
But why? (with the SSD sitting there and assuming it can feed at a great enough rate)
SSD is not a replacement for memory though, Its used for streaming only (read ops)
It was actually a comment I saw on reddit last week. They guy was like why do devs really need more then 8gb to play in?
And this is why you don't put too much value on random reddit comments lol.
fwiw, biggest TSMC 7nm chip ever

Having our first Versal ACAP silicon back from TSMC ahead of schedule and shipping to early access customers is a historic milestone and engineering accomplishment. It is the culmination of many years of software and hardware investments and everything we’ve learned about architectures over the past 35 years. The Versal ACAP is a major technology disruption and will help spark a new era of heterogeneous compute acceleration for any application and any developer.”

50 billion transistors!!
Size in mm2?
What do you think of this?

I think that he's missing the point of a wider design
With a bigger 64CU chip (56 enabled) you dont need to match the clocks of the smaller chip, the advantage of the bigger chips is using lower voltage and clocks to achieve greater perf/watt than the small chip clocked higher.

I think consoles will use RDNA2.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

It’s dead jim.

“Last year we said consoles, and we’ve shipped a console and we’ve now detailed another console. I think that’s plural,” Spencer said.

“Technically that is plural,” Spencer said with a laugh after I pushed him on the technicality he invoked. “Right now,” he said, “we’re focused on Project Scarlett and what we put on stage.”

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s dead jim.

Either it never existed (which I am kind of finding it hard to believe he meant the discless junk when mentioning "consoles" last year), or they killed it when they got whiff of the competition's spec goals as theorized on here, as well as seeing how some retailers refuse to even carry SAD. Lockhart also had a discless rumor floating around it.

The "technically that's plural" part, with a laugh seems like a backtrack and opportune wordplay save with the release of SAD, just a tad.

Last edited:

demigod

Either it never existed (which I am kind of finding it hard to believe he meant the discless junk when mentioning "consoles" last year), or they killed it when they got whiff of the competition's spec goals as theorized on here, as well as seeing how some retailers refuse to even carry SAD. Lockhart also had a discless rumor floating around it.

The "technically that's plural" part, with a laugh seems like a backtrack and opportune wordplay save with the release of SAD, just a tad.

Yeah I think they killed Lockhart so they wouldn't be faced with 2 weaker consoles compared to PS5.

Romulus

Man a $400 machine just seems like it would be incredibly difficult without a massive loss when looking at the Xbox one X. That machine was $500 without a solid state drive and it had a cheap CPU.
The ps5 will certainly need an expensive cooling solution like X along with a 4k bluray player and with much more power and RAM.. I just don't see how they can cram all that in there, even $500 seems difficult but far more plausible.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I know we are so stuck on the internals and chips used but I also can't wait to see how aesthetically these boxes look. Hope thy look nice.

Reactions: TLZ

Dabaus

Banned
Any disclosures been made about using Heterogeneous System Architecture yet?

HSA Foundation lists Sony as a contributor.

Seems like a good fit for improving console performance. Appears to be some PS4 legacy there too.

Spinning Bird Kick, I just want to say, I often lurk on the shithole SJW hellscape that is resetera and would agree with the points you made about next gen in the next gen thread over there. I noticed any critism or realistic prognastic on xbox's position in the market is strictly forbidden over there. Shame they banned you but i think you will add alot here on neogaf. Assuming your the same poster lol.

I said this in another thread: My personal tin hat theory is Sony delayed the ps5 for whatever reason. Made a good custom Navi chip with amd and is now focused on reducing loading times etc. Mean while Xbox got a lot of negative feed back from developers and probably retail if the discless rumors were to be believed about lockheart. So now Ms has to redesign anaconda to be a more affordable console than it was originally supposed to be. Thats how/why ps5 would be more powerful. Just my speculation of course.

Im going to come out and say it, I think all this hype and hyperbole about anaconda being the most powerful is just that, hype and hyperbole. Microsoft hyped e3 2019 to be their biggest show ever and it was a dud. Phil said he wants crackdown 3 to be a pillar of Xbox first party and its at best a laughing stock. MS planned sony would launch 2019 with a 8 terraflop PS5 so of course it was easy to one up one year later. After Navi got delayed and PS5 got resigned MS got caught with their pants down, again. All my opinion of course.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
small_rdna-die-size.jpg

Apparently according to AMD slides : 1 Tflop RDNA/Navi is more than 1.25x than 1 Tflop GCN/Vega.

We notice RX 5700 XT with 9.75 Tflops is 14% faster than Vega 64 with 12.6 Tflops, so 1 Tflop RDNA/Navi is 1.47x 1 Tflop GCN/Vega.

So if the PS5/Scarlett (Navi) have 9 Tflops for example it would give 13.2 Tflops in GCN/Vega, honestly i find it not bad and the difference is likely to be huge with
the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X which are based on GCN/Polaris (2016).

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
For what its worth here's May's NPD Results. No idea if legit. Keep in mind this is the month that the Discless Xbox came out. Dat xbox collapse. Ready to dominate next gen though because of cloud streaming or something.

Xbox: 86k
PS4: 137k
NSW: 216k

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
For what its worth here's May's NPD Results. No idea if legit. Keep in mind this is the month that the Discless Xbox came out. Dat xbox collapse. Ready to dominate next gen though because of cloud streaming or something.

PS4 consistent and Switch doing good. We all knew tht the digital Xbox which is really just an Xbox s with removed drive wasnt going to do shit. The pricing was way off. I mean you had a Playstation TV which was a mostly digital console (except for the vita cards you could play) much cheaper and tht didnt even do well.

Dabaus

Banned
PS4 consistent and Switch doing good. We all knew tht the digital Xbox which is really just an Xbox s with removed drive wasnt going to do shit. The pricing was way off. I mean you had a Playstation TV which was a mostly digital console (except for the vita cards you could play) much cheaper and tht didnt even do well.

My understanding that the reason that price is as marked up as it is is because retailers dont want to carry a discless box because besides the initial sale, they wont get any of the software sales off of it. Thats one of the reason im thinking lockheart is rumored to be cancelled. Apart of the rumor was that it too was supposed to be discless to get down to that 299 price point. All my opinion and assumption of course.

Tripolygon

Banned
Really? So can you link article or PS4 diagram where people can read about it, because so far all informations I have read mention one command processor in PS4 GPU, not two.

Here's Polaris RX 480 diagram and it show just one command processor
https://hexus.net/media/uploaded/2016/6/607b3ec3-dbfb-4f79-86ac-50afe94eb201.PNG[/IM]

Here's Xbox X SOC diagram and you can see 2x command processors
IMG]https://i.ibb.co/Q8tyJ5R/a1.jpg
It has 2, developers do not have access to 1 along with 1 of the 8 ACEs. As far as I know the same is the case with Xbox One, 1 of the GCP is used for the OS and UI stuff etc.

Evilms

Banned
The npd results are not surprising given that all eyes are on the next gen consoles now and that PS4/XBOs are probably in their final year.

Unlike Microsoft, Sony can still play the price down card to $199 to boost sales. On the other hand, you got the wrong thread.

Last edited:

SonGoku

We notice RX 5700 XT with 9.75 Tflops is 14% faster than Vega 64 with 12.6 Tflops, so 1 Tflop RDNA/Navi is 1.47x 1 Tflop GCN/Vega.
mmm interesting is this spread across multiple games?
My baseline 11TF prediction would be beast with these numbers 16TF

Next gen GPU jump might be bigger than last gen after all, didn't thought that was possible
the acronym is actually XSADE
That's worse lol

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

The npd results are not surprising given that all eyes are on the next gen consoles now and that PS4/XBOs are probably in their final year.

Unlike Microsoft, Sony can still play the price down card to $199 to boost sales. On the other hand, you got the wrong thread.
The base Ps4 500gb with 2 controllers is already down to 240€ here (unofficial price). I think the official 199 is coming sooner than expected.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
small_rdna-die-size.jpg

Apparently according to AMD slides : 1 Tflop RDNA/Navi is more than 1.25x than 1 Tflop GCN/Vega.

So if the PS5/Scarlett (Navi) have 9 Tflops for example it would give 13.2 Tflops in GCN/Vega, honestly i find it not bad and the difference is likely to be huge with
the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X which are based on GCN/Polaris (2016).

Can we please, please, start using theoretical peak FP performance vs sustained/effective instead of saying 1 FP op per second is better than another FP op per second :)?

Things IMHO make more sense that way.

Last edited:
It has 2, developers do not have access to 1 along with 1 of the 8 ACEs. As far as I know the same is the case with Xbox One, 1 of the GCP is used for the OS and UI stuff etc.
Source?

1 of 8 ACEs is reserved for the OS? Why exactly?

This reminds me of Cell SPUs (1 out of 8 as well)...

JLMC469

Banned

Nintendo is kicking ass and tacking names. Hope it continues to dominate. Really happy with their current success.

i wonder if xbox one x will get a 7nm version. thinking of upgrading for cyberpunk.

Why not just wait for the Xbox Scarlett? You'd get a better experience that way and I imagine it would be worth holding off playing until then.

There's a bunch of games I'm planning on holding off on playing until the PS5 is launched, as I'm assuming they'll be cross-gen titles and will be much better than on PS4.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Why not just wait for the Xbox Scarlett? You'd get a better experience that way and I imagine it would be worth holding off playing until then.

There's a bunch of games I'm planning on holding off on playing until the PS5 is launched, as I'm assuming they'll be cross-gen titles and will be much better than on PS4.

you expect me to wait another 6 months?

Spinning Bird Kick, I just want to say, I often lurk on the shithole SJW hellscape that is resetera and would agree with the points you made about next gen in the next gen thread over there. I noticed any critism or realistic prognastic on xbox's position in the market is strictly forbidden over there. Shame they banned you but i think you will add alot here on neogaf. Assuming your the same poster lol.

I said this in another thread: My personal tin hat theory is Sony delayed the ps5 for whatever reason. Made a good custom Navi chip with amd and is now focused on reducing loading times etc. Mean while Xbox got a lot of negative feed back from developers and probably retail if the discless rumors were to be believed about lockheart. So now Ms has to redesign anaconda to be a more affordable console than it was originally supposed to be. Thats how/why ps5 would be more powerful. Just my speculation of course.

Im going to come out and say it, I think all this hype and hyperbole about anaconda being the most powerful is just that, hype and hyperbole. Microsoft hyped e3 2019 to be their biggest show ever and it was a dud. Phil said he wants crackdown 3 to be a pillar of Xbox first party and its at best a laughing stock. MS planned sony would launch 2019 with a 8 terraflop PS5 so of course it was easy to one up one year later. After Navi got delayed and PS5 got resigned MS got caught with their pants down, again. All my opinion of course.

For my sins, I am the same poster. Apparently, if you're not a nodding dog and/or not in sync with the echo chamber then you're a troll. No matter.

There's obvious misinformation been distributed by both sides. I think:
  • MS is far removed from Navi (either very early foundation or next-next-gen?)
    • Too much attention paid to every Navi info drop or spec leak - why the intense interest if you're using it too?
    • Lockhart is still a thing and it will be discless
    • probably have something in the works to beat the 12.9 TF PS dev summit leak but not by a significant amount
  • Sony
    • are going to go for a low launch price regardless of MS shenanigans
    • are packing more than 12.9 TF
E3 was a disappointment. No two ways about it. I think they would have been better not mentioning next gen at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom